Positives against the Barry Crockers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Positives against the Barry Crockers

Take away the 1st Quarter and take into account some of the absolute shocking kicking at goal early and we actually have a game.....but would prefer the cheese grater.

Hickey..Goddard.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Positives against the Barry Crockers

First quarter was woeful. Worst quarter for the year. Second quarter we had enough ball to actuallu gain ground but lost the quarter by 4 goals. I suppose the positive is more games into the young kids. Though Hickey got a bit of the ball but of course was smashed in the hit outs.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Yep poor first quarter but really impressed by the spirit and work effort.
Last 3 minutes we cracked in like it was a final....good work boys. Acres and Hickey showed a bit today

Nee!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:First quarter was woeful. Worst quarter for the year. Second quarter we had enough ball to actuallu gain ground but lost the quarter by 4 goals. I suppose the positive is more games into the young kids. Though Hickey got a bit of the ball but of course was smashed in the hit outs.
Hickeys work around the grd was heartening..tutored in the art of the hit out and we have our man.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Hickey a positive along with Acres and Goddard and Paddy's goal.

Sinclair more and more impressive.

The umpiring was shite, though it wouldn't have affected the result. Some really embarrassing howlers in there

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Hickey a positive along with Acres and Goddard and Paddy's goal.

Sinclair more and more impressive.

The umpiring was shite, though it wouldn't have affected the result. Some really embarrassing howlers in there
I'm of the mindset that crap umpiring against us may make us stronger...was clearly poor but i'm over them giving me ulcers.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Positive is that Freo left a bit in the tank so they can beat WCE next week and help the Hawks into 2nd spot.

Otherwise they killed us. If they played properly it would've been a 100 point loss. Our injuries in the 1st term also killed us.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
sasaint
Club Player

Should be no more doubters on Acres. Goddard impressive. Sinclair just shining. Extend contract now. Roberton impressive. Team played the game out with every reason to drop their heads. A few pressing from Sandy so should see a few more come in and let some of the sore heads recover for a week or two. :D

Patience young grasshopper
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The way we ran the game out - Freo might have stopped a bit but we still cracked in as if the game was up for grabs - which a great habit to get into

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Don't agree at all that the first quarter was our worst quarter of the year. On the scoreboard, yes, but considering the opposition and how well they played I thought we had a crack for most of it. Was just completely outplayed, and kicked terribly.

Was really proud that the boys neevr threw the towel in tonight. Was obvious that Freo had turned up ready to play, but to see the boys crack in right till the final siren - literally, was fantastic. Remember we were virtually down to 18 men in the last quarter and still easily won the quarter.

Roo's kicking was appalling - not sure what was going on there. Apart from that I thought that the Dockers were just much cleaner in the fwd 50, but in general play around the ground I thought we matched them. Not sure if the stats bear that out or not. I thought that Dempster Goddard and Fisher really knuckled down after quarter time and all beat their opponents. Hickey battled away manfully in the ruck and only confirmed to me that he's a far better option than Longer. Paddy needs to hold those marks, and Bruce kicking 50 goals for the year is a great effort in a bottom team. Overall I was quite pleased with the effort - maybe the last quarter has got me viewing the game through rose coloured glasses

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I wanted us to be competitive and go down by less than 50 points, plus try Hickey again in the ruck and I got all three of those today. No complaints.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I thought Hickster went pretty well against Sandy. He was always going to win the hit outs, he made himself valuable.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The first quarter was easily our worst for the year.
Our effort in that quarter was poor, they made us look really slow and we did not chase hard at all.
They must have had 5 or 6 barely contested marks in their forward fifty and their players seemed to be able to get separation with ease.
The effort lifted considerably after quarter time and I thought we played OK for the rest of the game.
Hickey was good in the second half but in the first half had his arse handed to him on a platter.
Let's not kid ourselves Freo slaughtered us but took the foot off the throat at half time.

The positives to me were the performances of Goddard, McCartin and especially Acres.
Newnes, Steven, Weller and Roberton continue to put in good solid shifts.
Oh and Joey was just a warrior all day and was our best player but a country mile.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:The first quarter was easily our worst for the year.
Our effort in that quarter was poor, they made us look really slow and we did not chase hard at all.
They must have had 5 or 6 barely contested marks in their forward fifty and their players seemed to be able to get separation with ease.
The effort lifted considerably after quarter time and I thought we played OK for the rest of the game.
Hickey was good in the second half but in the first half had his arse handed to him on a platter.
Let's not kid ourselves Freo slaughtered us but took the foot off the throat at half time.

The positives to me were the performances of Goddard, McCartin and especially Acres.
Oh and Joey was just a warrior all day and was our best player but a country mile.
I really hope these three make it but gee they are slow. I would like 8cres to have a bit more urgency to his play but only 14 possessions when you know you're not going to get subbed off was not the best. And I'm not sure if 7 possies in the last quarter was good (because he was good with 7 possies) or bad (as he only had about 7 to 3/4 time).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

As Lyon said in his presser - they came, did the job early had a few sore late and didnt attack as much at the end (aka foot off gas...)
Dont over hype the last we are a long way off.
Need talent in ASAP.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Positive is that Freo left a bit in the tank so they can beat WCE next week and help the Hawks into 2nd spot.

