HARLEY BENNELL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Re: HARLEY BENNELL

Love the Harley. He's a gun and will get even better.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Bennell would be a great fit, 2nd round pick + Gilbert or Geary

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Bennell would be a great fit, 2nd round pick + Gilbert or Geary

That's gets his legs but we also need the rest of him. It would cost our first rounder and it would be worth it for sure. He is 22 years of age. Yep he used drugs but we know there are about 30 positive tests a year for that and probably many more that aren't picked up. The problem is someone took a picture. He is a certain A grade player. Not many top 10 picks are certain A grade players. It would be great to get him for a second rounder but we wouldn't have a player that would interest GC unless we gave them one of our very good young players. Defeats the purpose. I would do it in a heartbeat.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Yeah first rounder for Bennel or its not happening. The players they would want we wont trade and the ones we would they wouldnt want.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yes please

SMS
Club Player

Harley is a GUN!!!
We need exactly his playing style.

I think that saga straightemed him up he has great family and is ready to mature. Im sure hed want change and the saints need him. Send em dunstan. Dunstan is great, but we have ross and curren who will do the job of inside mid backing up armo steven. We already have too many and while I want dunstan his name alone will get this trade done.
Balance people.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Bennell the footballer; Yes Please

Bennell the character ?????????????

!!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintbob
SS Life Member

SMS wrote:Harley is a GUN!!!

I think that saga straightemed him up he has great family and is ready to mature. Im sure hed want change and the saints need him. Send em dunstan. Dunstan is great, but we have ross and curren who will do the job of inside mid backing up armo steven. We already have too many and while I want dunstan his name alone will get this trade done.
Balance people.
Yeah, that wouldn't bother me to much.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

They will demand pick 5/6 plus more, a player, or another pick.
And no, they won't take a dud player, so why even throw names up like Ross

Bring back the Lockett era
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Balance people.

Are you saying Dunstan alone would get it done? Not a hope. Would maybe still take our first rounder.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Balance people.
If we are relying on Ross and Curren to play in our midfield then at least we will have plenty of high end picks in the next 5 years. Dunstan is a leader, tough as nails and 19, the other two are vfl footballers

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

For us to have any chance of securing him we would need him to name us as his preferred destination, gives us a little bit more bargaining power... His contract status is still an issue however.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

The kid is a jet! Don't think I'd give our first pick for him unless it came back with Bennell plus a pick or player but he is absolutely what we need.

Re the coke or speed or whatever it was he was doing...don't kid yourselves guys that stuff is rife in the afl. Absolute everywhere in the offseason. He was unlucky. Not saying he shouldn't be given the right mentoring and guidance as a young bloke but honestly ask anyone near enough to afl footy and they will tell you just how common place this stuff is. Doesn't make him an addict and certainly doesn't make him a bad person. Actually makes him quite a normal 22 year old with a bit of splash. That's just life these days.

Anyway hopefully the offield stuff gives us bargaining power cos I'd love to see this guy in a saints jumper

#1 Ryder fan
gringo
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:The kid is a jet! Don't think I'd give our first pick for him unless it came back with Bennell plus a pick or player but he is absolutely what we need.

Re the coke or speed or whatever it was he was doing...don't kid yourselves guys that stuff is rife in the afl. Absolute everywhere in the offseason. He was unlucky. Not saying he shouldn't be given the right mentoring and guidance as a young bloke but honestly ask anyone near enough to afl footy and they will tell you just how common place this stuff is. Doesn't make him an addict and certainly doesn't make him a bad person. Actually makes him quite a normal 22 year old with a bit of splash. That's just life these days.

Anyway hopefully the offield stuff gives us bargaining power cos I'd love to see this guy in a saints jumper

Apparently the pics are about 4 years old. I think you are right about the coke in AFL. I have heard so many people saying it it must have some truth.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:Is this the Ben Cousins argument all over again?
(We dodged a bullet there).
Cousins was what 30 years old when he joined Richmond and was suffering from serious drug addiction. Bennell is 22 years old and got snapped taking party drugs. The parallels do not run very deep whatsoever.

(FWIW we probably would have snagged a flag if we picked up Cousins too.)

Party drugs????????????

That's what we're calling cocaine now? Not illicit substances imported by criminal gangs. Drugs that have destroyed lives the world over. Nah, let's pretend they're harmless party appetizers that ppl snort just for a 'pick me up' INterestingly, ppl may say Cousins had a 'serious drug addiction' but he started off just using party drugs, and became a serious drug addict shortly after.

Cousins was NEVER the answer to us winning a flag, and with his dodgy hammy's and wayward lifestyle we would have been in all sorts if he had of come to the club. I am happy for the club to give Bennell a chance, but we'd want to VERY confident of the leadership structures we have in place.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:The kid is a jet! Don't think I'd give our first pick for him unless it came back with Bennell plus a pick or player but he is absolutely what we need.

