Nathan Freeman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nathan Freeman

So what happens if Colonwood refuse and he goes in the draft and another club picks him up at 25?
Its not about getting even its all about getting a potential gun

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:So what happens if Colonwood refuse and he goes in the draft and another club picks him up at 25?
Its not about getting even its all about getting a potential gun
Paul Connors is his manager he gets players to where they want to go. Do you remember the Luke Ball scenario?

stjay
Club Player

Its the PreSeason Draft not the National Draft. Different.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:Its the PreSeason Draft not the National Draft. Different.
Much different. In the draft there is other young talent that would be picked first...as with Ball.

In the PSD you would imagine that teams below us would all be keen. So trick will be trying to have a contract that they do not have room for. Even then that may not be possible.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint-stu
Club Player

Draftee Highlights:
http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/599300/draf ... n-freeman/

Looks pretty good playing with Jack Billings :)

1ac46a38
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Meh.

So he goes to the other club....with a price on his head I think if he nominates it.

While it is great that he WANTS to come and play for us, I am honestly more comfortable throwing 300k at Lonie or Sinclair.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Meh.

So he goes to the other club....with a price on his head I think if he nominates it.

While it is great that he WANTS to come and play for us, I am honestly more comfortable throwing 300k at Lonie or Sinclair.

I think the idea though is to get someone who can get the ball to Lonie and Sinclair more often...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stjay
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
stjay wrote:Its the PreSeason Draft not the National Draft. Different.
Much different. In the draft there is other young talent that would be picked first...as with Ball.

In the PSD you would imagine that teams below us would all be keen. So trick will be trying to have a contract that they do not have room for. Even then that may not be possible.
The consensus seems to be that teams would want to do their own medical tests which he could simply refuse thereby clearing the way for us to pick him up.
That, combined with front loading the contract - like you were alluding to - might be the way to go.

Cant imagine a club picking a player that doesn't want to go there but it is bound to happen at some point.

howlinwolf
Club Player

All things working out with his hamstrings and we could be well on the way to undoing some past faux pas in drafting/trading.
It would be great to pick up a genuine pick 10 for not much to add to our recent years picks.That would be a priceless bonus.
He sounds like the quality mid we could do with. Things are looking very promising for us at the moment !

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Never seen this kid play before so I wouldn't have a clue. BUT he sounds exactly what we need. If he gets his body right he could potentially be an absolute gift for us with the right price. Probably more important than Carlisle. If we can snare both these guys we are suddenly on the right track back up the ladder I reckon. The draft and trades rely on a couple of things happening you weren't necessarily expect to happen. We need to make this happen.

Saint wagga
Club Player

If we can get him in, it sounds like he's worht a shot! We gave Markworth 4 years to try and get it all together, perhaps he was also cruelled by the coaching change as Dragit alluded to and a lack of clear direction under Richo...

Freeman has only had 2 years in the system so potentially has a lot of upside if he can get his hamstrings right, but chronic soft tissue issues at such a ypung age are a major worry and will make trading for him a real unknown, just how much to offer in terms of picks etc...i dont think the money is such a big deal with our list still being very young and not many on top dollar yet, it'd be more the picks we have to give up that will be very tough to gauge, but with great risk can come great reward, so i wont be dirty however it turns out. If we can get him cheaply in term of the trade deal that'd be awesome!

