2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

bigred wrote:I see that as just bending to the will of Essendon and it compromises our long term future.

Carlisle is only worth a second rounder and we all know it.

We should hang on to pick 5 at all costs.

In my opinion this is a huge moment for the club. They need to stand up to this rubbish.

Let em go to the PSD and we take our chances with both Freeman and Carlisle.
Bang on. I think Freeman could have huge upside. Not sure about Carlisle.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
joeyjohnw
Club Player

Mitch Cleary on trade radio saying Ahmed saad could be traded for Freeman. Would be one of our better trades if it was a straight swap.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

joeyjohnw wrote:Mitch Cleary on trade radio saying Ahmed saad could be traded for Freeman. Would be one of our better trades if it was a straight swap.

Saad is worth zero to nothing I doubt this is true.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

joeyjohnw wrote:Mitch Cleary on trade radio saying Ahmed saad could be traded for Freeman. Would be one of our better trades if it was a straight swap.
Oh yeah! Please make that happen

joeyjohnw
Club Player

CURLY wrote:

Saad is worth zero to nothing I doubt this is true.
I agree, but Collingwood have always been keen on saad. They were keen on taking him last year in the rookie draft anyway. I reckon they would take 42 and saad as steak knives for Freeman. That would be a decent trade and means we can use our second rounder on the Adelaide picks 9&13 for 5&24.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

10.07AM: SAAD OUT OF SAINTS?
Could Ahmed Saad be about to depart Seaford? It's been an interesting journey for the small forward and Trade Radio's Mitch Cleary reports Collingwood is interested in the 26-year-old.
The Pies and Saints are set to deal for injury-prone youngster Nathan Freeman, could Saad be part of that negotiation?

Make this happen!!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah damn straight.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Being reported that the 'Pies are interested in Acres as well.

I really like the look of Acres, and he's got a long term contract. But if the right deal came.....I dunno??

It would need to be something like Freeman & a 2nd round pick for Acres. But the 'Pies would never cough that up.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:10.07AM: SAAD OUT OF SAINTS?
Could Ahmed Saad be about to depart Seaford? It's been an interesting journey for the small forward and Trade Radio's Mitch Cleary reports Collingwood is interested in the 26-year-old.
The Pies and Saints are set to deal for injury-prone youngster Nathan Freeman, could Saad be part of that negotiation?

Make this happen!!
The very first thing that would happen if this pans out would be Eddie McGuire demanding the AFL change the 30sec shot for goal rule. He will claim that it is discriminatory and only brought in for Matthew Lloyd. He will use the justification that the crowd want to see player kick goals not points because they're having to rush the set shot.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Freeman is a misnomer, if we have to trade someone for him.
How do you turn an injury-prone player into a durable one? Why didn't we do it with X. Clarke, etc..?
If Collingwood can't get his body right - with all their facilities - how are we going to do it? And of course they'd be interested in Acres ahead of someone who can't stand up to the rigours of AFL football.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 13 Oct 2015 12:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintjake
Club Player

St Chris wrote:Being reported that the 'Pies are interested in Acres as well.

I really like the look of Acres, and he's got a long term contract. But if the right deal came.....I dunno??

It would need to be something like Freeman & a 2nd round pick for Acres. But the 'Pies would never cough that up.
No.

Freeman hasn't played a game in two years because of injury. Pies are lucky if they get a second rounder and not a third.
The whole appeal of Freeman is that we can get him cheap in the HOPE of him getting his body right.

Acres will be a good player. No point giving him up for an injury riddled player and a draft pick that will be lower then what we drafted Acres up with.

Armo, Steven, Billings, Dunstan, Weller, Acres, Freeman is exciting.

We need to keep building on our midfield depth, not depleting it.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:

No.

Freeman hasn't played a game in two years because of injury. Pies are lucky if they get a second rounder and not a third.
The whole appeal of Freeman is that we can get him cheap in the HOPE of him getting his body right.

Acres will be a good player. No point giving him up for an injury riddled player and a draft pick that will be lower then what we drafted Acres up with.

Pies can be interested in whoever they like. They ain't getting Blake - a 190cm athletic ball reading, creative player. We've done our homework and patiently gone to the draft to get the kids who will be the backbone of our next premiership. We're not giving them away on a whim.

saintjake
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
saintjake wrote:

No.

Pies can be interested in whoever they like. They ain't getting Blake - a 190cm athletic ball reading, creative player. We've done our homework and patiently gone to the draft to get the kids who will be the backbone of our next premiership. We're not giving them away on a whim.
100%

The core we have built WILL win us a flag. Quote me. It will happen. We have to keep them together and add to them. Carlisle for a second rounder is a no brainer. He and Goddard together is delicious. Adding some class in the midfield with 5 is just what we need.

We're going bargain hunting or we're going to the draft. We can't afford to tear away at the core we're slowly building.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
saintjake wrote:

No.

I would be very annoyed if we traded a player like Acres for Freeman.
Acres is an important part of our future teams and Freeman is an injury riddled player who has not proved himself.
A second round selection is the most we should part with or let him go through to PSD.

