Jake Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jake Carlisle

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Gilbo is 29 and so If his body is now right could well play another 4 or so seasons.
God I hope not. A proven fact that he is one of the worst kicks in the AFL.

But a bigger issue - if we have Carlisle, Goddard, Webster, Roberton as locks down back - it means only two of FIsher, Gilbert, Savage, Dempster, Geary, Delaney will get a game. How is this going to work?

Thet do not have to all be down back. Gilbo can play elsewhere and is very versatile.

Savage also can play elsehwhere.

Not likely to only have 4 mids on the interchange bench either.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
#gosaintas
Club Player

It's no issue dropping Fisher, Geary, Gilbert or Delaney. Dempster and Savage deserve a spot and if Lee isn't traded, he is another that is in the mix. Geary and Gilbert can't kick or handball so they are hopefully way down the list. Preferably, off the list.

ripplug66
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:It's no issue dropping Fisher, Geary, Gilbert or Delaney. Dempster and Savage deserve a spot and if Lee isn't traded, he is another that is in the mix. Geary and Gilbert can't kick or handball so they are hopefully way down the list. Preferably, off the list.

So Lee, a seconds player, is in the mix but you want Gilbert and Geary, both always picked in the ones when fit, off the list. Well that pretty much makes no sense at all.

#gosaintas
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:It's no issue dropping Fisher, Geary, Gilbert or Delaney. Dempster and Savage deserve a spot and if Lee isn't traded, he is another that is in the mix. Geary and Gilbert can't kick or handball so they are hopefully way down the list. Preferably, off the list.

So Lee, a seconds player, is in the mix but you want Gilbert and Geary, both always picked in the ones when fit, off the list. Well that pretty much makes no sense at all.

No room in the backline for players who can't kick under pressure. If Gilbert plays he plays wing or onball, Geary nowhere but Sandringham.

ripplug66
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

No room in the backline for players who can't kick under pressure. If Gilbert plays he plays wing or onball, Geary nowhere but Sandringham.

Well again you will be disappointed every week baring injury. Howard was a nice kick in the backline. LJ kicked it well as a HBF. You must not rate our coaching panel very highly?

#gosaintas
Club Player

I noticed they moved Gilbert out of the backline late last year. Geary will be next. You'll see.

jaxons
Club Player

Carlisle will nominate Saints as his club of choice tomorrow.

ripplug66
Club Player

jaxons wrote:Carlisle will nominate Saints as his club of choice tomorrow.

Sounds like it for sure. Thought from the moment we showed all the interest we would get him and the same with Freeman. The question is what do we pay for them. I would still think we will pay a first rounder and get a second rounder in return. Will it be this year or next years pick? Freeman looks a second rounder for sure.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Somehow I hope we keep pick 5. We should be better next year so deal in next year's picks.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Well again you will be disappointed every week baring injury. Howard was a nice kick in the backline. LJ kicked it well as a HBF. You must not rate our coaching panel very highly?
He's back... Dont forget to update your ignore list folks.

<warning for baiting>

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
supersaints
Club Player

If we do trade , some punters are suggesting that we swap pick 5 for a player and a higher end first round draft pick say 14 - 16 with another side in a three way deal. This should satisfy the Bummers and give us a chance at using that pick fir either Freeman or another mid. Makes sense to me. IMO pick 5 is too much to give.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
jaxons
Club Player

supersaints wrote:If we do trade , some punters are suggesting that we swap pick 5 for a player and a higher end first round draft pick say 14 - 16 with another side in a three way deal. This should satisfy the Bummers and give us a chance at using that pick fir either Freeman or another mid. Makes sense to me. IMO pick 5 is too much to give.

Won't be trading pick 5 for Carlisle.
Possible we swap our pick 5 for two later first rounders and use one of them for Carlisle.
Also possible we do our second round pick plus a player, or this years second rounder and next years.

the dome
Club Player

Pick 5 for a MID Thanx

lefty wrote:
RavsterII wrote:7 News has reported that carlton has cooled on carlisle as they look to the draft more then trade ( not to mention bolton isn't keen on the money over long period that carlisle is looking for)
Carlton offering: 500k for 3 years
St kilda offering:700k for 5 years
we are now in the box seat so I ask what do we trade for him ?
they have said Essendon are open to future draft picks but if we give them our first pick from next year its a risk, considering we are rebuilding.( some rebuilding clubs can go backward even if our list is heading in the right direction) due to putting game time into younger players plus veterans getting older and retiring .) this draft has been hailed as the 'draft with no depth"and parish will be likely gone by then with gold coast eyeing him at 3.
WTF... $700K over 5 years is ridiculous.
How many brownlow votes did this dude get this year?

Gawd i'll be pissed off if we gave up pick 5.

5 years is way to long for a dude with a dodgy back, poor attitude, and asada over his head.
If he ends up on this deal, and doesn't perform, it will be a disaster and put this club behind.

WE NEED ANOTHER A+ MIDFIELDER...."

SECONDED ! :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 5 for a MID Thanx

the dome wrote:
lefty wrote:
RavsterII wrote:7 News has reported that carlton has cooled on carlisle as they look to the draft more then trade ( not to mention bolton isn't keen on the money over long period that carlisle is looking for)
Carlton offering: 500k for 3 years
St kilda offering:700k for 5 years
we are now in the box seat so I ask what do we trade for him ?
they have said Essendon are open to future draft picks but if we give them our first pick from next year its a risk, considering we are rebuilding.( some rebuilding clubs can go backward even if our list is heading in the right direction) due to putting game time into younger players plus veterans getting older and retiring .) this draft has been hailed as the 'draft with no depth"and parish will be likely gone by then with gold coast eyeing him at 3.
WTF... $700K over 5 years is ridiculous.
How many brownlow votes did this dude get this year?