the dome
Club Player

Nathan Freeman's Hamstrings

First St. Kilda's 1st & 2nd picks in the Nat. draft should be kept I believe unless an outstanding deal is being offered & then I would only be comfortable with the involvement in the 2nd pick.
Nathan F. is not an outstanding deal ingredient I believe simply because of his troublesome hamstring history. Nathan no doubt realises that he is on a very long term runway @ the pies who apparently were readying him for a trip to Germany for surgery. Nathan 'IF' injury - free would in all liklihood be a much appreciated and valuable addition to our young developing team but it sounds like a big gamble to me. We cannot get into the collingwood gamble trade unless Nathan comes to us very cheap (ie) St. Kilda keeps the allotted 1st. & 2nd. picks in the Nat.Draft. I think this is very important so as to set-up the next wave of young players coming through in 2 - 4 years. This helps the slightly older guys knowing there are good prospects coming through behind them. The pies no doubt have a bit of the esselon disease and expect to land the best players every year at the expense of the less monied Melb. clubs (like St.K.). I don't like to recall their offer of a Pick '30' for our experienced pick 2 L.Ball who I think captained the team from memory. West Coast were fortunate that Judds' shoulder recons didn't set him back @ the time but they are a wealthier club and could wear it better than St.Kilda over investing in a talented guy with hamstring troubles which may very well bite us bad on the proverbial.
If we can lure Aish over to Moorabbin that sounds potentially v.good, so I'm for Freeman but without squandering our first 2 picks and also for Aish if we can convince him.
On another note we should hold onto Jack Newness I believe. I'm still impressed with his development and hopeful of where it can take him as a Sainter. 8-)

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nathan Freeman's Hamstrings

the dome wrote: Nathan F. is not an outstanding deal ingredient I believe simply because of his troublesome hamstring history. Nathan no doubt realises that he is on a very long term runway @ the pies who apparently were readying him for a trip to Germany for surgery.
What are you talking about? I read that that his hammy's are finally injury free and he's ready to do a full pre-season. Nothing about being booked into surgery.

stjay
Club Player

the dome wrote:First St. Kilda's 1st & 2nd picks in the Nat. draft should be kept I believe unless an outstanding deal is being offered & then I would only be comfortable with the involvement in the 2nd pick.
Nathan F. is not an outstanding deal ingredient I believe simply because of his troublesome hamstring history. Nathan no doubt realises that he is on a very long term runway @ the pies who apparently were readying him for a trip to Germany for surgery. Nathan 'IF' injury - free would in all liklihood be a much appreciated and valuable addition to our young developing team but it sounds like a big gamble to me. We cannot get into the collingwood gamble trade unless Nathan comes to us very cheap (ie) St. Kilda keeps the allotted 1st. & 2nd. picks in the Nat.Draft. I think this is very important so as to set-up the next wave of young players coming through in 2 - 4 years. This helps the slightly older guys knowing there are good prospects coming through behind them. The pies no doubt have a bit of the esselon disease and expect to land the best players every year at the expense of the less monied Melb. clubs (like St.K.). I don't like to recall their offer of a Pick '30' for our experienced pick 2 L.Ball who I think captained the team from memory. West Coast were fortunate that Judds' shoulder recons didn't set him back @ the time but they are a wealthier club and could wear it better than St.Kilda over investing in a talented guy with hamstring troubles which may very well bite us bad on the proverbial.
If we can lure Aish over to Moorabbin that sounds potentially v.good, so I'm for Freeman but without squandering our first 2 picks and also for Aish if we can convince him.
On another note we should hold onto Jack Newness I believe. I'm still impressed with his development and hopeful of where it can take him as a Sainter. 8-)
Not fussed about 2nd pick particularly in a shallow draft and if there is a highly prized player being brought in.
Our #5 pick needs to be used on a young gun in the national draft.

the dome
Club Player

Moods wrote:
the dome wrote: Nathan F. is not an outstanding deal ingredient I believe simply because of his troublesome hamstring history. Nathan no doubt realises that he is on a very long term runway @ the pies who apparently were readying him for a trip to Germany for surgery.
What are you talking about? I read that that his hammy's are finally injury free and he's ready to do a full pre-season. Nothing about being booked into surgery.
I heard the Germany surgery info on SEN yesterday - just repeating. Hopefully the hamstring troubles are all a thing of the past. SEN were mentioning him again this morning. They agreed he was making a good move getting out of Coll'wood as their mid-field would be very hard to get into (partly assuming Treloar would be a pie soon).
Nathan sounds like he is full of potential, the change of scene could benefit him & us really well.
Hope we keep our first 2 picks as well. Would like another big KPD so if Carlilse is in the right head-space great but holding onto pick 5 etc.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Some guys are just not cut out for AFL footy. Great players, but just not able to step up to the big leagues.

