Jarrad Jansen.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Jarrad Jansen.

Wants a trade from the pussy cats. 192cm 93 kilos inside mid. Looks like the kind of player we need. Good hands, nice kick, good pace, very strong in the contest and rarely fumbles or wastes a possession. Also can swing forward or back as a third tall. He is not injured and has improved dramatically this year. Drafted pick 35, 2013. Initially touted as mid/forward but went back for Geelong VFL this year to learn defense and was impressive against our own No.1 pick Paddy Mac.A much better more versatile prospect than Freeman in my eyes. If Dangerfield goes to the cats he will come to us for a third round pick or soft trade ( Siposs, Shenton etc) Would have a better chance with us than with either WA side. Comments?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jarrad Jansen.

CQ SAINT wrote:Wants a trade from the pussy cats. 192cm 93 kilos inside mid. Looks like the kind of player we need. Good hands, nice kick, good pace, very strong in the contest and rarely fumbles or wastes a possession. Also can swing forward or back as a third tall. He is not injured and has improved dramatically this year. Drafted pick 35, 2013. Initially touted as mid/forward but went back for Geelong VFL this year to learn defense and was impressive against our own No.1 pick Paddy Mac.A much better more versatile prospect than Freeman in my eyes. If Dangerfield goes to the cats he will come to us for a third round pick or soft trade ( Siposs, Shenton etc) Would have a better chance with us than with either WA side. Comments?

Do not need inside mids at all. We do need in outside like Freeman. That's who I would be putting my energy in to. And Shenton and Siposs aren't tradable.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Never heard of the guy. Must have been a low pick

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Never heard of the guy. Must have been a low pick

Pick 36. East Freemantle boy. Doesn't even rate it as a "D" class player by Robert Shaw. played 16 games for 5 goals in two seasons with the cats VFL team.

Big no from me. Big boy though at 192cm and 94 ks.

SMS
Club Player

I like it. Good find

We need taller mids. Tiny compared to freo etc

2013 is a great draft. He is from fremantle. Just like Acres, to expect a teenager to move interstate and perform straight away is ridiculous.

This guy has talent and if we can grab him for nothing why not?

Lets get bargains.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:I like it. Good find

We need taller mids. Tiny compared to freo etc

2013 is a great draft. He is from fremantle. Just like Acres, to expect a teenager to move interstate and perform straight away is ridiculous.

This guy has talent and if we can grab him for nothing why not?

Lets get bargains.

What about David Coppins. He is a 194cm from South Adelaide and is only 18 years old. IN and outside player and ready to go according to their coach. Big boy as well being 92kg.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:Wants a trade from the pussy cats. 192cm 93 kilos inside mid. Looks like the kind of player we need. Good hands, nice kick, good pace, very strong in the contest and rarely fumbles or wastes a possession. Also can swing forward or back as a third tall. He is not injured and has improved dramatically this year. Drafted pick 35, 2013. Initially touted as mid/forward but went back for Geelong VFL this year to learn defense and was impressive against our own No.1 pick Paddy Mac.A much better more versatile prospect than Freeman in my eyes. If Dangerfield goes to the cats he will come to us for a third round pick or soft trade ( Siposs, Shenton etc) Would have a better chance with us than with either WA side. Comments?

Do not need inside mids at all. We do need in outside like Freeman. That's who I would be putting my energy in to. And Shenton and Siposs aren't tradable.
I dont get why Shenton and Siposs aren't tradable. Am I missing something. Rules? or noone would want them.

I would have thought McEvoy was untradable too.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: I dont get why Shenton and Siposs aren't tradable. Am I missing something. Rules? or noone would want them.
Neither can get a regular game in a bottom side so they have no trade currency.

