Pathetic opposition

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Pathetic opposition

bigred wrote:Give the players some credit ffs.

Watch the first half. We smashed them and barely gave them a clean possession.

In the stoppages we absolutely destroyed them inside and then lumps like Jab and BJ could not cover the outside speed. Our handball work in particular was lightning.

We flogged them. Hit targets and did the harder, team acts from start to finish. Ten goals up and we have players like Geary going back with the flight and getting smashed. Hard to find a single Essendon player do one all day.

Granted Essendon squibbed it, but we picked them apart like a pro team should.

This game is a prime example of execution of the game plan and a team backing each other.
Yep I agree. Our pressure was terrific. It broke Essendon in the first half, they had no appetite for the contest after that. They could barely get a clean possession.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

One of the biggest problems with St. Kilda was that when we had other teams beat we would take our foot off the pedal. The evidence is there; only 3 scores of over 160 points before 1991, and only 3 wins by 100 points+. In the last 20 years we have kicked 17 scores of 160 points or more, and had 16 100 point + victories. In a competition when you have your foot on the throat of your opponents, you apply pressure, you don't release it. Good sides do that; ruthless sides do that, and that is something that we haven't done enough of historically, and a possible reason that we haven't won at least 4 premierships.
27 points ahead of Hawthorn 1971 GF - lost
25 points ahead of Adelaide 1997 GF - lost
20 points ahead of Geelong 2009 GF lost

The final 6 games of the year will tell us a tale or two. We should lose all of them, and I think we will, but North and Port are looking shakey, so we should be able to at least compete against them. The fact that both of those matches are interstate adds to the difficulty level. I would love us to give North a touch up for the Tassie Sainters though.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

As Kenny Sheldon said after the 1992 first Semi, "You can kick up a rumpus but don't lose the compass".

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
spert
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:One of the biggest problems with St. Kilda was that when we had other teams beat we would take our foot off the pedal. The evidence is there; only 3 scores of over 160 points before 1991, and only 3 wins by 100 points+. In the last 20 years we have kicked 17 scores of 160 points or more, and had 16 100 point + victories. In a competition when you have your foot on the throat of your opponents, you apply pressure, you don't release it. Good sides do that; ruthless sides do that, and that is something that we haven't done enough of historically, and a possible reason that we haven't won at least 4 premierships.
27 points ahead of Hawthorn 1971 GF - lost
25 points ahead of Adelaide 1997 GF - lost
20 points ahead of Geelong 2009 GF lost

The final 6 games of the year will tell us a tale or two. We should lose all of them, and I think we will, but North and Port are looking shakey, so we should be able to at least compete against them. The fact that both of those matches are interstate adds to the difficulty level. I would love us to give North a touch up for the Tassie Sainters though.
Annoying losses those. Coaches not willing to take a risk tactically. All was OK in '71 until Kennedy outsmarted Jeansy and used Keddie to swing the game, then against Adelaide, Blight outsmarted Alves and used Jarman one out in the forward line to swing the game, although we missed Vidovic, the game was winnable. In '09 all we needed was one forward to stand up in the last quarter but it wasn't to be- a really disappointing outcome to a great year, and the lack of tactical risk-taking by Lyon probably cost us at least one premiership, and may be the reason he won't get one with Freo if they get to the GF. I'm hoping that when we magically slip into the eight by the last game this season, that Richo takes a few risks!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I was disappointed in Lyon's coaching in the GF he took Freo to against the Hawks a couple of years ago. Coaches like Jeans and Blight learned from past mistakes and won Flags with their second clubs. Lyon played it safe and had yet another slim loss in a GF. No-one plays for second and I think if Freo finishes the year on top of the lader and he loses the GF, he needs to move on.

karnaby
Club Player

spert wrote:I'm hoping that when we magically slip into the eight by the last game this season, that Richo takes a few risks!
:D

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I hate how the gloss has been taken off our huge win by everyone saying it was Essendon's lack of effort that made the result happen. Absolute BS!

No, it was the mighty Saints' stupendous effort and great improvement of skills around the ground which enabled us to turn it all around from the last time we played that mob. Also, bad football can be infectious and can have the potential to drag both teams participating to an ugly level. We didn't get dragged down one millimeter to Essendon's level. We were ruthless and put them to the sword.

Great work by the entire team Go Saints!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Agreed the Injectors were off, like they were in withdrawal, but it does not detract from our pressure and wonderful football for the entire game.

Our pressure was manic and the gameplan that is being played will only improve as the team matures.

Jono Brown likened our tackling and numbers at the ball like a pack of wild dogs. I loved that analogy.

Anyway all I wanted from this season was pressure on the opposition and a belief that our gameplan was taking shape and our youngsters were improving.

Well I have not been disappointed.

Anyway here is something to ponder by way of stats.

We are averaging 20 more points a gams and conceeding 14 points less than in 2014.

This is a 34 point or nearly 6 goal a game improvement.

that is where we are at. On average a six goal better team than last year.

You are garbage - Enough said
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Agreed the Injectors were off, like they were in withdrawal, but it does not detract from our pressure and wonderful football for the entire game.

Our pressure was manic and the gameplan that is being played will only improve as the team matures.

