Jake Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jake Carlisle

8856brother wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
8856brother wrote:Dogs pick 11 will get it done. Already over the line if you listen to a few who profess to be in the know. Has always wanted the Dogs but our large offer has stirred things up a bit. Talia going will make the Dogs up their offer. I personally only want him if he wants us. An interesting few weeks ahead. Will we be linked with plenty and land nothing of substance or is it our time to shine?
With the exception of Mark Stevens (Dogs fan) the media seem to unanimously be saying Saints are front runners. What makes you think he's off to the Dogs?
Not the media thats for sure. They are all just guessing, without much substance. Just like we do, but with a few more contacts. It's their job. I take a bit more notice of a couple of people I know who are generally on the money.
I personally don't think any deals have been done yet and thats why there are so many "insiders" who will tell you he's a monty to go to 3 different clubs. There is good mail for all 3 clubs atm.
Think we all will just have to wait and see. It's like being a kid 2 weeks from Xmas. You just want to go to bed and wake up 2 weeks later.
I tip the Dogs. Would be huge for us, and our future, if he picks the RW&B though.
The Dogs are paying 105% salary cap, which includes close to 2mill for Tom Boyd in 2016. I just can't see them having anywhere near the amount of coin to get a Carlisle type that will demand at the very least 600k per year.

Teflon - the fact the club is releasing media articles about being keen on Carlisle suggests to me we are confident of getting our man. I take little notice of the corporate talk that a lot still needs to progress. That's stating the obvious. Jake hasn't publicly nominated a club & then we need to deal with that dill from Essendon to complete the trade.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
8856brother wrote:Dogs pick 11 will get it done. Already over the line if you listen to a few who profess to be in the know. Has always wanted the Dogs but our large offer has stirred things up a bit. Talia going will make the Dogs up their offer. I personally only want him if he wants us. An interesting few weeks ahead. Will we be linked with plenty and land nothing of substance or is it our time to shine?
With the exception of Mark Stevens (Dogs fan) the media seem to unanimously be saying Saints are front runners. What makes you think he's off to the Dogs?
Not the media thats for sure. They are all just guessing, without much substance. Just like we do, but with a few more contacts. It's their job. I take a bit more notice of a couple of people I know who are generally on the money.
I personally don't think any deals have been done yet and thats why there are so many "insiders" who will tell you he's a monty to go to 3 different clubs. There is good mail for all 3 clubs atm.
Think we all will just have to wait and see. It's like being a kid 2 weeks from Xmas. You just want to go to bed and wake up 2 weeks later.
I tip the Dogs. Would be huge for us, and our future, if he picks the RW&B though.
The Dogs are paying 105% salary cap, which includes close to 2mill for Tom Boyd in 2016. I just can't see them having anywhere near the amount of coin to get a Carlisle type that will demand at the very least 600k per year.

Teflon - the fact the club is releasing media articles about being keen on Carlisle suggests to me we are confident of getting our man. I take little notice of the corporate talk that a lot still needs to progress. That's stating the obvious. Jake hasn't publicly nominated a club & then we need to deal with that dill from Essendon to complete the trade.
Dogs just signed The Bont for another 4 years. They must be tight now you would think. No one of note retiring to free up more space either.

Saintsational Legend

They also have Crameri on about 700k. I wonder how they will fit Stringer in?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
the dome
Club Player

Jake Carlisle

[quote="Goose is king"]I'm usually all for getting the deals done. You have to give something to get something and all that.
But if we can't get Carlisle for our second pick and freeman for our third pick (and I don't think we will) then stuff Essendon because pick 5 is way over his value and get him in the psd and if Carlton take him with the price we put on him then so be it.
We can always get next years best free agent key defender.

