Josh Saunders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Saunders

im not basing my opinion on half a game
'

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was alright yesterday. The first two times he got the ball he had nowhere to go.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Pleased to see Saunders get a game - even if he was the Sub. Have a fair bit of time for him, very early days yet.
Contracted for next year I think, for those wanting him tipped out.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

My view is I put Saunders in the good quality depth player category.
When our stars shine like Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Ross, Bruce, Goddard, Lonie, D Mac etc... into the future - we need very capable depth players competing and getting games ready to go when needed.
So, you have; Saunders, Templeton, Murdoch, Hickey, Markworth, Lee, Simpkin, Curren, Shenton and Minchington.
That's ten, on top of the 22 makes 32, then there are another 8 (?) players mostly young who are developing.
I know most will say Simpkin is gonna go out, fair enough probably right, but I'm behind him.
And Markworth is totally unproven, but probably has the most talent out of all these. So figure he can fit into the lot.
I think gifted young players, take Billings for example, elite kicking just comes naturally from the beginning. But players like Saunders need a little more time in this area imo.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:I think gifted young players, take Billings for example, elite kicking just comes naturally from the beginning. But players like Saunders need a little more time in this area imo.
Unfortunately I can't think of many players (at least from our club) who started out as poor kicks but improved to be good. I feel like it's one of those things where either you've got it or you haven't.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
millarsaint wrote:I think gifted young players, take Billings for example, elite kicking just comes naturally from the beginning. But players like Saunders need a little more time in this area imo.
Unfortunately I can't think of many players (at least from our club) who started out as poor kicks but improved to be good. I feel like it's one of those things where either you've got it or you haven't.
agree Berg
kicking is incredibly hard to improve haven't seen much change in ordinary kicks myself

“Yeah….nah””
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
bergholt wrote:
agree Berg
kicking is incredibly hard to improve haven't seen much change in ordinary kicks myself
we had a big bloke who wore number 23 in the late 90s who could not kick at all early and became pretty good

what was his name again.......... Stewie ....????

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Saints94
SS Life Member

Give him time.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Tough assingment coming on when the rest of the team were playing poorly against opposition on a roll. Hope he gets another full game to display his wares, but taking sentimentality out of it, it's not looking overly promising. I wonder how the club will put a positive spin on probably more than 50% of those signed up in the future fest getting the chop within 2 yrs? just a bit of a light hearted dig after a dissapointing fade out on the weekend.

What concerns me is the majority of our young mids/forward mids/wing mids just dont find enough of the footy...even players that people on hear rate through thye roof, struggle to rack up more than 15 posi's a game. It's clearly harder than it looks, and guys like Ray and Schneider who can seemingly chalk up 20+ posi's per game at AFL level but clearly need to make way for the next gen, but that next gen need to start taking ownership and finding more of their own footy for us to move up the ladder.IMO FWIW

stkfc1
Club Player

I see Saunders, Wright, Minch and Eli in the same category. With Wright being the best so far.They need to learn to play within themselves first and once they've got that composure, then let their natural talent/instincts come to the fore. They all have one thing in common that this team needs and thats pace and the ability to break lines. If we can get at least two of these guys in regularly, we look a lot quicker straight away. They're all hard at it,which is a great start.

spert
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Saint wagga"]Tough assingment coming on when the rest of the team were playing poorly against opposition on a roll. Hope he gets another full game to display his wares, but taking sentimentality out of it, it's not looking overly promising. I wonder how the club will put a positive spin on probably more than 50% of those signed up in the future fest getting the chop within 2 yrs? just a bit of a light hearted dig after a dissapointing fade out on the weekend.

What concerns me is the majority of our young mids/forward mids/wing mids just dont find enough of the footy...even players that people on hear rate through thye roof, struggle to rack up more than 15 posi's a game. It's clearly harder than it looks, and guys like Ray and Schneider who can seemingly chalk up 20+ posi's per game at AFL level but clearly need to make way for the next gen, but that next gen need to start taking ownership and finding more of their own footy for us to move up the ladder.IMO FWIW[/

Clearly Lonie, Sinclair and probably DMac, are a class above Saunders and Minch, so I don't know where the latter two fit for the future?

