Game v Doggies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Game v Doggies

Should be a cracker

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

HS reporting that the floggies are looking to extract revenge.

I hope that unlikeable Jake Stringer can play out the game before mouthing off to Roo what a has been he is.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:HS reporting that the floggies are looking to extract revenge.

I hope that unlikeable Jake Stringer can play out the game before mouthing off to Roo what a has been he is.

Unlikeable Stringer. Seems ok to me. Hope he struggles next week though. Very good player though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Unlikeable Stringer. Seems ok to me. Hope he struggles next week though. Very good player though.
I don't particularly like him as he comes across as an arrogant swine.

He's a good player against lowly teams; a flat track bully if you ask me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We would be doing cart wheels if he played for us. Shouldn't say the though. He plays for someone else.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We would be doing cart wheels if he played for us. Shouldn't say the though. He plays for someone else.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He's a good player but who cares. He doesn't play for us.

How do you think he went against us last time? He didn't exactly end up covering himself in glory.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He's a good player but who cares. He doesn't play for us.

How do you think he went against us last time? He didn't exactly end up covering himself in glory.

Very ordinary. Im unsure the point of the question though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That's one reason why I don't like him.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Like so many games, it will be won in the midfield, and Armo, Steven and Dunstan need to get a lot of the ball, and do a lot more off the ball defensively as well. Our defence is pretty ordinary and that may be our undoing I think- might be worth giving Lee and Goddard a run, as Delaney is just off the pace a bit this season, and we need a bit more marking power down there.

FQF
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Like so many games, it will be won in the midfield, and Armo, Steven and Dunstan need to get a lot of the ball, and do a lot more off the ball defensively as well. Our defence is pretty ordinary and that may be our undoing I think- might be worth giving Lee and Goddard a run, as Delaney is just off the pace a bit this season, and we need a bit more marking power down there.
The dogs forward line firepower comes from its mid and small sized forwards and we have good quality in that area. Delaney will cover Boyd so there doesn't seem to be any match ups for Hugh or Lee. Especially if Fisher comes in as expected.

saintjake
Club Player

It should be a good match, but looking at some team stats, the dogs should smash us.

Clearances
Dogs 9th
Saints 17th

Stoppages
Dogs 6th
Saints 17th

Contested Possessions
Dogs 6th
Saints 14th

Interestingly though, we lead them in Hitouts
Dogs 13th
Saints 9th

Amazing that we rank 9th across the league for hitouts yet 14th for centre square clearances & 17th for clearances & stoppages. Does this say more about where the ruckman is hitting it or how our mids are reading it?

Murphy is also 7th across the league for rebound 50's so stopping him is important.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Interestingly though, we lead them in Hitouts
Dogs 13th
Saints 9th

Amazing that we rank 9th across the league for hitouts yet 14th for centre square clearances & 17th for clearances & stoppages. Does this say more about where the ruckman is hitting it or how our mids are reading it?
We're ahead of them for hitouts because they persisted with Ayce Cordy as their number one ruck for a surprisingly long time. Hitouts is a fairly useless stat on its own though. And they're ahead of us in clearances because they have a deeper, better performing inside midfield brigade. I like Dunstan and think he'll be a very good player, but right now he's essentially our third inside clearance player behind Armo and Steven and his output will not get close to his equivalent opposition player most weeks. Weller is a quality negator but doesn't get enough of the ball to give us an advantage from a starting mid as well. Hopefully Ross can help in this regard.

saintjake
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
saintjake wrote:Interestingly though, we lead them in Hitouts
Dogs 13th
Saints 9th

We're ahead of them for hitouts because they persisted with Ayce Cordy as their number one ruck for a surprisingly long time. Hitouts is a fairly useless stat on its own though. And they're ahead of us in clearances because they have a deeper, better performing inside midfield brigade. I like Dunstan and think he'll be a very good player, but right now he's essentially our third inside clearance player behind Armo and Steven and his output will not get close to his equivalent opposition player most weeks. Weller is a quality negator but doesn't get enough of the ball to give us an advantage from a starting mid as well. Hopefully Ross can help in this regard.
100% agree on the midfield depths before we get to our fifth best clearance player the dogs have 8 players.
Clearances
Saints
11- Armo
45- Steven
71- Dunstan
98- Schneider
110-Longer

