Sam Gilbert in 2019. Still important?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SMS
Club Player

Sam Gilbert in 2019. Still important?

Are we underestimating Sam Gilbert?

He has been in our best players since coming back.

His disposal at time can be ahhhtrocious however his attack, his run, his size can be invaluable.

29 today ... Will he play in our 2019 premiership? At 32/33 I think he would still be playing great footy possibly his best mature footy ... he has had ample time off so his body should be able to get a few extra years.

Agree or disagree?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert in 2019. Still important?

I disagree we will win a flag in 2019

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stkfc1
Club Player

Long time to crystal ball on Gilbert. It really comes down to A. Who's in the team that is a better option? B. How's his body holding up? C. Is he still on the list! Bar some career ending injury, I think he will be around unless we do some trade where he's the steak knives. (which is highly doubtful but strange things do happen!)

I see D Mac as his long term replacement. Gilbert's best attribute is his explosive speed and ability to shrug a tackle,break packs etc. If his speed is gone, then he is too unfortunately.A realistic issue as he gets older. Would love him to get an uninterrupted year next year. I believe he's one of those players that gets better the more consistently he plays. I like Gilbert and at the moment, he's definitely in our best 22.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

very underated player .. his kicking isn't as bad as what some will have you believe I actually think he is a vital cog to our team he brings that aggression and pace to the backline

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just a foot soldier. Calling him under rated is over rating him.
He won't survive until 2019.
When was his last top 10 b and f finish?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Just a foot soldier. Calling him under rated is over rating him.
some people call him our worst player yes he is under rated ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Just a foot soldier. Calling him under rated is over rating him.

I probably agree with you about lasting to 2019 but to ask a question about when was the last time he had a top 10 B&F finish when you know he has missed many games in the last 3 years is pretty tough on the guy.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

This is the umpteenth quasi-critical thread on Gilbo.

Why can't we just let him play and let Richo and the boys decide if he has a future beyond 2015.

FFS.

This forum always has to have a whipping boy. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Get off Gibo's back. The coach thinks he can play, and he's a better judge than any of us.

SMS
Club Player

Whipping boy?? I was stating how important he is to us and that being rested albiet through injury he may be there in 2019.
194cm explosive machine. Valuable. Wont just fall away cause he turns 33. Age means not as much as we think.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I believe that plugger has the statistic that proves it definitively...

What was it again?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I believe that plugger has the statistic that proves it definitively...

What was it again?

I have no idea what are talking about. Those stats which weren't mine by the way were fact. 2019 is completely guesswork. The media seemed to go with Delideo thing. You would have thought they would have looked at who they played when he missed. Im still trying to work out how we decide who was the best kick for goal. Stats are a waste of time.

Rosco
Club Player

I must have missed the posts, but the best kick for goal was plugger. That's how we decide.

elizabethr
Club Player

I have a feeling he may be moving on.

nothing to say
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Has his flaws but I like him. Happy to have him still around but he's one of those guys you should dangle in front of other clubs to see if you can get value for him, especially in the context of his solid recent form. He'd be an asset in an attacking team like Footscray or Port because they rely heavily on running power but not too much on pinpoint disposal. A pick between 30 and 40 would be pretty fair and would get another kid in the door for us.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Please share the stats with those that missed the last thread... You know the ones that proved Gilbert wins us games

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Please share the stats with those that missed the last thread... You know the ones that proved Gilbert wins us games

You do not like discussing something without lying. I feel sorry for you. I don't think there is any stats that prove any player wins games for sides. I will continue to use fact you can use fantasy. What did you think about the stats the TV stations did on Delideo when he missed? I feel very sad for you when discussing something.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

For some bizarre reason you can't discuss this without diverting the topic to something else... In this stream of discussions on Sam Gilbert you've tried to twist the topic into one about goal kicking, Tom Ledger, and now Delideo.

All i'm asking you to do is post the facts as you see them. You've gone to great lengths to express that ur right, you use facts, i use fantasy etc (though i actually haven't been claiming to present anything more than an opinion).