Saints94
SS Life Member

Was very disappointing on the weekend.

nearly played a full game & only got 2 handballs.

pay him out & DELIST imo.

jaxons
Club Player

Certain to be delisted at the end of the year, cannot play.

Saints94
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote:Certain to be delisted at the end of the year, cannot play.
I assume Siposs & Simpkin are in the same boat?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Delist.

What's great year we've had. And to top it off there are some obvious delistings which aren't real losses so if we draft well should guarantee a better list

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Delist.

What's great year we've had. And to top it off there are some obvious delistings which aren't real losses so if we draft well should guarantee a better list

Yep its great we have obvious delistings. makes my day and makes the year even better.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:Certain to be delisted at the end of the year, cannot play.
Did you work that out all on your own or did you get help?

S.A Saint
Club Player

Seems to have gone backward since first drafted. Such a shame because i thought he had something there with his pace and attack on the footy.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yep its great we have obvious delistings. makes my day and makes the year even better.
Well would have it been a better year with the same 6.5 wins and thinking all our kids are guns?

We get rid of 6 to 8 bottom end that have either not played or done squat and have little to lose.

I think you are just being silly again plugs for the sake of it. That's fine. It is Saintsational.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
#gosaintas
Club Player

Must be delisted. We have enough players that can't kick and he, Geary, Stevens, Shenton and Gilbert are 3 too many. Good to see they are playing Gilbert away from the backline finally...he should never play behind wing/centre where his kicking is too big a liability.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well would have it been a better year with the same 6.5 wins and thinking all our kids are guns?

We get rid of 6 to 8 bottom end that have either not played or done squat and have little to lose.

I think you are just being silly again plugs for the sake of it. That's fine. It is Saintsational.

What I don't like is you talking about them as if they are just a commodity. Its not great that we know who we can list. Its sad for the kid who may have dreamed about AFL footy for years. Delistings are a fact in the AFL but I don't like people saying there aren't any real losses.

#gosaintas
Club Player

What I don't like is you talking about them as if they are just a commodity. Its not great that we know who we can list. Its sad for the kid who may have dreamed about AFL footy for years. Delistings are a fact in the AFL but I don't like people saying there aren't any real losses.[/quote]

They are a commodity to be traded, resigned or delisted. Who cares whether you like it or not.
Sure they dreamed about AFL footy and they got to play it. Maybe they should have learnt how to kick.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What I don't like is you talking about them as if they are just a commodity. Its not great that we know who we can list. Its sad for the kid who may have dreamed about AFL footy for years. Delistings are a fact in the AFL but I don't like people saying there aren't any real losses.
But for the sake of the argument that's what they are. Pieces of a puzzle. Footy teams aren't the real world. It's not a normal job.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:What I don't like is you talking about them as if they are just a commodity. Its not great that we know who we can list. Its sad for the kid who may have dreamed about AFL footy for years. Delistings are a fact in the AFL but I don't like people saying there aren't any real losses.
They are a commodity to be traded, resigned or delisted. Who cares whether you like it or not.
Sure they dreamed about AFL footy and they got to play it. Maybe they should have learnt how to kick.[/quote]

Non one has to care if I like it or not. What a strange comment. Next time I will ask others if they like it or not before I write it. Next time you say you want a player dropped please make sure others agree with you. I wouldn't have expected anything different from you after all you called Schneider a dud and a spud. And surely you can learn quote.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 24 Aug 2015 6:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

It would be a bad decision to delist Saunders when he is just starting to learn his midfield craft. He was recruited as a mid and has started to show form at VFL level as a mid, he just needs midfield time in the AFL to show his wares. People are screaming for midfield speed and break away run yet happy to delist Saunders. He is no better or worse a kick than Steven & Armitage. He is the perfect depth player who in time could become a valuable player just like Steven. Hawthorn have a number of his type of player that are developing in the two's and when they play them they perform. There is a number of other players that should be delisted before Saunders IMO!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!