POLL: Should we wear our Aboriginal guernsey this week also?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should we wear our Aboriginal guernsey to support Goodes?

Poll ended at Thu 06 Aug 2015 8:28am

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 99

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: POLL: Should we wear our Aboriginal guernsey this week a

thejiggingsaint wrote:I think the club should express itself by condemning racism (in whatever form it takes) and by urging our supporters to affirm this.
spot on. All clubs need to take responsibility and convey the message to their supporters

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
FQF
SS Life Member

I still think that there is more to this saga than racism but perception is 9 tenths of reality and if the footy community reacted to this whole issue by firmly shutting down racism as any sort of a legitimate opinion then I think it's worth taking part in. I voted yes, it might be a non issue by the time we play them.

70s sainter
Club Player

Def not .
We've had our fair share of controversy over the years.
Let's just stay out of this one shall we and enjoy our footy.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:If the Sydney crowd booes Richmond are they no considered Racists?
They would be considered stupid for turning up at the wrong game.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
RODOS
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
RODOS wrote:Indigenous culture should be promoted way more than it is, across the board. In NZ he prominence of Maori culture, the teaching of Maori in schools, just the general celebration and integration is fantastic. Australia should really have a look at some of the stuff NZ has done to lessen the divide between indigenous people and the rest. I would have no problem with us wearing an indigenous jumper this round, and every round. It doesn't have to be over the top, just a little tip of the hat to the people whose country we came and pillaged.

How can you say it doesn't have to be over the top and then you say you wouldn't mind wearing the indigenous every round. We have our own jumper.

So this round im saying i dont mind it being quite overt

every other round just a little something, similar to say a little sponsor thing or something

It's a price, as a member of the club, I'd be more than happy to pay. Indigenous people have been too long ignored and cast out by society. You wonder why there are so many issues with indigenous players/people? Because we treat them like s***. I've got it extremely easy being a white male, but if I felt like society thought I was worthless and didn't feel like I had a place in the country that I was born, not even taking into count the horrors that came before, I'm sure my life would been much, much harder.

People are so f****** selfish, "oh, don't mess with our oh so important jumper!! it will ruin our precious heritage!"

what a load. It's like smiling at strangers when you walk down the street. It costs you nothing, but can have a really positive effect. A bit of love, an expression that we acknowledge their struggles and place in australia, will do a world of good.

And no it's not over the top. Committing an act of genocide is over the top.

We came here, ruined their country, and now they need a bit of help, but everyone's too selfish to give a f***.

Whole thing makes me sick

ace
Saintsational Legend

I liked Robert Muir.
I liked Nicky Winmar.
I liked the Clarke brothers.
I DON'T like Adam Goodes.
I have booed at every umpire when they made wrong decisions against St Kilda.
I booed at Glenn James when he made wrong decisions against St Kilda.
Does this mean I am a racist
Or am I a St Kilda supporter.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

ace wrote: I booed at Glenn James when he made wrong decisions against St Kilda.
If you booed Glenn James only when he made a wrong decision against St Kilda, no you are not racist.

If you booed Glenn James because he was Glenn James, well, that's a different matter.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
ace wrote: I booed at Glenn James when he made wrong decisions against St Kilda.
If you booed Glenn James only when he made a wrong decision against St Kilda, no you are not racist.

If you booed Glenn James because he was Glenn James, well, that's a different matter.
In regards to your second scenario, what if you booed Glenn James because he was Glenn James the umpire and you just don't like umpires?

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Booooooooooo

No!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

RODOS wrote:Indigenous culture should be promoted way more than it is, across the board. In NZ he prominence of Maori culture, the teaching of Maori in schools, just the general celebration and integration is fantastic. Australia should really have a look at some of the stuff NZ has done to lessen the divide between indigenous people and the rest. I would have no problem with us wearing an indigenous jumper this round, and every round. It doesn't have to be over the top, just a little tip of the hat to the people whose country we came and pillaged.
What do you mean we white man.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:If the Sydney crowd booes Richmond are they no considered Racists?
Nick Riewoldt is booed weekly - automatic racist taunt now cause apparently as humans we've lodt the ability of being able to separate racism as an issue from a crowd booing footy players which has gone on since.... well Adam was a boy..

“Yeah….nah””
Locals322
Club Player

We are not New Zealand so I am sure simply copying whatever everyone else is doing wouldn't be appropriate although it seems this is your general method of operation.

I personally didn't pillage anyone's country. What's more there was no country to 'pillage' when my ancestors arrived. It was built into the successful country we are today through taxpayers and hard work. Oddly enough not the hard work of those there hands out for a free feed. It was protected from Japanese conquest by the blood, sacrifice and unity of the armed forces. And was built into an economic powerhouse primarily from those with European heritage.

Lands change hands constantly throughout history. Rome doesn't rule Europe anymore and Japan's alot smaller than it use to be. With that in mind efforts to shame people 10-20 generations away for the work of their ancestors is misguided and narrow minded. You don't know who my ancestors. Nor do you know what they did and no I won't give anyone special treatment due to a sense of guilt or shame that is not right for me to carry.

Adam Goodes certainly didn't show anyone much respect when he called Australia day 'Invasion Day' and I certainly won't be showing him any respect. Nor did he show any respect for 13 year old girl he victimised infront of a few hundred thousand. Nor did he show any respect touching a man where you don't touch a man or referring to Essendon as drug cheats when evidence suggest they may innocent.

