Pick 14

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 14

ripplug66 wrote:
citywest wrote:We should target the best available (left footer) at pick 14.

So if he was really pick 40 we should get him because he kicks left foot. Luckily the club will just get the best mid available.
If a player is a left footer, it is his junior coach that should be kicked.
Everyone who has ever watched an AFL match has observed how a player who kicks with one foot is limited.
Opponents know where he is going, which way he will turn.
Any player coming into AFL today should be able to kick equally well with either foot, no excuses.

My nephew grew up with a soccer father, he and his team mates were taught from the time they could run to kick the soccer ball with both feet, nephew now coaches soccer.
Guess what he requires.
Why would you allow a child to be coached in AFL by a coach who does not have the same requirement.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ripplug66
Club Player

ace wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

So if he was really pick 40 we should get him because he kicks left foot. Luckily the club will just get the best mid available.
If a player is a left footer, it is his junior coach that should be kicked.
Everyone who has ever watched an AFL match has observed how a player who kicks with one foot is limited.
Opponents know where he is going, which way he will turn.
Any player coming into AFL today should be able to kick equally well with either foot, no excuses.

My nephew grew up with a soccer father, he and his team mates were taught from the time they could run to kick the soccer ball with both feet, nephew now coaches soccer.
Guess what he requires.
Why would you allow a child to be coached in AFL by a coach who does not have the same requirement.

The AFL clubs don't really care if they kick both feet. They care if they kick well on one foot. You are better to train and get your best foot even better than worrying about your wrong foot getting to be just fair.

Comparing it to soccer is a bit silly because they only kick the ball apart from the odd header. We handball as much as kick and we can be tackled with hands. Different pressure.
Last edited by ripplug66 on Sun 25 Oct 2015 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Michael Frost :roll:

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Very few players ever kick on their non-preferred nowadays... Unless they have no alternative.

It is expected that if you are under that much heat that you can't , you dish it off by quick hands to support and that player either accepts a tackle and you re set for a ball up or does the same until you get a player loose..... Rather than use your non preferred under pressure
Turn overs cost goals!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The Saints do very well out of pick 14 traditionally. They average over 190 games and achieve AA status.

Well there was only one but David Grant was pretty handy.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

That is not how the Hawks drafting strategy worked.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Junior
Club Player

What has David. Grant hot to do with pick 14?

He was signed before the draft commenced.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
falka
Club Player

Will be interesting if Keiran Collins is available at 14 and is next on our ranking list.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:What has David. Grant hot to do with pick 14?

He was signed before the draft commenced.
http://footystats.freeservers.com/Footy ... tten).html

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think Callum Twomey was pretty accurate last year if my memory serves me correctly (I cant be bothered checking).

So if we go on what Callum says, in order it will be:

Milera
Tucker
Mathieson
Ah Chee
Bonner
Oliver

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-18/p ... ide-update

Youd think it is almost certain that one of those 6 names will be a Saint in a few weeks time.

I personally feel Oliver is worth taking a punt on. He just seems to have a lot of upside in him - but all of these 6 kids look ok.

I know posters have claimed we are rock solid on Mathieson but I simply refuse to believe the club had completely closed its mind before AFL draft combine testing . For instance Milera kicked 5 goals in a senior SANFL game at the very end of the season and then backed it up at testing. Surely that gets taken into account? Also Oliver tested much better than people expected. Surely that gets taken into account?

stjay
Club Player

From all accounts the club is keen on Mathieson as the stand out although unlikely he makes it to our first pick.
The others are Tucker, Gresham & Bonner. Oliver is a fan fav although unclear how the club rates him - draft bolter for sure & may also not be there @ #14.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:From all accounts the club is keen on Mathieson as the stand out although unlikely he makes it to our first pick.
The others are Tucker, Gresham & Bonner. Oliver is a fan fav although unclear how the club rates him - draft bolter for sure & may also not be there @ #14.
It is interesting because if we go on Twomey's prediction - and I think he is quite accurate normally - then we will get Mathieson as he will still be there at 14.
People might say this is great because he is a 'slider' but it also means other clubs dont think much of him. Do we need another slow midfielder?
Seems like Tucker might also be a big possibility. I like the looks of Bonner.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stjay wrote:From all accounts the club is keen on Mathieson as the stand out although unlikely he makes it to our first pick.
It is interesting because if we go on Twomey's prediction - and I think he is quite accurate normally - then we will get Mathieson as he will still be there at 14.
People might say this is great because he is a 'slider' but it also means other clubs dont think much of him. Do we need another slow midfielder?