Gawd i'll be pissed off if we gave up pick 5.

5 years is way to long for a dude with a dodgy back, poor attitude, and asada over his head.
If he ends up on this deal, and doesn't perform, it will be a disaster and put this club behind.

WE NEED ANOTHER A+ MIDFIELDER...."

SECONDED ! :D
And THIRDED even.

ripplug66
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

So Armoo you are having a go at me because I'm sticking up for our players whilst the other guy isn't? I don't get that at all. You really think wanting Geary to play only at sandy is the way to support the club? That is a totally unfair post.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:You can all relax he has been done and dusted to Carlton for some time now.
Definitely won't be at the Saints.
:shock:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

I know, and having a go at Geary again

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Bluthy wrote:If we get carlisle then do we need gilbo? We'd have Carlisle Goddard fisher dempster roberton Webster Ray Delaney and maybe even lee as tallish backs - you might even throw acres and Mckenzie in there. I wonder if Gilbert's name is being floated as trade bait to facilate freeman and Carlisle trades and still have a decent pick for the draft
Well unless someone offers us something very attractive I would keep him.

When fit (which has been an if in recent seasons) Gilbert offers a lot that other players do not, and while his kicking can be hot and cold, he is at his best an elite footballer anda very good reader of the play.

Gilbo is not just a tallish back ( a role he plays very well).

He is quite quick and can run and break the lines which even with Freeman coming on board we still lack. Plus he is agreesive in the packs. Breaking the lines is not just pace either, it is having the knack of knowing when to do it (Peckett late in his career was very good at this despite not being quick) and Gilbo knows when to go, and where to go. Many players never "get" this aspect of football.

Gilbo can also :
* Play as a big mid - handy while we build our midfield
* Play wingish or be swung forward (almost won us a GF)

Gilbo is 29 and so IF his body is now right could well play another 4 or so seasons. So unless we are offered something good for him I would keep him.

I see the Saints as POSSIBLY having an "early" crack at a flag IF ALL GOES WELL with our younger players stepping up and this AND this and next years trades/FA going well where we make the most of our "goldern oldies" in say Roo, Joey and Gilbo (Probably not Fisher or Dempster). I think Joey could play on for many years at a high level, and that Roo as a "third forward" could be very damaging if his knee holds out.

If all does not progress quickly then it will take longer and be post our "golden oldies".
You've got to give something to get something. How else do we get the 2 deals done? Trade future pics - extremely risky - if you screw up your current years drafts you're risking a two year gap in your list. I don't like the idea of trading down our pick 5. We might not get a pick that high for quite a while and we need more elite talent - an elite skilled mid fits beautifully along side Billings and McCartin.

I don't see Gilbert in our Premiership team. And he did ok on ball in first game but stunk thereafter. Down back as an athletic rebounding cover defender is his role - we missed him there in the 100 pt thrashings. The question is who wants a 29 y.o. with a history of foot problems who is a penetrating but not particularly accurate kick? We'd probably have to do a dodgy Dal Santo type thing where we find a clause cancelling his contract so someone can get him without giving up anything and we get a semi-decent compo draft pick. But I'm not sure the AFL would be happy with that again.

We just need to make cold hard decisions about this and not get caught up in having to have these players just because they nominate us.

derby Street
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Sainter K - I never read it that way at all. Don't jump at shadows when it comes to 14#

SMS
Club Player

Whats this BS talk of trading Gilbert?

The guy is 194cm goes harder than anyone! Did you watch his season the second half?? He was awesome! Nothing to suggest he wont be there in 2019 when we win a flag. He is a gun. Much maligned for some
Skill errors BUT his smashing of packs and fitness is elite and he has rested the body he'll be great til 33 easily.
So everyone calm down gilbo is a saint!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Sainter K - I never read it that way at all. Don't jump at shadows when it comes to 14#
My point may of been lost on you :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Whats this BS talk of trading Gilbert?

The guy is 194cm goes harder than anyone! Did you watch his season the second half?? He was awesome! Nothing to suggest he wont be there in 2019 when we win a flag. He is a gun. Much maligned for some
Skill errors BUT his smashing of packs and fitness is elite and he has rested the body he'll be great til 33 easily.

He was statistically ranked one of the worst kicks in the entire AFL.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-28/t ... -for-kicks

Was brilliant in 2010. Has been ordinary since. But I doubt he is tradeable anyway.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: You've got to give something to get something. .
I agree, but you need to do deals that advantage us too. Not ridiculously so, as otherwise they will not get done.

Freeman and Carlisle should both be deals that we gain more than we lose. (ie both OOC and both have issues)
= And many ways to get this done. Use of next years second pick perhaps. Maybe Hickey as he may be one of the few players that we can trade to advantage (and I would like to keep him) that we can afford to lose.

Gilbo I just do not see as attracting more than he is worth to us.

Pick 5 is tempting, but Freo for example will be desperate to get Bennell and McCarthy and may need pick 5 as part of the deal and may therefore pay overs to us for it.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SMS wrote:Whats this BS talk of trading Gilbert?

He was statistically ranked one of the worst kicks in the entire AFL.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-28/t ... -for-kicks

Was brilliant in 2010. Has been ordinary since. But I doubt he is tradeable anyway.
Don't need to even read the stats, just rely on your memory. The sooner he and Geary are out of the team, the better our team will be.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Was brilliant in 2010. Has been ordinary since.

But I doubt he is tradeable anyway.
Which is my point, or at least for a reasonable amount.