Say Au Revoir to Pick 5

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Say Au Revoir to Pick 5

Potentially a fly in Essendon's soup.
Brisbane was hoping for a second round pick for Leuenberger that would have slotted in at pick 21 = 878 points
But they have been told that Essendon's pay offer to Leuenberger only earns an end of round 2 slotting in at pick 39 = 446 points.
Leuenberger was taken at pick 4.
Brisbane are furious and considering matching Essendon's offer to Leuenberger.
That would deprive Essendon of a trade free recruitment.
Essendon's own fault for not offering Leuenberger enough cash to give Brisbane pick 21.
They would either have to negotiate a trade for Leuenberger or look elsewhere.

It has been suggested that St Kilda offered Hickey and a sweetner for Carlisle, which was rejected by Essendon.
They may now have to reconsider or put a trade value on Leuenberger.
We may yet keep pick 5 = 1,878 points

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

WindSister wrote::P
age will do that for ya Tef ... lol

'n then, the morons will eventually amuse u as well.

Thank god for Melbournes journey out of the footballing wilderness
with that last round victory of theirs !!!
Their Pick 6 is soooooo much better than OUR Pick 5.

... i cant believe that discussion went for 32 pages ,
when a soundbite woulda been perfectly pithy.
PIck 5 = 1,878 points
Pick 6 = 1,751 points
Pick 62 = 123 points

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

I have no issue with losing Pick 5 for Carlisle straight up.

23, mountain of a man we have recruited well and with McCartin Goddard Carlisle, twighlight Roo and Membrey for development/depth we are stacked in the hardest positions to find takent in the league.

I would love another top mid, but from what I know the draft isn't that strong and Carlisle will be great.

Armo, Steven, Billings etc this team has a lot of room to grow. How exciting.

I wouldn't ideally draft pick 5 direct for Carlisle, but we wouldn't be losing the deal if we did

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:I have no issue with losing Pick 5 for Carlisle straight up.

23, mountain of a man we have recruited well and with McCartin Goddard Carlisle, twighlight Roo and Membrey for development/depth we are stacked in the hardest positions to find takent in the league.

I would love another top mid, but from what I know the draft isn't that strong and Carlisle will be great.

I wouldn't ideally draft pick 5 direct for Carlisle, but we wouldn't be losing the deal if we did
And if he is banned for two years??

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
asiu
Saintsational Legend

PIck 5 = 1,878 points
Pick 6 = 1,751 points
Pick 62 = 123 points

Yep ... i understand that bit.
... we could play that game all day.

Without me looking at the points per pick table ,
... what would u choose saying that
Pick 1 ='s Pick24&25 in points value.

Not sure anyones gunna take 24/25 over 1.
... especially in this so called shallow draft.

5 is way way better than 6 ... imo ooc.

Thanx again Melbourne :)
... you'd nearly think they should be the new destination club.
Last edited by asiu on Wed 14 Oct 2015 10:25am, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Selhurst Saint wrote:

And if we draft with pick 5 and he does his ACL? big if and very unlikely too i might add

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:

And if we draft with pick 5 and he does his ACL? big if and very unlikely too i might add
Yes, IF is a very big word considering it's only got two letters in it.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:Ok. We are going to lose pick 5. Well, let me be more specific. We are going to deal away pick 5.

Now having said it, let me explain the logic.

I am not saying we are giving up pick 5 for Carlisle. That is not a good deal for the club. The club has said it isn't going to happen and I believe them.

But....it would make perfect sense to give up pick 5 for say picks 9 and 13. That's the rumour doing the rounds. The Crows have both those picks.

The Crows really want to recruit Aaron Francis who would most likely be available to them IF they had pick 5.

So we give Adelaide pick 5. They give us picks 9 and 13. We give 13 to the Bombers and get Carlisle and we still have a top 10 pick in the draft.

It would be a great win for the Saints if we can pull this off. I am sure they are trying to get Essendon to see it this way. Let's hope they succeed.

We can then use a second round pick for Freeman and we will have done a really good trading job.

Thoughts?

To get pick 9 and Carlisle would be a great result. Not sure how we get Freeman too though.

Buckanara was on radio this morning saying that this year's drfat is the weakest he has seen in his 11 years as a recruiting guy. So pick 13 in a weak draft for Carlisle could be about right.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:

You are comparing a real possibility versus a random incident. WADA don't take on cases without real merit.
There will be penalties, just depends whether they go hard on the players or the club itself.
Personally I don't think we should risk pick 5 especially since we are lacking fast skilful midfielders.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Selhurst Saint"][quote="fonz_#15"][quote="Selhurst Saint"][quote="fonz_#15"]I have no issue with losing Pick 5 for Carlisle straight up.

