Bailey Rice Playing for Northern Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bailey Rice Playing for Northern Blues

bergholt wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:I would say Tullamarine is a lot more accessible to the city than Seaford.
Not sure about that. Try getting there during peak traffic
Why would a player be driving to either Seaford or Tulla between 4pm and 7pm?
Try 7am to 9am

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
bergholt wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:I would say Tullamarine is a lot more accessible to the city than Seaford.
Try 7am to 9am
I don't drive to work - is that really peak hour on the way out to Seaford or Tulla? Surely it's peak hour the other way?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
bergholt wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Try 7am to 9am
I don't drive to work - is that really peak hour on the way out to Seaford or Tulla? Surely it's peak hour the other way?
still hard to get to the airport. Not sure about Seaford. Probably a breeze

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

bergholt wrote: If you were any soon to be 18 year old, would you prefer to live in Frankston or Fitzroy? Would you prefer to be walking distance from the city on a Friday night or a 15 minute drive from the 21st Century? It's a no brainer from that point of view.
Does 21st Century Dance Club still have the revolving dancefloor? That's an important factor in the above equation for mine...

And shouldn't they call it 22nd Century Dance Club now if they want to maintain the futuristic mystique?

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Not sure the 21st Century Dance Club still exists, but I haven't checked since 1984.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I think we are just disappointed Rice chose Carlton over us.
Whoa Whoa hold your horses big fella!!

Since when has Rice chosen Carlton over us??

Northern Blues have offered him a chance to play in a game with them (playing in a higher level league than the TAC Cup) and he accepted like any sane U18 up & comer would do with the draft in sight

So again where did Rice say that he has chosen Carlton??
plugger66 wrote: I reckon he is a third rounder so I couldn't give a stuff.
So 3rd rounders arent even worth thinking about??

Tell that to Montagna, Steven and Lonie

Rice has been in Dandenong Stingrays best 5 times this year and has had a couple of storming games - Stingrays also currently sit 2nd on the ladder

If he turns out anything like his father then he will be a great player - chances are that he will

And he just might well end up choosing us!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Upset about this, most devastating news since Tommy Walsh left!

stjay
Club Player

One out the archive.

stjay wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Teflon wrote:
CURLY wrote:Rice will nominate StKilda take that as fact.

cmon curly out with it........big call im going to book mark this one...
As close as you'll get to the man himself saying it. Bookmark it now.
Wow, that's a big call! Duly noted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:

Northern Blues have offered him a chance to play in a game with them (playing in a higher level league than the TAC Cup) and he accepted like any sane U18 up & comer would do with the draft in sight

Rice has been in Dandenong Stingrays best 5 times this year and has had a couple of storming games - Stingrays also currently sit 2nd on the ladder

If he turns out anything like his father then he will be a great player - chances are that he will

He chose Carlton by saying yes when he could have said lets just cool our jets and im not going to bother giving you all the failures at a third round. The fascination with any connection to do with the Saints surprises or amazes me. Im happy to let the recruiters do their job and if its a choice between a father son or a player 1% better I hope they always go with the 1% better. I have no emotion to any player all apart from the better player.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

He chose Carlton by saying yes when he could have said lets just cool our jets and im not going to bother giving you all the failures at a third round. The fascination with any connection to do with the Saints surprises or amazes me. Im happy to let the recruiters do their job and if its a choice between a father son or a player 1% better I hope they always go with the 1% better. I have no emotion to any player all apart from the better player.
Agreed.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:APS school footy finished last weekend, meaning that Rice (& others) would be free to return to their TAC Cup side or play VFL. Interesting that they chose Rice and not Silvagni to play VFL. I'm thinking it's a massive NON STORY written by very lazy journos !!

I don't see how its a non story. It would suggest he is picking Carlton and people have been asking who he will pick.

On the contrary, maybe Carlton is going the extra mile to ensure he picks them as he may be undecided at the moment and this might sway his vote. He is the only one that has a choice as Silvagni and Bradley only played for carltank.

Carlton picked him to play but he had to say yes first. Anyway I can honestly say I don't care where he plays.
True but he would be silly to turn up the offer regardless.
Anyway I'm more interested in getting gun midfielders with elite kicking skills.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Why would Bailey turn down the offer to play with Carlton's VFL side. It means nothing other than Carlton want to have a good look at him. If they had already agreed to draft him it's more likely they would be hiding him to keep his price down.