You get what you give Adam

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Last edited by Locals322 on Thu 30 Jul 2015 8:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Locals322 wrote:

We are not New Zealand so I am sure simply copying whatever everyone else is doing wouldn't be appropriate although it seems this is your general method of operation.

I personally didn't pillage anyone's country. What's more there was no country to 'pillage' when my ancestors arrived. It was built into the successful country we are today through taxpayers and hard work. Oddly enough not the hard work of those there hands out for a free feed. It was protected from Japanese conquest by the blood, sacrifice and unity of the armed forces. And was built into an economic powerhouse primarily from those with European heritage.

Lands change hands constantly throughout history. Rome doesn't rule Europe anymore and Japan's alot smaller than it use to be. With that in mind efforts to shame people 10-20 generations away for the work of their ancestors is misguided and narrow minded. You don't know who my ancestors. Nor do you know what they did and no I won't give anyone special treatment due to a sense of guilt or shame that is not right for me to carry.

Adam Goodes certainly didn't show anyone much respect when he called Australia day 'Invasion Day' and I certainly won't be showing him any respect.

Did he call Australia day invasion day or is that another myth? Maybe a myth. Anyway it shouldn't mean you boo him know considering people have been requested not to because he thinks its race related.

Locals322
Club Player

I reserve the right to boo anyone I please. That's equality for you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Locals322 wrote:I reserve the right to boo anyone I please. That's equality for you.

Yep even when no one wants you to boo. Shows peoples lack of class. That will be the good thing out of this. We can see people who just don't get anything.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Locals322 wrote:I reserve the right to boo anyone I please. That's equality for you.
You should be able to boo anyone you like; it really suits you.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Locals322 wrote:

Please

Adam Goodes certainly didn't show anyone much respect when he called Australia day 'Invasion Day' and I certainly won't be showing him any respect. Nor did he show any respect for 13 year old girl he victimised infront of a few hundred thousand. Nor did he show any respect touching a man where you don't touch a man or referring to Essendon as drug cheats when evidence suggest they may innocent.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Please say your not a saints supporter. I'm so embarrassed for your lack of knowledge of aboriginal culture and the devastation that occurred when white man came to this land. The sickness they brought the genocide they systematically performed, the stolen generations , the high mortality and prison rates , the destruction of a complex culture, slavery etc etc please do some research your whole existence in this country rides on the back this history. But of course you are only interested in your self. Ps isn't western society great , wars, destruction of the environment , greed , disease , drugs, mining, pollution, proliferation of scumbags and losers ..over population , selling your soul to make money .man you need help.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I am sick of being tut-tutted to by the chattering class. I feel more than offended every time my team plays in any guernsey other than our traditional red, white and black.

So that is a definite NO. This is all about seeming, not doing, good.

Saint supporter since '62
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Locals322 wrote:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Using the fall of the Roman Empire and imperial Japan which were both expansionist to justify the colonisation of Australia is a good one. Ha ha.

What happened to the Tasmanian Aboriginals?

You have a fine grasp of history and the truth.
Last edited by SaintPav on Thu 30 Jul 2015 9:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

My theory for the booing is Adam Goodes..

...Goodes has used football to express his political views, and those views are quite confronting for most Australians, especially his war dance against Carlton....it feels like he's having a shot at white Australians.....

What if Bashar Hulli was to use football to promote Islam in a confrontational manner....I reckon most Australians would express their disgust....

Does this make us racists?

The best solution I can think of is for Goodes to promise to get his political agenda off the footy field, and get back to playing the game.

The crowds are not racist, they mostly appreciate aborigional players, but individuals in crowds don't enjoy their ancestors integrity being challenged.

Anyway, I won't boo, but I would resent wearing the aborigional jumper. Cause I reckon we should keep religion and politics of the football field.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I have never booed anyone in my life and do not understand at all what pleasure you'd get out of it!

This is all about the lowest common denominator. The lowest common denominator is the bogan!
It is racist bogans who are booing!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
What if Bashar Hulli was to use football to promote Islam in a confrontational manner....I reckon most Australians would express their disgust....
It's Bachar Houli but nonetheless, it's a completely irrelevant question but if he did he would probably have VicPol kick his door in.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I have never booed anyone in my life and do not understand at all what pleasure you'd get out of it!

This is all about the lowest common denominator. The lowest common denominator is the bogan!
I am so honored to be in your presence or least on the same internet. So measured , you sir are an example to us all................wow.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I have never booed anyone in my life and do not understand at all what pleasure you'd get out of it!

Bernie I like your stuff normally but this is apologist dribble
Let's not pander to the left wing politically correct flogs who would have you believe getting out of bed right side and not left automatically means you're a Nazi fascist
There are those who want to politicise booing footballers (which has been part of the theatre of football since day 1), sadly these people feel the need to demonstrate their righteousness and sense of "higher evolution" over the rest of us.... problem is this type of stunt damages and takes away from the true discussion which should be about the scourge racism is and how it isn't and ought not be tolerated. But no, it's not really about discussing racism, it's about band wagoners demonstrating they're "above all this" because they know how to hijack a national past time and turn it into a politically correctness exercise. Sadly the agenda is driven by a leftist media (think Q and A ABC), and the vast majority are force fed their "opinions" from Herald a Sun.

“Yeah….nah””
Furphy
Club Player

I don't recall anyone 'booing' Michael Long and he was very outspoken in regards to indigenous Australian issues.