There is merit in this approach but the coach may not like it with another year spent coping without a 'Carlisle' type down back.
It would be interesting who the club expect to be available @ #5

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

the dome wrote:
Goose is king wrote:
It would be interesting who the club expect to be available @ #5
Toss up between Clint Jones and Mitch Brown.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Not for mine. WADA issues are not going to go away in the short term (and maybe not in the mid term either). Better off to look at a young player in the draft who will be able to fill that position for mine.
Essendon will be looking to trade out a lot of their players who were on the list pre-2012, because of potential repercussions from the WADA findings. Look at how worried Port and the Bulldogs have been this year; I don't want us to take on potential extra baggage when our rebuild has so far been progressing satisfactorily.
The reason a lot of Bomber players will be looking for an out from that club is because of the protracted investigations, but WADA won't go away just because they change teams.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ripplug66
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Not for mine. WADA issues are not going to go away in the short term (and maybe not in the mid term either). Better off to look at a young player in the draft who will be able to fill that position for mine.
Essendon will be looking to trade out a lot of their players who were on the list pre-2012, because of potential repercussions from the WADA findings. Look at how worried Port and the Bulldogs have been this year; I don't want us to take on potential extra baggage when our rebuild has so far been progressing satisfactorily.
The reason a lot of Bomber players will be looking for an out from that club is because of the protracted investigations, but WADA won't go away just because they change teams.

I don't get your point about how worried Port and the WB were this year. I never read it or even saw it. Most clubs don't seem to have an issue recruiting Essendon players. If we don't get Carlisle I don't think it will because of WADA.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I must admit to having a few flutters regarding the WADA issue, but otherwise, think that Carlisle would be handy

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think anything from the Wada farce will be back dated.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I must admit to having a few flutters regarding the WADA issue, but otherwise, think that Carlisle would be handy
It's a big gamble though, isn't it?
No thanks.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I think anything from the Wada farce will be back dated.
Well, that would be a farce. I don't think WADA will be as AFL compliant as ASADA IF anything is found - IF. None of us really know, and the players are innocent until proven guilty, but nobody knows for sure.
I don't want my club to gamble away a high draft pick/quality player(s) because it has the potential to backfire on us.

lefty
Club Player

Top 10 - 2012

Jobe Watson - 551
Dyson Heppell - 310
Dustin Fletcher - 256
Brent Stanton - 240
Ben Howlett - 232
David Zaharakis - 214
Courtenay Dempsey - 208
Stewart Crameri - 198
Patrick Ryder - 195
Michael Hurley - 177

Top 10 - 2013

Brendon Goddard - 431
Jobe Watson - 382
Dyson Heppell - 336
Michael Hibberd - 321
Jake Melksham - 294
Jake Carlisle - 241
Brent Stanton - 229
Heath Hocking - 211
Cale Hooker - 207
David Zaharakis - 191

--------------

Top 10 - 2014

Dyson Heppell - 520
Cale Hooker - 354
Brendon Goddard - 279
Michael Hibberd - 277
David Zaharakis - 250
Michael Hurley - 242
Patrick Ryder - 241
Mark Baguley - 240
Paul Chapman - 231

--------------

Top 10 - 2015

Cale Hooker (456 votes)
Michael Hurley (402)
Dyson Heppell (360)
Zach Merrett (330)
Brendon Goddard (322)
Mark Baguley (318)
Brent Stanton (314)
Michael Hibberd (242)
Jake Melksham (136)
Shaun McKernan (120)

--------------

Gawd I hope we don't waste pick #5 on this bloke, he's only finish top 10 once in Essendon's b&f

We are so desperate for a first class midfielder its not funny, honestly hope we stick to the draft.

I'm fine with going for Freeman as it wont cost #5.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Luke Beveridge was on SEN before 9 saying that they were interested but aren't able to meet with him to date. When pressed by Andy Maher he conceded it was a money issue. Seems like our offer is highest to me ATM.

SMS
Club Player

We all better start being more supportive and appreciating this. Jake is coming to the saints. You dont let 200cm backman that can run mark and compete like Jake go. He is perfect fit for saints.
He will be our chb/fb for the next 10 years. He will be a premiership player wih us.

