Pick 14

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Pick 14

joeyjohnw wrote:For pick 14, Ryan Clarke is probably still my #1 choice ahead of the other mids in our range. Just looks like an out and out gun, likes to get forward and kick goals, gets crazy amounts of the ball, clearance king, hard working pure mid. Read his write-up on afl.com.au; they say there is little downside. For some reason he is being put in the second round of the draft so will be there at 14, but he'll be the best from this draft in a few years, mark my words. If not him I'm still happy with Matho, but would hate to see Clarke at another club.
Seen him play or just read 1 article about him?

uptheboys
Club Player

LTN16 wrote:
joeyjohnw wrote:For pick 14, Ryan Clarke is probably still my #1 choice ahead of the other mids in our range. Just looks like an out and out gun, likes to get forward and kick goals, gets crazy amounts of the ball, clearance king, hard working pure mid. Read his write-up on afl.com.au; they say there is little downside. For some reason he is being put in the second round of the draft so will be there at 14, but he'll be the best from this draft in a few years, mark my words. If not him I'm still happy with Matho, but would hate to see Clarke at another club.
Seen him play or just read 1 article about him?

For what it's worth, played against him this year at school level. Got shut down easily and had minimal impact on the game. Was obvious he had good skills though when he did get his hands on it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If we get either

Oliver, Tucker, Matheson, Gresham, Balic

We will have another seriously good player to complement the current group

Along with Rice

My hope is that we luck out in the 60's and snare a roughie

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If we get either

Along with Rice

All Victorians? Open your narrow mind from this provincial nonsense. You name 5 players - all Victorian. What a joke.
Amazing coincidence if they are the best 5 players at that pick. I mean come on. Open your eyes.

coopergrech
Club Player

Would love one of Clayton Oliver, Ryan Clarke or Jade Gresham! if all 3 are there pick Oliver.

One of those would be great!

coopergrech
Club Player

Lets add another Victorian Ryan Clarke AHA

Along with Rice

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Provincial?? So the footy state of Victoria is now a province... Mmmm

Is it a coincidence, really??

The TAC Cup is the best Junior Comp in the country, and provides the lions share of draftees every year.
Vic Country dominated this year
Vic Country and Vic Metro dominated the AA U18 teams this year
WA were hopeless and their best player is not eligible
The northern states best players are taken by academies Hopper, Mills, Keays, Hipwood, Kennedy
There are a few ok SAs ... But Francis won't be around, Burton is a risk and is pretty much a third fwd like Membrey. I don't think we need a Bonner type HB when we have Webster, Savage, Newnes, Rice, Wright, Geary, McKenzie, Murdoch, Roberton and even others who can play off HB. Partington not good enough at Pick 14/17
Ah Chee is a tricky small half fwd... Withough a great deal of substance to his game... Could be Winguard, likely to be not much ... He is underwhelming IMO we have better smalls Sinclair, Lonie, Billings
Hibberd is another HBF and Lovell, like Partington won't go first round.

So
Not sure if it's provincial ... Or common sense
I couldn't care if they come from Mars... As long as they can play

The 5 I stated are whom I believe are the best players around that pick... Unless someone like Parish, Francis slides.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cal Twomey's 6-20 Rankings

6. Kennedy
7. Francis
8. Curnow
9. Weideman
10. Milera
11.Oliver
12. Balic
13. Keays
14. Hipwood
15. Mathieson
16. Burton
17. Tucker
18. Gresham
19. Ah Chee

20. Collins

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-11-13/ ... his-top-30

SuperDuper
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Cal Twomey's 6-20 Rankings

6. Kennedy
7. Francis
8. Curnow
9. Weideman
10. Milera
11.Oliver
12. Balic
13. Keays
14. Hipwood
15. Mathieson
16. Burton
17. Tucker
18. Gresham
19. Ah Chee

20. Collins

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-11-13/ ... his-top-30
seems we are hoping that H. McKay and Collins get taken before us.. maybe Carlton and Melbourne will want a mix of "types" and take those guys with one of their picks..
Then we should have a decent selection to chose from at our pick

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Along with Rice

All Victorians? Open your narrow mind from this provincial nonsense. You name 5 players - all Victorian. What a joke.
Amazing coincidence if they are the best 5 players at that pick. I mean come on. Open your eyes.

You do realise 50 to 60% of the players drafted will be Victorian. 60% of clubs are Victorian so it is common sense that it will most likely be a Victorian that is drafted by us especially as the interstates will try to also get someone from their state if that player is good enough. You have some strange ideas Con. You had a go at me because I said Balic because he was from Sandy but he is classed as a top 10 pick by some so getting him at 124 would be great and not because he is from Sandy. I would love Parish but that isn't happening so why mention him. You had a go at the club for getting Sinclair because he was a mate of Billings and you said Billings would never be as good as a country player for some strange reason. Now you are having a go at someone for suggesting a Victorian for our pick. Con can you tell us the players you think we should get at around our pick. And there is no point in suggesting top 8 players because we have no hope of getting them.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

As long as there is a photo of our recruit because that apparently means a lot.