Otherwise they killed us. If they played properly it would've been a 100 point loss. Our injuries in the 1st term also killed us.
There is a school of thought that Freo should tank next week.
The theory is if Freo & WCE can go 1-2 then the Hawks are forced to travel to Perth in week 1 to play the WCE.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

For me the positive about acres was for the first time I saw him play with some confidence and instinct.
Early in the game he took a couple of marks and then seemingly second guessed his natural instinct / first option, stalled and then in the end duffed the kick and turned it over.
Later in the game he started playing with a bit more confidence and his skill and time with the ball really started to show

Hickey was also a positive (even tho I am a bit of a billy fan) and paddy continues to show he will be a valuable key forward for us...just growing every day.

Newnes had one of his better games for the season and showed he can be extremely damaging by foot.

Poor goal kicking obviously really hurt us but hey guess what we are playing the number 1 team in the league (undisputiable if you consider the ladder)!!

#1 Ryder fan
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:As Lyon said in his presser - they came, did the job early had a few sore late and didnt attack as much at the end (aka foot off gas...)
Dont over hype the last we are a long way off.
Need talent in ASAP.

Certainly do. That side is a good 8 players short of being a finals side. maybe even more. Must get the next 2 drafts right. We will have a minimum of 2 first rounders but many more after that. Vital we get most picks right because first rounders give us only 2 players and that wont help in the long run.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The first quarter was a shocker, but we worked hard to get back into it. I thought that Freo had maybe put the cue in the rack. Then driving home I heard on the radio that Lyon had the Freo players locked away for a long time after the game. Obviously Ross didn't find his team's performance to be 'pleasing'.

It was good to hear Stan Alves' & Lenny's comments on ABC radio. Lenny was quite chipper, his view was that we had shown some real character. I loved a comment from Stan Alves: "These young St Kilda players have a lot of spark in the rib cage".

If we weren't so wasteful by foot, we would have run them close. No a bad effort, because Freo along with Hawthorn are the only real Premiership contenders.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

goddard

spert
Saintsational Legend

We got a good one in Goddard, and Sinclair will keep getting better, as will Lonie- a pity he got injured. Freo put the cue in the rack in the last quarter, and it didn't mean much in the end. The midfield is playing B grade footy, and we need the recruiters to pick up real class in that area, though I think Richo still needs to work on his setups at centre bounces.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:The first quarter was easily our worst for the year.

I really hope these three make it but gee they are slow. I would like 8cres to have a bit more urgency to his play but only 14 possessions when you know you're not going to get subbed off was not the best. And I'm not sure if 7 possies in the last quarter was good (because he was good with 7 possies) or bad (as he only had about 7 to 3/4 time).
I don't think Goddard is slow in fact a couple of times in the second half I thought he showed really good closing speed to affect a good spoil.
McCartin is not quick but does read the play well and seems to know where to run to. He looks like a natural footballer and a good target as a Full Forward.
With his big body he will be a difficult match up for a lot of teams in a few years time.
Acres is interesting he looks like he moves slowly when he has the ball but that was when he was second guessing himself.
In the last quarter he seemed to trust his instincts more and looked quicker with the ball and subsequently across the ground.
That last quarter I saw a little of the Dal Santos in him in that he seemed to have a little more time than most others to use it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Don't agree at all that the first quarter was our worst quarter of the year. On the scoreboard, yes, but considering the opposition and how well they played I thought we had a crack for most of it. Was just completely outplayed, and kicked terribly.

Was really proud that the boys neevr threw the towel in tonight. Was obvious that Freo had turned up ready to play, but to see the boys crack in right till the final siren - literally, was fantastic. Remember we were virtually down to 18 men in the last quarter and still easily won the quarter.

Roo's kicking was appalling - not sure what was going on there. Apart from that I thought that the Dockers were just much cleaner in the fwd 50, but in general play around the ground I thought we matched them. Not sure if the stats bear that out or not. I thought that Dempster Goddard and Fisher really knuckled down after quarter time and all beat their opponents. Hickey battled away manfully in the ruck and only confirmed to me that he's a far better option than Longer. Paddy needs to hold those marks, and Bruce kicking 50 goals for the year is a great effort in a bottom team. Overall I was quite pleased with the effort - maybe the last quarter has got me viewing the game through rose coloured glasses
Roo looked as though he was kicking with a dead leg. Might have had a jab in the calf.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Moods wrote:Don't agree at all that the first quarter was our worst quarter of the year. On the scoreboard, yes, but considering the opposition and how well they played I thought we had a crack for most of it. Was just completely outplayed, and kicked terribly.

Roo looked as though he was kicking with a dead leg. Might have had a jab in the calf.

Why would you jab a muscle injury?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Positive is that Freo left a bit in the tank so they can beat WCE next week and help the Hawks into 2nd spot.

There is a school of thought that Freo should tank next week.
The theory is if Freo & WCE can go 1-2 then the Hawks are forced to travel to Perth in week 1 to play the WCE.
If Freo are worried enough about the Hawks that they'd throw a game when they need to be finetuning for the flag they have already lost it. I think all they care about is their own home final, not where anyone else plays.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "