Round 22 Adam Goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 22 Adam Goodes

Con Gorozidis wrote:The whole thing is just a cluster f*ck now.
yup

doenst matter what you say do or even if you boo (im a poet and didnt know it!)
its just going to get worse
and we all know that he will still get booed at the next away game, for whatever reasons

tell enough people that they cant do something and probability says someone is going to tell you to f*** off and do it just to piss you off

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:
There is an agenda behind this.
:D :D
There is an agenda behind pretty much everything for you Rushy.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

blaming the 'Left' !!!
Huh.

what has the 'Left' got to do with ?
... dont we have a community tryn to make sense of a mob behaviour
thats possibly past its use by date ?
... or is it a technique of the 'Right' in control of the masses that is some sort of Sacred Cow
making anyone who questions it , Left.

i'm getting more confused by the moment :(

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
IanRush wrote:
There is an agenda behind this.
:D :D
There is an agenda behind pretty much everything for you Rushy.
:wink: Hi Con. :wink:

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
markp
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:and here comes the mess

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-29/b ... hris-scott
So what happens if it doesn't stop?

Will they start talking about locking fans out and playing to empty stadiums as they've done with soccer?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

have no idea
but i doubt that will happen markp
i know its happened in the soccer as i remember it as a kid in the UK

at a guess?
he will retire and then blame his treatment at games as the reason?

f***ed if i know
or tbh care whether he plays on for 5 more years or 5 more mins
the 'damage' however we see it has been done, the envelope has been opened and now its just going to get seriously worse

im waiting for some peanut thats reasonably well known to say something complete stupid in the media somewhere and then...well
who the hell knows whats going to happen

its just a mess now

asiu
Saintsational Legend

$5 per 5 minutes maybe Marko
but enough of the lip sewing !
... how are we gunna spruik the biz

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinio ... 7460762592

"Those keen to portray fans as racist tend to be miserable self-loathing Leftists who see Australia as some backward, xenophobic corner of the world. Goodes being booed is just another reason to slam their country as racist. The truth is immaterial.

The victimhood brigade won’t be satisfied unless Goodes is seen as a casualty of Australia’s seething racism."

Gtreat article if you want to read it in full, and don't have the closed mind of some posters.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
matrix wrote:and here comes the mess

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-29/b ... hris-scott
So what happens if it doesn't stop?

Will they start talking about locking fans out and playing to empty stadiums as they've done with soccer?
Christensen will get booed. I wonder how that will be viewed.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SENsei wrote:Can I ask if the boo-ing is race driven, then why are no other indigenious players being booed? (To my knowledge anyway).

I don't or wouldn't boo, but I think this is personality based not race based. In my opinion.
Because no other indigenous player speaks out and makes us feel uncomfortable.
Michael Long and Nicky Winmar were never booed. They were commended and respected.
They did more to raise awareness of racism in football than Adam Goodes has ever done.

They did it in an era where it was far more confronting than it is today. It is not as confronting today because of the stand they took and the work they did and continue to do.
Both fairly quiet blokes. Adam is more of a spokesman. Is that what makes peopele think he is an 'arrogant flog'? From all reports he is a real gentleman off field and great with kids etc etc.

I think Old Mate has made a good point. Even if it really is his personality - the fact a bunch of whities are booing the black public face of anti-racism is just very off now.

Winmar was booed and abused by Collingwood fans even after his stand, their president said he would be respected when he acted white. Long was racially abused by players and people in the media like Rex Hunt had a foot in each camp often saying things like Winmar need to act white and not getting the issue. Lets not gloss over history. This guy has a good term for it

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/afl-the-u ... 2hy9b.html

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/afl-the-u ... 2hy9b.html

Austinnn
Club Player

saynta wrote:Christensen will get booed. I wonder how that will be viewed.
To what are you trying to alude?
Are you telling us that our concept of racism is screwed?
It's true that this blanket reaction to one type of behaviour has given the right-wing libertine sharks some food.
It's clear that since the AotY, this trouble has brewed.
The beautiful native game is currently in a dark mood.
People think that Goodes is up himself but I reckon he's an alright dude.
I sure hope that someone doesn't get sued.