Xavier Clarke is a great example. Played 106 games over 10 seasons in the AFL. Really good player, but that's not a good enough return for a No. 5 pick.

We just need to make sure we're not bullied by Collingwood to give up too much, and then we are patient if we can snag him. I would hope he'd get 15 VFL games next year as a minimum, just to get back into the swing of fronting up every week. Not even worry about his form or getting him into the seniors, just get him playing regular footy again.

Maybe send the 'Pies pick 5, for Freeman and pick 7?? Then 7 goes to the Bombers for Carlisle and their 2nd rounder (about 22-ish). Giving us 2 players and low 20's pick for 5.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Some guys are just not cut out for AFL footy. Great players, but just not able to step up to the big leagues.

Xavier Clarke is a great example. Played 106 games over 10 seasons in the AFL. Really good player, but that's not a good enough return for a No. 5 pick.

We just need to make sure we're not bullied by Collingwood to give up too much, and then we are patient if we can snag him. I would hope he'd get 15 VFL games next year as a minimum, just to get back into the swing of fronting up every week. Not even worry about his form or getting him into the seniors, just get him playing regular footy again.

Maybe send the 'Pies pick 5, for Freeman and pick 7?? Then 7 goes to the Bombers for Carlisle and their 2nd rounder (about 22-ish). Giving us 2 players and low 20's pick for 5.
I doubt that a swap of 5 and 7 would get the deal done with Collingwood, but perhaps adding in our third rounder could do it. Particularly if there a a few mids we'd be happy to take (Clarke, Mathieson, Balic) with no clear standout. That could help Collingwood get the Treloar deal over the line. It would hurt if Parish ended up going at 5 or 6 though.

footynut
Club Player

If you look at the history of some recent trades ie. Jonathan O'Rourke, Jared Pole and Billy Longer just to name a few. These players were all high selections when drafted, staved of opportunity for different reasons. Their original club have not received close to their draft selection. There for I think we should offer our third round selection, or at very most our second round with their third round thrown in as well.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

footynut wrote:If you look at the history of some recent trades ie. Jonathan O'Rourke, Jared Pole and Billy Longer just to name a few. These players were all high selections when drafted, staved of opportunity for different reasons. Their original club have not received close to their draft selection. There for I think we should offer our third round selection, or at very most our second round with their third round thrown in as well.

Exactly. Just because Collingwood used their top 10 pick on him doesn't mean that is his real worth. Was Boekhursts? Really a first round pick?.

Give them 4th round at best. 3rd for Carlisle. Keep our first 2. If Aish wants to be a saint then that is our second pick.

footynut
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote:
footynut wrote:If you look at the history of some recent trades ie. Jonathan O'Rourke, Jared Pole and Billy Longer just to name a few. These players were all high selections when drafted, staved of opportunity for different reasons. Their original club have not received close to their draft selection. There for I think we should offer our third round selection, or at very most our second round with their third round thrown in as well.

Exactly. Just because Collingwood used their top 10 pick on him doesn't mean that is his real worth. Was Boekhursts? Really a first round pick?.

Give them 4th round at best. 3rd for Carlisle. Keep our first 2. If Aish wants to be a saint then that is our second pick.

Then with pick 5 we could possibly add a Harley Balic, Callum Ah Chee or Charlie Curnow. All these players although slightly different would add a great foil for Billings as they swap between HHF and on ball.
And we end up adding a quality mid, key defender and a quality HHF/mid.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Late second rounder or pre season draft and give the filth nothing.
Hi plugger66

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Late second rounder or pre season draft and give the filth nothing.
Hi plugger66
yeah, hi plugger.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Freeman with his hamstrings history....... and to be playing most of his matches on Etihad turf........................ nah

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Confident young guy back in 2013....compares himself to Luke Shuey, certainly moved well back then

Nee!
stonecold
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote:

Confident young guy back in 2013....compares himself to Luke Shuey, certainly moved well back then
They are asked to compare themselves to a modern day player

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