Match thread v dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match thread v dogs

We were not good tonight. 19 marks they took from our kicks. We were lucky to be that close. Lets be honest, the Bulldogs are not a great side and will be bottom 6 guaranteed. Can we play better? Of course we can, but I wouldn't take much from tonight's performance. We were very rusty and were beaten by a younger side. In round 6 we had the younger side and won the game. Tonight they had the younger side and won the game. We need experience in our side, but it needs to be an intelligent balance.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:We were not good tonight. 19 marks they took from our kicks. We were lucky to be that close. Lets be honest, the Bulldogs are not a great side and will be bottom 6 guaranteed. Can we play better? Of course we can, but I wouldn't take much from tonight's performance. We were very rusty and were beaten by a younger side. In round 6 we had the younger side and won the game. Tonight they had the younger side and won the game. We need experience in our side, but it needs to be an intelligent balance.
???? according to this we were good. Lucky to be close? or simply should have won. We were watching the same game right?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

saintbob wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Win or lose this is the worst game I have watched all year and Richos worst coaching performance! The guy simply does not have a plan B or one piece of coaching acumen when undr pressure! If its not in his pre game plan its not on, he needs to get someone with more of a feel for the game in the box with him.
Where did that come from?
WTF, may I suggest you get someone to sit in the lounge room with you and have them help you understand the game a little bit more so you don't make ridiculous posts like this one!!!
The game plan was fine for the first 1/4 but when we couldnt kick a score and allowed our key forwards to be double and triple teamed for the remainder WHAT did Richo do? Just in case you dont know the answer I will tell you - NOTHING!

Losing a game what with some decent flexible coaching strategies we should have won by 5 goals in my reckoning is not a great night for the coach!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

saintbob wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Win or lose this is the worst game I have watched all year and Richos worst coaching performance! The guy simply does not have a plan B or one piece of coaching acumen when undr pressure! If its not in his pre game plan its not on, he needs to get someone with more of a feel for the game in the box with him.
Where did that come from?
WTF, may I suggest you get someone to sit in the lounge room with you and have them help you understand the game a little bit more so you don't make ridiculous posts like this one!!!
The game plan was fine for the first 1/4 but when we couldnt kick a score and allowed our key forwards to be double and triple teamed for the remainder WHAT did Richo do? Just in case you dont know the answer I will tell you - NOTHING!

Losing a game what with some decent flexible coaching strategies we should have won by 5 goals in my reckoning is not a great night for the coach!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We were not good tonight. 19 marks they took from our kicks. We were lucky to be that close. Lets be honest, the Bulldogs are not a great side and will be bottom 6 guaranteed. Can we play better? Of course we can, but I wouldn't take much from tonight's performance. We were very rusty and were beaten by a younger side. In round 6 we had the younger side and won the game. Tonight they had the younger side and won the game. We need experience in our side, but it needs to be an intelligent balance.
???? according to this we were good. Lucky to be close? or simply should have won. We were watching the same game right?

I dont know how many of you were at the game tonight, but to say we were lucky to be close is just an ignorant and stupid comment.

We absolutely dominated the game and really threw the game away with turnover after turnover and butchering it in front of goal.

Really happy with the effort but extremely frustrating to lose a game against such mediocre opposition.

Really they paid what for that no.17 spud?. Fair Dinkum really a lot of money for a GoP.

Footscray booing Ray and Riewoldt again showed their class.

You are garbage - Enough said
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

RIewoldt single handedly denied the dogs 2 grand final, appearances. Such is the might of Nick Riewoldt. Of course they will boo him.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

would have liked to be there tonight Joff..I enjoyed the game despite the crappy turnovers after half time. The whole time in the back of my head I'm thinking next season is something to look forward to. We have quality kids to come in.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I thought the same thing.

That was an extremely entertaining game, despite losing.
The future is something to look forward to.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:

Yeah I was watching. How many sides have won games at Etihad with the roof shut after scoring 7.14 and kicking it to the opposition 19 times?
Honestly, tell me how many. Tell many how many games have been won from all games played.

If we serve that against a half decent side, we lose by 60+

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

Yeah I was watching. How many sides have won games at Etihad with the roof shut after scoring 7.14 and kicking it to the opposition 19 times?
Honestly, tell me how many. Tell many how many games have been won from all games played.

If we serve that against a half decent side, we lose by 60+
So Footscray is in the same boat ? Our turnovers in the second half were ordinary but to say we weren't good is selling them short. It was a really hard contest and some decent skills shown by both sides. We will improve, I think we all know that but you are way of track in your criticism

eel33
Club Player

Although we lost and the turmovers and poor kicking for goal was disappointing, what I have comeaway from the game liking was the clear demonstration thatwe do have a Plan B. Last time we played the Dogs it was run and gun. The coaching staff realized we couldn't allowthat again, and instead we set up for a defensive zoned game. As it turned out, so did the Dogs to alarge extent. But on the whole, we executed a game styledesigned to control a team which is ahead of us, and faster than us, at this stage, and it largely worked.