Siposs will be a free agent, Shenton will battle to stay on the list for 2017 IMO.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

This kid Jansen is a big boy. He was close late season a few times for Geelong who in all fairness have a better midfield than us. He is successfully reveloping his versatility, he lost 4 kilos this year and was running out VFL games at the end of the season and his highlight reels show him to be very versatile. This whole inside/outside debate is a bit strange. We have Newnes and Armitage who I consider inside. I know AR said he was happy with our inside game and why shouldnt he be. Im pretty sure that Hawthorn, West Coast and Freo and even Port Adelaide dont rate it that much. In terms of getting rid of Billings I see the validity of AR's comment but 'we dont need inside mids AT ALL' is a touch naive.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I dont get why Shenton and Siposs aren't tradable. Am I missing something. Rules? or noone would want them.

I would have thought McEvoy was untradable too.

McEvoy? Through ability or we needed him? Siposs is going to be delisted so why would anyone give us something for him and Shenton is just a pretty average footballer unfortunately.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Everyone is tradable and we need a bigger stronger midfield. If they dont want Siposs Shenton or etc. Why are they still on our list. McEvoy was an example of how what you might not expect, may happen. Perhaps I should have said Ross, Blake or Curren. We cant keep them all and Freeman is just looking for a payrise before he has done anything. Lets take an injured Magpie and pay him more than they did to play VFL. That will really piss Eddie off.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:Everyone is tradable and we need a bigger stronger midfield. If they dont want Siposs Shenton or etc. Why are they still on our list. McEvoy was an example of how what you might not expect, may happen. Perhaps I should have said Ross, Blake or Curren. We cant keep them all and Freeman is just looking for a payrise before he has done anything. Lets take an injured Magpie and pay him more than they did to play VFL. That will really piss Eddie off.

They are on our list because we haven't delisted anyone and even if they are kept on out list it doesn't make them tradeable. The Hawks would have plenty of players that no one else would want that they have chosen to keep. Sorry but I don't understand your last statement. I take it you don't want Freeman and think he will only play VFL but for some reason this other guy that wasn't rated that high as a junior you want. I don't get it but I do know Freeman was rated very highly and he gets his body right will play AFL and id say at a pretty good level. I would suggest better than this Jansen fellow.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

This is the kind of guy we could rookie. But is he one of the best midfielders in the VFL?
To make it in the AFL you need to be one of the top mids in the VFL at age 20. Barlow is a great example of a bloke who was very big and still playing VFL at 21. But when he was 21 he dominated the VFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:This is the kind of guy we could rookie. But is he one of the best midfielders in the VFL?
To make it in the AFL you need to be one of the top mids in the VFL at age 20. Barlow is a great example of a bloke who was very big and still playing VFL at 21. But when he was 21 he dominated the VFL.

7 times in the best in 32 games and 12 goals. The one thing he does have going for him is he plays a lot. Reckon there is 80 players like him in the VFL. In racing terms, looking elsewhere.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:This is the kind of guy we could rookie. But is he one of the best midfielders in the VFL?
Is this the kind of method that was use to recruit Jack Sinclair?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
not complaining - love Sinclair but dont remember him dominating anything.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Has requested a trade to the Lions..

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to him. Hope they give him a go. Looks like they might be prepared to take a punt on him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
Relevance? Your illogic has lost me there.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Sinclair was recruited at 20 as a skillful mid/forward. He was a rookie. He wasnt an impressive junior. In fact he was a cricketer. He played 3 games of VFL and from most accounts didnt dominate. He is making it in the AFL.

If you fail to see the logic I am happy to explain.

He showed immense improvement in a short time, like Jansen and was recruited, like Jansen will be by the Lions.

Its easy to pick one of the best midfielder in the VFL. It takes vision to see a raw talent who is committed and has the stuff to make it.

Illogic? Relevance? Did you forget what you wrote. I put your quote there. Read it again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Sinclair was recruited at 20 as a skillful mid/forward. He was a rookie. He wasnt an impressive junior. In fact he was a cricketer. He played 3 games of VFL and from most accounts didnt dominate. He is making it in the AFL.

