Now that we have pick 5.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

Now that we have pick 5.....

.....is it possible we might snag Darcy Parish? I hope so because we desperately need more class in the midfield.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Now that we have pick 5.....

citywest wrote:.....is it possible we might snag Darcy Parish? I hope so because we desperately need more class in the midfield.

There is a chance we will and there is chance we wont. We may also trade Steven for Watts. Well that's what I heard.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:.....is it possible we might snag Darcy Parish? I hope so because we desperately need more class in the midfield.
Hopefully, if your mob don't grab him first.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not saying its the be all and end all. But this is Knightmare's top 10 Mock Draft:

2015 Phantom Draft:

1. Carlton – Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 23/11/1997
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Range: 1-2
Profile: Rapidly improving rebounding key defender.

2. Brisbane –Joshua Schache (VIC – KPF)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 96kg, DOB: 21/08/1997
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Range: 1-2
Profile: Dominant key forward.

-- Gold Coast I predict bid on Callum Mills here forcing Sydney to take Mills here --

3. Gold Coast – Aaron Francis (SA – DEF/FWD)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 10/08/1997
Recruited from: West Adelaide
Range: 3-5
Profile: Dominant rebounding defender who also does damage forward of centre.

-- Essendon I predict bid on Jacob Hopper here forcing GWS to take Hopper here --

4. Essendon – Darcy Parish (VIC – MID)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 25/07/1997
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Range: 3-10
Profile: High production, skilful midfielder.

5. St Kilda– – Rhys Mathieson (VIC – MID)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 10/01/1997
Profile: High production midfielder.

6. Melbourne – Harley Balic (VIC – MID/FWD)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 05/01/1997
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Profile: Damaging midfielder/forward.

7. Collingwood – Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 17/06/1997
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Range: 5-25
Profile: Classy ball user with special talent.

-- Port Adelaide I predict bid on Matthew Kennedy here forcing GWS to take Kennedy here --

8. Port Adelaide – Charlie Curnow (VIC –MID/KPF)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB: 03/02/1997
Profile: Powerful and athletic tall midfielder who can also have an impact as a key forward.

9. GWS – Jacob Hopper (NSW/ACT - GWS ACADEMY - MID)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 06/02/1997
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Range: 1st round
Profile: Dominant contested ball winning midfielder.

10. Geelong – Kieran Collins (VIC – KPD)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 94kg, DOB: 14/12/1997
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Range: 5-20
Profile: Promising key defender with a knack for intercepting.

citywest

I'm still hoping we can grab Darcy Parish with our first pick and Kieran Collins with our second pick. From what I have read and seen they are exactly what we need.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Important to note that KNightmare has GWS pulling in three top 10 picks. Now I dont think that can be done using the points system.

If it is - well its just a f*cking joke and we have no chance beating them in the next decade.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I'm still hoping we can grab Darcy Parish with our first pick and Kieran Collins with our second pick. From what I have read and seen they are exactly what we need.
Collins is unlikely to make it to pick 23 if you go by Knightmare.

seano1
Club Player

After reading /listening to why they chose Paddy in the last draft......their thoughts were i beleive were you can always pick up a midfielder but it cost more to get a Key position player......on that base i think they will go orat least try to get more tall backmen or even another forward...still not convinced on Paddy or Bruce...but they are still young and another pre season may help. Our backline needs rebuilding with Fish playing 1 more year and Goddard needs to get more miles into his legs ....and for goodness sake no more small forwards

citywest

Con Gorozidis wrote:
citywest wrote:I'm still hoping we can grab Darcy Parish with our first pick and Kieran Collins with our second pick. From what I have read and seen they are exactly what we need.
You never know your luck in a big city. Just look back to last year. Nobody expected Goddard to last until 21. :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote:After reading /listening to why they chose Paddy in the last draft......their thoughts were i beleive were you can always pick up a midfielder but it cost more to get a Key position player......on that base i think they will go orat least try to get more tall backmen or even another forward...still not convinced on Paddy or Bruce...but they are still young and another pre season may help. Our backline needs rebuilding with Fish playing 1 more year and Goddard needs to get more miles into his legs ....and for goodness sake no more small forwards

Surely you don't recruit players because you think the ones you got may fail especially a pick one. The game is less and less about big KPP and more and more about tall mids who can run. Just look at the amount of goals kicked by medium and smaller players this year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
You never know your luck in a big city. Just look back to last year. Nobody expected Goddard to last until 21. :D

Yes. But using the logic, then you might as well just say lets pick Mills or Hopper.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 06 Sep 2015 6:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Important to note that KNightmare has GWS pulling in three top 10 picks. Now I dont think that can be done using the points system.

