Lonie & Sinclair

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Lonie & Sinclair

I'm frequently getting these two mixed up, they look similar, and play a similar game.

Can anybody point out any distinguishing features, or different skill sets.

Which is the better player?

Rosco
Club Player

Re: Lonie & Sinclair

Lonie is almost blonde and has a giant head.

Sinclair does not.

I think Sinclair is the better player.

Sinc left, Lonie right.

saint-stu
Club Player

They look completely different to me, but there are many other similarities. Both smallish, play mid/forward, have good skills, kick goals, are called Jack and were drafted this year by us.

If I had to choose one it would be really tough! I was going to say Sinclair, but looking at the average stats I'm still not sure. The even sit next to each other in the stats table (ordered by total disposals for the year).

Lonie has slightly more av disposals: 12.1 vs 11.7
More tackles: 3.1 vs 2.6

Sinclair averages more goals 1.1 vs 0.7

The most noticable stat difference is the kick/handball ratio. Lonie kicks more 7.5/4.7 and Pins handballs more 5.3/6.3.

In games, my observation is that Lonie does more flashy things.

1ac46a38
Rosco
Club Player

Sinclair has 3 games with 35% game time or less. Lonie has 1 (knocked out?).

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair seems to make better decisions and is cleaner in traffic. I can see him becoming a mid before Lonie.

I am convinced they will both play 150+ games for us but I see Sinclair having more upside.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:They look completely different to me, but there are many other similarities. Both smallish, play mid/forward, have good skills, kick goals, are called Jack and were drafted this year by us.

If I had to choose one it would be really tough! I was going to say Sinclair, but looking at the average stats I'm still not sure. The even sit next to each other in the stats table (ordered by total disposals for the year).

Lonie has slightly more av disposals: 12.1 vs 11.7
More tackles: 3.1 vs 2.6

Sinclair averages more goals 1.1 vs 0.7

The most noticable stat difference is the kick/handball ratio. Lonie kicks more 7.5/4.7 and Pins handballs more 5.3/6.3.

In games, my observation is that Lonie does more flashy things.
Lonies pressure acts would be the best I have seen in a first year player. His efforts to hold the ball in the forward line are incredible

mickey
Club Player

Well it's quite simple..... Lonie is a passionate, freaky, Milney type 'who loves winning', Sinclair oozes class, confidence & arrogance like Stevie J 'who loves winning'.

This club is my life & I still can't understand why I haven't seen a flag & I'm 46, I've had to move to SA (not my fault) & going to the footy here is creepy weird (even though the Adelaide Oval is a good complex) because they never grew up at Moorabbin or in the VFL (so plastic).

My kids amaze me because they "really" love the Saints & tell me off when I'm negative..... what's my point - they love these new guys & they love Roo.

I'm a bit emotional tonight because when I had to move to SA as an orphan at 11 my favourite player was T Barker so I barracked for Sturt because Peter Motley reminded me of him & I had his poster on my wall... I'm at my sons footy club tonight & Motley's son plays there. My daughter is practising her gymnastics (the splits) & he came up to me & said "she's doing well, my daughter is over there being taught by that older girl." Nobody famous has ever made an effort for me like that, it blew me away.

I read all your posts & don't say much but I have loved this year, when we had all the number 1 drafts etc all true Sainters really know that everything that could go wrong did & I was a frustrated man ... not anymore because the fun is coming.

Fotius Quo Fidelius !

matrix
Saintsational Legend

how on earth you get these two mixed up is beyond me
one is blond and short with the other one being medium and darker hair

the real dead give away is the diff numbers

:)

sasaint
Club Player

mickey wrote:Well it's quite simple..... Lonie is a passionate, freaky, Milney type 'who loves winning', Sinclair oozes class, confidence & arrogance like Stevie J 'who loves winning'.

This club is my life & I still can't understand why I haven't seen a flag & I'm 46, I've had to move to SA (not my fault) & going to the footy here is creepy weird (even though the Adelaide Oval is a good complex) because they never grew up at Moorabbin or in the VFL (so plastic).

My kids amaze me because they "really" love the Saints & tell me off when I'm negative..... what's my point - they love these new guys & they love Roo.