He showed immense improvement in a short time, like Jansen and was recruited, like Jansen will be by the Lions.

Its easy to pick one of the best midfielder in the VFL. It takes vision to see a raw talent who is committed and has the stuff to make it.

Illogic? Relevance? Did you forget what you wrote. I put your quote there. Read it again.

How many games have you seen this guy play? And Sinclair obviously showed enough promise in those games ao we recruited him. I have never heard of this guy but I'm guessing there is many like him running around in the AFL. Do you know him?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

How many games have you seen this guy play? And Sinclair obviously showed enough promise in those games ao we recruited him. I have never heard of this guy but I'm guessing there is many like him running around in the AFL. Do you know him?
I do not know him. I have lifelong contacts who assist and coach and have played in Tassie, QAFL SANFL (VFA) VFL AFL and lots of country fooball and I pay a lot of attention. I played for a VFA club who are now a development club. I was offered a chance at North Melb U/19s but Pagan didnt want me.
The idiot thought Tim McGrath and Glenn Archer were better than me. Guess he was right.

Jansen began to stand out this year and he just won runners up for Geelong VFL to prove a point. If you havent heard of him - its no suprise. If you get your info from the internet and newspapers - its also no surprise - because they report the news after it happens.

I feel no need to identify myself or justify my passions but any kid who is 192 & 93 plays midfield forward and back, takes extra training and coaching, looses kilos to gain endurance and wins runners up in a VFL club at 20 is worth a look. I guess hindsight will keep your foot out of your mouth.

My opinion is one in a million but before I post something I am generally confident about my info and research. A few people on here should probably do the same. Then they wont look like dicks who think they know what they are talking about only to have it discovered that throw away comments are just that.

I have heard that Sinclair was identified for St.Kilda by Billings. I know they are friends and played together. Sort of makes philosophy about the way young players are identified a bit silly. My dad travelled all over Victoria identifying VFA talent in the 70' and 80's. He played at the same club I played at.

I played over 400 games of Senior footy, my first at 15 with my dad who was 53 at the time and my last will be next year. I am 45. I guess I have a pedigree for these things but my opinion is only based on what I know. I manage a company and I coach/play Queensland Country football. I am no expert. If someone tells me something I listen and then research for myself. If I find it interesting and valid I share the information with others. I am a fan of the game and I love to see young men work hard and achieve.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jarrad Jansen.

Excellent and I have actually seen freeman play, the person you potted and I think he is exactly what we need. Anyway we most likely won't get either but freeman is more chance to come to us than Jansen and I think that's a good thing

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

This thread is about Jarrad Jansen. I think he would have been a better choice than Freeman because he is developing his craft now not avoiding hamstring injuries and looking for a payrise. Technically Jansen could play in any part of the field against a multitude of body shapes. He is strong and fit and ready to go. From what here I here of Freeman is he is not and will need time to regain all the time he lost since he was an outstanding Junior. We will not get Jansen. If we get Freeman I hope he lives up to the hype. How old was he when you saw him play and what level was it and how many games has he played since.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:This thread is about Jarrad Jansen. I think he would have been a better choice than Freeman because he is developing his craft now not avoiding hamstring injuries and looking for a payrise. Technically Jansen could play in any part of the field against a multitude of body shapes. He is strong and fit and ready to go. From what here I here of Freeman is he is not and will need time to regain all the time he lost since he was an outstanding Junior. We will not get Jansen. If we get Freeman I hope he lives up to the hype. How old was he when you saw him play and what level was it and how many games has he played since.

It is but you mentioned Freeman first. I have no idea why we even have these threads. Surely its better to discuss players that have been mentioned in trade talks. As far as I can see is if this guy goes anywhere it wont be to us.

I saw Freeman play as an 8 year old and he was excellent. I also saw him play cricket as a 13 year old and he has some work to do. And the only hype I have heard about Freeman was that he was a pick 10. He may be no good now but the pies certainly want to keep him.