2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

Given the circumstances I feel strongly that we paid too much.

Should have gone harder.

Will of course only be determined on what 14 becomes. If we land a long term gun for 14 then everything is ok.

#1 Ryder fan
ripplug66
Club Player

ace wrote:
realdeal wrote:What happened to us not giving away pick 5? Or if we did give pick 5 we get 2 or at the very least 1 2nd round pick off Essendon?? Yes we got pick 14 but at the expense of our second round pick. Im glad we got Carlisle but really, Ess shouldnt have come out winning like they did.

I hope we make a pact not to deal with Essendon whilst Dodoro is there in future, they are just not worth it.
He bluffed and
We folded our hand.

No we didn't. We got the player we wanted. Who cares what Essendon got. What is important is if we are happy and it seems the club is very happy. What I don't get is people caring if you have a first round pick. It should be the pick number that matters. The Hawks have a first round pick and if the traded that to carlton for their second round they would lose one spot but it would be a second rounder. Who cares. The pick number is all that matters.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
ace wrote:
Playon wrote:
ace wrote:
The_Merchant wrote:Last night the deal looked like a win, win, win. Now it looks more like Essendon are massive winners, Saints close to break even and swans got the raw deal. Don't see why the swans went with that deal.
Sydney got 439 extra points to bid for Mills and Dunkley at the expense of a mid fielder who would have been a reserve midfielder at Sydney in 2016.
No they got 16 points and lost Bird
Exactly, the must have wanted to clear list space or salary off their cap.
The extra points are negligible.
Or they'd rather Carlisle go to us than Hawthorn :)
Well, they wouldn't be unhappy the Hawks didn't get him.

ace
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
ace wrote:WE DON'T HAVE PICK 14

We have pick 14 today but on draft day we have choice 19.
There are 5 academy players who should be called by the clubs going in with the first 13 picks.
If they call one if these academy players then the academy club moves up the order using the points bidding system.
We then slip down the order by one place.
Like I impied this should happen 5 times.
If the 5 don't occur it is only because the calling club knew they would be trumped so did not bother.

WE HAVE CHOICE 19

Yes but the players that are talked about never include the Academy kids so it doesn't matter. We have the 14th pick not including the players that they don't bother mentioning. And I don't think it will be 5 anyway.
I am going by Callum Twomey (AFL) Phantom draft
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-20/u ... form-guide

Using his picks expect
Mills called by pick 3 club being trumped by Sydney
Hopper called by pick 4 club being trumped by GWS
Kennedy called by pick 7 club being trumped by GWS
Keays called by pick 10 club being trumped by Brisbane
Hipwood called by pick 11 club being trumped by Brisbane

Now I agree the academy players are unlikely to be called at those pick numbers because other clubs may not bother.
But in a completely open draft and without the fear of the go home factor they would be called.

But you have probably missed the idea behind my post - pick 14 ain't that great.
Our odds of getting a real gun in a weak draft are not that flash.
At pick 5 Twomey would have allocated us Balic.
Last edited by ace on Wed 21 Oct 2015 1:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saynta
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:So what if Essendon did ok out of it? Our aim wasn't to do them over, it was to get Carlisle and maintain a presence in the first round. We achieved that. Anyone who's motivated by trying to get one over the drug cheats is as bad as they are. That's what they try to do and they failed miserably.

Fair comments on reflection.

realdeal
Club Player

saynta wrote:
ctqs wrote:So what if Essendon did ok out of it? Our aim wasn't to do them over, it was to get Carlisle and maintain a presence in the first round. We achieved that. Anyone who's motivated by trying to get one over the drug cheats is as bad as they are. That's what they try to do and they failed miserably.

We stated we wanted both of their picks in the mid 20's as well.... We didn't do this. Not even one of them.

ripplug66
Club Player

realdeal wrote:
saynta wrote:

We stated we wanted both of their picks in the mid 20's as well.... We didn't do this. Not even one of them.

No but we got 14. Give and take. You don't always get what you want. The rolling stones told me that.

yipper
SS Life Member

realdeal wrote:
saynta wrote:

No, we got pick 14 instead!!??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
BadRossco
Club Player

We were always going to get bent over in the trade period. To be a successful trader you need brains and balls, we have Bains and Cox, doesn't cut the mustard. With our track history WADA are certain to win the appeal but at least the dopers will have a lot more suspensions than us.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
realdeal wrote:
saynta wrote:

No but we got 14. Give and take. You don't always get what you want. The rolling stones told me that.
You can't.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
ace
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:
saynta wrote:

They got our pick in the 20s instead.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ripplug66
Club Player

satchmo wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
realdeal wrote:
saynta wrote:

You can't.

