Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Halo
Club Player

Spencer White

What has happened to Spencer White??

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spencer White

Halo wrote:What has happened to Spencer White??
Nothing. I just think other players have passed him. Maybe picking a couple of others in preference to him ruined his confidence. Bit like Tommy Lynch.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Cooked

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately he just isn't good enough. Doesn't do the defensive stuff and is now in our thirds. Would need a miracle to survive. Hope he gets the miracle.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Trained with the main group today and was one of the few who continually could hit a target. But he just doesn't have a tank. ( no matter how hard he trains )

S.A Saint
Club Player

I keep hearing all these references with regards to 'defensive stuff'.

last year i watched both of his games with high interest due to us having no real replacement for Roo. Now in the Richmond game i thought has has shown more potentially and actually played a very good game outmarking chaplin and bagging a few goals. Mind you this was against a richmond team that won like 9 straight and he performed reasonably against the crows a week later. Now if Paddy had a game like that we would have been hailing him the next plugger (btw i reckon he will be a star for us).

The kid has natural talent and just needs to be thrown in the deep end because he seems one of those types to perform on the big stage.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
Gordo' Sumner
Club Player
Location: nyc for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every dive i played, ffs was lucky i got paid !!!

tony74 wrote:Trained with the main group today and was one of the few who continually could hit a target. But he just doesn't have a tank. ( no matter how hard he trains )
is that due to the flowering asthma :evil: , mate ?

maybe we could just park him at full forward, g-train style ????

Fortitude Fidelity Sayntas.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gordo' Sumner wrote:
tony74 wrote:Trained with the main group today and was one of the few who continually could hit a target. But he just doesn't have a tank. ( no matter how hard he trains )
is that due to the flowering asthma :evil: , mate ?

maybe we could just park him at full forward, g-train style ????

You obviously don't have a TV because he isn't built for that and anyway at the moment those days are well and truly over.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Does he need an enourmous tank? He's over 190cm's and will fill out into a solid man's build, he's got good hands and is a good set shot...why does he need a tank like Rooey or Bruce...there is still room in the game for forwards who just kick goals. Kicked 3 in a game last year with even less tank...Not everyone is an aerobic beast...if as you say tony he can hit a target, i dare say FFS, bring him in because hardly anyone in our side could hit a target last week and it killed us.

I know there's more too it than that, be gee whiz, membrey has been afforded so much more wriggle room for crap games, and only recently are we seeing reward for faith in him, and he still stunk it up on the weekend...White looked the goods at AFL be it temperament/skill, he's a forward and he kicked as many goals in one game as membrey did in about 5 games...he's been hard done by by this philosophy that everyone needs a huge tank to be great.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:I keep hearing all these references with regards to 'defensive stuff'.

last year i watched both of his games with high interest due to us having no real replacement for Roo. Now in the Richmond game i thought has has shown more potentially and actually played a very good game outmarking chaplin and bagging a few goals. Mind you this was against a richmond team that won like 9 straight and he performed reasonably against the crows a week later. Now if Paddy had a game like that we would have been hailing him the next plugger (btw i reckon he will be a star for us).

The kid has natural talent and just needs to be thrown in the deep end because he seems one of those types to perform on the big stage.
I remember that game.....Despite White kicking 3 his opponent was BOG with 30 disposals and 15 marks. Chaplin did as he pleased and had the game of his life while Spencer parked his arse in the forward 50 not doing a damn thing about it.

spert
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:I keep hearing all these references with regards to 'defensive stuff'.

Yeah he showed definite potential in that Richmond game, more than Paddy has shown in any of his senior games this season, so I can only presume White said something nasty to Richo, or Richo is just being consistent in playing guys that can't hit a taget by foot if their life depended on it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
Does he need an enourmous tank? He's over 190cm's and will fill out into a solid man's build, he's got good hands and is a good set shot...why does he need a tank like Rooey or Bruce...there is still room in the game for forwards who just kick goals. Kicked 3 in a game last year with even less tank...Not everyone is an aerobic beast...if as you say tony he can hit a target, i dare say FFS, bring him in because hardly anyone in our side could hit a target last week and it killed us.

I know there's more too it than that, be gee whiz, membrey has been afforded so much more wriggle room for crap games, and only recently are we seeing reward for faith in him, and he still stunk it up on the weekend...White looked the goods at AFL be it temperament/skill, he's a forward and he kicked as many goals in one game as membrey did in about 5 games...he's been hard done by by this philosophy that everyone needs a huge tank to be great.

It isn't all about goals. membery plays as a lead up forward. He does ok at that. White would have his opponent run off all the time. His opponent might create more goals that White kicks. Anyway he doesn't deserve a game no matter what he did last year. Is he in our thirds? I don't think anyone is saying he needs huge tank but he needs to chase and put pressure on the opposition. My guess is coaches are hoping he comes good but they see his faults and we don't unless we see him train and play every week. I doubt any of us do that.

