So who replaces Roo as leader?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Re: So who replaces Roo as leader?

David Armitage

FQF
SS Life Member

stjay wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: I think Roo will be around longer than Fisher (body and form wise) and Nick is more versatile (can play wing).
Gears is not guaranteed a game (He played in our two worst games - Pies and Blues and we did fine without him v Lions).
Armo is not even 27 yet. Has to be a no brainer?
Gears played against the Lions.
He played against the Lions and played damn well. Completely shut out Brisbane's most dangerous forward.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
stjay wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: I think Roo will be around longer than Fisher (body and form wise) and Nick is more versatile (can play wing).
Gears is not guaranteed a game (He played in our two worst games - Pies and Blues and we did fine without him v Lions).
He played against the Lions and played damn well. Completely shut out Brisbane's most dangerous forward.
I'm going senile.
Either way he wont be skipper. Armo is a top 20 player in the whole comp.
I dont even see it as a debate.

FQF
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
FQF wrote:
stjay wrote:
I'm going senile.
Either way he wont be skipper. Armo is a top 20 player in the whole comp.
I dont even see it as a debate.
There's always a possibility, and there is precedent for a good hard working tryer being the captain over the stars. But, I agree it will be Armo.

elizabethr
Club Player

Armo outstanding

nothing to say
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I agree Armo would have to be the favourite but there still seems a lot of people disrespecting Geary. He would make a pretty good captain and his game is solid. Armo is a lad and a nice guy but I can't see him loving all the engagements that come with being a captain. Geary and newness look a lot more comfortable with the crowds and the media. Captaincy means doing all the media, sponsors gigs, presentations to corporate events etc. You have to be a certain type to enjoy it. Some have the right temperament others don't Armo has the on field well and truly covered but I imagine he would hate the other stuff. Geary, Newnes and Weller look like they would love it. It's an assumption obviously as I don't know them well but do attend a lot of club stuff and see these guys in action.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Capt....newnes
Dominant forward...hopefully Bruce and paddy

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

for me it's Armo he has really taken on a leadership role and is a real example for the kids. I am in awe of his growth as a player and leader

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
fingers
Saintsational Legend

For some reason I have always had Newnes pegged as a future captain.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Looking at it from the outside, I'd say Armitage for the way he plays and the example he sets on field. There's more to leadership than that, though. and whether he has the other qualities I couldn't say, having never met him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

People wanted Armo before he proved himself and now that he has we are second guessing. I will go out on a limb and say Rooy will hand ove the captaincy to Armo next season. If not it will certainly be the year after.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:People wanted Armo before he proved himself and now that he has we are second guessing. I will go out on a limb and say Rooy will hand ove the captaincy to Armo next season. If not it will certainly be the year after.
I think he is obviously the favourite but he was also questioned for his off field antics by some so I don't think it was anything on field that people had concerns over. If you had to put money down Armo would be an unbackable favourite and has obviously addressed most criteria now.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:People wanted Armo before he proved himself and now that he has we are second guessing. I will go out on a limb and say Rooy will hand ove the captaincy to Armo next season. If not it will certainly be the year after.
I think he is obviously the favourite but he was also questioned for his off field antics by some so I don't think it was anything on field that people had concerns over. If you had to put money down Armo would be an unbackable favourite and has obviously addressed most criteria now.

He was brought into the leadership after the off field stuff. By the way what the hell was the off field stuff. Seems to stay out of trouble as far as I can remember. And I don't go by ability otherwise Jack would be captain now.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Only off field issues I can remember with Armo was his involvement with the school girl a few years back but he wasn't to know she was a fruit loop.

I think he's pretty much been a model citezen since arriving at the club. Jack Steven has caused more trouble but he seems to escape the troublemaker tag somehow.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If he doesn't make capt he will do well in the media when he pulls the pin.

Will be the next capt.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Armo,followed by Dunstan looks ok by me

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

He was brought into the leadership after the off field stuff. By the way what the hell was the off field stuff. Seems to stay out of trouble as far as I can remember. And I don't go by ability otherwise Jack would be captain now.

People were saying he and Fisher were off the rails with Dusty Martin from memory. It was on here I saw it. I don't think it was anything terrible just partying.