If i have misrepresented you i am sorry. Please share your "facts" that you have repeatedly stated you have, and end the debate

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:For some bizarre reason you can't discuss this without diverting the topic to something else... In this stream of discussions on Sam Gilbert you've tried to twist the topic into one about goal kicking, Tom Ledger, and now Delideo.

All i'm asking you to do is post the facts as you see them. You've gone to great lengths to express that ur right, you use facts, i use fantasy etc (though i actually haven't been claiming to present anything more than an opinion).

If i have misrepresented you i am sorry. Please share your "facts" that you have repeatedly stated you have, and end the debate

Interesting.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

R14 2011.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Can someone answer the following three qs?

When was the last time Gilbo got :

a) Coaches vote from Saints coach
b) Coaches vote from an Opposition coach
c) A Brownlow vote

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Can someone answer the following three qs?

c) A Brownlow vote

He got brownlow votes in round 14 and 17 this year. Apart from those 2011. Dempster got 2 in 2012 and has never had one before or since so maybe coaches votes matter but I think that proves brownlow votes don't.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

c) A Brownlow vote

He got brownlow votes in round 14 and 17 this year.
Don't go too early Con.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

c) A Brownlow vote

He got brownlow votes in round 14 and 17 this year. Apart from those 2011. Dempster got 2 in 2012 and has never had one before or since so maybe coaches votes matter but I think that proves brownlow votes don't.
This year :shock:
So Gillon Mclaughlin has given plugger66 a look at this years Brownlow Medal votes. I knew you were an 'insider' but wow you really an insider. Thats a whole new level! I assume you know who is going to win and have bet on it already then?

Sam Gilbert hasnt had a single top 10 finish in the Saints B& F since 2010. Don't tell me the Club B&F doesn't count as well?????

Sean Dempster - B&F Finishes
2012 - 3rd - 112 votes
2013 - 7th
2014 - 3rd - 101 Votes

So go on - compare Gilbert to Dempster. Theres a good little boy. Dempster has two TOP 3 FINISHES and a TOP 10 in the last 3 years. Seriously.

So Gilbert - no top 10 finishes in the B & F.
No good games according to Inside Footy.
http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... am-GILBERT
But somehow you claim you know best?
Seriously f*cking deluded individual. Get a Grip.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

c) A Brownlow vote

This year :shock:
So Gillon Mclaughlin has given plugger66 a look at this years Brownlow Medal votes. I knew you were an 'insider' but wow you really an insider. Thats a whole new level! I assume you know who is going to win and have bet on it already then?

Sam Gilbert hasnt had a single top 10 finish in the Saints B& F since 2010. Don't tell me the Club B&F doesn't count as well?????

Sean Dempster - B&F Finishes
2012 - 3rd - 112 votes
2013 - 7th
2014 - 3rd - 101 Votes

So go on - compare Gilbert to Dempster. Theres a good little boy. Dempster has two TOP 3 FINISHES and a TOP 10 in the last 3 years. Seriously.

So Gilbert - no top 10 finishes in the B & F.
No good games according to Inside Footy.
http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... am-GILBERT
But somehow you claim you know best?
Seriously f*cking deluded individual. Get a Grip.

Such an angry response Con from a post that was a bit of humour. And why get personal as normal. As if I know the brownlow votes. Its called humour. You realise humour is very important to your health but it seems you missed out on the humour gene. Pity. And if you read what I said I actually said the coaches votes count but just don't use the brownlow and I gave an example as to why. That doesn't mean I am at comparing Dempster to Gilbert. Surely it isn't that hard to understand. Dempster has been much better than about 40 players on the list in the last 3 years let alone an injured Gilbert. However Con if you continue to use B&F as an example I think you should also tell those that are reading this that Gilbert has been injured the last 3 years and as such has no hope of finishing in the top 10 in the B&F for the last 3 years.

And what do I claim I know best at? Please explain that. This started because of a simple comment that I still believe Gilbert is important to us next season. That is my opinion. You don't agree. Well good for you. I don't agree with you. That's surely ok. Seriously f****** deluded individual because I still think he is important. Are you even slightly serious? I certainly know who needs to get a grip after reading your response. And on this actually topic I agreed with you but you probably forgotten that or chose not to read it.