Tom lee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Tom lee

You know I haven't been a massive supporter of this bloke..mind you I haven't been a massive detractor - arguably on the fence when it comes to tommy but based on his vfl form, his positional change down back and what is simply beautiful kick of the footy, I'd love to see this guy get a run in the seniors before seasons out.
If he doesn't perform at the top level cut him, but, and I mean but, if he shows a glimpse - enough of a glimpse then give him another year.
Something tells me there's a player there. It may be the beer but I think it is more the way he uses the ball by foot!

Sorry about yet another Tom lee post!

Go saints

#1 Ryder fan
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Tom lee

24 years old and can't get a game for a team that's been entrenched near the bottom of the ladder for the past 3 years. Pay his contract out and delist him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom lee

Old Mate wrote:24 years old and can't get a game for a team that's been entrenched near the bottom of the ladder for the past 3 years. Pay his contract out and delist him.
Plus one. The guy is not AFL standard. Never was and never will be. A list clogger and a waste of a first round draft pick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Old Mate wrote:24 years old and can't get a game for a team that's been entrenched near the bottom of the ladder for the past 3 years. Pay his contract out and delist him.
Plus one. The guy is not AFL standard. Never was and never will be. A list clogger and a waste of a first round draft pick.

Im no fan but we already have enough players to delist. More proof though.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

saynta wrote:
We are not exactly over-burdened with people who can play down back, and pinch hit up forward if necessary.

If this year was the last year of his contract, yes I would agree to delist him.

However, if we have to pay him out, we'll keep him.

Already enough to delist, as said previously.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saintkid
Club Player

saynta wrote:
We've been saying that from the very beginning, in his first couple of games. Whoever recommended Lee that highly should be a talent scout for the lawn bowls. My old man and neighbour have neen following St.Kilda for over 60 years and called it very early when they said he was another Jody Arnol (for those that remember he was a No. 3 dud draft pick key position player that moved like a Mac truck). I posted their comments very early on and some here attacked me for doing so. Happy for the bloke to have proven otherwise but the reality of his high drafting is and was a joke.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You can see the posters who are happy to be proven right by telling us they told us he would be a dud. Good on you. You must be proud.

saintkid
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:You can see the posters who are happy to be proven right by telling us they told us he would be a dud. Good on you. You must be proud.
It's not about being proud and certainly not happy. You have a strange way of seeing things, maybe it's because you were the main one here to attack my comments back then. I didn't reference you but I will now. It's about being a realist and seeing things for what are. As I said in my last post, we would have been happy for Lee to have proven otherwise and show we were wrong not happy to be proven right. Think next time before you post assumptions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:
plugger66 wrote:You can see the posters who are happy to be proven right by telling us they told us he would be a dud. Good on you. You must be proud.
It's not about being proud and certainly not happy. You have a strange way of seeing things, maybe it's because you were the main one here to attack my comments back then. I didn't reference you but I will now. It's about being a realist and seeing things for what are. As I said in my last post, we would have been happy for Lee to have proven otherwise and show we were wrong not happy to be proven right. Think next time before you post assumptions.

It seemed a pretty happy post telling us how right you were. Ive been a big critic of Lee but im not going to come on here saying im right. Unlike some I want to be wrong every single time I have a go at a player. I thought about what I wrote but I then read what you wrote. Ive missed you though. You are always so positive.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Lee is contracted until the end of 2016. Clinton Jones and Sam Fisher debuted at around 23. If the club was going to completely write off Lee, would they be trying to develop him into a defender? It's really up in the air, I'd say. If Fisher retires this year, then Lee becomes insurance for 2016 where he has one least opportunity. I'd love to see hi play some games rather than rotting in the VFL for two full seasons only to be delisted at the end of 2016. That would be a waste of everyone's time.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He'll play before the year's out and surprise most on here!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Id at least like to see him play down back for a few games. We have nothing at all to lose.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

What role can he play at the top level? surely he wouldn't have the build to play on the key forwards.

