Trade period is too long

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thefatdork
Club Player

Trade period is too long

Not sure what others think but I find Trade Period goes on too long.
Lots of conjecture, often mixed with a lot of false BS from journos trying too eek out some interest when in reality nothing much is happening.
I know that there are obviously discussions and dealings that need to take place but surely it could be all done and dusted in one 5 day Mon to Fri block.
The AFL website trade-hub is full of false rumours and struggles to make it all seem interesting whilst at the same time reporting that "nothing much is happening."
Sorry for the whinge but each year I think it needs to be shortened - at least it's not 2 weeks this year.
Having got that off my chest - hopefully we'll see some really positive trades by the Saints!
TFD

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade period is too long

Used to be shorter and we always heard about paperwork not quite getting through, deals not getting done. Two weeks was too much time. I think they've got the balance right now.

derby Street
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:Used to be shorter and we always heard about paperwork not quite getting through, deals not getting done. Two weeks was too much time. I think they've got the balance right now.
I reckon if it was 6 weeks you would still find paperwork not quite getting through and deals not getting done. :D

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Dangerfield deal done already. We should be able to do the whole thing in a day.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

About an hour an half tops.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It goes for 12 days in total finishing on 22 Oct.

It traditionally used to be 5 days only which was too short.

Two years ago it went for about 3 weeks which was too long.

Just under 2 weeks gives enough time for the complex trades and to digest the impact of earlier trades.

I love this time of year!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think the old five day timeframe is the optimal time. It's the "goldilocks" theory. Not too short, not too long. So much of the posturing and manoeuvring goes on before the official period starts. In view of that, surely today through to COB Friday should be ample.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
ripplug66
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:I think the old five day timeframe is the optimal time. It's the "goldilocks" theory. Not too short, not too long. So much of the posturing and manoeuvring goes on before the official period starts. In view of that, surely today through to COB Friday should be ample.

I totally agree but the AFL are very smart and any publicity like this at this time of the year is all a good thing. Lets face it in 2 weeks there will still be deals that don't get done because they will run out of time.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I think the old five day timeframe is the optimal time. It's the "goldilocks" theory. Not too short, not too long. So much of the posturing and manoeuvring goes on before the official period starts. In view of that, surely today through to COB Friday should be ample.

I totally agree but the AFL are very smart and any publicity like this at this time of the year is all a good thing. Lets face it in 2 weeks there will still be deals that don't get done because they will run out of time.
Too true, unfortunately. Brinkmanship and ambit claims are all too common amongst those doing the trading. They carry on as if it's still the 1970's. Get up to speed with modern negotiating methods. Still, as you point out, rip66, the AFL must love all the speculation and the extra interest and media coverage it generates.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The real padding out is releasing the fixture end of October not the start. Coincides with the start of the Cup carnival.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

If the almighty created the world in six days, and rested on the seventh, two clubs should be able to trade a player well within that time.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.