Saints want Tassie games

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mambo2706
Club Player

Saints want Tassie games

I read this in the Mercury when I was there on the weekend but only just remembered about it:
ST KILDA wants to become a permanent fixture in Tasmania — at both ends of the state.

As the Saints prepare for their blockbuster clash against North Melbourne at Blundstone Arena tomorrow, the Mercury understands the club is pushing for the match to ­become an annual spectacle.

But the Saints will also lobby the AFL to pit them against two-time reigning premier Hawthorn at Aurora Stadium on a yearly basis from next ­season.

St Kilda has strong historical links with the Apple Isle, ­entrenched by the club’s only VFL-AFL premiership in 1966, which was captained by Darrel Baldock and contained fellow

Tasmanians Verdun Howell, John Bingley and three-time Brownlow medallist Ian Stewart. Baldock, Howell, Stewart and Barry Lawrence are also all in the Saints’ team of the 20th century.

Current skipper Nick Riewoldt was born in Hobart and spent his junior days in the state until he moved to the Gold Coast aged nine, while Mav Weller, Eli Templeton and Jimmy Webster are also on the list.

The Saints played in Hobart for the first time last year with more than 10,500 people ­attending. With the ground’s $32 million dollar ­redevelopment now complete, organisers are expecting a crowd around 14,000 for ­tomorrow’s contest.

But it is the Saints’ desire to again feature in Launceston that could prove a win-win for both the city and Hawthorn.

St Kilda was co-tenant with the Hawks at Aurora from 2003-06, playing two matches a season before allowing the Hawks to expand to four and turn its sponsorship with the State Government into a financial goldmine.

Just two weeks ago Hawthorn extended its partnership in the state through to 2021, agreeing to a five-year, $19 million deal with the ­Government.

Complaints have been raised in recent years about the schedule in Launceston, with less popular non-Victorian clubs regularly appearing, which has led to a decline in crowd numbers.

Since St Kilda’s last appearance at Aurora in 2009 — which attracted the second highest crowd at the ground of 20,011 — North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are the only Melbourne-based clubs to play against the Hawks.

The Saints averaged 16,432 fans to their eight “home” games in the state, with just one dropping under the 15,000 mark.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/sain ... 7482742468

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints want Tassie games

was mentioned at the pre game function on Saturday

looking for maybe North game at Hobart and Hawks game as Launie

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It would be great if they can salvage something out of this whole debacle

I really liked GT but with the whole Ball over Judd stuff up, this is the single biggest sliding doors stuff up.

Had we have stayed at Tassie, we would have made a lot more money, developed our membership base and if we'd actually taken the time to learn how to play at that wet, windy ground... I reckon we would have won the GF in 09

matrix
Saintsational Legend

+1

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Yep very poor short sighted decision by the then coach. Wasn't looking at the big picture.

And a weak board backed him in that decision instead of also looking at the big picture. Also the same board that moved the club to Seaford too, so decision making was pretty poor back then!!!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SENsei wrote:Yep very poor short sighted decision by the then coach. Wasn't looking at the big picture.

And a weak board backed him in that decision instead of also looking at the big picture. Also the same board that moved the club to Seaford too, so decision making was pretty poor back then!!!

The thing people need to remember is both the Hawks and Saints probably wouldn't have worked in the same city. Us going helped the Hawks but im doubting they both could have worked with just 2 games each.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Why would it not have worked?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SENsei wrote:Yep very poor short sighted decision by the then coach. Wasn't looking at the big picture.

The thing people need to remember is both the Hawks and Saints probably wouldn't have worked in the same city. Us going helped the Hawks but im doubting they both could have worked with just 2 games each.
What do you mean?

We both got money. That works. Now the Hawks get a lot more.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What do you mean?

Yes but we both wouldn't have 10k members and Tassie wouldn't haven't sponsored both like they have sponsored the Hawks. Logic says one side is going to work much netter than 2. Us moving helped the Hawks. The question should be would the Hawks have left if we stayed because with 2 sides staying there wouldn't have been the huge benefits the Hawks get now. And don't for one moment think the reason the hawks are now huge is because of Tassie. its good recruiting, good coaching, good administration and pokies, pokies, pokies.

We always look for excuses we are a small club but we just are. We don't need excuses. To become a big club we need all the things the Tigers and Hawks do well.