Etc

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
saynta wrote:Christensen will get booed. I wonder how that will be viewed.
To what are you trying to alude?
Are you telling us that our concept of racism is screwed?
It's true that this blanket reaction to one type of behaviour has given the right-wing libertine sharks some food.
It's clear that since the AotY, this trouble has brewed.
The beautiful native game is currently in a dark mood.
People think that Goode's is up himself but I reckon he's an alright dude.
I sure hope that someone doesn't get sued.

Etc
Work it out yourself.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinio ... 7460762592

"Those keen to portray fans as racist tend to be miserable self-loathing Leftists who see Australia as some backward, xenophobic corner of the world. Goodes being booed is just another reason to slam their country as racist. The truth is immaterial.

The victimhood brigade won’t be satisfied unless Goodes is seen as a casualty of Australia’s seething racism."

Gtreat article if you want to read it in full, and don't have the closed mind of some posters.

Rita Panahi is an abhorrent fool. She champions Andrew Bolt who a friends husband (who knows him) tells me is a great guy because he doesn't even believe the s*** he says but amuses himself. Panahi tries to gloss over everything while saying anyone who disagrees with her is a marxist nightmare that wants to enslave humanity and make them eat lentils. She comes from good immigrant Persian stock that came here for opportunity and now demand the door is firmly shut so none else can get access to the same opportunity. She wants a dictatorship run by arch conservatives but loves Australia. Well she would if it was just a bit more like Iraq in the good old days where a strong conservative stopped these silly dissenters. Like Abbott who thinks Australia is perfect but justs want to tinker with a few things so it's exactly like good old England.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
markp wrote:
WindSister wrote:
markp wrote:Gaz, it's the foody and theatre, we cheer our heros and boo our villains.
Agreed.
... and its very purpose , is to allow the relief of held stress n tension by the people ,
so as it doesnt explode sideways out in the general community during the daily grind.
So basically , we are as the Romans.

Where will the 'sideways' explosion of simmering resentments express itself next
if it cant be done at the Colloseum?
Maybe we can go into business marketing relocatable soundproof boo - booths?

Pay $2 and boo your head off for 5 minutes.
Now I'm almost sad that the booing will stop. People need a release.

it's NOT about the booing!
But this thread is.
The op was asking that we, in representing our club as supporters. should show restraint and not boo Adam Goodes. This is a reasonable request.

But my point is...I don't boo anyway, and I don't know anyone that does. Apart from a couple of people, judging from the response , hardly anyone here seems to boo. So who are we pleading with? Was there a booing problem previously in our games against the Swans? Doesn't seem like that's the case. So because a group of idiots in WA doing it for a reason most seem to presume is racism, the media have highlighted it. I think that this media attention alone will incite every racist/moron/joker/shitstirrer that attends the game to have a crack at him, and if they do we can expect to all be branded racists. They will use images of Nicky and Gilbert to highlight that we were the problem all along.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Really - everyone knows my views on Goodes.

I think he is an ordinary person, and a has a glass jaw.

But does that mean he has to be further humiliated?

What are we all achieving by this.

It is making us all and the game a lesser thing.

We just need to stop.

This includes Adam Goodes with his silly war dance.

Just everyone pull back

Please

You are garbage - Enough said
saynta
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Rita Panahi is an abhorrent fool. She champions Andrew Bolt who a friends husband (who knows him) tells me is a great guy because he doesn't even believe the s*** he says but amuses himself. Panahi tries to gloss over everything while saying anyone who disagrees with her is a marxist nightmare that wants to enslave humanity and make them eat lentils. She comes from good immigrant Persian stock that came here for opportunity and now demand the door is firmly shut so none else can get access to the same opportunity. She wants a dictatorship run by arch conservatives but loves Australia. Well she would if it was just a bit more like Iraq in the good old days where a strong conservative stopped these silly dissenters. Like Abbott who thinks Australia is perfect but justs want to tinker with a few things so it's exactly like good old England.
now I don't want to start a flame war with you gringo,but I think you have posted similar defamatory rubbish about Rita before. You should read the whole article. I was a balanced piece of journalism in my opinion. and what she said about the looney loathing left was spot on.