If we serve that against a half decent side, we may not win (yet), but we give ourselves a chance. IMO.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

eel33 wrote:Although we lost and the turmovers and poor kicking for goal was disappointing, what I have comeaway from the game liking was the clear demonstration thatwe do have a Plan B. Last time we played the Dogs it was run and gun. The coaching staff realized we couldn't allowthat again, and instead we set up for a defensive zoned game. As it turned out, so did the Dogs to alarge extent. But on the whole, we executed a game styledesigned to control a team which is ahead of us, and faster than us, at this stage, and it largely worked.

If we serve that against a half decent side, we may not win (yet), but we give ourselves a chance. IMO.
This.

I thought we would loose by 10 goals. their run worried me. It was quite clear they were stopping their run and trying to wear them down.

The kids did their part. Unfortunately the so called experienced players let them down

I do not include Rooey in that who was clearly hampered but still busted his gut

Freebird
Club Player

He dropped to his knees in the prelim when constantly bumped by bulldog players and won a free for goal before last quarter (i think) began.

Makes you wonder about Johnson / romero / west etc who used to fall over without being touched

dsav
Club Player

Photo album now up.
http://www.davesavell.com/p405163071

Dave
@SavellDave

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I liked the way we finished the gane still running but we just couldn't get over the line one of those games that could've gone either way.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I liked the way we finished the gane still running but we just couldn't get over the line one of those games that could've gone either way.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Apart from losing us $20 000 Delaney had an excellent game, I thought Longer was outstanding too, he was really ramming the ball out of the middle, probably his best game. Schneider was excellent and creative, Rooey, Farren and Joey were looking like it was 2009 still, Steven was great besides his turn overs, Dunstan was really good finding space and looked much quicker than usual. Geary and Weller limited their players while getting it themselves and Newnes showed why we have rated him so highly, he had an epic game, his marking is incredible for a guy his size. Roberto has also been great all year and had another great game. Over all we kicked ourselves out of it in front of goal, we probably sure up a bottom 4 spot while offering a heap of promise for the future and have just put another ounce of self belief into the kids. The future looks bright. Malthouse the other night said we were going to be s*** for a lot longer so good to nail another bit of his credibility to the wall too. We will be a very good side in the not to distant future. There is a Geelong vibe to this side to me.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Apart from losing us $20 000 Delaney had an excellent game, I thought Longer was outstanding too, he was really ramming the ball out of the middle, probably his best game. Schneider was excellent and creative, Rooey, Farren and Joey were looking like it was 2009 still, Steven was great besides his turn overs, Dunstan was really good finding space and looked much quicker than usual. Geary and Weller limited their players while getting it themselves and Newnes showed why we have rated him so highly, he had an epic game, his marking is incredible for a guy his size. Roberto has also been great all year and had another great game. Over all we kicked ourselves out of it in front of goal, we probably sure up a bottom 4 spot while offering a heap of promise for the future and have just put another ounce of self belief into the kids. The future looks bright. Malthouse the other night said we were going to be s*** for a lot longer so good to nail another bit of his credibility to the wall too. We will be a very good side in the not to distant future. There is a Geelong vibe to this side to me.
A very good summation of last night gringo.

I cant make a comparision betwen last game and this as I only saw the second half on an ipad when we won, happy to defer to others who saw a completely different game plan to stop their run.

If so the team did well as did Richo and the coaches.

In the big picture,this season I wanted endeavour and effort with a consistent game plan. We are getting that every game, our pressure is a signature of our game and we are getting some real improvement from the young ones coming through.

So in the light of a new day, while frustrated with the loss, I reckon the team as a whole would have learnt a heap from both last night and the last quarter against Melbourne. We need to learn to get through the flood and not bomb it into the 50 and when we get a chance we just have to finish.

This will come but the transition is well on the way and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Apart from losing us $20 000 Delaney had an excellent game, I thought Longer was outstanding too, he was really ramming the ball out of the middle, probably his best game. Schneider was excellent and creative, Rooey, Farren and Joey were looking like it was 2009 still, Steven was great besides his turn overs, Dunstan was really good finding space and looked much quicker than usual. Geary and Weller limited their players while getting it themselves and Newnes showed why we have rated him so highly, he had an epic game, his marking is incredible for a guy his size. Roberto has also been great all year and had another great game. Over all we kicked ourselves out of it in front of goal, we probably sure up a bottom 4 spot while offering a heap of promise for the future and have just put another ounce of self belief into the kids. The future looks bright. Malthouse the other night said we were going to be s*** for a lot longer so good to nail another bit of his credibility to the wall too. We will be a very good side in the not to distant future. There is a Geelong vibe to this side to me.

I probably am showing my bias here but I cant have Longer having an excellent game. You must at least look like you can mark the ball as a ruckman. I actually would have taken him off once Minson went off and just rucked anyone. It was a real running game and he found it hard because of that. Apart from him though I think you have it all pretty right. It was a game we should have won. We dominated the first and last quarters and broke even in the second but losing the third quarter cost us. They made us pay in that quarter.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Richardsons presser. I don't think he coached badly at all contrary to a few opinions on here

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/alan-r ... 7418256085

Posting 20 years of holey crap!