Where's Stinger?

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where's Stinger?

Old Mate wrote:Was the sting banned?
No

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No, I'm Harry

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:There is a misconception that this place is "dying" but nothing is further from the truth. More people are reading than in the past few years ... we are averaging over 500 unique users per week. Those are just the registered users. This fan forum is read well beyond that as it is an open forum. Unfortunately some registered users opt not to post anymore but they do log on and read.

While Facebook and Twitter etc have more followers ... This place has more active contributors and more say in setting the agenda.

Big Footy is most like us - in that the users can set the agenda - and while some have migrated there to contribute ... They still come here to read and some even post on both forums.

I am told that 500 unique users per week and around 200 a day is a very healthy forum.
Rubbish. This forum is full of passive observers. What counts is how many posts are made and how many threads created. Maybe look at those stats. I can't believe how stagnant so many threads are. I also can't believe how few new threads are created compared to say 5 years ago when the forum was firing. A forum is about activity, not just viewers.

The top 5 posters here by volume of posts per day (and I'm probably a culprit), appear to contribute well over half of all posts. There is a distinct lack of variety in posters. Big Footy kills SS in that regard.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:There is a misconception that this place is "dying" but nothing is further from the truth. More people are reading than in the past few years ... we are averaging over 500 unique users per week. Those are just the registered users. This fan forum is read well beyond that as it is an open forum. Unfortunately some registered users opt not to post anymore but they do log on and read.

While Facebook and Twitter etc have more followers ... This place has more active contributors and more say in setting the agenda.

Big Footy is most like us - in that the users can set the agenda - and while some have migrated there to contribute ... They still come here to read and some even post on both forums.

I am told that 500 unique users per week and around 200 a day is a very healthy forum.
Rubbish. This forum is full of passive observers. What counts is how many posts are made and how many threads created. Maybe look at those stats. I can't believe how stagnant so many threads are. I also can't believe how few new threads are created compared to say 5 years ago when the forum was firing. A forum is about activity, not just viewers.

The top 5 posters here by volume of posts per day (and I'm probably a culprit), appear to contribute well over half of all posts. There is a distinct lack of variety in posters. Big Footy kills SS in that regard.
Agreed that there are less topics raised to 5 years ago AND less posters than 5 years ago but there are 2 key reasons ... less fans being pumped up about the Saints as we are not premiership contenders atm like 5 years ago AND the forum became an EXTREMELY hostile environment 3 years ago and did drive away many participating posters.

Added to that there was a period of well over a year where previous admin had closed the forum to new members or at minimum failed to fix the problem when it happened.

NO denying that and like the Saints this forum is going through a re-build! My comment is that it IS building. Month on month it is growing in terms of users.

I am not sure that I have the time to do the analysis but I would be interested to find out:

(a) how many new topics are posted in any week on here VS big footy
(b) how many individual users POST in an any week on here VS big footy

Maybe someone has time to do an analysis of the past week???

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

asiu
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:No, I'm Harry
lol.

... u can't be Harry.
(coz u didnt use one of these :D )

I am the one true Harry
king of the andels
532nd of my name :D

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

If he's not here, can I call him Stinker and not get a warning?

FFS :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: 8-)

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:If he's not here, can I call him Stinker and not get a warning?

FFS :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: 8-)
No.

Because even if he is not posting, he may still be reading and that would be baiting ... and a warning.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Curiousity killed this cat.

Number of threads in 7 days (30 April to 6 May as at 10.40pm)
==> in saintsational fan forum only = 60 new threads (AV 8.5 per day)

Number of individual / unique users that logged on in that same 7 days:
==> saintsational fan forum = 467

Number of posters that have made at least 1 post in same 7 days
==> saintsational fan forum =-> of the last 50 that logged on 39 posted, of the first 50 that logged on this week (and havent logged on again) only 18 posted and using that as a basis then I am estimating that 50% to 60% of posters that logged on this week made at least 1 post ... so say 230 to 280 individual posters in the past week. Even 200 would be good. Remember this is an estimate because based on counting the latest 50 users and first 50 users this week and clicking on to see their latest posting date and whether it was wihin this week. I just dont have time to click on 467 users and review each one to see if posted or did not post in that 7 day period. Sorry.