FQF
SS Life Member

I've given up on a Spencer led redemption. I suggest you all do the same.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:

Yeah he showed definite potential in that Richmond game, more than Paddy has shown in any of his senior games this season, so I can only presume White said something nasty to Richo, or Richo is just being consistent in playing guys that can't hit a taget by foot if their life depended on it.

Any chance hey spert. How is SW going now? Luckily the club got rid of him or we would be completely stuffed.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Hey Plugger, do you reckon Tony Lockett would get a game these days?

He probably didn't have a huge tank.

Unquestionably the best player I've ever seen....it would be a shame if a player with his ability didn't get an opportunity in this era..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Hey Plugger, do you reckon Tony Lockett would get a game these days?

Unquestionably the best player I've ever seen....it would be a shame if a player with his ability didn't get an opportunity in this era..

I don't think he would be a chance if he played how he used to play. Hopefully he would be that good he could adjust but I don't he would be chance playing like he did. And Im sorry to you and everyone else.

S.A Saint
Club Player

[quote="Old Mate"][quote="S.A Saint"]I keep hearing all these references with regards to 'defensive stuff'.

The kid has natural talent and just needs to be thrown in the deep end because he seems one of those types to perform on the big stage.[/quote]

I remember that game.....Despite White kicking 3 his opponent was BOG with 30 disposals and 15 marks. Chaplin did as he pleased and had the game of his life while Spencer parked his arse in the forward 50 not doing a damn thing about it.[/quote]

for a first game i would take that any day of the week. I could just imagine how the ball was coming in for chaplin to take those 15 marks. The ball would have been kicked 50 metres up to Roo who had 4 players on him as we done all last season without the players bothering to hit up any other targets.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:

I remember that game.....Despite White kicking 3 his opponent was BOG with 30 disposals and 15 marks. Chaplin did as he pleased and had the game of his life while Spencer parked his arse in the forward 50 not doing a damn thing about it.
for a first game i would take that any day of the week. I could just imagine how the ball was coming in for chaplin to take those 15 marks. The ball would have been kicked 50 metres up to Roo who had 4 players on him as we done all last season without the players bothering to hit up any other targets.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Toy Saint wrote:Hey Plugger, do you reckon Tony Lockett would get a game these days?

Please don't even mention Spencer Whites name in the same breathe as Tony Lockett

You are garbage - Enough said
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Reduce the interchange rotations to 16, 4 per quarter, and there would potentially be a spot of White. Players would run far less, and choose more wisely when they'd exert their energy. As such, he'd be anchored closer to goal, in a more one on one likely contest.

The interchange will not be reduced to 16. Well, not at least for 10 years until the powers that be realise that the best was forward is to go backward, as they are slowly doing now. As such, Spencer will be delisted and not picked up by any other club.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

The problem was, Spencer didn't give any chase in that game and let Chaplin do as he pleased. Seriously, it was one of the laziest games by a Saints player I've ever seen and I'm not surprised he's only played one game since. Sorry, but it was pathetic.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Considering the position we are atm (rebuild) we need to give him a run of 5 or so games to exactly see were his is at with his so called terrible tank. He played 2 games last year and didnt disgrace himself, so give him a chance to see what kind of impact he has. If he shows nothing then we can all say that he at least had a proper shot and then delist him. simple.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

The problem was, Spencer didn't give any chase in that game and let Chaplin do as he pleased. Seriously, it was one of the laziest games by a Saints player I've ever seen and I'm not surprised he's only played one game since. Sorry, but it was pathetic.
The kid probably had pre games nervous and would have us run out off puff early than expected. See post above to giving him a chance.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Sorry SA Saint but I'm with the club on this one, I just don't think Spence 'wants' it enough or doesn't have the 'make up' to make it as an AFL player. Prove me wrong Spence, I would love you to be a star.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:Considering the position we are atm (rebuild) we need to give him a run of 5 or so games to exactly see were his is at with his so called terrible tank. He played 2 games last year and didnt disgrace himself, so give him a chance to see what kind of impact he has. If he shows nothing then we can all say that he at least had a proper shot and then delist him. simple.

He doesn't deserve 5 games in a row. People say that all the time and after one or two bad games they want these players out. He is in our thirds. There are 8 games left. he needs to get in the seconds and then play well before he is selected. I would be surprised if he gets one game let alone 5. And yes we are rebuilding but we need to look at those who may or may not be delisted, not those he seem certain to go.

You need to remember these guys are playing footy so the coaches see them anyway. Its not like they are sitting on their bums and doing nothing. He isn't good enough unfortunately neither was LJ conners or Chris Oliver.