Locals322
Club Player

**Cringes**

Saints or Nomads. Wonder if the Tasmanians are as keen on the saints as the Kiwis :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mambo2706
Club Player

Locals322 wrote:**Cringes**

Saints or Nomads. Wonder if the Tasmanians are as keen on the saints as the Kiwis :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was surprised at how many Tassie locals actually support the Saints.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What do you mean?

Yes but we both wouldn't have 10k members and Tassie wouldn't haven't sponsored both like they have sponsored the Hawks. Logic says one side is going to work much netter than 2. Us moving helped the Hawks. The question should be would the Hawks have left if we stayed because with 2 sides staying there wouldn't have been the huge benefits the Hawks get now. And don't for one moment think the reason the hawks are now huge is because of Tassie. its good recruiting, good coaching, good administration and pokies, pokies, pokies.

We always look for excuses we are a small club but we just are. We don't need excuses. To become a big club we need all the things the Tigers and Hawks do well.
How do you know they wouldn't have?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly Brian Waldren said the Tassies down south cracked it when we went to Launie and not Hobart. They get upset easy down there so a bit of city hopping might be a good idea.

Locals322
Club Player

mambo2706 wrote:
Locals322 wrote:**Cringes**

I was surprised at how many Tassie locals actually support the Saints.

Third after Hawthorn and North...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What do you mean?

How do you know they wouldn't have?

Wouldn't have what?

mambo2706
Club Player

Does the Tassie government also sponsor North Melbourne?

I do agree with P66. I don't think 2 teams in the same town would work.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Tassie Government wouldn't support them both

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:The Tassie Government wouldn't support them both

I agree. Certainly no where the amount they do now.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the way I see it there was always only room for 1 team in Tassie and we gave that up to Hawthorn cause we couldn't play down there and win .. Hawthorn then got the deal of a lifetime to be looked after by Tassie ever since ... its was the slidingdoors moment where who knows what could of happened if we stayed and they left ??? just like the 1971 grand final where both hawthorn and us entered that on 1 flag each the hawks won and went on to dominate the 80's while we lost and would rather forget the 80's....

as for North they are freddy come-too-late's they saw the success hawthorn got from Tassie and are trying to suckle from that teat as well but its too late Hawthorn own that turf now

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Very funny plugger

I guess there is just no point in trying to talk with/to you. You either evade, misrepresent, twist etc when ppl call you on ur bulldust, or you just go for the needling.

Either it's simply pointless and boring dealing with you.

I'm on this forum to talk Saints, and have discussions with fans. Ur on this for the purpose of secondary gains.

I won't bother putting u on the foe list but i think i've had enough of trying to talk footy with you.

Yes and before you say it, i know you don't care. You don't care how ur perceived a d u don't care that you ruin this forum for so many ppl.
Don't bother replying

Good day

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Very funny plugger

I guess there is just no point in trying to talk with/to you. You either evade, misrepresent, twist etc when ppl call you on ur bulldust, or you just go for the needling.

Either it's simply pointless and boring dealing with you.

I'm on this forum to talk Saints, and have discussions with fans. Ur on this for the purpose of secondary gains.

I won't bother putting u on the foe list but i think i've had enough of trying to talk footy with you.

Good day

What a weird response. It was a joke. Do I have to respond to all your questions. I would have thought its pretty obvious and common sense that if 2 clubs are in Tassie they aren't going to get the same as one club especially when playing half the games. How can I prove it? I cant so its just a common sense friggin opinion and I get a response like that. Bloody childish if you ask me.

Im unsure suggesting they wouldn't get as much is evading, misrepresenting or twisting anything. Im also unsure what you said called me out on anything. Actually I don't think you have said anything that I would regard as calling me out. Now why don't you tell me the reasons you think they may get as much?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Don't forget the climate at the time guys. We bailed on Tassie as we were jack of selling home games as we were pushing for a tilt.

We were sooking it up deluxe around here...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:was mentioned at the pre game function on Saturday

looking for maybe North game at Hobart and Hawks game as Launie
I heard that the club wants to alternate between Haw/Lau one year and NM/Hob the next !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

geezus no wonder we struggle.
run back to Tassie now the Hawks showed us how it was done ......thanks GT
off to seaford, off to NZ.........

“Yeah….nah””
mambo2706
Club Player

I think it would be great for the club if we played the Hawks in Launceston and North in Hobart each year. They would be away games so we wouldn't be losing out on home game benefits and as I mentioned earlier there are a lot of Saints supporters in Tassie. If we could convert them into members and increase our membership by a few thousand then I think playing the two games over there each year would be a huge positive.