Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spencer White

No tank and cannot develop one by the sounds of it.

It's a real shame as he has some quality attributes. The asthma may have played a role in him not being able to push himself as hard as he'd like

FQF
SS Life Member

S.A Saint wrote:Considering the position we are atm (rebuild) we need to give him a run of 5 or so games to exactly see were his is at with his so called terrible tank. He played 2 games last year and didnt disgrace himself, so give him a chance to see what kind of impact he has. If he shows nothing then we can all say that he at least had a proper shot and then delist him. simple.
Sorry mate, Spencer at the very least would need to be picked in the senior VFL side and play a couple of strong games. I'm sure he is a good bloke with plenty of talent, but for whatever reason he is (short of a miracle) going to be one of many hundreds of footballers who don't make the grade.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Spuddy White?

S.A Saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:Considering the position we are atm (rebuild) we need to give him a run of 5 or so games to exactly see were his is at with his so called terrible tank. He played 2 games last year and didnt disgrace himself, so give him a chance to see what kind of impact he has. If he shows nothing then we can all say that he at least had a proper shot and then delist him. simple.

He doesn't deserve 5 games in a row. People say that all the time and after one or two bad games they want these players out. He is in our thirds. There are 8 games left. he needs to get in the seconds and then play well before he is selected. I would be surprised if he gets one game let alone 5. And yes we are rebuilding but we need to look at those who may or may not be delisted, not those he seem certain to go.

You need to remember these guys are playing footy so the coaches see them anyway. Its not like they are sitting on their bums and doing nothing. He isn't good enough unfortunately neither was LJ conners or Chris Oliver.
i understand the whole playing well part, but you cant tell me that when ray and gilbert came back from injuries that they tore up the vfl. ray had 2 or 3 average at best game and was back into the squad. He isnt doing much in the seniors atm but thats a different topic.

All im saying is that he 'has' shown promise more than most young key forwards and needs a solid run in the seniors to see what he can actually do as we need to make some tough decisions come the end of the year.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
FQF
SS Life Member

S.A Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He doesn't deserve 5 games in a row. People say that all the time and after one or two bad games they want these players out. He is in our thirds. There are 8 games left. he needs to get in the seconds and then play well before he is selected. I would be surprised if he gets one game let alone 5. And yes we are rebuilding but we need to look at those who may or may not be delisted, not those he seem certain to go.

You need to remember these guys are playing footy so the coaches see them anyway. Its not like they are sitting on their bums and doing nothing. He isn't good enough unfortunately neither was LJ conners or Chris Oliver.
i understand the whole playing well part, but you cant tell me that when ray and gilbert came back from injuries that they tore up the vfl. ray had 2 or 3 average at best game and was back into the squad. He isnt doing much in the seniors atm but thats a different topic.

All im saying is that he 'has' shown promise more than most young key forwards and needs a solid run in the seniors to see what he can actually do as we need to make some tough decisions come the end of the year.
Ray and Gilbert have both played over 150 games. When Spencer plays that many games he might also be able to skip the 'earn your spot in the VFL' stage.

This whole argument is madness. He is playing in the VFL development league and the coach can barely even find positives to say about his performances there. Spencer might be the furthest player on the list to senior selection.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Hey Plugger, do you reckon Tony Lockett would get a game these days?

He probably didn't have a huge tank.

Unquestionably the best player I've ever seen....it would be a shame if a player with his ability didn't get an opportunity in this era..

I don't think he would be a chance if he played how he used to play. Hopefully he would be that good he could adjust but I don't he would be chance playing like he did. And Im sorry to you and everyone else.
Highlights (reflects poorly) what the situation of the game is these days.....re the plugger comments P66
Last edited by chook23 on Thu 16 Jul 2015 5:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I remember that debut where he kicked a few. Was far from impressed they were a few gimmies from memory and didn't do much else.

If he can't have an impact in the VFL ressies I'm happy to put him down as a failed experiment.

Once you take into account the compromised nature of his draft class he is the equivalent of a mid 50's pick, no huge loss.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
S.A Saint
Club Player

FQF wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Ray and Gilbert have both played over 150 games. When Spencer plays that many games he might also be able to skip the 'earn your spot in the VFL' stage.

This whole argument is madness. He is playing in the VFL development league and the coach can barely even find positives to say about his performances there. Spencer might be the furthest player on the list to senior selection.
Why would it be madness.. I personally dont care if they played 300 each. it should be on merit if we are being serious. Its not like we are talking about roo here. Gilbert and ray are boderline 22 as well so from them to walk right in after a few games doesnt sit well with me.

I know were he is playing but what he showed i dont think he should be were he is. But she shall see what happens to him in the future.

FQF
SS Life Member

S.A Saint wrote:
FQF wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why would it be madness.. I personally dont care if they played 300 each. it should be on merit if we are being serious. Its not like we are talking about roo here. Gilbert and ray are boderline 22 as well so from them to walk right in after a few games doesnt sit well with me.

