VFL Rd 5 Sandringham Vs Frankston - Good win X 2 teams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL Rd 5 Sandringham Vs Frankston - casey radio 97.7

FQF wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:
thequarry wrote:Does anyone know what Saunders is doing in the Dev League? Pierce was named in it as well, but both (as well as Kenny Ong) were listed in both the VFL and Dev League teams during the week.
My guess would be that, because we have so many players available, we are simply unable to play them all in the seniors (there has to be a certain number of Sandringham-listed players in the team as well).
I take it that rule will not apply when we have our own standalone reserves team? They will all be saints players unless we don't have enough and then, and only then, will use top ups?
There will be Saints VFL players and Saints listed players and we'll have full control of how we use them. I'm guessing we might be able to poach some of the Sandy players who are affiliated with us as our VFL players (eg. CJ, TDL). I'm sure those guys would prefer to be training and working within an AFL framework.
Okay thanks.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:
thequarry wrote:Does anyone know what Saunders is doing in the Dev League? Pierce was named in it as well, but both (as well as Kenny Ong) were listed in both the VFL and Dev League teams during the week.
My guess would be that, because we have so many players available, we are simply unable to play them all in the seniors (there has to be a certain number of Sandringham-listed players in the team as well).
I take it that rule will not apply when we have our own standalone reserves team? They will all be saints players unless we don't have enough and then, and only then, will use top ups?
There will be Saints VFL players and Saints listed players and we'll have full control of how we use them. I'm guessing we might be able to poach some of the Sandy players who are affiliated with us as our VFL players (eg. CJ, TDL). I'm sure those guys would prefer to be training and working within an AFL framework.

I don't think we would go down that track. We wouldn't have the money to compete for those type of players. We will get get players from local leagues because its about development and not necessarily winning.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:

I don't think we would go down that track. We wouldn't have the money to compete for those type of players. We will get get players from local leagues because its about development and not necessarily winning.
But I take it that all our remaining available players that are not injured or playing in the seniors will be playing in the VFL and we don't have to only play 15 players or so (whatever the criteria is at the moment).

Qtr Time
Sandy 6.0.36
Frangas 4.3.27

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:

Yeh you could be right. How does the captaincy work? Would it have to be a permanent, non AFL listed player?

4ever_saint
Club Player

Few 1/4 time thoughts:
- Acres is a beauty. Tries hard, clean disposal. Think we'll he seeing him next week in the seniors.
- Lee looking great in defense. Taken a few really strong, contested marks.
- Wouldn't be surprised if Ray only spends 1 week at this level. Looks right back to his old self.

FQF
SS Life Member

4ever_saint wrote:Few 1/4 time thoughts:
- Acres is a beauty. Tries hard, clean disposal. Think we'll he seeing him next week in the seniors.
- Wouldn't be surprised if Ray only spends 1 week at this level. Looks right back to his old self.
Thanks. White?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Sounds like Saad has 4 before half time!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
FQF
SS Life Member

Q1 stats:
Curren 10 possessions
Acres 8 possessions
Lee 8 possessions

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Dolphins 4. 6. 30
Sandringham 11. 6. 72

Half Time!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Saad too quick for em at vfl level.
Not enough tricks in the bag at afl level
?

Keep the updates coming
Much appreciated

FQF
SS Life Member

Ray has 19 touches at half time. Straight back in?

4ever_saint
Club Player

FQF wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:Few 1/4 time thoughts:
Thanks. White?
He's been okay, just not doing enough IMO. He leads well then drops a gettable mark. It's frustrating because he's shown so much- but he looks like a completely different player to the one who debuted last year.

Saad too good at this level, he's killing it. Same with Ray. Expect Ray will come straight back in. Acres will probably come back in too- just looks so clean.

Membrey's done a few good thing, nothing outstanding but he's presented well and taken a few good marks. Looks the likely inclusion for Rooey. Unless injured, it's startling they didn't play Paddy- would've given him confidence against a team that is clearly the worst in the VFL.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Gilbo? Is he playing?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:Gilbo? Is he playing?
Nope.. he pulled up sore.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

3/4 time:
Dolphins 6. 7. 43
Sandringham 15. 6. 96

4ever_saint
Club Player

Just before half-time, they moved Lee forward and in that 3rd quarter, he looked dangerous. Kicked a goal and took a great contested grab before passing it off for a goal. Was looking great in defense earlier- but looking even better forward. Most likely marking forward down there (in one quarter he presented better and looked more dangerous than White has all day).

There's no question Ray will be in next week, same as Acres. Both are looking a class above the rest.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Disposals: Jones 26, Curren 25, Acres 24
Goals: Saad 4, Zijai 3, Membrey 2, Brown 2, Minchington, Acres, Lee Holmes

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Gilbo? Is he playing?
Nope.. he pulled up sore.
Sore from what?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Judging by this game I'd say ray & Acres in next week. Maybe Membrey if Roo doesn't come up...

4ever_saint
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:Judging by this game I'd say ray & Acres in next week. Maybe Membrey if Roo doesn't come up...
I think it's line ball whether they go with Membrey or Lee based on today's game. Lee was super impressive today, forward and back, and his disposal was generally cleaner than Membrey's and he was stronger in the air. He only played 2 quarters forward and ended up with 2 goals, 2 behinds (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). There was a space of 10 minutes in the third quarter where Lee was the most dangerous player on the ground- it was so great to see!

The only reason I'd say Membrey is slightly more likely to play is because he's had a few games with Bruce before, thus we wouldn't be disrupting our forward line again. It's not based on today's form.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Final scores??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
4ever_saint
Club Player

Frankston 9. 7. 61
Sandringham 21. 10. 136

Disposals: Curren 31, Jones 31, Ray 28
Goals: Saad 4, Membrey 3, Zijai 3, Brown 2, Lee 2, Acres 2, Minchington 2

dsav
Club Player

Photo album now up.
http://www.davesavell.com/p171860969

Dave
@SavellDave

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Anyone know why McCartin & Goddard didn't play this week?