According to the insiders on Big footy it sounds like the list you put together is how we rate the players who might be there at the selection we have. We have an unnatural love of Matho. Some see Lenny Hayes. I'm not sure which bit but I'm not getting it. I probably prefer Tucker of the two even. Oliver and Ryan Clarke are guys I would be keen on. Milera seems to have jumped up the order late.

stjay
Club Player

gringo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

According to the insiders on Big footy it sounds like the list you put together is how we rate the players who might be there at the selection we have. We have an unnatural love of Matho. Some see Lenny Hayes. I'm not sure which bit but I'm not getting it. I probably prefer Tucker of the two even. Oliver and Ryan Clarke are guys I would be keen on. Milera seems to have jumped up the order late.
From the few games I have seen Matho was a stand out. Constantly getting the ball going for Vic Country either first or second in the possession chain.
The teams that are likely to take him earlier than #14 are either Carlton or Adelaide.
They either have a specific need for a Matho type OR they have multiple picks in front of us which gives them the latitude to fill their initial need to then go after an inside mid like Matho.
Got to remember he's a two time AA - he's genuine quality and if he is still around @ #14 he will most likely be the best available talent.

Big fan of Ryan Clarke, Oliver looks good, Jade Gresham would be a lock for me if he was 3 inches taller (but then he wouldn't be available @ #14) even Hibberd seems to have huge up side.
I don't know about Tucker. Outside of the romance of him being a Saints fan, by his own admission he struggled under expectations this year which is a big worry for me.
I know he had the ankle injury which interrupted his pre-season but how is he going to fare when he is in the big league?

footynut
Club Player

I we need more quality mids with pace and good decision making ability, but I'm learning towards Ryan Burton if he's still available. Getting a feeling he could be anything, and given he did a 3.09 for the 20-metre sprint and completed the three-kilometre time trial in under 12 minutes and the potential to more into the midfield.

I could see him swapping with Billing on the ball. But I think he'll get picked at 9.

At the start of the year I really rated Matho as an underager, but at the moment I don't think he suits our needs.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote:I we need more quality mids with pace and good decision making ability, but I'm learning towards Ryan Burton if he's still available. Getting a feeling he could be anything, and given he did a 3.09 for the 20-metre sprint and completed the three-kilometre time trial in under 12 minutes and the potential to more into the midfield.

I could see him swapping with Billing on the ball. But I think he'll get picked at 9.

At the start of the year I really rated Matho as an underager, but at the moment I don't think he suits our needs.
Tend to agree re Burton. Was a possible number one before getting injured.
Looking at his 2014 form, he could be absolutely anything. Callum Twomey has him going at pick 12 but if hes still there we should pounce. He considers himself a midfielder.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 5a8c94ccfa

Probably the most welcome sight at the combine was seeing Burton participating in events after 14 months in the rehab group overcoming the serious leg injury that wiped out his 2015 season. The South Australian half-forward, who has designs on becoming a midfielder, ran 3.09 for the 20-metre sprint and did the three-kilometre time trial in under 12 minutes – a good effort considering his preparation. Burton remains one of the most talented players in the pool: he can jump and take hangers, kick goals on both feet and tends to step up at big moments in games.
Milera and Bonner also should come under serious consideration imo. Milera had a good championships, played senior SANFl and then backed it all up with good testing.

SuperDuper
Club Player

A big yes to Burton if there at 14.

Selwood, Stringer, Judd, Lever.. all were known to be guns but slid due to injury

Burton will be a big midfielder... sure he played forward as an under ager.. (kicking 5 in a National Champs game)
But he would have played midfield this year...

reeks of Stringer, who many tipped to slide a lot more due to his leg break... but the Bullies took him at 5 and even there he was a bargain.. far batter than those taken 1-4

I personally can not see Burton getting past Adelaide... especially after their bargain with Lever last year... wow Lever at 14...

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Oliver has something about him. His attack and skill are good and he is a goal kicker. I think he would push for selection in his first year.

karnak
Club Player

I like Oliver from the clips I've seen posted on BigFooty. He really just makes things happen. With AFL training he'll bulk up and reduce his skin folds. Physically he will only get better, faster, stronger etc.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Anyone seen much of Sam Crockers taller little brother? He seems to be rated around pick 30 by some but could easily slip to the rookie draft.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

karnak wrote:I like Oliver from the clips I've seen posted on BigFooty. He really just makes things happen. With AFL training he'll bulk up and reduce his skin folds. Physically he will only get better, faster, stronger etc.
I tend to agree. In his own age group he is a ball winner and can apply good physical pressure. He is very quick over 20 metres breaks away from packs and seems to win clearances. He is a versatile height and good overhead and he really knows where yhe goals sre. 2 solid pre-seasons and he could be anything

avid
Club Player

As long as we get the best midfielder still available at pick 14 we'll get on of these.
We were only ever going to get one of these.
We're doing fine.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I have it on extremely good authority that the guy we are going to take with pick 14 is known by the nickname "The Slider".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Anyone got some love for Greesham @14? Elite kicking, Vic metro captain, pace...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:I have it on extremely good authority that the guy we are going to take with pick 14 is known by the nickname "The Slider".
Ah that clears it up for me.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!