Patrick Cripps

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Re: Patrick Cripps

Acres will be the best player from that draft

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Acres will be the best player from that draft
Big call. I hope you are right

dragit
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
dragit wrote:Dunstan & Cripps are two months apart and their stats are basically identical.
Their stats aren't even close. Cripps is having a much better year, clearly the best performed this season from the 2013 draft.

Dunstan:

17.4 disposals (8.4 contested)
66.7% efficiency
2.6 marks
3.9 tackles
3.4 clearances

Cripps:

22.7 disposals (13.7 contested)
71.4 efficiency
2.8 marks
5.6 tackles
6.3 clearances

I don't think there's any need to moan though. Cripps is looking like a long-term top 5 player from that draft but there are still plenty of other guys with lots of improvement left. Dunstan was a very good selection at pick 18 and should be a solid 200-gamer. If you get a 200-game player with any selection it's a good outcome
Career ave so far
Dunstan
18 disp
9.4 kick
8.8 HB
3.2 marks
0.6 goals
3.8 tackles

Cripps
19 disp
6.2 kicks
13.3 HB
2.5 marks
0.3 goals
5 tackles

1 disposal between them a week, pretty sure Cripps has been playing more midfield and game time than Dunstan this year too.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
dragit wrote:Dunstan & Cripps are two months apart and their stats are basically identical.
Their stats aren't even close. Cripps is having a much better year, clearly the best performed this season from the 2013 draft.

Dunstan:

66.7% efficiency
2.6 marks
3.9 tackles
3.4 clearances

Cripps:

71.4 efficiency
2.8 marks
5.6 tackles
6.3 clearances

I don't think there's any need to moan though. Cripps is looking like a long-term top 5 player from that draft but there are still plenty of other guys with lots of improvement left. Dunstan was a very good selection at pick 18 and should be a solid 200-gamer. If you get a 200-game player with any selection it's a good outcome
Career ave so far....
1 disposal between them a week, pretty sure Cripps has been playing more midfield and game time than Dunstan this year too.
The key stat missing there. Cripps average TOG in 2014: 51%. His first year was massively affected by the sub rule (and the fact that he was coming back after a broken leg). He is a long, long way ahead of Dunstan right now but I don't know why we need to be concerned with that. Billings looks a genuine gun who is in it for the long term and Dunstan was a great selection at 18. If Cripps was still available and we picked Dunstan and Acres then some discussion could be warranted, but I'm very happy with our pair. It is plain denial to argue that Dunstan is as good as Cripps right now though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
dragit wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Dunstan:

66.7% efficiency
2.6 marks
3.9 tackles
3.4 clearances

Cripps:

71.4 efficiency
2.8 marks
5.6 tackles
6.3 clearances

Career ave so far....
The key stat missing there. Cripps average TOG in 2014: 51%. His first year was massively affected by the sub rule (and the fact that he was coming back after a broken leg). He is a long, long way ahead of Dunstan right now but I don't know why we need to be concerned with that. Billings looks a genuine gun who is in it for the long term and Dunstan was a great selection at 18. If Cripps was still available and we picked Dunstan and Acres then some discussion could be warranted, but I'm very happy with our pair. It is plain denial to argue that Dunstan is as good as Cripps right now though.

Must agree and even more importantly why does it matter? Carlton have got many picks wrong over the last few years. Big deal if they get this one right. maybe he will be better than both Dunstan or Billings but Billings will be a gun anyway and Dunstan should be a very solid player in the long run.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Patrick Cripps

In my mind Cripps is and will be a better footballer than Dunstan. I love the way Dunstan goes about it however Cripps is a similar player with similar attributes but does most things better. Both inside midfielders, Cripps the more dominant, and quite easily.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
dragit wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Dunstan:

66.7% efficiency
2.6 marks
3.9 tackles
3.4 clearances

Cripps:

71.4 efficiency
2.8 marks
5.6 tackles
6.3 clearances

Career ave so far....
He only played 3 games in 2014.

Time on ground this year for Cripps 78% for 22 disp

Time on ground last year for Dunstan 68% for 18 disp

Cripps may well be the better player this year, but saying their stats are no-where near each other is ridiculous.

As it stands their career stats are very close.

Agree with the rest of your post though, we didn't have Pick 13, so it's not an issue unless billings completely flops.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
dragit wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Dunstan:

66.7% efficiency
2.6 marks
3.9 tackles
3.4 clearances

Cripps:

71.4 efficiency
2.8 marks
5.6 tackles
6.3 clearances

Career ave so far....
He only played 3 games in 2014.

Time on ground this year for Cripps 78% for 22 disp

Time on ground last year for Dunstan 68% for 18 disp

Cripps may well be the better player this year, but saying their stats are no-where near each other is ridiculous.