If it is - well its just a f*cking joke and we have no chance beating them in the next decade.
If that happens along with Sydney's picks I'm borderline throwing in the towel on this corrupt league.

Carlton and Brisbane could be getting first band compo, pushing us out even further. All this talk of equilisation and here we are getting screwed. We still need 2 very good drafts to be any chance of a premiership, but as long as AFL can snag the Sydney market who gives a f*** right.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Important to note that KNightmare has GWS pulling in three top 10 picks. Now I dont think that can be done using the points system.

If that happens along with Sydney's picks I'm borderline throwing in the towel on this corrupt league.

Carlton and Brisbane could be getting first band compo, pushing us out even further. All this talk of equilisation and here we are getting screwed. We still need 2 very good drafts to be any chance of a premiership, but as long as AFL can snag the Sydney market who gives a f*** right.
Sorry - my mistake. 2 X top 10s. Hopper and Kennedy.
Still makes it very hard. They are being gifted a flag. Maybe a few flags.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Griggsy wrote:

Sorry - my mistake. 2 X top 10s. Hopper and Kennedy.
Still makes it very hard. They are being gifted a flag. Maybe a few flags.
Yes I made the same mistake with the early bid being taken at 9. The system is still a joke, I hope the AFL experiment fails.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well GWS had 11 wins - 4 1/2 more than us. They did it with a young side. And now they get 2 x top 10 picks to add to that list.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well GWS had 11 wins - 4 1/2 more than us. They did it with a young side. And now they get 2 x top 10 picks to add to that list.
it's a good set-up they have, i would love an acceleration package like these clubs have had… 10 first round draft picks in next years draft would be really handy.

james rose
Club Player

I'm hoping we get Aaron Francis, could still be there at pick 5 if we're lucky.

On a related note I'm lucky enough to be writing again for a football website and I'm doing a few draft profiles for those interested link to Francis profile is below.

http://www.zerohanger.com/2015-afl-draf ... i8xdpWS.97

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

There is a chance we will and there is chance we wont. We may also trade Steven for Watts. Well that's what I heard.
Gee that's not what I heard.

It was we take Watts in return for Plugger66.
Unfortunately both teams said "No, we don't need any more list cloggers".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Gershwin
Club Player

We take the best available 18 yo.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:We take the best available 18 yo.
Agree. But this is very uncertain. It might end up being the 8th best 18yo. How are we going to compete?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:I'm hoping we get Aaron Francis, could still be there at pick 5 if we're lucky.

On a related note I'm lucky enough to be writing again for a football website and I'm doing a few draft profiles for those interested link to Francis profile is below.

Good stuff James. Certainly lots of uncertainty in this years draft.

RW&B
Club Player

james rose wrote:I'm hoping we get Aaron Francis, could still be there at pick 5 if we're lucky.

I don't know much about the draftees apart from what I read on player profiles but I am interested in Charlie Curnow. What are his foot skills like?

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Take it with a grain of salt - but Knightmare reckons Parish is not all that good and not all that quick. He rates Mills and Hopper as a class above.
Make of that what you will.
He also reckons Curnow is ok - but not that flash. He reckons Tucker and Mathieson are nothing special either. He does rate Francis highly though.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/k ... t-40703313

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Very interesting is that Knightmare has Hopper, Mills, Keays in his top 5. All academy players. He rated Keays as better than PArish if we are looking for a fast line breaking and versatile mid.

If we nominate Keays with our pick 5 it would force the Lions into an awkward situation if they have already used their pick 2 on Schache. They will only just have enough points remaining to take him.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/k ... t-40703313

Brisbane - Ben Keays (QLD – BRISBANE ACADEMY – MID/FWD)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 82.3kg, DOB: 23/02/1997
Recruited from: Brisbane Lions
Range: 1st round – 2nd round
Profile: Strong marking, goalkicking midfielder.

Knightmare has him 4th on his overall rankings.

So my theory is that if we nominate him it at 5 - it forces Brisbane to use their pick 20 on him and knocks out their pick 20. This moves us up one spot in the 20s.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Are we guaranteed to pick him because AR is good family friends of the Parish family just like how we chose Petracca last year?