And I'm with you R L . Half Back flankers grow on trees, good mids don't.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 06 Aug 2015 11:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Why would Bailey turn down the offer to play with Carlton's VFL side. It means nothing other than Carlton want to have a good look at him. If they had already agreed to draft him it's more likely they would be hiding him to keep his price down.

Its called loyalty if you think you will play with the other side. Something that lawyers no little about.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:Why would Bailey turn down the offer to play with Carlton's VFL side. It means nothing other than Carlton want to have a good look at him. If they had already agreed to draft him it's more likely they would be hiding him to keep his price down.

Its called loyalty if you think you will play with the other side. Something that lawyers no little about.
Northern Blues have offered him a spot as (like Port did for Sinclair) and Rice has said thanks - it is what it is ... a great opportunity for him

He will play for the Northern Blues and he will soak up the experience of playing against older and harder bodies and then he will weigh up his options on who his preferred destination is thats if he hasnt done so already - Blues obviously like him and are trying to sway his decision BUT it doesnt mean he is going to sign for Carlton

At the moment it only seems like a handful of VFL clubs have offered U18 players a game this weekend and don't think that Sandringham is one

We can ask questions - why didnt Sandringham offer him a 23rd spot? Does St Kilda have a say? Have Sandringham ever offered a U18 player a 23rd spot?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Northern Blues have offered him a spot as (like Port did for Sinclair) and Rice has said thanks - it is what it is ... a great opportunity for him

He will play for the Northern Blues and he will soak up the experience of playing against older and harder bodies and then he will weigh up his options on who his preferred destination is thats if he hasnt done so already - Blues obviously like him and are trying to sway his decision BUT it doesnt mean he is going to sign for Carlton

At the moment it only seems like a handful of VFL clubs have offered U18 players a game this weekend and don't think that Sandringham is one

We can ask questions - why didnt Sandringham offer him a 23rd spot? Does St Kilda have a say? Have Sandringham ever offered a U18 player a 23rd spot?

Sandy have a 23rd player a lot of weeks. I think there is one in this week in the BP. They have for years. Mitch Brown brother was 23rd man as many times as you are allowed a few years ago. I still think if he had decided the Saints he would have said no.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

How strong are Northern Blues compared to Sandringham? Would Rice get a game for Sandringham? How long are the respective injury lists for St Kilda & Carlton? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:How strong are Northern Blues compared to Sandringham? Would Rice get a game for Sandringham? How long are the respective injury lists for St Kilda & Carlton? !!

The 23rd man isn't normally picked like that. There are plenty of times I have watched Sandy and the 23rd man isn't really up to it. They play for experience and in the hope they will come to their club the following year. Obviously the last part isn't relevant to Rice.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:How strong are Northern Blues compared to Sandringham? Would Rice get a game for Sandringham? How long are the respective injury lists for St Kilda & Carlton? !!

The 23rd man isn't normally picked like that. There are plenty of times I have watched Sandy and the 23rd man isn't really up to it. They play for experience and in the hope they will come to their club the following year. Obviously the last part isn't relevant to Rice.
Are there any restrictions on the 23rd man? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Are there any restrictions on the 23rd man? !!

Only guessing but I think they must be from the under 18 comp and I think they can only play 4 games in the season. Im not sure if they can swap sides but logic suggests no.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I don't think bailey will be playing for the northern Blues after the Saints stepped in and pointed out that Bailey was zoned to Frankston and that's where he should be playing. According to the saints "rules is rules, stick to 'em."

Anyway Keenan reckons the saints are odds on to snare him since the blues axed his dad.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:I don't think bailey will be playing for the northern Blues after the Saints stepped in and pointed out that Bailey was zoned to Frankston and that's where he should be playing. According to the saints "rules is rules, stick to 'em."

Anyway Keenan reckons the saints are odds on to snare him since the blues axed his dad.

Well that last line is nearly the silliest thing keenan has said and he has a lot to beat. Also I hope the club didn't do that. Why would we bother?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

His dad still saying us.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:His dad still saying us.
So's Crackers.

Keenan's little article's headline was "Rice has rivals steamed up", which is kind of funny.

He goes on to state that he heard that the hair of St Kilda officials stood on end when Carlton " suggested helpfully"
that Bailey could fill the 23rd man position at the Northern Blues. They put the kibosh on the idea.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

It seems Crackers got it wrong. He's playing on Channel 7. Not that I think it means anything about who he nominates.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:It seems Crackers got it wrong. He's playing on Channel 7. Not that I think it means anything about who he nominates.
Surprising.