Rebuild vs trying to hang in there - I'm happy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thefatdork
Club Player

Rebuild vs trying to hang in there - I'm happy

On the way home from tonight's game I thought there was a lot of positive about our future with lots of young guys that need a bit of development - both physically and in decision-making and calmness under pressure. We will no bout improve and be challenging in the not-too- distant future.
Contrast that with the Bombers who are trying to get to the top by bringing players in - like Chapman, Goddard, etc. Is this because their supporters can't fathom the idea of bottoming out so they try to hang-in and end up with middle-class mediocrity? Is this the same for other old-world clubs like the Tigers, and Pies (and probably Blues too but they bottomed out by virtue of draft punishments, etc, and recruited poorly)?
I wonder if the difference is in the supporter base.
The Saints and Bullies are used to hitting rock bottom for a few years and accept this - but perhaps the supporters of those other clubs don't have the stomach for this and the pressure is on to not fall right down.
I think I'd rather be where we are at than where the bombers/tigers/blues/pies are at - times have changed and I do think the draft does provide opportunity to rise for the brave clubs who are prepared to hit bottom for a while.
i reckon that winning 9-13 games a year and finishing mid-table is probably a worse outcome long-term than hitting bottom and recruiting the best young talent available.
I'm happy where we are at and I think our future is bright.
Go Saints!!
TFD :D

Austinnn
Club Player

Re: Rebuild vs trying to hang in there - I'm happy

I'm not sure I'd agree with that, personally.

I think I'd rather be mid table for a decade than get another frigging wooden spoon. No guarantee of a flag, and I want us to maintain a culture of effort and competitiveness. Can't stand idea of more spoons.

Having said that, its good to read an optimistic view, and happy to have you around TFD, look forward to reading more of your posts!

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The Blues have used 2 years of draft sanctions a 14 years ago to pretend they haven't just managed their team badly. They have recruited really poorly like us but were down the wrong end of the ladder at the time. Carlton and Essendon were both down and the Tigers were down but never got above 9th after multiple rebuilds. Collingwood have probably done the best rebuild I have seen. They have some guns coming through, traded their problematic older players for overs, traded well and are now not dropping off despite having a huge list turn over since 2010. Geelong had an outstanding recruiting period starting with Selwood and netting guys like Duncan, Blicavs and Motlop. They are now starting to find the nucleus isn't going o last for ever and will be forced to do more than top up IMO.

The Dogs and hopefully us have recruited well recently and is starting to show rewards.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Pies have some v good kids - been smart getting rid of spuds like lamumba?
Tigers need to rid themselves of Martin - over rated, inconsistent and over paid - poor mans Armo who they shoulda pushed us hard for.

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

dont panic

rory is coming
:)