As it stands their career stats are very close.

Agree with the rest of your post though, we didn't have Pick 13, so it's not an issue unless billings completely flops.
He would have had to play through a broken leg last year. I was on to him at draft time and was howled down for wanting another member of the family of spuds. He had some incredible junior games in WA by the sound of it and was in hindsight under valued.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Cripps wasn't regarded as a first rounder until late in the year. Many believe Carlton reached at picking him at 13. Throughout the champs in his draft year he was an extremely dominant contested player however very limited in his outside game. His fitness was also extremely poor. The Blues cop a lot of heat regarding their recent recruiting however it must be acknowledged that they made a very good call picking Cripps at 13.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Cripps wasn't regarded as a first rounder until late in the year. Many believe Carlton reached at picking him at 13. Throughout the champs in his draft year he was an extremely dominant contested player however very limited in his outside game. His fitness was also extremely poor. The Blues cop a lot of heat regarding their recent recruiting however it must be acknowledged that they made a very good call picking Cripps at 13.

And lets be honest here. Even if he becomes the best player in the AFL there was no way we were going to take him at pick 3. I doubt any single club would have including Carlton.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Cripps wasn't regarded as a first rounder until late in the year. Many believe Carlton reached at picking him at 13. Throughout the champs in his draft year he was an extremely dominant contested player however very limited in his outside game. His fitness was also extremely poor. The Blues cop a lot of heat regarding their recent recruiting however it must be acknowledged that they made a very good call picking Cripps at 13.

And lets be honest here. Even if he becomes the best player in the AFL there was no way we were going to take him at pick 3. I doubt any single club would have including Carlton.
Of course not, he wasn't rated anywhere near pick 3. I'm loving what Cripps is doing however he's had a head start already being a big mature kid. I still don't believe he become a top 5 player from his draft.

Without the benefit of hindsight, Boyd, McCarthy, Kelly, Billings and Bont will have better careers IMO.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:In my mind Cripps is and will be a better footballer than Dunstan. I love the way Dunstan goes about it however Cripps is a similar player with similar attributes but does most things better. Both inside midfielders, Cripps the more dominant, and quite easily.
Right here and now one would rate Cripps above Dunstan. Though Dunstan wasa later pick.

Cripps as a pick #13 is a great pick for the Blues. A clear out perform relative to the pick.

Dunstan I am more than happy with given where he was taken. Also an out-perform, but not by as a big a margin as Cripps is.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 01 Jul 2015 1:24am, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Don't worry about Cripps, how is Dunstan faring vs Lenny at same stage?
In regards to going off early, let's consider 2001 Rising star nom's.
Beetham and Begley nominated and Kozi won the thing.
Not how you start but how you go over a career!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Cripps will be a star but so will Dunstan and as others have said given that Cripps wasn't even available at the pick we snagged Dunstan with, who cares.

We did really well to get the three players we did with our picks and I have absolutely no complaints even though I believe that Bontempeli will be the best player from the draft.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Bont will be a very good player however I believe he's overhyped. His season has been underwhelming.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

We couldn't select Cripps unless it was with pick three. And I'd take Billings every day of the week. That draft was a bit of a super draft, lucky for us we had three first rounders who all look like they could potentially be a graders.

Luke looks to be playing injured, he doesn't seem 100%, but he has probably got a little bit of second year blues combined with dealing with a changing body shape due to the realisation he was intolerant of a couple of things.

Cripps is a beast, a very good player so far this year, but these guys have played a handful of games halfway through their second season, let's decide who was better at the conclusion of their career - until then, both have shown a fair bit of ability and leadership.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Megamaguire
Club Player

Patrick Cripps

Very happy with Billings - I thought the club did some great homework leading up to going with JB.
I heard the Saints were also interested in P.Cripps and had done some homework into him as well. Before draft day i was hoping Patrick Cripps would make it through to us but Carl. made their move. If the Saints were well into Cripps as well it also shows our recruiting team are switched on.
Full Steam Ahead.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't think anyone wanted him instead of Billings more instead of Dunstan. He will be a gun but Dunstan goes alright too. Carlton haven't done much in the way of recruiting with top 5 picks but seem to be winning with the later first round picks. Menzel is a beauty too.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

If we didn't pick Billings, we most likely would not also have ended up with Sinclair.

Best 2 for 1 deal ever.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:If we didn't pick Billings, we most likely would not also have ended up with Sinclair.

Best 2 for 1 deal ever.
Especially if he becomes an A grader for free. Billings is a really good pick and will give us plenty of high class out put for a long time. He is the most likely A grader we have on our list IMO. The class is just oozing from him.