Umpiring.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Umpiring.

Old member, I'll admit I've posted here about 3 times in four years, still love the saints as much as ever, but have found myself away from the boards for the larger part.

I know I have seen topics on here recently, and I'm sure my old friend plugger 66 will be the first to reply with a good explanation for each ump, but my word are the officials killing our young team, surely I'm not the only one who sees it.

I'm far from biased or one-eyed, I'm very objective but jeez I reckon there was 8-9 decisions that went against us this evening that could have changed the game. The starting point being our pressure and lack of holding the ball decisions.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it's sur frustrating

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpiring.

When you lay 99 tackles and only just get on the end of a couple of holding the balls something's wrong. Roo and Bruce get nothing which is bizarre while you can do what you like to Armo.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:When you lay 99 tackles and only just get on the end of a couple of holding the balls something's wrong. Roo and Bruce get nothing which is bizarre while you can do what you like to Armo.

Curly tell us all the wrong decisions in that or is it just your rule that when you lay 99 tackles there must be a certain amount of holding the balls. The umpiring was good yesterday considering we probably didn't the best ones because of 2 bottom sides. I just enjoyed the win. It seems others want to worry about things that the club cant control. And I bet Warburton where on the bad end of decisions this week as they normally are. You do see the link, don't you.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:When you lay 99 tackles and only just get on the end of a couple of holding the balls something's wrong. Roo and Bruce get nothing which is bizarre while you can do what you like to Armo.

Curly tell us all the wrong decisions in that or is it just your rule that when you lay 99 tackles there must be a certain amount of holding the balls. The umpiring was good yesterday considering we probably didn't the best ones because of 2 bottom sides. I just enjoyed the win. It seems others want to worry about things that the club cant control. And I bet Warburton where on the bad end of decisions this week as they normally are. You do see the link, don't you.

Armo when he got done for below the knees was terrible and Gilbert play on and holding the ball both rubbish. Lets not start on the bringing the ball back after a behind that we got to CHF.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Armo when he got done for below the knees was terrible and Gilbert play on and holding the ball both rubbish. Lets not start on the bringing the ball back after a behind that we got to CHF.

Sorry I thought I was going to get all the wrong ones about tackles. Sorry don't remember those ones. Actually no point in telling me the wrong ones with tackles either as I wont remember. I was just hoping we could win. I was looking for things the club could do that may mean us winning.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring.

The holding the ball interpretation was quite different yesterday. The Dees players seemed to get an eternity to dispose of the ball and often did without doing so properly. Saying that, out tackling wasn't sticking and needs to get better. Laying a hand on the opposition wasn't the problem, we did that plenty. 99 tackles I think?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sorry I thought I was going to get all the wrong ones about tackles. Sorry don't remember those ones. Actually no point in telling me the wrong ones with tackles either as I wont remember. I was just hoping we could win. I was looking for things the club could do that may mean us winning.
You seem to not remember a lot other than Longer during our games.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I remember all our players. The club have control of them. Strange response. Warburton shafted this week?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I remember all our players. The club have control of them. Strange response. Warburton shafted this week?

A complaint was lodged this week not by us but the League offical that was there which has nothing to do with me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:

A complaint was lodged this week not by us but the League offical that was there which has nothing to do with me.

Who would have guessed.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Who would have guessed.
Well do your job properly I guess.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Who would have guessed.

You really are an unlucky supporter. We have one at our local club too. Even in cricket his club gets all the bad decisions.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Thought the umpiring was excelent yesterday...umpire 33 was Terry Wallaces son umpiring his first AFL game, I thought he went particurarily well

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Who would have guessed.

You really are an unlucky supporter. We have one at our local club too. Even in cricket his club gets all the bad decisions.

Can you not read? A League official lodged a complaint to the umpire department after our game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Who would have guessed.

Can you not read? A League official lodged a complaint to the umpire department after our game.

Yes I read that. Im just saying how unlucky you are with the clubs you follow. Our local club has done well with the umpires this year. We usually lose the frees but win the games so we think the umpiring is fine. Anyway got to go. My bouncing needs some work.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I thought the umpiring was absolutely awful.

Both ways.

The Gilbert 'play on' call was utterly baffling and absolutely incorrect.

Having said that, the rules themselves are just pathetic these days. Longer gets a broken nose from an opponent's swinging arm - nothing. Touch a bloke above the shoulders - free kick. Cause you know, the head is sacrosanct and all! Ridiculous.

Why they've eased off on the changes to the 'holding the ball' interpretation recently is beyond me. Footy was almost becoming bearable to watch due to the changes. Yet they seemed to have reverted back to the nonsense they dished up yesterday and over the weekend.

Very strange, short sighted and generally unintelligent people run the AFL sadly. Out of touch.
Last edited by Johnny Member on Mon 15 Jun 2015 11:04am, edited 1 time in total.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Gilbert play on was very poor. The man on the mark at no time let go of Gilbert who stepped sideways to get him off .

Umpire calls play on even though it is a direct infringement and a 50 metre when the mark interferes with the player.

Melbourne players swung 360 and still allowed to dispose of the ball incorrectly.

Having said that, unlike that Nick Foot incompetent cheat, the umpiring was pretty consistent and I believe that Chamberlain always gives us a fair go, unlike umpires No.1 and No.2 who are plainly biased.

Will always complain about umpiring, they will make mistakes which is fair enough, players make plenty, however the umpiring seemed fair enough yesterday. When the bias is blatant like we have had with Nick Foot and that idiot No.1 that's when I get pissed off.

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I thought the umpiring was absolutely awful.

Both ways.

Having said that, the rules themselves are just pathetic these days. Longer gets a broken nose from an opponent's swinging arm - nothing. Touch a bloke above the shoulders - free kick. Cause you know, the head is sacrosanct and all! Ridiculous.

Why they've eased off on the changes to the 'holding the ball' interpretation recently is beyond me. Footy was almost becoming bearable to watch due to the changes. Yet they seemed to have reverted back to the nonsense they dished up yesterday and over the weekend.

Very strange, short sighted and generally unintelligent people run the AFL sadly. Out of touch.
Its important to know the rules when you comment.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The rule must have changed because there were about 20 throws or dropping the ball that weren't paid when we tackled them. The inconsistent hitting below the knees too. One paid against us one not against them. Overall it was better than the lop sided crap of the last few weeks though. At least letting them go largely was an upgrade.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I haven't watched the last quarter on TV yet but I thought they were decent yesterday.

One they missed that got no comment. Savage trying to soccer it through for a goal in the first quarter and the Demon's player just dived in and took his legs out. Thought it was more obvious than the one they payed against Armo.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I thought the umpiring was absolutely awful.

Both ways.

Bruce was getting punched repeatedly in the stomach behind play with an umpire watching who allowed it and Hogan was doing it to Gilbert. There was some pretty average umpiring but it was Razor Ray.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Umpires were good and Gilbo definitely attempted a handpass!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Umpires were good and Gilbo definitely attempted a handpass!
I'm not sure he attempted it but looked like he was thinking about it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

Bit like this forum then, hey?

Sorry mods, That was just too good an opportunity to let it just run past me. Couldn't resist. :D

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Umpires were good and Gilbo definitely attempted a handpass!
You're allowed to attempt to handbags.

As long you don't come over the mark or off the mark, it's not play on.

Amateurish umpiring. U12 error.