Why don't you read the whole article and then attack what you disagree with rather than attack a much admired opinion piece writer.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Really - everyone knows my views on Goodes.

We just need to stop.

Just everyone pull back

Please
Fair comments bunk.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
markp wrote:
WindSister wrote:
markp wrote:Gaz, it's the foody and theatre, we cheer our heros and boo our villains.
Agreed.
... and its very purpose , is to allow the relief of held stress n tension by the people ,
so as it doesnt explode sideways out in the general community during the daily grind.

Where will the 'sideways' explosion of simmering resentments express itself next

But this thread is.
The op was asking that we, in representing our club as supporters. should show restraint and not boo Adam Goodes. This is a reasonable request.

But my point is...I don't boo anyway, and I don't know anyone that does. Apart from a couple of people, judging from the response , hardly anyone here seems to boo. So who are we pleading with? Was there a booing problem previously in our games against the Swans? Doesn't seem like that's the case. So because a group of idiots in WA doing it for a reason most seem to presume is racism, the media have highlighted it. I think that this media attention alone will incite every racist/moron/joker/shitstirrer that attends the game to have a crack at him, and if they do we can expect to all be branded racists. They will use images of Nicky and Gilbert to highlight that we were the problem all along.

I don't think it could be any worse than it has been for the last 2 years. Im unsure what the AFL or the media can do apart from highlight it because its not going away and its probably worse than ever. And if they aren't racists well they can at least be branded as complete morons as they have been asked by Goodes and many others not to do it. Probably our captain or coach may say something before the game if this crap is still going on. I have no idea why anyone would do it now.
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 29 Jul 2015 6:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think we are all in full agreement that the booing should stop.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Really - everyone knows my views on Goodes.

We just need to stop.

Just everyone pull back

Please

Leave Britney alone...

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

matrix wrote: im waiting for some peanut thats reasonably well known to say something complete stupid in the media somewhere and then...well
who the hell knows whats going to happen

its just a mess now
That someone has said it:
by saynta » Wed 29 Jul 2015 3:32pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinio ... 7460762592

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
gringo wrote:

now I don't want to start a flame war with you gringo,but I think you have posted similar defamatory rubbish about Rita before. You should read the whole article. I was a balanced piece of journalism in my opinion. and what she said about the looney loathing left was spot on.

Why don't you read the whole article and then attack what you disagree with rather than attack a much admired opinion piece writer.
You have to be joking. More proof though. She gives Liberal supporters a bad name with her crap she writes. She is now the female equivalent of that loser Bolt. They are must avoids in the paper and unfortunately on TV as well.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Wow! A General Forum style thread (two of 'em actually) right here in the main forum. :lol: Saintsationalists. you really should consider popping over to the good 'ol GF. See the sorta' stuff that you've been missing... well at least when the GF was up and running in its prime. :(

Back to Goodes. Time for a summary after all these pages I reckon. Yep, a bit long maybe, but it's hard for people to form accurate opinions without have a grasp of what they are forming opinions on... :wink:

Background?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Goodes
Goodes was born in South Australia, to Lisa May and Graham Goodes, with siblings Jake and Brett. Goodes' father is of English, Irish and Scottish ancestry; his mother is an Indigenous Australian (Adnyamathanha and Narungga).
Goodes' parents were separated when he was four; his father moved to Queensland while Goodes moved between Wallarooand Adelaide (in South Australia) and Merbein (in Victoria) with his mother.

What did he do to be named as Australian of the Year?
Adam is proud of his Indigenous heritage, and is actively involved with several Indigenous sport and community programs. He has spent time working with troubled youth, including those in youth detention centres. Together with his cousin and former teammate Michael O’Loughlin, Adam established the Go Foundation which empowers the next generation of Indigenous role models in all walks of life. Adam co-chairs the foundation, focused on promoting education, employment and healthy lifestyles. Adam is a great role model and advocate for the fight against racism both on and off the field and is admired by a great many people around the nation.
http://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/h ... entID=1144

That speech: https://youtu.be/3EV-cLb_Ttg
"Growing up as an Indigenous Australian, I have seen and experienced my fair share of racism. Whilst it has been difficult a lot of the time, it has also taught me a lot and shaped my values and what I believe in today. There are always two ways we can look at a situation - we can choose to get angry or not, we can choose to help others or not, or choose to be offended or not, we can keep our silos or educate ourselves and others about racism and minority populations. It is not just about taking responsibility for your own actions, but speaking to your mates when they take out their anger on their loved ones, minority groups or make racist remarks. We are all equal and the same in so many ways. My hope is that we as a nation can break down the silos between races, break down those stereotypes of minority populations - Indigenous populations and all those other minority groups. I hope we can be proud of our heritage regardless of the colour of our skin and be proud to be Australian."

