Jack Lonie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milne
Club Player

Jack Lonie

Going to be an absolute superstar. Most of what he does doesn't show up on the stats sheet but by God does this young bloke have something.

Watching him live you get to see everything he does off the ball. Fantastic pick up.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Lonie

Little Boy Lonie! They ought to give him a long sleeve guernsey.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Viking3
Club Player

His TAC Cup coach rated him, pound for pound, the best player in last year's draft. His height was expected, and did, to scare many off.
Have watched him with interest and his vision and footy nous is as good as I have seen.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

loving everything about him a the moment

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

How's about a Rising Star Nomination for this week?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Guess who won the contested ball when it came inside 50. Lonie! and dodged a tackle before handpassing to Steven.

In the hype of the finish he hasn't recieved as much credit as he deservers

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

More tackles tonight than Milne laid in a season.
Early days but is doing everything right at present,
Was he permanent forward, or did he get a run on the ball?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He is all class. I just hope Cloudy with a chance of meatballs can emulate him.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

not quite
the lowest tackle count milne ever had in a year was 13

love the lonie

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I am a huge fan, he had two of the Dees talls going mental throwing him on the ground constantly. He gets in their heads and sends them nuts. He doesn't back down. Apparently in the TAC last year two boys who were much taller tried to beat him up after he mouthed off and he took them on and sent one off with a blood nose.

Richter
SS Life Member

Watching the game I had the feeling that he was in everything. His work inside 50 was phenomenal. Every possession he is credited with is worth 2-3x as many. The follow-up efforts inside 50 were amazing. So nimble, and the hand-eye co-ordination exceptional.

He also turned up on the ball and was at half back a couple of times. An excellent and reliable kick on top of everything else.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

The kid is a jet.

Quick, hard at it, can kick with both feet, loves a goal. What a gem. I absolutely love his defensive work and pressure as well.

The Saints are coming!
Doctor Two
Club Player

gringo wrote:I am a huge fan, he had two of the Dees talls going mental throwing him on the ground constantly. He gets in their heads and sends them nuts. He doesn't back down. Apparently in the TAC last year two boys who were much taller tried to beat him up after he mouthed off and he took them on and sent one off with a blood nose.
Last week after Riewoldt kicked that goal in the first quarter, Lonie must have said something to a couple of Hawks players and Lake I think put him down - might have been a bit of staging as well. Love the kid & love this aspect of his game.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

What an absolute steal of a pick Jack has been.

We talk about getting games into the kids to fast-track their development, but Jack seems to improve at 2-3 times the normal rate of most young players each time he plays - he looks like he's been playing at the top level for far longer than he has....imagine how good he's going to be in a couple of years?

I'm very excited!

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Good news. I was cheesed off we didn't pick up Caleb Daniel instead. How's he going at the Bulldogs?
(That's a serious question -- I'm o/s and I don't know.)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Doctor Two wrote:
gringo wrote:I am a huge fan, he had two of the Dees talls going mental throwing him on the ground constantly. He gets in their heads and sends them nuts. He doesn't back down. Apparently in the TAC last year two boys who were much taller tried to beat him up after he mouthed off and he took them on and sent one off with a blood nose.
Last week after Riewoldt kicked that goal in the first quarter, Lonie must have said something to a couple of Hawks players and Lake I think put him down - might have been a bit of staging as well. Love the kid & love this aspect of his game.
He's 5' 5", but thinks he's 6' 5" as Richo has said. Wouldn't want to misquote the coach but it was along those lines.

He's a terrific player already and better than just another small forward.

Maybe chuck him in the guts occasionally to offset some of the serviceable plodders who can go in and under but don't offer much outside dash like Jack does

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Good news. I was cheesed off we didn't pick up Caleb Daniel instead. How's he going at the Bulldogs?
Fair question, that was definitely the comparison at draft time. He hasn't cracked a senior game yet, must have been injured the first few months of the season as he's only played the last four weeks in the VFL. Getting 10-15 touches, kicked a couple of goals but hasn't been named in the best yet.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Well done Trout... Couldn't agree more. Fantastic little player.

saint6709
Club Player

Griggsy wrote:Guess who won the contested ball when it came inside 50. Lonie! and dodged a tackle before handpassing to Steven.

Must have a couple of goal assists to go with his goals and a mountain of tackles - is fantastic to have a guy like that in the forward line and he is seriously just a kid

FQF
SS Life Member

Lonie did spend a few minutes in the midfield. Both times I could see amongst the pack, he had roved the pack and taken the ball only to be wrapped up in a tackle and another ball up called. So neither of those would register as stats, but he knows how to win a clearance. I expect him to increase his time in the middle as he gets bigger and fitter.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Guess who won the contested ball when it came inside 50. Lonie! and dodged a tackle before handpassing to Steven.

Yes Griggsy, Lonie was the one that did the hard stuff and got it out to Steven for the chain of events to happen with Joey capping it off.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Good news. I was cheesed off we didn't pick up Caleb Daniel instead. How's he going at the Bulldogs?
Fair question, that was definitely the comparison at draft time. He hasn't cracked a senior game yet, must have been injured the first few months of the season as he's only played the last four weeks in the VFL. Getting 10-15 touches, kicked a couple of goals but hasn't been named in the best yet.

Bulldogs fans are still very excited by him. Lonie came to us in a moon boot. I met him at the preseason intraclub match and had a talk to him and he is supposedly taller than Caleb Daniel who must be tiny. Jack wasn't much taller than my kids. I thought he would need a few years in the VFL to be able to play senior footy. His pressure acts are elite and size isn't a factor for him. The Dees tried to bully him early on pushing him over a crunching him but he just kept jumping up and going again. They gave up by the second quarter as it just got him yappier.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Isn't it funny how quickly things have changed.
I remember when he was recruited our recruiters said we picked could use a late pick on him to fill a deficiency in the list.
Now that he and Sinclair have come on, Schneider actually got on the park and with Billings and now minchington and Templeton with solid-good-great VFL form we have so many. Luckily many can also play mid

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Jack's a beauty, stoked we have him

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:Jack's a beauty, stoked we have him

Fantastic pick up. And cost bugger all. You can improve with the higher draft picks.