2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Rumours

gringo wrote:
SainterK wrote:I'm missing something with Newnes I think?

I see he gets a bit of ball these days, but does he impact games?

Given how they vote for the B&F, I don't think his coaches think he does much either.

He is the sort of guy who may bite us on the butt if we traded him, or he could be like Ben, where he may of hit his potential and it's a calculated decision to offload him.

I like him, don't get me wrong, really level headed kid...but what if a few years in this is what you get?
If he never improves he own a spot in our best 22. He doesn't have a weakness in his game. He just isn't flashy. He kicks well, gets the ball cleanly in the air and off the ground.
It might surprise some to see he was third at the Saints for marks, 4th for disposals, 5th for kicks, 4th for handballs, 3rd in fantasy footy, kicked 6 goals and 6th in player ratings. That's a pretty impressive resume. He just happens to be like Joey where his disposals don't look as flashy as some of the others so he gets looked past.
Newnes fan hear too.

But if he was what was needed to gain all of Carlisle, Aish and Kelly then it would be worth it.

I would rather lose Ross than Newnes by a long way though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
evo wrote:
SainterK wrote:So who is Brian?

I can say with confidence we have players on the trade table, does that make me in the know? ;)
He was on the money with the Watters sacking and McCartin as our first pick.

....and not so on the money with other predictions like Cameron.
To be fair to BS, that was a possibility until Patton did his knee.

mambo2706
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:I would rather lose Ross than Newnes by a long way though.
Same here. I think Ross is way too slow and can be easily covered if we lose him. I didn't think Newnes would make it as a player but he has impressed me this year. Having said that I'm not sure I'd want Carlisle at the Saints either.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
evo wrote:

I can say with confidence we have players on the trade table, does that make me in the know? ;)

Personally I doubt it as Cameron is IMO way way better than Patton or Boyd, and is they key forward that you would want to keep.

I can understand that the Saints would want him, but GWS would have been mad to let Cameron go and keep Patton and/or Boyd.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
Playon wrote:
LTN16 wrote:I've always rated Talia from Bulldogs, gets a lot of the ball for a tall defender.

Interesting.. Tony74 said a few weeks back that Carslise was a done deal to Carlton so we'll wait an see..
No it as jaxons who said it back in August, he seemed pretty confident about it.
Sorry my bad! Got the two of them mixed up. Jaxons is usually on the money isn't he?
No.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Rumours Extra

I'd keep Murdoch

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Given how they vote for the B&F, I don't think his coaches think he does much either.

He is the sort of guy who may bite us on the butt if we traded him, or he could be like Ben, where he may of hit his potential and it's a calculated decision to offload him.

I like him, don't get me wrong, really level headed kid...but what if a few years in this is what you get?
Jack is getting hugely undervalued on here, he isn't flashy but he is super consistent, he has played every game over the last 2 years, this year averaged over 20 disposals per game at an efficiency of 79% which is actually higher than Jimmy Webster whom people rate as the best kick in the side. He has also only played 51 games so the upside is massive. I love the way he attacks the ball and the man with the ball, he plays for keeps.
It would be a mistake to offload him and I hope the club would feel the same.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:
What a team. Granted Acres needs to pick up but his talent and height will come through. Just a bit of readjusting from home I hear. You try moving 3000kms at 18 years of age to a place you know NO ONE!!
that's not correct at all Blake adjusted quiet easily he got into a share house with Tom Lee pretty much straight away and found a g/f over in Melb quickly so distance from home is not an issue ... Niggling injury is the problem for him at the moment once he gets a good consistent run of injury free games he will come firing out of the blocks

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
evo wrote:

Apparently he has claimed until the Giants started winning earlier this year we had all but managed to get Treloar over the line too. Wish some of his rumours had come off.

stjay
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:

Jack is getting hugely undervalued on here, he isn't flashy but he is super consistent, he has played every game over the last 2 years, this year averaged over 20 disposals per game at an efficiency of 79% which is actually higher than Jimmy Webster whom people rate as the best kick in the side. He has also only played 51 games so the upside is massive. I love the way he attacks the ball and the man with the ball, he plays for keeps.
The reasons why everyone rates Newnes is exactly why he has potential worth in a trade. The ideal would be that we keep all of our good players which, when we start challenging in finals, will mean we have serious depth. However the poor drafting prior to 2013 has created a huge problem in that to get more elite talent through the door quickly we will probably need to make more of these types of hard decisions. I really hope it doesn't happen but we need to be prepared that it is a possibility. Interesting that despite his stats this year he didn't poll as well in the B&F which indicates a disconnect between how he is rated internally vs. externally.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

So a favourite is possible to be traded .... Might have to get the pen and paper ready I sense a stern letter is about to be written!!!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
gringo
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:

The reasons why everyone rates Newnes is exactly why he has potential worth in a trade. The ideal would be that we keep all of our good players which, when we start challenging in finals, will mean we have serious depth. However the poor drafting prior to 2013 has created a huge problem in that to get more elite talent through the door quickly we will probably need to make more of these types of hard decisions. I really hope it doesn't happen but we need to be prepared that it is a possibility. Interesting that despite his stats this year he didn't poll as well in the B&F which indicates a disconnect between how he is rated internally vs. externally.
I don't see how trading Newnes could be part of the plan. He's unique in that he's a low profile high output wing man rather than a mid. Ross is probably the most tradable on the fact he seems to have plenty of competition in the inside mid stakes so isn't as structurally important. Webster and Newnes are the types we would want to trade in not out. Ross is building really nicely and shown plenty of potential but offers the least destruction of our own needs to achieve the same outcome. Otherwise we could make big cals on a guy like Geary who despite his drive and endeavour still turns over the ball. Gilbert similar. I could see those guys being very desirable to other clubs so possibly get more for them.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
SMS wrote:
What a team. Granted Acres needs to pick up but his talent and height will come through. Just a bit of readjusting from home I hear. You try moving 3000kms at 18 years of age to a place you know NO ONE!!
that's not correct at all Blake adjusted quiet easily he got into a share house with Tom Lee pretty much straight away and found a g/f over in Melb quickly so distance from home is not an issue ... Niggling injury is the problem for him at the moment once he gets a good consistent run of injury free games he will come firing out of the blocks
Can you tell me how he found a gf

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
SMS wrote:
Can you tell me how he found a gf
Hopefully not through Ashley Madison :shock:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Apparently he has claimed until the Giants started winning earlier this year we had all but managed to get Treloar over the line too. Wish some of his rumours had come off.
He was talking about Shiel, but nevertheless I wouldn't put too much (or any) weight on what he says. Makes a lot of claims and when one in ten sticks people suddenly think he's well-connected. Might hear some whispers but I think he tends to take these whispers/rumours as fact either because he wants to believe it or he wants to be the forum hero.

He also started the rumour that Franklin has pulled a Carey/Stevens situation with Tippet's GF, which I'm almost certain is a load of s***. I doubt Buddy's missus would be publicly supporting him if this was the case.

Kernal75
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
gringo wrote:Apparently he has claimed until the Giants started winning earlier this year we had all but managed to get Treloar over the line too. Wish some of his rumours had come off.
He was talking about Shiel, but nevertheless I wouldn't put too much (or any) weight on what he says. Makes a lot of claims and when one in ten sticks people suddenly think he's well-connected. Might hear some whispers but I think he tends to take these whispers/rumours as fact either because he wants to believe it or he wants to be the forum hero.