I know were he is playing but what he showed i dont think he should be were he is. But she shall see what happens to him in the future.
Do you watch his VFL reserves performances? Have you watched him play at all this year, or train? Or are you basing your opinion on a few easy goals he kicked almost a year ago?

S.A Saint
Club Player

FQF wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
FQF wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Do you watch his VFL reserves performances? Have you watched him play at all this year, or train? Or are you basing your opinion on a few easy goals he kicked almost a year ago?

The point above is with regards to ray and gilbert waltzing into the team with hardly any decent form behind them. Im going off from what i have seen last year in those 2 games which was more than most 1st gamers. I just want him to be given a fair crack at senior level considering we are not finals bound this year to see if he is worth keeping or moved on.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Why would some bloke playing in the thirds get 5 games in the seniors?

McCartin would get games ahead of him.

White is gawn at seasons end and deserves to be.

List clogger.

You are garbage - Enough said
stjay
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:
FQF wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You can't base it on what you see as the inconsistency of senior selection on guys that have repeatedly shown the ability to play first team football.
There is a process for earning the right to play based on solid performance and KPI's through the thirds and the seconds which he is clearly failing.
When was the last time you saw him named in the "best"?............
The club, I am sure, wants him up and going and playing his best football but the truth is - it's over, and I think the kid knows that too.
V. disappointing, we all hoped for much more.

FQF
SS Life Member

S.A Saint wrote: The point above is with regards to ray and gilbert waltzing into the team with hardly any decent form behind them. Im going off from what i have seen last year in those 2 games which was more than most 1st gamers. I just want him to be given a fair crack at senior level considering we are not finals bound this year to see if he is worth keeping or moved on.
Your points about Ray and Gilbert are separate. You aren't alone in not wanting them in the team and giving precedence to youngsters - many on here argued the same thing. But in my opinion both Ray and Gilbert have proven track records and you don't need to be Nick Riewoldt to be too good for the VFL. Both of them played a handful of VFL games after their injuries and played well. When they are fit, they are clearly senior players. That's much more than can be said for Spencer.

As to giving Spencer a 'fair crack', I think our point of difference is whether senior games are a rite of passage or a reward for good form. Spencer has already been given 2 senior appearances in his career, and that is arguably more than he rightfully deserved. I'm not bagging him out, he's had injuries and obviously is hampered by asthma (all of which are out of his control), but you don't need to be gifted games to be given a fair crack. In fact, the contract extension that he got is his fair crack given that he certainly didn't demand it.

I've been pro Spencer in many of the previous "Spencer White" threads that pop up regularly. But given the recent turn his career has taken, dropped from Sandy seniors and doing very little in the Sandy devs team (by all reports), I think it's time to give up. If I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled, but I suspect I won't be.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Hey Plugger, do you reckon Tony Lockett would get a game these days?

He probably didn't have a huge tank.

Unquestionably the best player I've ever seen....it would be a shame if a player with his ability didn't get an opportunity in this era..
Well, they tried to run plugger in the ruck at times. After 10 minutes, he would be absolutely stuffed.
Last edited by saynta on Fri 17 Jul 2015 11:37am, edited 1 time in total.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Why would some bloke playing in the thirds get 5 games in the seniors?

List clogger.
Because the last time he played he didnt disgrace himself in a team that was getting thumped by 70 odd points each game.

Also we need to cut a few players seasons end.

Easiest way to see who is worth keeping is give sippa, brodie, marks, white, saunders, lee et al a run in the remain games to see what they can do. lets face it the lowest we will drop is a place or two on the ladder.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:
tony74 wrote:Trained with the main group today and was one of the few who continually could hit a target. But he just doesn't have a tank. ( no matter how hard he trains )
Does he need an enourmous tank? He's over 190cm's and will fill out into a solid man's build, he's got good hands and is a good set shot...why does he need a tank like Rooey or Bruce...there is still room in the game for forwards who just kick goals. Kicked 3 in a game last year with even less tank...Not everyone is an aerobic beast...if as you say tony he can hit a target, i dare say FFS, bring him in because hardly anyone in our side could hit a target last week and it killed us.

I know there's more too it than that, be gee whiz, membrey has been afforded so much more wriggle room for crap games, and only recently are we seeing reward for faith in him, and he still stunk it up on the weekend...White looked the goods at AFL be it temperament/skill, he's a forward and he kicked as many goals in one game as membrey did in about 5 games...he's been hard done by by this philosophy that everyone needs a huge tank to be great.

My guess is coaches are hoping he comes good but they see his faults and we don't unless we see him train and play every week. I doubt any of us do that.
Incorrect
I see him at training weekly, infact I catch up with most ss posters at the after training party and often have the team round for dinner....
What an inane, obvious ridiculous post (your previous I mean all mine are gifted).