Not sure how I get BigFooty's data!

I again say that I am told that those sort of fan forum figures are pretty good.

Perhaps some of the 230-270 posters are drowned out by the VOLUME of post by a dozen or so of the non-stop posters?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Nurse Ratched: Aren't you ashamed? 
Billy: No, I'm not. 
[Applause from friends] 
Nurse Ratched: You know Billy, what worries me is how your mother is going to take this. 
Billy: Um, um, well, y-y-y-you d-d-d-don't have to t-t-t-tell her, Miss Ratched. 
Nurse Ratched: I don't have to tell her? Your mother and I are old friends. You know that. 
Billy: P-p-p-please d-d-don't tell my m-m-m-mother. 

Nurse Ratched: If Mr. McMurphy doesn't want to take his medication orally, I'm sure we can arrange that he can have it some other way. But I don't think that he would like it. 
[McMurphy turns around to see Harding smiling at him] 
McMurphy: Heh, YOU'D like it, wouldn't you? 
[to Harding, regarding the pills] 
McMurphy: Here, give it to me. 

McMurphy: Nurse Ratched, Nurse Ratched! The Chief voted! Now will you please turn on the television set? 
Nurse Ratched: [she opens the glass window] Mr. McMurphy, the meeting was adjourned and the vote was closed. 
McMurphy: But the vote was 10 to 8. The Chief, he's got his hand up! Look! 
Nurse Ratched: No, Mr. McMurphy. When the meeting was adjourned, the vote was 9 to 9. 
McMurphy: [exasperated] Aw come on, you're not gonna say that now! You're not gonna say that now! You're gonna pull that hen house s***? Now when the vote... the Chief just voted - it was 10 to 9. Now I want that television set turned on *right now*! 
[Nurse Ratched closes the glass window] 

Nurse Ratched: Your hand is staining my window. 

:D

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he's gone back to his cleaning job?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BFUSA - don't want to quote you as it gets a bit big - it's a shame you have to manually count it all. We get great useage just after a game - that's the huge spike then very little during the week.

Just appears BF has grown a lot - agreed the closed forum issue was a biggie

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Curiousity killed this cat.

==> saintsational fan forum =-> of the last 50 that logged on 39 posted, of the first 50 that logged on this week (and havent logged on again) only 18 posted and using that as a basis then I am estimating that 50% to 60% of posters that logged on this week made at least 1 post ... so say 230 to 280 individual posters in the past week. Even 200 would be good. Remember this is an estimate because based on counting the latest 50 users and first 50 users this week and clicking on to see their latest posting date and whether it was wihin this week. I just dont have time to click on 467 users and review each one to see if posted or did not post in that 7 day period. Sorry.

I again say that I am told that those sort of fan forum figures are pretty good.

Perhaps some of the 230-270 posters are drowned out by the VOLUME of post by a dozen or so of the non-stop posters?
You do have a way with words and humour as shown by tour previous post. Anyway I think the 2 main points why there are less posters is having over a year where no one could join and also because the side is struggling. I reckon if the dozen or so ddnt drown out others as you politely put it then the site would be worse but it seems you think it would be better. We agree to disagree. And I also agree with you that the site isn't dying. It seems a strong fan forum to me. Equally as strong as BF which is much more well known throughout footy people.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Interesting theory Saintspremiers. Perhaps if I get time on Friday night I shall do a Monday to Friday analysis to take out the game day factor.

You may well be right.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Plugger66

I don't think that the forum would be better off without the dozen or so super posters!

I think they are a massive strength as long as they talk footy and not about themselves.