He also started the rumour that Franklin has pulled a Carey/Stevens situation with Tippet's GF, which I'm almost certain is a load of s***. I doubt Buddy's missus would be publicly supporting him if this was the case.
The same rumour is now doing the rounds on FB through AFL rumours. Have heard this rumour multiple time myself so might be something in it

Vazelos
Club Player

The Tippett GF rumour with Buddy is building some serious traction

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Dunno about that one
Def drugs and rehab imo but don't believe the other rumor myself

Not that we are going to find out any thing concrete
Imo

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

The same rumour is now doing the rounds on FB through AFL rumours. Have heard this rumour multiple time myself so might be something in it
A lie spoken many times is no closer to being true.

Have you heard it from anybody who you believe would actually know such a thing?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Kernal75
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

A lie spoken many times is no closer to being true.

Have you heard it from anybody who you believe would actually know such a thing?
Perhaps

Long Term Injury
Club Player

gringo wrote:
stjay wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:

I don't see how trading Newnes could be part of the plan. He's unique in that he's a low profile high output wing man rather than a mid. Ross is probably the most tradable on the fact he seems to have plenty of competition in the inside mid stakes so isn't as structurally important. Webster and Newnes are the types we would want to trade in not out. Ross is building really nicely and shown plenty of potential but offers the least destruction of our own needs to achieve the same outcome. Otherwise we could make big cals on a guy like Geary who despite his drive and endeavour still turns over the ball. Gilbert similar. I could see those guys being very desirable to other clubs so possibly get more for them.
Im with you brother. Newnes is super important. he wont be the best player in the years to come but he will one of the most important

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I do think we have to be really careful here. Of course you have to give something to get something however there’s a real cost involved when trading out a young kid who has a helluva lot of plusses and would have the respect of his peers.

Newnes has been spoken of as a future leader virtually since he’s arrived. He’s absolutely dedicated and determined and hasn’t put a foot wrong. His on field performances are improving as well.

He’s the sort of kid you look at as an example of what we are trying to achieve at our club. Of the culture we aim to create. There’s a very real danger in trading someone like Newnes out even if an argument can be made that we will get something better. It can send mixed messages to other young players at the club or to those we aim to bring into the club.

Essendon on the other hand don’t need to worry about this. They may lose a gun but there will be no fall out from their playing group as they are losing someone who is OOC, who doesn’t want to be at the club and who has actually rubbished the club.

A lot different indeed to pushing out a respected, contracted player who doesn’t want to leave.

Just need to be very careful.

* I’m responding theoretically as I don’t really believe Newnes is being considered for trade.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Has anyone considered what player type is high on Essendope's list of needs when trying to figure out who may we may be offering as part of a trade? Beyond "someone without a drug suspension hanging over their head" I don't really know what their list needs are in terms of new additions.....?? Small forwards, ruckmen, outside mids, small defenders????

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Hickey is 25
Longer is 21

Much more upside with longer. Hickey is ok but OK doesnt win you flags

If we can off load Hickey, Saunders, our Picks and Ross (who we have heaps of) and get Carlisle Freeman Talia Kelly and Aish?

We could win the flag in 2018. And reiwoldt still here.

Is there any chance we couldnpull this off?

Interesting idea of ages. As for your idea off loading those for what you want to receive well at best its laughable but at the worst its just plain redicoulous. We need to try and be fair dinkum with trade. You whinge about not getting anything done and then you come up with that. And someone else wanted a straight swap of Ross for Carlisle. Really. I think it ok to have silly suggestions on trades but then don't whinge if we don't get anything done. As for others saying Newnes is super important well I don't think he will be traded but he isn't super important. He is just a nice little player. We need some stars in our side. Yep we also need nice players but if we got a deal that was in our favour we must forget loyalty and do it if the player is happy to do it.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yep we also need nice players but if we got a deal that was in our favour we must forget loyalty and do it if the player is happy to do it.
This is the great unknown.

While players at the end of their careers such as Chapman, Cooney & Gwilt may have been prepared to throw their lot in with the rabble that is Essendon, we have no idea how younger players would feel about such a move. Money and greater opportunity may work for some however I can't imagine this destination would fill many potential recruits with enthusiasm.

I suppose we'll find out more this trade period.