Same to you.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

St.Kilda are reportedly keen to get Lachie Weller out of Fremantle.
The Saints are set to offer Pick 14, Weller is open to it, Fremantle are not interested.
- Ashley Browne, AFL Website. oohhhhh :D :D :D :D

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:St.Kilda are reportedly keen to get Lachie Weller out of Fremantle.
The Saints are set to offer Pick 14, Weller is open to it, Fremantle are not interested.
- Ashley Browne, AFL Website. oohhhhh :D :D :D :D
But those dodos want McCarthy. Take it or leave it

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:
saynta wrote:

By we do you mean the people of Saintsational or the St Kilda Football Club?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Freo are eipic failures if they dont get McCarthy. Another decade of low scores coming up.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

So apparently we got reamed.
Looking

OK then.
Jesus Christ pick 14 does not equal pick 19.

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Freo are eipic failures if they dont get McCarthy. Another decade of low scores coming up.

I don't think you can blame them if GWS make the guy finish a contract. I don't blame GWS either. If he had a year to go you may trade but they make think they can get him to change his mind in 2 years.

To the top
SS Life Member

What we have done is added Carlisle and Freeman to the List - plus Rice to come.

And we have a first round presence at Pick 14.

That is the outcome - and we got the players who have nominated that they wished to play for St Kilda and who we set out to obtain.

End of story.

Given the Draft is being spoken to as "weak", where does that put us with putting players on the Rookie List and, given Sippos picked up 22 Votes in the Sandringham B&F from limited appearances due to injury, would it be a consideration to put him on the Rookie List?

If not, what are the options given the "weak" Draft?

ripplug66
Club Player

To the top wrote:What we have done is added Carlisle and Freeman to the List - plus Rice to come.

That is the outcome - and we got the players who have nominated that they wished to play for St Kilda and who we set out to obtain.

End of story.

Given the Draft is being spoken to as "weak", where does that put us with putting players on the Rookie List and, given Sippos picked up 22 Votes in the Sandringham B&F from limited appearances due to injury, would it be a consideration to put him on the Rookie List?

On that. It seems players nominated us even though we are still at Seaford. maybe they didn't nominate us previously because we were looking like a basket case and it wasn't where we trained. Having said that Freeman lives in Dingley and Rice must live somewhere near Dandy. Carlisle is prepared to come from the North though.

longtimesaint
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote:
To the top wrote:What we have done is added Carlisle and Freeman to the List - plus Rice to come.

End of story.

On that. It seems players nominated us even though we are still at Seaford. maybe they didn't nominate us previously because we were looking like a basket case and it wasn't where we trained. Having said that Freeman lives in Dingley and Rice must live somewhere near Dandy. Carlisle is prepared to come from the North though.
You would think on his contract he could afford to rent a house near Moorabbin/Seaford to ease the travelling.

One year will be our year
markp
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

End of story.

You would think on his contract he could afford to rent a house near Moorabbin/Seaford to ease the travelling.
Or charter a helicopter.

Grrrrr
Club Player

Saints going in for the kill now...

Lachie Weller for pick 14. Jaxons?

jaxons
Club Player

Grrrrr wrote:Saints going in for the kill now...

Lachie Weller for pick 14. Jaxons?

Been saying this for a few weeks, not up to us, up to Freo and their ability to get McCarthy.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
ace wrote:WE DON'T HAVE PICK 14

We have pick 14 today but on draft day we have choice 19.
There are 5 academy players who should be called by the clubs going in with the first 13 picks.
If they call one if these academy players then the academy club moves up the order using the points bidding system.
We then slip down the order by one place.
Like I impied this should happen 5 times.
If the 5 don't occur it is only because the calling club knew they would be trumped so did not bother.

WE HAVE CHOICE 19

Yes but the players that are talked about never include the Academy kids so it doesn't matter. We have the 14th pick not including the players that they don't bother mentioning. And I don't think it will be 5 anyway.
I am going by Callum Twomey (AFL) Phantom draft
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-20/u ... form-guide

Using his picks expect
Mills called by pick 3 club being trumped by Sydney
Hopper called by pick 4 club being trumped by GWS
Kennedy called by pick 7 club being trumped by GWS
Keays called by pick 10 club being trumped by Brisbane
Hipwood called by pick 11 club being trumped by Brisbane

Now I agree the academy players are unlikely to be called at those pick numbers because other clubs may not bother.
But in a completely open draft and without the fear of the go home factor they would be called.

But you have probably missed the idea behind my post - pick 14 ain't that great.
Our odds of getting a real gun in a weak draft are not that flash.
At pick 5 Twomey would have allocated us Balic.
After the draft camps, it turns out that the draft isn't as weak as first suggested. Never is either. You need to advance about 3 or 4 years to really give an opinion whether or not it was a weak or strong draft.