Are we looking at a touch up today?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Are we looking at a touch up today?

The druggies will still be fuming about last week, and whilst in their drug effected minds Anzac Day is worth 40 points not 4, they'll want to polish us off.

I fear a 100 point drubbing. Still no Roo to give us a foundation and the boys need to be on their toes for at least half the game to prevent a big blowout. 5 changes though brings in a lot of fresh, unaffected blood, but they're all kids.

Anyone else fear likewise?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we looking at a touch up today?

I fear a drubbing every week, anything not is a bonus

Bring back the Lockett era
citywest

I doubt it will be 100. Being back at our home ground I reckon we will match it with the cheats til half time at least. Cheats by 42 points.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

... not to be feared though.
men playing boys at its simplest.
... cop our lesson 'n front up again next week ... then somewhere along the journey , all going to plan,
we'll return the favour to those on the next cycle of upstarts.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Pretty stark comparison of the two teams:

Kids: 0 to 49 games

Saints have 11: Hickey (30), Longer (29), Bruce (28), Webster (22), Dunstan (20), Billings (19), Membrey (5), Lonie (4), Sinclair (4), Acres (3), McKenzie (0)
Bombers have 6: Daniher (30), Merrett Z (24), Ambrose (20), Gleeson (13), Hams (3), Langford (0)

Half of our team has played 30 or less, and five of them have played less than 10. The Bombers have a massive advantage because they're carrying far fewer kids.

Core: 50 to 150 games

Saints have 8: Armitage (111), Geary (104), Steven (94), Savage (74), Roberton (68), Delaney (52), Newnes (51), Weller (51)
Bombers have 12: Hooker (115), Zaharakis (114), Dempsey (107), Hurley (104), Howlett (101), Melksham (100), Heppell (88), Bellchambers (73), Carlisle (72), Hibberd (67), Baguley (54), Colyer (50)

And of course that shows up in the core. They've got a lot more than us (6 100 gamers to just 2) and a lot more quality. The reigning AA fullback, an ex-Rising Star winner, a bunch of other really good players. Not sure how we'll get over these seasoned guys who know how to play together.

Veterans: 151+ games

Saints have 3: Schneider (216), Fisher (202), Dempster (186)
Bombers have 4: Fletcher (396), Goddard (251), Stanton (230), Watson (192)

Reasonably even though obviously the Bombers still have the edge here.

I still wouldn't completely write it off because half the game is played between the ears. But it'd be a mammoth task for us. Essendon's odds of $1.16 look a pretty safe bet.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:I doubt it will be 100. Being back at our home ground I reckon we will match it with the cheats til half time at least. Cheats by 42 points.
For once, citywest, I agree with you!

At this stage we are like sprinters trying to be competitive in a 2000 metre race. Either takes time to reach that level or won't happen - hopefully the former.

Saint supporter since '62
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Our forward line looks a real worry. If Bruce gets held god knows where the goals will come from. But I like the experimentation with twin rucks (if Hickey isn't the sub). I'd rather the club take these sort of risks and experiments than the "death by a thousand cuts" such as playing a safe cover backline where we get locked in our back half. With McKenzie's run, Websters ball use and Acres switching and reading of play we have some weaponary.

Of course it also means it can go pear shaped and the young players will make errors. Acres can be slow and will caught with the ball until he gets used to the speed of AFL. You can't expect much from DMacs first game and WEbster will be rusty. But this is the future and I'm really looking forward to the game. Bombers by 40 would be ok with me but even if its a big blowout I like the boldness and forward looking of the club. You don't get anywhere without taking some risks.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:Our forward line looks a real worry. If Bruce gets held god knows where the goals will come from. But I like the experimentation with twin rucks (if Hickey isn't the sub). I'd rather the club take these sort of risks and experiments than the "death by a thousand cuts" such as playing a safe cover backline where we get locked in our back half. With McKenzie's run, Websters ball use and Acres switching and reading of play we have some weaponary
This is my biggest fear for this game, trying the same old failed tactic and not seeing the ball past the wing for 80% of the game. It's time to mix it up, either way the probability is a loss. If you don't learn anything from a loss then what's he point. If we sit back and start to get flogged it will be extremely disappointing.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

80+ for mine.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
FQF
SS Life Member

God help up is Hickey or Longer is the sub.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Probably, the bars are packed right now to see who gets touched up in the big fight.
Sadly, the fight may be more entertaining than the game.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Probably, the bars are packed right now to see who gets touched up in the big fight.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
citywest

3rd generation saint wrote:Probably, the bars are packed right now to see who gets touched up in the big fight.
How wrong you were 3rd generation saint. :D :lol:

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Probably, the bars are packed right now to see who gets touched up in the big fight.
And how wrong you were about getting rid of Armo and Steven.