Apparently the pics are about 4 years old. I think you are right about the coke in AFL. I have heard so many people saying it it must have some truth.
Dale Lewis's percentages still hold true. Players that are seen as the hardest workers in the comp let there hair down in the off season also,it's not just a group of undisciplined players

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
gringo wrote:

Dale Lewis's percentages still hold true. Players that are seen as the hardest workers in the comp let there hair down in the off season also,it's not just a group of undisciplined players

What proof is there to say that though. Because we know players use you have decided 33 of our players use drugs in the off season. Anyway it would be great to get Bennell.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Had a bit to do with our players over the years,no not so much the last 3-4 years, but your head would have to be in the sand to think that it's changed in end of season trips. It's everywhere

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Had a bit to do with our players over the years,no not so much the last 3-4 years, but your head would have to be in the sand to think that it's changed in end of season trips. It's everywhere

It maybe everywhere but that doesn't mean 75% of players use drugs in the off season. That is even more than the general public. When people quote those figures you need some sort of proof and there isn't any to suggest its that high. Which 11 players wouldn't use at the saints. Easier than naming the 33 who use.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Teflon wrote:I too think we should've taken cousins but let's not go there again for gods sake
Cousins was old, slow and injured (his hammies were terrible) at that stage and also probably a drug addict.
Just a ridiculous comparison imo.
If we cant get this kid on track - we dont deserve to win a flag. We arent going to win one if we play it safe on every single decision.
We will need to take some calculated risks.

But yeah - look we didnt need much to win that flag. Cousins may have been enough to get us there.
"probably a drug addict"? What the. Of course he was a drug addict and had been for years. .He was still a good footballer though.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
jonesy wrote:Had a bit to do with our players over the years,no not so much the last 3-4 years, but your head would have to be in the sand to think that it's changed in end of season trips. It's everywhere

It maybe everywhere but that doesn't mean 75% of players use drugs in the off season. That is even more than the general public. When people quote those figures you need some sort of proof and there isn't any to suggest its that high. Which 11 players wouldn't use at the saints. Easier than naming the 33 who use.
In this day and age you would hope not, but have things changed in 4 years, I am skeptical. It's more than the general public because they have more cash, it go's with the game, and they see having a bender on coke is far better for the wasteline and recovery than sinking a dozen stubbies

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
FQF wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:Is this the Ben Cousins argument all over again?
(We dodged a bullet there).
Cousins was what 30 years old when he joined Richmond and was suffering from serious drug addiction. Bennell is 22 years old and got snapped taking party drugs. The parallels do not run very deep whatsoever.

(FWIW we probably would have snagged a flag if we picked up Cousins too.)

Party drugs????????????

That's what we're calling cocaine now? Not illicit substances imported by criminal gangs. Drugs that have destroyed lives the world over. Nah, let's pretend they're harmless party appetizers that ppl snort just for a 'pick me up' INterestingly, ppl may say Cousins had a 'serious drug addiction' but he started off just using party drugs, and became a serious drug addict shortly after.

Cousins was NEVER the answer to us winning a flag, and with his dodgy hammy's and wayward lifestyle we would have been in all sorts if he had of come to the club. I am happy for the club to give Bennell a chance, but we'd want to VERY confident of the leadership structures we have in place.
Exactly. You sum it up better than I ever could.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

In this day and age you would hope not, but have things changed in 4 years, I am skeptical. It's more than the general public because they have more cash, it go's with the game, and they see having a bender on coke is far better for the wasteline and recovery than sinking a dozen stubbies

I still don't see how you have proved the figures are that high. What has 4 years ago got to do with the figure being 75%. And remember you are saying the off season so the waistline isn't quite as important. Who do you reckon are the 11 saints players who don't use drugs in the off season?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

In terms of a trade? I reckon at minimum a second rounder and a top 18 player. Someone like Webster, Dunstan, Sinclair, Ross - basically, not cheap.
--------------------------------------------
Sorry I'd rather we keep the players above than trade them for Bennell. They're all going to be very good footballer players without the issues.
Once a party boy always a party boy.
Last edited by magnifisaint on Fri 14 Aug 2015 10:46am, edited 1 time in total.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
jonesy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I still don't see how you have proved the figures are that high. What has 4 years ago got to do with the figure being 75%. And remember you are saying the off season so the waistline isn't quite as important. Who do you reckon are the 11 saints players who don't use drugs in the off season?
Why would I name players, you're smarter than that...
It doesn't have to be 75% across every club, some I am sure are lower,some I am sure were higher. You would hope we are at the lower end these days, we certainly weren't under Thomas and Lyon

I have seen what I have seen