The point I was making is that their combined weight of posts will hide the fact that many other posters are making small contributions of 1 to say 5 posts in a week.

Hope that clears up how I view things.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Plugger66

I don't think that the forum would be better off without the dozen or so super posters!

I think they are a massive strength as long as they talk footy and not about themselves.

The point I was making is that their combined weight of posts will hide the fact that many other posters are making small contributions of 1 to say 5 posts in a week.

I think most talk footy most of the time. I little humour if it isn't about footy never hurts anyone. Better than the disgusting posting by a few on Sunday night. And on that its about time the mods had some say in the length of bans. Having a person calling about 5 people F and C only getting 2 weeks is ridiculous when someone can get the same for very minor baiting. Baiting to the mod that may not even be baiting. I think the mods need to have more power when common sense is needed.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 07 May 2015 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Interesting theory Saintspremiers. Perhaps if I get time on Friday night I shall do a Monday to Friday analysis to take out the game day factor.

You may well be right.
It's obvious and the figures will back it up.

Anyway, just had another idea, to increase participation can we have a "general AFL thread" on the main forum? Things get a bit lost at times on the opp forum. Would be great to have just one thread on the fan forum to discuss the hot topics in the AFL world. Just one thread only - bit like the Essendope one - keeps it clean and if it gets out of hand you just park the rubbish in the enclosure as per now.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

WindSister wrote:I'm Harry :D
I'm Spartacus.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Curiousity killed this cat.

When I wasoverseas recently, I was trying to log onto this site. Up came a message where the site was rated in terms pf popularity. They were good figures.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I think most talk footy most of the time. I little humour if it isn't about footy never hurts anyone. Better than the disgusting posting by a few on Sunday night. And on that its about time the mods had some say in the length of bans. Having a person calling about 5 people F and C only getting 2 weeks is ridiculous when someone can get the same for very minor baiting. Baiting to the mod that maybe even be baiting. I think the mods need to have more power when common sense is needed.
But you obviously think it is okay to call someone a prick.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Ahh funny stuff....

But shouldn't this be in the admin forum?

mullet
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:No, I'm Harry
glad to hear from you K you were missed by many

loris
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Ahh funny stuff....

Agree markp.............. where is the consistency?

Months ago, I posted a thread on the whereabouts of Big Mart................. very quickly moved to the 'Animal Forum' I think it was.

Then a couple of weeks ago I posted an 'I'm missing' thread relating to the whereabouts of Davey Mac and stinger................. moved to the admin forum with great haste.

One begins to wonder if there is a mod who treats posts by females differently to those done by males.

I know there is one mod who changed the title of post from by female, wonder if he has done that to male posters?????????????????

Just wondering..................... :roll: :roll: :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think most talk footy most of the time. I little humour if it isn't about footy never hurts anyone. Better than the disgusting posting by a few on Sunday night. And on that its about time the mods had some say in the length of bans. Having a person calling about 5 people F and C only getting 2 weeks is ridiculous when someone can get the same for very minor baiting. Baiting to the mod that maybe even be baiting. I think the mods need to have more power when common sense is needed.
But you obviously think it is okay to call someone a prick.

Im pretty sure I haven't called anyone a prick in the fan forum. Certainly not for a while.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Saintsational is good for a lol and troll. It's the new mirc

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
markp wrote:Ahh funny stuff....

Agree markp.............. where is the consistency?

Months ago, I posted a thread on the whereabouts of Big Mart................. very quickly moved to the 'Animal Forum' I think it was.

Then a couple of weeks ago I posted an 'I'm missing' thread relating to the whereabouts of Davey Mac and stinger................. moved to the admin forum with great haste.

One begins to wonder if there is a mod who treats posts by females differently to those done by males.

I know there is one mod who changed the title of post from by female, wonder if he has done that to male posters?????????????????

Just wondering..................... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I wouldn't think any mod treats guys differently to girls.