I'm a bit emotional tonight because when I had to move to SA as an orphan at 11 my favourite player was T Barker so I barracked for Sturt because Peter Motley reminded me of him & I had his poster on my wall... I'm at my sons footy club tonight & Motley's son plays there. My daughter is practising her gymnastics (the splits) & he came up to me & said "she's doing well, my daughter is over there being taught by that older girl." Nobody famous has ever made an effort for me like that, it blew me away.

I read all your posts & don't say much but I have loved this year, when we had all the number 1 drafts etc all true Sainters really know that everything that could go wrong did & I was a frustrated man ... not anymore because the fun is coming.

Fotius Quo Fidelius !
Great post :!:

Patience young grasshopper
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Lonie is the left footer.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Jack Lonie is like a mossie that hangs around the patio when the barbie is on. Until he finishes off with a nasty bite

Jack Sinclair is the artful dodger, Jack-the-lad type who gives you a cheeky grin, kicks a sweet goal. Then while you're applauding he sneaks back and nicks ya wallet. But when caught, he's so appealing, you merely high five and send him on his way

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Like to see Lonie nail a few more of his shots on goal. He has missed some very getable goals so far. Will be a great player if he can improve on that.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saint wagga
Club Player

I think Lonie has had a much bigger impact on our performances this year. His forward pressure and pressure acts and repeat pressure are unbelievable. He shows enourmous stamina in those repeat efforts. If not for some wayward set shot kicking, would have kicked a handful more goals. I'm still not sold on SInclair being future A grade material (would love to be proven wrong of course)...recruiting is so thorough these days, there must have been some reasons he was overlooked by all other clubs including our own up to 4 times?!?!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i agree with Wagga's comments - Lonie comfortably for me on what i've seen thus far. Still very happy with Sinclair however.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Barometer
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote:I think Lonie has had a much bigger impact on our performances this year. His forward pressure and pressure acts and repeat pressure are unbelievable. He shows enourmous stamina in those repeat efforts. If not for some wayward set shot kicking, would have kicked a handful more goals. I'm still not sold on SInclair being future A grade material (would love to be proven wrong of course)...recruiting is so thorough these days, there must have been some reasons he was overlooked by all other clubs including our own up to 4 times?!?!
re Sinclair I think part of the reason he was overlooked is because he was focusing on cricket in his later school years. For someone who has not fully been in the football system I think he shows a lot of promise we might just have to be a bit more patient.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Two different kinds of players, both have great ball sense, but I think Sinclair is better in congested play and has good smarts, and Lonie plays the crumbing role in the forward line really well and has a good defensive side which is must for a small forward. Sinclair probably needs to improve his defensive game, but both players will just get better and better.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair looks like a 150 game pro....has a real clinical air to him.
When he develops his body and endurance he will be an A-grader

Like Lonie alot too, but Sinclair just means business

Nee!
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Sinclair kicks straight.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Last year more than a few thought Eli was going to be a star. Still might, but the doubters have moved in.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

stevie wrote:Jack Sinclair is the artful dodger, Jack-the-lad type who gives you a cheeky grin, kicks a sweet goal. Then while you're applauding he sneaks back and nicks ya wallet. But when caught, he's so appealing, you merely high five and send him on his way

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I'm impressed with how clean Sinclair is. Sometimes when players are on the bottom of the packs clean hands can get missed, but he is a beauty. He also seems to kick his goals with ease.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

consider yourself part of the family.....

Nee!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

True story Bro.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
spiral3
Club Player

great post Mickey, great Saints passion!!

Really impressed by these two Jacks this year, though in the Sinclair camp at the moment.
Was a little bit concerned with his disposal/decision making after seeing some preseason vision but that was not apparent once he got to the ones.
He's a solid unit, really great balance, lateral agility in packs is outstanding. Very slippery in close, a bit like the great Robert.
Neat skills, creative and his finishing from general play is excellent. Seems to have decent pace and good hunger for the contest.

Lonie's effort and attack is outstanding. Skills can be sublime (one inside 50 kick was unbelievable - can't recall the game).
Goal kicking accuracy has been a disappointment given his level of kicking skill.
Little bit worried about his size and whether that will limit his impact down the track.
Gutsy player though - maybe too much so!

If Jack B can get his body 100% we'll have some very lively and creative small mid/fwds

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Sinclair has legs like Lethal Leigh. Not that I've noticed mind you.