I wouldn't ideally draft pick 5 direct for Carlisle, but we wouldn't be losing the deal if we did[/quote]

And if he is banned for two years??[/quote]

And if we draft with pick 5 and he does his ACL? big if and very unlikely too i might add[/quote]

You are comparing a real possibility versus a random incident. WADA don't take on cases without real merit.
There will be penalties, just depends whether they go hard on the players or the club itself.
Personally I don't think we should risk pick 5 especially since we are lacking fast skilful midfielders.[/quote]

Also Carlisle could do his ACL

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Buckanara was on radio this morning saying that this year's drfat is the weakest he has seen in his 11 years as a recruiting guy. So pick 13 in a weak draft for Carlisle could be about right.
Buckanara is the most ill-informed person in football media. Thinks we need to recruit rucks and tall forwards and that Acres and Webster might be delisted in the coming weeks.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Goose is king wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:

Personally I don't think we should risk pick 5 especially since we are lacking fast skilful midfielders.
insightful. Glad to have your input

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Selhurst Saint wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:

I'll agree about lacking fast skillful mids but it is early. I don't think there is any chance WADA bans individual players for two years for this fiasco, the whole investigation is dead-set the biggest screw up in Australian sport.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

if talking hypotheticals and percentage possibilities
remote chance of two years
1 in 60 chance of ACL

Seeya
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="fonz_#15"][quote="Goose is king"][quote="Selhurst Saint"][quote="fonz_#15"][quote="Selhurst Saint"][quote="fonz_#15"]I have no issue with losing Pick 5 for Carlisle straight up.

I wouldn't ideally draft pick 5 direct for Carlisle, but we wouldn't be losing the deal if we did[/quote]

And if he is banned for two years??[/quote]

And if we draft with pick 5 and he does his ACL? big if and very unlikely too i might add[/quote]

Personally I don't think we should risk pick 5 especially since we are lacking fast skilful midfielders.[/quote]

Also Carlisle could do his ACL[/quote]

insightful. Glad to have your input[/quote]

Well you failed to mention that Carlisle could do his ACL when you made your ridiculous comment above

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Paper saying pick 5 for 9 and 42 ???
Errrr
What?!?!

Pointless.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Goose is king wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
Goose is king wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:

insightful. Glad to have your input

Well you failed to mention that Carlisle could do his ACL when you made your ridiculous comment above

and you failed to quote the post correctly making for horrible reading.. old mate saying Carlisle will get a two year ban is likely 100% wrong so blame him

Rosco
Club Player

matrix wrote:Paper saying pick 5 for 9 and 42 ???
Errrr
What?!?!

Pointless.

We already have 42...does it mean 32? Crows have 9, 13, 28, 32.

robsaint
Club Player

Most people agree Carlisle is not worth pick 5 of which I am one. The Adelaide scenarion sounds like an ok ok so we still keep a first round pick. The only propblem is in this draft 13 maybe suspect. If we get Parish with pick 5 I would he happier with that. We need midfielders, when you compare our midfield to others in the top 8 we are way behind. We need good ball users in the midfield. Hawthorn know that 15 and 18 there will be a risk in this years draft. I would prefer we don't give up 5 for Carlisle and build the midfield. If we get Carlisle we need to be sure his knee will hold up and the 2 good games he had his year will be the norm.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

robsaint wrote:Most people agree Carlisle is not worth pick 5 of which I am one. The Adelaide scenarion sounds like an ok ok so we still keep a first round pick. The only propblem is in this draft 13 maybe suspect. If we get Parish with pick 5 I would he happier with that. We need midfielders, when you compare our midfield to others in the top 8 we are way behind. We need good ball users in the midfield. Hawthorn know that 15 and 18 there will be a risk in this years draft. I would prefer we don't give up 5 for Carlisle and build the midfield. If we get Carlisle we need to be sure his knee will hold up and the 2 good games he had his year will be the norm.
There have been some very good pick 13s over the years:

Nick Dal Santo
Patrick Cripps
Jack Riewoldt
Shannon Hurn
Shane Crawford
Daniel Talia
Robert Murphy
Brad Ebert

If our recruiters are any good they will make something out of pick 13.