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:
tony74 wrote:Trained with the main group today and was one of the few who continually could hit a target. But he just doesn't have a tank. ( no matter how hard he trains )
Does he need an enourmous tank? He's over 190cm's and will fill out into a solid man's build, he's got good hands and is a good set shot...why does he need a tank like Rooey or Bruce...there is still room in the game for forwards who just kick goals. Kicked 3 in a game last year with even less tank...Not everyone is an aerobic beast...if as you say tony he can hit a target, i dare say FFS, bring him in because hardly anyone in our side could hit a target last week and it killed us.

I know there's more too it than that, be gee whiz, membrey has been afforded so much more wriggle room for crap games, and only recently are we seeing reward for faith in him, and he still stunk it up on the weekend...White looked the goods at AFL be it temperament/skill, he's a forward and he kicked as many goals in one game as membrey did in about 5 games...he's been hard done by by this philosophy that everyone needs a huge tank to be great.

My guess is coaches are hoping he comes good but they see his faults and we don't unless we see him train and play every week. I doubt any of us do that.
Incorrect
I see him at training weekly, infact I catch up with most ss posters at the after training party and often have the team round for dinner....
What an inane, obvious ridiculous post (your previous I mean all mine are gifted).

Please Teflon don't upset me. People are picking on me and I don't think I deserve that after a pretty simple post. I don't see why you needed to say that. it isn't necessary at all. Im really upse so can you try and be nice to me. I didn't deserve that as I wasn't having a go at anyone.

S.A Saint
Club Player

FQF wrote:
S.A Saint wrote: The point above is with regards to ray and gilbert waltzing into the team with hardly any decent form behind them. Im going off from what i have seen last year in those 2 games which was more than most 1st gamers. I just want him to be given a fair crack at senior level considering we are not finals bound this year to see if he is worth keeping or moved on.
Your points about Ray and Gilbert are separate. You aren't alone in not wanting them in the team and giving precedence to youngsters - many on here argued the same thing. But in my opinion both Ray and Gilbert have proven track records and you don't need to be Nick Riewoldt to be too good for the VFL. Both of them played a handful of VFL games after their injuries and played well. When they are fit, they are clearly senior players. That's much more than can be said for Spencer.

As to giving Spencer a 'fair crack', I think our point of difference is whether senior games are a rite of passage or a reward for good form. Spencer has already been given 2 senior appearances in his career, and that is arguably more than he rightfully deserved. I'm not bagging him out, he's had injuries and obviously is hampered by asthma (all of which are out of his control), but you don't need to be gifted games to be given a fair crack. In fact, the contract extension that he got is his fair crack given that he certainly didn't demand it.

I've been pro Spencer in many of the previous "Spencer White" threads that pop up regularly. But given the recent turn his career has taken, dropped from Sandy seniors and doing very little in the Sandy devs team (by all reports), I think it's time to give up. If I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled, but I suspect I won't be.
I get what you mean by proven track records, i would only agree on that if we are challenging for a flag, not developing a list that needs to get games into the younger blokes that can play the same positions and are performing in the vfl.

Yea i know he has been dropped and hasnt set the world on fire, i just reckon he is a big stage player and would player better in the seniors than he does vfl (just my opinion of course)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Why would some bloke playing in the thirds get 5 games in the seniors?

List clogger.
Nailed it

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:
FQF wrote:

I get what you mean by proven track records, i would only agree on that if we are challenging for a flag, not developing a list that needs to get games into the younger blokes that can play the same positions and are performing in the vfl.

Yea i know he has been dropped and hasnt set the world on fire, i just reckon he is a big stage player and would player better in the seniors than he does vfl (just my opinion of course)
For what it is worth, I agree with you. At the start of last year, Dermie reckoned that we only had two A graders on our list , Jack Steven and Spencer White. No one with Dermies' background can be completely fooled,can they?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
FQF wrote:

For what it is worth, I agree with you. At the start of last year, Dermie reckoned that we only had two A graders on our list , Jack Steven and Spencer White. No one with Dermies' background can be completely fooled,can they?

Im doubting Dermie would have seen him play a game and if he did is the most ridiculous comment I have ever heard.

Club Player

So, he has ability, can mark and kick, can hit a target continually!!! But because he cannot cover 14 k's a game he's toast??? Unless he has limited lung function everyone can improve endurance. perseverence required.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Its really disrespectful this place. He's a good kid and doing his best. He was injured recently and returned through the Dev league. No one really knows the true reasons he's left out at the moment. Unless you are involved in the club its just speculation. He might not make it but don't bag the kid.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:

So, he has ability, can mark and kick, can hit a target continually!!! But because he cannot cover 14 k's a game he's toast??? Unless he has limited lung function everyone can improve endurance. perseverence required.

Shouldn't that be directed at the club. It seems people think that people on here pick the side. White is in the thirds because the selection committee put him there, not the posters on here.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dermie was good at playing football & he had lovely hair (in a 70's gay cowboy kind of way)

That's the only two positive things I can say about him.

His expert commentary is basically a diarrhea volcano.