Armo BOG today

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
citywest wrote:

Armo BOG today

I think Armo must be top 5 for disposals after this week. He is finally starting to show just how dominant he can be.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

There is a strong touch of pessimism in us all. I'm massively disappointed In the result but hugely proud of my team. We are better than most will admit.

Saint supporter since '62
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
citywest wrote:

Armo BOG today

I think Armo must be top 5 for disposals after this week. He is finally starting to show just how dominant he can be.
3rd. Lewis, Hannebery then Armo.

twirlyhair
Club Player

Buddy, have faith. You've done this a lot you know.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What a great loss!

Would've loved a win today. We deserved a win, but not the end of the world either.

We aren't finals bound so wins aren't that important. We had a crack, played daredevil footy beyond our years and it nearly paid full dividends.

Bring on 2017

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:What a great loss!

Would've loved a win today. We deserved a win, but not the end of the world either.

We aren't finals bound so wins aren't that important. We had a crack, played daredevil footy beyond our years and it nearly paid full dividends.

Bring on 2017

Wins are the only thing you play footy for. Great losses are only better than bad loses.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Bring on 2017

Wins are the only thing you play footy for. Great losses are only better than bad loses.
Very simplistic plugs. I'm looking long term. You know as far as losses goes it doesn't get much better than this.
Or are you just trying to create an argument?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Bring on 2017

Very simplistic plugs. I'm looking long term. You know as far as losses goes it doesn't get much better than this.
You get a culture of losing and you end up like Melbourne or Richmond for 30 years.

P66 is spot on. You attemptto win every single game. In the big scheme of things finishing last or third last wont matter. Its what you do with the draft picks that matter.

So to say losing doesn't matter is in my view a very counterproductive thing to say. We have one flag in our existence. Last thing we need is to breed a losing culture.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Bring on 2017

You get a culture of losing and you end up like Melbourne or Richmond for 30 years.

P66 is spot on. You attemptto win every single game. In the big scheme of things finishing last or third last wont matter. Its what you do with the draft picks that matter.

So to say losing doesn't matter is in my view a very counterproductive thing to say. We have one flag in our existence. Last thing we need is to breed a losing culture.
Did I say losing culture? It's our only close loss of the year. Listen to Richos members message. Very positive. I doubt he'd even berate the players behind closed doors. Sure, he'll point out ways to improve to win, but you gotta draw much more positive than negative from a loss like that given where we are at. We are nowhere near that Dees scenario you allude to

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

A win would have obviously been great but let's see how they play this week.

When we've had great wins over the last two years, we've had a massive let down the next game.

Hopefully we can take it up to the Bulldogs who might be facing a let down after a great win.
Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 04 May 2015 10:23am, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Bring on 2017

Did I say losing culture? It's our only close loss of the year. Listen to Richos members message. Very positive. I doubt he'd even berate the players behind closed doors. Sure, he'll point out ways to improve to win, but you gotta draw much more positive than negative from a loss like that given where we are at. We are nowhere near that Dees scenario you allude to
No you did not say losing culture, but thats what your attitude breeds. I dont know how much you have ever had with football clubs, but I can assure you that the club and players would be filthy today. They dont have an attitude of 2017 is the year, some wont be there in 2017.

If people are happy with a loss, well thats up to them, but football clubs, and players from junior level to AFL are NEVER happy to lose.

We continue to lose and we get a losing culture, and we are a lot closer to Melbourne in its dark days than you think. we are 1-4 and looking down the barrel of another poor year.

So be happy with losses if you like, but dont for a minute believe it is the attitude of the club.