He says whilst he is extremely proud and honoured to be chosen as Australian of the Year, the real reward will be to see a nation free of racism.

"The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other is equals and treat each other as equals. To me everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it's the people and the and Interatcions between us that make this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day."

What he wants:
He says he finds it hard to buy into a celebratory notion of Australia Day ''because of the sadness and mourning and the sorrow of our people and a culture that unfortunately has been lost to me through generations''.
Goodes grew up believing Australia was founded on a summer's day in January 1788 when Governor Arthur Phillip staked the flag of the British kingdom in the sand of Sydney Cove.

''I've obviously learnt different since then,'' he says.

Nevertheless, he finds cause for optimism. ''We are still here, we've got a lot to celebrate about being here and that we have one of the longest-serving cultures still alive and kicking.''

He does not judge flag-waving, beer-swilling celebrations taking place elsewhere. ''Good luck to them,'' he says. ''That's what I love about Australia: we can do things the way we want to do them, because that's the way our country is - no matter what culture you come from, you can come to Australia and practise your religion, you can practise your beliefs, and you shouldn't be judged for it. That's what I love about Australia, we have this freedom.''

He hopes to use his public profile to raise awareness of the push for constitutional recognition of indigenous people.

''There's nothing in the constitution right now that says Aboriginal people are the first Australians,'' Goodes said, arguing for a successful referendum on the issue in the next couple of years.

''It isn't about us wanting to get our land back and it's not about wanting compensation, it's about wanting recognition we were the first Australians.''

The day after Goodes raised his arm to identify a 13-year-old girl in the MCG crowd who had shouted ''ape'' at him, he stood, shaken and shattered, before a media throng.

''It cut me deep,'' he said.

And then: ''The person that needs the most support now is the little girl. People do need to cut this girl some slack.''

His hopes for the nation are that ''everyone is treated as equals, through race, religion, sexuality and gender''.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/australi ... z3hG5V8Lcg

Other Work?

Goodes used his valedictory speech in Canberra to thank Australians for their support, but said there was still much to do.

"One in five women experience harassment within the workplace – one in five," he said.

"It's still a massive challenge for us all, but the real challenge lies with us men."

"In 2015, our task is to continue to educate and empower men [to] realise the role they play in ending violence against women.

"You will see more momentum in the pursuit of ensuring all women can live safely, free from all forms of violence."

Goodes said the aim of his anti-racism campaign, "Racism. It Stops With Me", was to ensure more Australians recognise racism is unacceptable and provide the tools and resources to take practical action against it.

"We have had a great response to the program this year and our journey and focus remains in 2015. It's all about education and understanding what's acceptable and what isn't," he said.

"I mentioned in my acceptance speech last year that my hope was that this nation can break down the silos between races; break down the stereotypes of minority populations, Indigenous populations, and all the other minority groups.

"I felt that the ultimate reward would be when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals.

"Whilst we are not quite there yet and still have a way to go, I feel that in 2014, we as a nation, community and individuals, have made progress."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-25/a ... sm/6045170

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
markp
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
markp wrote:
WindSister wrote:
Agreed.

But this thread is.

Yep.

I hope the booing stops now, it has to.

The alternative is that it gets very messy... and that clubs and its members are branded.

The problem is that the issue has been reduced and over simplified; if you dislike goodes you're racist (we all are, apparently), if you boo or don't condemn the booing you're a racist.

Some who resent this implication may feel the best way to express that is to boo... along with other shyte stirrers.

Can only hope it simmers right down, right away.
Last edited by markp on Wed 29 Jul 2015 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.