One year will be our year
saintjake
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
saintjake wrote:

No.

I would be very annoyed if we traded a player like Acres for Freeman.
Acres is an important part of our future teams and Freeman is an injury riddled player who has not proved himself.
A second round selection is the most we should part with or let him go through to PSD.
No arguments from me here.
Personally, I don't see why we don't keep 24 and offer the Pies a third rounder + Ray or another player of his ilk who wont be part of the next tilt. Why offer our second rounder for a player who hasn't played a single game yet, and WANTS to come to us. How silly will we look if we give them 24 and Freeman is retired by 2017 with only a handful of games to his name.

the dome
Club Player

Freeman remains a gamble reg: Injuries

"The whole appeal of Freeman is that we can get him cheap in the 'HOPE'
of him getting his body right".
Exactly saintjake, If Freeman gets over his injuries then whoo hoo! Of coarse Coll wants Acers. St.K drop the ball if Freeman doesn't come on safer grounds. Sounds like Aish will not land @ pieland (SEN). Coll apparently likely to land Trealor (despite Tigers interest). Wouldn't they love a first rounder for an injured player who hasn't played a game.
I'm hoping more promising avenues open up to the north, its' difficult dealing with greedy street.
Acers strikes me as a slow burner but with a bit of time we could all be very pleased. :lol:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Trading Acres for Freeman is a completely pointless trade given where we are at. I would rather keep Acres because he can at least get on the park.

I rate Carslile between a pick 18 to 22. We should somehow try and upgrade our pick 24 and offer them that.

He comes to us with a risk and while I don't believe in completely screwing over the other party when negotiating a deal, the deal should be fair but it should favour us.

We lose zero if we are prepared to walk away.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintjake
Club Player

Re: Freeman remains a gamble reg: Injuries

the dome wrote:"The whole appeal of Freeman is that we can get him cheap in the 'HOPE'
of him getting his body right".
Exactly saintjake, If Freeman gets over his injuries then whoo hoo! Of coarse Coll wants Acers. St.K drop the ball if Freeman doesn't come on safer grounds. Sounds like Aish will not land @ pieland (SEN). Coll apparently likely to land Trealor (despite Tigers interest). Wouldn't they love a first rounder for an injured player who hasn't played a game.
I'm hoping more promising avenues open up to the north, its' difficult dealing with greedy street.
Acers strikes me as a slow burner but with a bit of time we could all be very pleased. :lol:
Was it Jesse Smith from North that we got? Talented but completely rubbish ankles.

I have faith in the brainstrust. They've delivered the past two years IMO.
But with all the rumors flying around it's hard not to get a little worried.
Both Freeman & Carlisle are out of contract and want to come to us. I just don't understand why we are discussing our first and second picks for them.

- Carlisle walks, Freeman for a third rounder, midfielder at 5 and the best available at 24 - Why isn't this being talked about?!?!?!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
Carlisle is only worth a second rounder and we all know it.

I don't. Why do you think he is only worth a second rounder?

Personally I reckon he is worth more, but certainly is not worth a straight swap for Pick 5 or Billings.

I expect the Saints to make a fair offer such as:
- a direct swap for pick in the teens of we can trade it in
- our second rounder plus a sweetener from us

If the Dons do no accept the "fair deal" then it will be no deal and off to the PSD. A high first year salary should prevent other clubs from taking him.

The offer for Freeman is a lot harder to work out what is a "fair deal" due to his injury record. However we cannot let him slide to the PSD as other clubs could meet his contract.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintjake
Club Player

It's poor list management by both Essendon and Collingwood that have put them in this position of no bargaining power.
As a club, you have the opportunity to extend players contracts. If you let their contract run down, or they refuse to resign - that's you're mistake or issue as a club.
We've gone ahead and signed our young guns up. We're doing the right thing, we're building the right culture.

This isn't about ripping off the other clubs, but we are doing them a favour by offering them picks. If they don't take them or they refuse to deal, then so be it. Take them for free in the draft. We're under no obligation to give up anything for these players.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:It's poor list management by both Essendon and Collingwood that have put them in this position of no bargaining power.
As a club, you have the opportunity to extend players contracts. If you let their contract run down, or they refuse to resign - that's you're mistake or issue as a club.
We've gone ahead and signed our young guns up. We're doing the right thing, we're building the right culture.

This isn't about ripping off the other clubs, but we are doing them a favour by offering them picks. If they don't take them or they refuse to deal, then so be it. Take them for free in the draft. We're under no obligation to give up anything for these players.

yipper
SS Life Member

GWS have just offically thrown open the Treloar negotiations - means open slather. Saints definately have been talking to his manager. This could be interesting people.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:GWS have just offically thrown open the Treloar negotiations - means open slather. Saints definately have been talking to his manager. This could be interesting people.
Now he is worth pick 5. Lets get him instead of Carlisle.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Hey Jaxons, any update for us poor suffering supporters? All the media experts siding with the Bombers saying that we should hand over pick 5 for Carlisle is doing my head in?
Anything you can share to at least put our minds at ease?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Would give this years first pick and next years second for Treloar

Carlton will offer pick 1 you would think

Nee!