Lets start supporting. Not everyone on the list has to be 100% nicey nice guys. Ffs. He will do HIS job. Lets do ours.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If Carlisle is elite why are Essendon letting him go?
Freeman seems a good fit, as long as his body will stand up to the rigours of AFL training loads and games.

Pick 5 needs to be untradeable - we need pace in the midfield, which we do not have, as well as elite skills by foot, which apart from Billings we don't have.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:If Carlisle is elite why are Essendon letting him go?
Not letting him go.

Can't keep him.

Stuck needles in him.

He's had enough.

Says Essendon are effed.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Not letting him go.

Can't keep him.

Stuck needles in him.

He's had enough.

Says Essendon are effed.
Indeed, Dr.S. The bombers would love to keep big Jake, it's just that big Jake doesn't want them to. If there was any doubt about that, his comments about the club, expressing his true sentiments, has ensured that not only any bridges that would allow him to return have been burned, but totally vaporised. His candour about the situation was refreshing, especially in light of Essendope's duplicitous handling of the whole sorry affair. That was some sort of "exit interview"!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't worry too much about his form in 2014/15. Its obvious his welfare and Essendon's lake of game plan never sat well with his form. WADA wont do s*** and I expect that they are just running Essendon's ragged reputation into the ground. Fines and minimal suspension at most, if anything. Its fairly obvious the players aren't to blame and have suffered enough. Looking forward to adding white to his jumper. The Bulldogs are dreaming. We have the opportunity, the need and the cash. It is a better option than waiting 4 years for a tall and average 19 year old to develop and we wont get Collins with #5. His mere presence on the ground next year will benefit Goddard's development and with Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert and Roberton added all of a sudden we have depth and versatility in our defensive tall stocks. I would be very happy to land Carlisle, Freeman, Rice and secure Sinclair and still take a first or second round pick. Would love to see that happen.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

So do I, at worst they may miss the NAB cup

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
Back dated from what.

They haven't served any penalties yet

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Stephen Theodore wrote:
Its not a popular view point given the other thread - but a slap is virtually the harshest of penalities the players might get
The very light suspension given to cronulla in 2011 was not appealed by WADA even though many many thought it would be.
The NRL moved on, the club moved on, and I doubt if any fans would bother giving any of the players banned a second thought anymore.

Seeya
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we go purely on the points system.

We gave up pick 5 (1878)
for
Carlisle + pick 22 (845)
Values Carlisle at 1033 which is ~ pick 17 (1025).

Probably a fair trade.

I still think it lazy recruiting if you compare it to the key defenders in this week's GF.

Lake (pick 71)
Schofield (51)
McGovern (Nothing/Rookie)
Frawley (Nothing/FA)

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:If we go purely on the points system.

We gave up pick 5 (1878)
for
Carlisle + pick 22 (845)
Values Carlisle at 1033 which is ~ pick 17 (1025).

Probably a fair trade.

I still think it lazy recruiting if you compare it to the key defenders in this week's GF.

Lake (pick 71)
Schofield (51)
McGovern (Nothing/Rookie)
Frawley (Nothing/FA)

Con you are just picking the lowest pick for those players. You say Lake is 71 when he was first drafted but use Frawley when he was a FA. And I'm sure other backs have gone at higher picks than those.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I don't like, nor rate Carlisle much at all.

Rosco
Club Player

Freeman seems a good fit, as long as his body will stand up to the rigours of AFL training loads and games.

Pick 5 needs to be untradeable - we need pace in the midfield, which we do not have, as well as elite skills by foot, which apart from Billings we don't have.
pick 5 should be used for a pacy midfielder if that's what the best available player is at pick 5.

otherwise carlisle might be the better than the best available draftee.

specific needs (pace) might be better got through trade / FA.