Dogs
40- Wallis
40- Dahlhaus
60 -Macrae
60 - Bont
76- Picken
80-Stevens
98-Jong
104-Minson

It really is a blight on our midfielders that Longer and Schneider are in our top 5 clearances players

saintjake
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Hitouts is a fairly useless stat on its own though.
Really disagree with this statement.
7 out of the top 10 teams for hitouts are also in the top 10 for clearances.
I'd say there is a pretty direct correlation between winning hitouts and winning clearances, aside from us. We go from 10th in hitouts to LAST in clearances.
I can't find a stat on hitouts to advantage, but if Longer has a good advantage, what the hell are our mids doing.

Hitouts
1- Freo
2- Eagles
3- Port
4- North
5- Swans
6- Melb
7- Hawks
8- Giants
9- Lions
10- Saints

Clearances
1-Port
2- Crows
3- Freo
4- North
5- Hawks
6- Eagles
7- Melb
8- Giants
9- Carlton
10- Dog

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Like so many games, it will be won in the midfield, and Armo, Steven and Dunstan need to get a lot of the ball, and do a lot more off the ball defensively as well. Our defence is pretty ordinary and that may be our undoing I think- might be worth giving Lee and Goddard a run, as Delaney is just off the pace a bit this season, and we need a bit more marking power down there.

Second time you have suggested our mids don't do enough defensively. How do you think other sides have gone against Armo and Steven defensively this year? Mids don't really play on each other unless tagging. They certainly haven't played on Armo or Steven to much this year or if they have they have failed.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Dogs will still be recovering from the 5th biggest comeback in history.

Will be close this time around, & I only hope that Stringer gets into Roo before half time AGAIN.

At least Roo lets his footy do the talking.

saintjake
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Second time you have suggested our mids don't do enough defensively. How do you think other sides have gone against Armo and Steven defensively this year? Mids don't really play on each other unless tagging. They certainly haven't played on Armo or Steven to much this year or if they have they have failed.
Steven 9th in the league for tackles
Armo is 23rd
and are a game behind some of the people in front of them due to the bye rounds.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:Dogs will still be recovering from the 5th biggest comeback in history.

Will be close this time around, & I only hope that Stringer gets into Roo before half time AGAIN.

At least Roo lets his footy do the talking.
And then he wasn't fit enough to play out the game.

When was the last time Roo couldn't play out a game?

spert
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Armo is 23rd
and are a game behind some of the people in front of them due to the bye rounds.
Our mids and onballers are doing well in some areas, but so are their opponents and that's what is hurting us in our losses (and the almost loss to Melbourne), and listening to AR's coach's box audio against Melbourne, he was pretty concerned about being mids being second to the ball. If you are second to the ball, then you will be doing a lot more tackling, and up will go your stats, but unless he is being used as a tagger, Steven needs to be getting first useage of the ball a lot more, though I wont knock his effort.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
saintjake wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Armo is 23rd
Our mids and onballers are doing well in some areas, but so are their opponents and that's what is hurting us in our losses (and the almost loss to Melbourne), and listening to AR's coach's box audio against Melbourne, he was pretty concerned about being mids being second to the ball. If you are second to the ball, then you will be doing a lot more tackling, and up will go your stats, but unless he is being used as a tagger, Steven needs to be getting first useage of the ball a lot more, though I wont knock his effort.

He is one of the leading possession winners as is Armo. I don't understand what you are on about. Yep the midfield is struggling because of depth but not because of Armo or Steven. The last thing we need is our 2 highest possession winners to be worried about stopping their opponents. That will certainly make them second to the ball.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Schneider out and Ross in should help the midfield numbers. Let's hope he stays out

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Schneider out and Ross in should help the midfield numbers. Let's hope he stays out

I think he helps the side and believe you may meltdown this week. Pity you cant watch a player through 2 eyes. Might help you sound like you understand the game better.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote: Murphy is also 7th across the league for rebound 50's so stopping him is important.
Boyd as well - he is also playing a rebounding role from the backline and doing it very very well

Get the feeling we might be up against it this weekend - Dogs had their week off and came out and smashed the Brions and will now be primed

You would think the week off would be in our favour but time and time again it is shown not to be the case

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!