The big issue I see for him is that we already have Roberton and Webster as those mid sized defenders locked in for years to come. By the time you add in guys like Gilbert and Geary I just don't see how we'll find a spot for him.

I know he has done well in the VFL as a key defender but the delivery the forwards get in the big league is far harder to defend against.

I would love to see him make it but I don't seem him having the closing speed to become a Hudghton type defender or the strength to be your typical key back.

At this stage it is looking like the trading strategies during the compromised draft was a bust...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
stjay
Club Player

Thought they might give him a run this week. Clearly got that wrong but his defensive work has been really solid and his disposal efficiency has been excellent which is a nice change from watching our backmen butcher the ball coming out of defence for so many years.
This guy needs a run in his new role before we wipe him.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:He'll play before the year's out and surprise most on here!
Is that your opinion?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
#gosaintas
Club Player

I certainly hope they give him a chance this year

realdeal
Club Player

stjay wrote:Thought they might give him a run this week. Clearly got that wrong but his defensive work has been really solid and his disposal efficiency has been excellent which is a nice change from watching our backmen butcher the ball coming out of defence for so many years.
You'd think he's a definite to be on the list next year.

It would be silly to get rid of him considering his development down back, his solid disposal and the age bracket he falls in. Add to the fact he's got another year on his contract. Hopefully he manages a senior game before the year is out.

stjay
Club Player

realdeal wrote:
stjay wrote:Thought they might give him a run this week. Clearly got that wrong but his defensive work has been really solid and his disposal efficiency has been excellent which is a nice change from watching our backmen butcher the ball coming out of defence for so many years.
You'd think he's a definite to be on the list next year.

It would be silly to get rid of him considering his development down back, his solid disposal and the age bracket he falls in. Add to the fact he's got another year on his contract. Hopefully he manages a senior game before the year is out.
Let's hope. Definitely on the list, they're not going to pay him out as suggested.

Joffabouy
Location: Nusakambangan prison island hoping for a stay of execution.

Bernard Shakey wrote:He'll play before the year's out and surprise most on here!
I agree.

With reconstructed shoulders (Tom's, not mine), I for one, shall enjoy the irony of the Tommy Lee doubters having to express their (positive) surprise. Go Tom Lee!

And next season, ditto for Spencer White. Go Spence!

Please don't ban me Mods! :shock:

Joffabouy - a unique entity, a friendly and light-hearted poster, a Saint's tragic. Wishing to chat about all things Saints, and to encourage people to consume more Tarax. https://youtu.be/LWqGI98MNyc

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, I admit I have been a massive detractor of Lee, but he seems to have some skills as a defender, and I would like him to make it as a defender for us, even if it is only in the short term until we bolster the side, just so as we haven't wasted a first round draft pick.
It seems as though he may have done a Bob Murray, and that has a massive upside for us - remember, Jamie Shanahan came to us as a forward and took ages to come on, and then represented the side as a FB in a GF.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saint-stu
Club Player

He has been pretty good in the VFL this year. Time is running out, but I'm still hopeful. Let's wait and see if his form translates to AFL.

It seems our batch of Toms haven't done so well in hindsight. Jacks going much better.

1ac46a38
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Is that your opinion?
No, it's my opinion, not your opinion!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Wish he would get a bloody hair cut - nobody can take him seriously when he looks like he is wearing a clowns wig!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
avid
Club Player

I really want to see him get a run in the back line.
I think it's possible he could make it there, and I want us to give him every chance.

post number 1000 coming up for me -- must be one of the slowest ever.

realdeal
Club Player

avid wrote:I really want to see him get a run in the back line.
I think it's possible he could make it there, and I want us to give him every chance.

post number 1000 coming up for me -- must be one of the slowest ever.
I joined 4 years earlier yet over 600 posts behind.. Oh dear..