Gay Pride Match

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Freebird
Club Player

Re: Gay Pride Match

My best friend is maori so don't come the racist bs to me....Its too deep for you kp83.

You tell me kp83 - who are we allowed to boo and who are we not and don't forget to put your reasoning to it.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Freebird wrote:My best friend is maori so don't come the racist bs to me....Its too deep for you kp83.

You tell me kp83 - who are we allowed to boo and who are we not and don't forget to put your reasoning to it.
There's a whole thread for this already re Adam Goodes.
Go and post your "I know a non white person so I'm not a racist" dribble in there.

This thread is about a Saints initiative.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:My best friend is maori so don't come the racist bs to me....Its too deep for you kp83.

Im pretty sure you can boo anyone you like. Its the sustained booing of one player that is the issue.

Freebird
Club Player

Milne?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:Milne?

If you want to but you will have to go to Bendigo to do it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm proud to be the father of a fantastic family.
There are so many proud people out there..we need to extend the season.
Last edited by The Fireman on Sun 02 Aug 2015 5:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

stjay
Club Player

Freebird wrote:Milne?
Is that a joke?

stjay
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:I'm proud to be the father of a fantastic family.
What does that mean?
Being deliberately cryptic I suspect.

Middo
Club Player

How many more minority games is there to play ?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
What does that mean?
???

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:How many more minority games is there to play ?

At least if you want to make this one have personal resonance you can jump on Grinder. Those women and Aborigines are so un-inclusive, you dress like one and rock up to the footy and they get all offended. I can't even workout where "multicultural" is.... It sounds made up.

stjay
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
stjay wrote:
What does that mean?
???
I guess congratulations are in order. Good on you.
Not sure it compares to being denigrated, discriminated against & ostracised by society.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
stjay wrote:
What does that mean?
???
I guess congratulations are in order. Good on you.
Not sure it compares to being denigrated, discriminated against & ostracised by society.
But I'm proud.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

On radio they said we were in talks with 2 clubs about this game, 1 victorian & 1 interstate. My guess is Collingwood & Sydney. I'd like it to be v Sydney next year. We already have plans for the Collingwood game (likely Friday Night) where we will have a celebration Weekend for the 50th Anniversary of the 66 premiership !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I hope we run out onto the ground to "It's Raining Men" in our pink, AFL gay pride round, guernseys designed by Molly.

Saintsational Legend

Bronwyn's resigned.

Austinnn
Club Player

8856brother wrote:I hope we run out onto the ground to "It's Raining Men" in our pink, AFL gay pride round, guernseys designed by Molly.
This is still what being gay means to plenty of people. The tired old clichés. Australia has changed luckily, but you'll always find people who can't see past clichés. For all types of life they know almost nothing about. Sam Newman is king to people like that.

When you point it out, you become the problem. Adam Goodes tried it, look what happened.

So we need these rounds to show people that it's not just that cliché.

But does the message really get through?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:How many more minority games is there to play ?

We could have a 'shortarse' round celebrating people who are vertically challenged.

Follow that with a 'tall streak of s***' round for the higher people among us, myself included.

Hmm, let's see...an 'unemployed' round for the unfortunate without jobs

A 'bowling ball' round for baldies

And in the final round, a 'boobie' round to celebrate the breast feeding mums out there!

That just about covers it, no pun intended lol

stjay
Club Player

O the witty repartee.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
8856brother wrote:I hope we run out onto the ground to "It's Raining Men" in our pink, AFL gay pride round, guernseys designed by Molly.
This is still what being gay means to plenty of people. The tired old clichés. Australia has changed luckily, but you'll always find people who can't see past clichés. For all types of life they know almost nothing about. Sam Newman is king to people like that.

When you point it out, you become the problem. Adam Goodes tried it, look what happened.

So we need these rounds to show people that it's not just that cliché.

But does the message really get through?
No cliches Austin. Raining men is an classic iconic gay tune and Molly is a prominent supporter who happens to be openly gay.

Club Player

OK. I'm not getting into more of these types of discussions on Saintsational, it is a waste of time.

Just to say: a cliché is still the truth, just not the whole truth.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Putting aside if you are pro or against the concept, if it means a bigger than normal crowd then it has a positive financial benefit for our club.

Also, it can only be good re securing large corporates for sponsorship who all have to be seen to be pro gay rights.

Would you like a poll on this?

No.
A poll on whether we want a poll?
Sorry just realised I was being racist.

I should've offered a German or maybe an Italian not just a Pole.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kp83
Club Player

Hey Freebird, sorry it's taken me so long to respond to you...I've been offline until now.

To address your first point...it makes no sense. How do you know it's too deep for me? Why does you having a Maori friend mean that you understand racism? You don't know me but I'll let you know that I am dark skinned, both my parents were born overseas and I, my brother and my parents have all been racially abused in this country during our lives. This does not mean that I hate this country or it's people (I am married to a "white" Australian), but it does mean that the issue of racism is not "too deep for" me. I am also not saying that just because of my background I automatically know more about racism than you...however your posts probably reveal that I do.

To address your second point. I don't boo anyone because I am an adult and think that booing anyone anywhere is childish and pretty weak to be honest. You mention you are a family man...well I am too and I can guarantee my son will learn very quickly not to boo anyone at the footy when I eventually take him. However, I understand that there are people out there who will always boo and I understand that I can't change their mentality. So who can or can't be booed at the footy in my opinion...well given that I don't do it I don't feel in a position to answer this question. It seems an irrelevant point anyway to what I had a crack at you about originally.

I'm guessing you are now going to have a crack at me for sitting up on my high horse and lecturing you on all of this but to be honest I'm not. You can do whatever you want at the footy and in life and teach your kids whatever lessons you want them to learn. But don't expect to not be challenged when you make a ridiculous comment that somehow our players pushing Paddy Ryder during a match can be linked to the Adam Goodes debate.

Cheers, and Go Saints!!

Freebird
Club Player

I'm sorry kp83 I just can't get it in my head that racial abuse happens anymore, if someone screamed racial abused at the footy the crowd quite rightly would turn on him/her.
My maori friend is also a swan supporter (lived in sydney before moving to melb) and she does not understand why the booing of Goodes is considered racial but at the same time she does not understand why he has been booed for so long. There are many dark skinned players in the afl and they're not booed because the colour of their skin is insignificant. The dark days when people abused others for the colour of their skin is hopefully well and truly passed. I copped my share of abuse for being catholic when I went to school (60s), they were very vindictive times.

Go saints

stjay
Club Player

Freebird wrote:I'm sorry kp83 I just can't get it in my head that racial abuse happens anymore, if someone screamed racial abused at the footy the crowd quite rightly would turn on him/her.
My maori friend is also a swan supporter (lived in sydney before moving to melb) and she does not understand why the booing of Goodes is considered racial but at the same time she does not understand why he has been booed for so long. There are many dark skinned players in the afl and they're not booed because the colour of their skin is insignificant. The dark days when people abused others for the colour of their skin is hopefully well and truly passed. I copped my share of abuse for being catholic when I went to school (60s), they were very vindictive times.

Go saints
Mods: Any possibility this discussion can be migrated to the appropriate thread?