Jono Brown likened our tackling and numbers at the ball like a pack of wild dogs. I loved that analogy.

Anyway all I wanted from this season was pressure on the opposition and a belief that our gameplan was taking shape and our youngsters were improving.

We are averaging 20 more points a gams and conceeding 14 points less than in 2014.

Statistically, that is a huge improvement.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

We are averaging 20 more points a gams and conceeding 14 points less than in 2014.This is a 34 point or nearly 6 goal a game improvement.that is where we are at. On average a six goal better team than last year.
thats a nice way of lookn at things.
mmmm.go us.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
karnaby
Club Player

Further to Bunk's point about scoring: one of the markers that people really wanted to see improvement in this year was our percentage. That has improved dramatically and flogging the drug cheats was a major contributor, thank you.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Austinnn
Club Player

I just watched the 1st Q again, and I think it was a case of us being good rather than them being bad. First to the ball, strong marking, seniors leading and directing, pinpoint passing most of the time, sustained pressure after turnovers, Richo must have loved that.

I think GWS are gonna have to bring more than talent on the weekend.

And watching it again just reenforces the suspicion that James Hird can't coach. Just look at him sat there with the phone in his hand like he's stuck in a big automated customer support phone queue: press one if your team is being handed their arse by a hungrier unit. Please hold...

I haven't watched much footy since Richo became coach, but last year when he witnessed a few beltings, did he just sit there with that "what are these jokers doing out there?" Look on his face? I bet he didn't, cos he was thinking about how to coach his team through it. Why is Hird even in the box? He might as well have been in a corporate box. He is dog food as soon as the drugs thing is over, nothing surer, and its only his lack of humility stopping him from stepping down now.

Just look at the pressure on their players too. Look at Hooker, lining up for a shot when there was only a couple of goals between us early in the first. Full on crapping himself. This is not a team that is supporting each other or playing for each other.

That is a club with cancer, great to see us looking so much better in every facet. I wouldn't want a bar of any player infected by the Dons disease, not Carlisle, Goddard or anyone. Maybe we can give them one of our second string for a 'Jack Lonie' pick in the draft.

I'm loving the promise if this season so far!
Last edited by Austinnn on Tue 07 Jul 2015 4:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Agreed the Injectors were off, like they were in withdrawal, but it does not detract from our pressure and wonderful football for the entire game.

Watching it there is even bigger improvement.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Watching it there is even bigger improvement.
Agree, anecdotaly we look so much better. My stats were just a different view to the "essendon were crap, dont get excited" view.

Yes Essendon were poor but it was the relentless pressure from the Saints that was a significant contributor to them pulling the pin.

We are a young team and will be dissapointed with some future games but I am truly surprised on how much we have improved.

I did not expect this type of improvement. Helps with a healthy list as well.

You are garbage - Enough said
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Jobe now out for the season

But on stats and numbers and where we are at
on 'On the Couch ' last night or was it talking footy...one or the other
they had a list of 'Key numbers' I'm thinking disposals etc.
and where last year we were 15- 18 in all- in the ones they showed we were now around 3-5

anyone else get it?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Jobe now out for the season
Does that mean his part is being written out of BJ's movie? :P

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:As Kenny Sheldon said after the 1992 first Semi, "You can kick up a rumpus but don't lose the compass".
How'd we go in the next match?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Pathetic opposition

perfectionist wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:As Kenny Sheldon said after the 1992 first Semi, "You can kick up a rumpus but don't lose the compass".
How'd we go in the next match?
Due South.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bombers werent 'off' their game.....they stopped trying FFS....their players walked through the middle while we streamed forward.

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

They aren't the first team to throw in the towel midway through a game. But it took the St. Kilda pressure to create the atmospheric catharsis which allowed it to happen. We broke their spirit. That's how you build the fear factor - individuals in footy sides think that you are able to humiliate them and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The psychology of the crowd. This is what made Geelong such a top side for so long, and why Hawthorn are so good now.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bombers were off but so what. I still enjoyed it.

I enjoyed this and the comeback wins against the floggies and the Dees as well. Magnificent.

I didn't enjoy them as much as the Prelim and final wins but still I soaked it up.

Enjoy what you can. We were great.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:They aren't the first team to throw in the towel midway through a game. But it took the St. Kilda pressure to create the atmospheric catharsis which allowed it to happen. We broke their spirit. That's how you build the fear factor - individuals in footy sides think that you are able to humiliate them and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The psychology of the crowd. This is what made Geelong such a top side for so long, and why Hawthorn are so good now.

Exactly. The game is won early then you need to kill them off. This is what the flogs failed to do in the comeback game.

The final score line is obviously misleading but who cares.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
No, he's getting his own film, Doc. It's about an Anzac hero who has to leave the trenches as he's reverted back to his chubby slow true self after the drugs wear off and he becomes an assistant coach for the West Coast Eagles...

It's called 'Simpson's Donkey'.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
No, he's getting his own film, Doc. It's about an Anzac hero who has to leave the trenches as he's reverted back to his chubby slow true self after the drugs wear off and he becomes an assistant coach for the West Coast Eagles...

It's called 'Simpson's Donkey'.

"Well may we say "God save Simpson's Donkey"...

...because nothing will save Hird's Ass!"

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Gold as usual, Doc...gold!