the Winners - Fox - St Kilda- 1982

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: the Winners - Fox - St Kilda- 1982

Dr Spaceman wrote: He was quite a good player though only had a short career with us (think he ended up at Richmond).

If I recall correctly, there was some dispute with Essendon over who he was zoned to.

When we played the Bombers at Waverley our banner read "Hands Off Our Cox" :lol:
Bowey Boy wrote:Cox was somehow claimed by Richmond and there was legal argument over him regarding his Zoning. My only claim to fame is that I made the banner up and wrote "Hands off Cox" and stuck it up at Waverley when I was a teenager. My Mum would not let me write "Our Cox". Pictures of it made the Sunday papers the next day.

At the end of the game (we got thumped of course), I retrieved the banner and took it home on the bus to Southland (that took forever from Waverley). We ripped it up after hanging it across the back window of the bus and shitting the driver.
Cox worked out we were going no-where and went to Essendon where he promptly did nothing.
Great story Bowey Boy.

The 33 years have messed with my mind a bit and I got me Bombers and Tiges mixed up.

And that missing "our" has obviously crept into my memory somewhere along the journey :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: He was quite a good player though only had a short career with us (think he ended up at Richmond).

If I recall correctly, there was some dispute with Essendon over who he was zoned to.

When we played the Bombers at Waverley our banner read "Hands Off Our Cox" :lol:
Bowey Boy wrote:Cox was somehow claimed by Richmond and there was legal argument over him regarding his Zoning. My only claim to fame is that I made the banner up and wrote "Hands off Cox" and stuck it up at Waverley when I was a teenager. My Mum would not let me write "Our Cox". Pictures of it made the Sunday papers the next day.

At the end of the game (we got thumped of course), I retrieved the banner and took it home on the bus to Southland (that took forever from Waverley). We ripped it up after hanging it across the back window of the bus and shitting the driver.
Cox worked out we were going no-where and went to Essendon where he promptly did nothing.
Great story Bowey Boy.

The 33 years have messed with my mind a bit and I got me Bombers and Tiges mixed up.

And that missing "our" has obviously crept into my memory somewhere along the journey :wink:

I think there was something about him being in the army as well. Maybe I have that completely wrong.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Great story Bowey Boy.

I think there was something about him being in the army as well. Maybe I have that completely wrong.
Sounds right. Think he came to us from Puckapunyal. Seem to recall a story in the paper to that effect.

karnaby
Club Player

Team & stats here: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/19 ... 20410.html
umpys had it in for us that day too! :( 30 frees for - 43 against

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Those better informed will be able to answer definitively, was that Cox fellow in the backline a quality footballer??

That match was before my time, but watching him in that short segment he seemed a real player with height, skill and dash.

Thommo looked very likely too if not a little ungainly.
Not evan a GOP.

He left to go to Essendon over a dispute with his running career,

He was the guy that the Tigers claimed was theirs. We lost our match points but eventually got them back.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote:Cox was somehow claimed by Richmond and there was legal argument over him regarding his Zoning. My only claim to fame is that I made the banner up and wrote "Hands off Cox" and stuck it up at Waverley when I was a teenager. My Mum would not let me write "Our Cox". Pictures of it made the Sunday papers the next day. g.
I remember that in the Sunday Press. Classic

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:I'm sure it was a zoning issue with Cox. He played a handful of games in Mildura before heading to SA. Was therefore zoned to Richmond.

100% Correct Kosi.

Doug was a very quick sprinter, looked a player early but I cannot recall him playing a decent game after the Richmond challenge. Amazingly he ended up at the Tigers, the next season I think. I have hated the arrogant Tigers (and supporters) since those days for what they did to our club.

Like others who thought Cox was going to be a star I held similar hopes for Milan Faletic after he kicked 5.5 on debut only to turn into a major disappointment. Would rank up there with Garry Sidebottom as one of the most disappointing Saints ever after showing so much early.

Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

A correction, yes Cox went to the Bummers not the Tiges. Forgot that he was in the Army when we got him.

Saint supporter since '62