You are garbage - Enough said
loris
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:As long as there is a photo of our recruit because that apparently means a lot.
Why? Is this because 'Brian Speaking' told you so? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

loris wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:As long as there is a photo of our recruit because that apparently means a lot.
Why? Is this because 'Brian Speaking' told you so? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Apparently a certain recruit of ours didn't have a photo up on the AFL website on draft night and a certain poster made a big thing out of it.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone seen Collins play, and is he destined to be an A grade key defender?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Along with Rice

Yes I've had the same 5 for quite a while - that might still be available at Saints first DP

Mathieson, Balic, Oliver, Gresham, Tucker.

Like Bailey Rice - then maybe they find a hidden gem with the last DP
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 17 Nov 2015 4:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
ripplug66
Club Player

MCG-Unit wrote:

Along with Rice

Yes I've had the same 5 for quite a while - that might be around at Saints first DP

We may not get another pick in the main draft if we have to use a bit on Rice but them we will just use the PSD for the extra pick we need.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Can someone give a reasonable estimation to how big a drop off there is in talent between whoever we would likely get with our original pick #5, and the 4 or 5 players we have in our sights for pick #14?

Is it the difference between a Lenny Hayes and a Leigh Montagna or a Lenny Hayes and a Dean Polo?

Nee!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

ripplug66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Along with Rice

Yes I've had the same 5 for quite a while - that might be around at Saints first DP

We may not get another pick in the main draft if we have to use a bit on Rice but them we will just use the PSD for the extra pick we need.
Fair enough, I was hoping they might get Rice for 3-4 Rnd DP - not sure what he will cost - or if other clubs bid to drive up the price. (Carlton, and I believe Coll like him as well)
Then yes there's the PSD, or even an extra pick in the Rookie draft.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Has anyone seen Collins play, and is he destined to be an A grade key defender?
Apparently had 5 goals kicked on him by Weiderman

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:We may not get another pick in the main draft if we have to use a bit on Rice but them we will just use the PSD for the extra pick we need.
If we've got a spare spot on our list then there's always another pick in the ND.

SuperDuper
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote: tell us the players you think we should get at around our pick. And there is no point in suggesting top 8 players because we have no hope of getting them.
Not sure what you mean here Pluggs.
If you mean we wont get pick 1-8, then that is obvious. We have pick 15. Pick 1-8 go to the teams that have pick 1-8.

If you mean we wont get a player that our recruiters rate as picks 1-8, well I am sure that we are very hopeful of that happening. Last year we rated Laverde at 7, and he went at 20. We will be hopeful of a similar outcome with someone we rank around 5-8 getting to our pick.

If you mean we wont get someone that the draft "gurus" rank as top 8... then .. who cares?

ripplug66
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:
ripplug66 wrote: tell us the players you think we should get at around our pick. And there is no point in suggesting top 8 players because we have no hope of getting them.
If you mean we wont get pick 1-8, then that is obvious. We have pick 15. Pick 1-8 go to the teams that have pick 1-8.

If you mean we wont get a player that our recruiters rate as picks 1-8, well I am sure that we are very hopeful of that happening. Last year we rated Laverde at 7, and he went at 20. We will be hopeful of a similar outcome with someone we rank around 5-8 getting to our pick.

If you mean we wont get someone that the draft "gurus" rank as top 8... then .. who cares?

Well that's what I mean because we have no idea how the club rate players. I have asked Con to give us some names. Giving us Francis is a waste of time as is giving us an academy player.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

ripplug66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Along with Rice

PSD or do we rookie a prospect?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

will we consider Mitchell Hibberd?..........

saint4life
SuperDuper
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:

Well that's what I mean because we have no idea how the club rate players. I have asked Con to give us some names. Giving us Francis is a waste of time as is giving us an academy player.
I still do not know what you mean by "top 8 players" in your sentence "And there is no point in suggesting top 8 players because we have no hope of getting them."

It seems you mean players ranked in the top 8 by "draft gurus"? Are they the names that Con should not suggest?
I guess there are some names that it seems very clear will not be there at our pick, they cant all be totally wrong... Weitering, Schache, Parish, Francis among them...

But I am pretty sure that Con has no idea who our club rates in their top 8..

Anyway... there is talk of Hibberd being a chance at our pick.. there's a non Victorian for you all...