Changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:All these changes for guys who just played in the VFL and got smashed. Maybe we nearly had our best side out there on Saturday and we aren't good enough yet.
So you ignore the Collingwood game and the VFL performance against the Bombers then? You cant have it both ways.

No I don't ignore it but the coaches obviously thought after that game there wasn't many options so actually yes I do ignore it. Its amazing how we think players who get smashed in a much lower competition are better than those in the higher competition. There will be changes but I doubt its going to be anywhere near the amount some people think.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:All these changes for guys who just played in the VFL and got smashed. Maybe we nearly had our best side out there on Saturday and we aren't good enough yet.
So you ignore the Collingwood game and the VFL performance against the Bombers then? You cant have it both ways.

No I don't ignore it but the coaches obviously thought after that game there wasn't many options so actually yes I do ignore it. Its amazing how we think players who get smashed in a much lower competition are better than those in the higher competition. There will be changes but I doubt its going to be anywhere near the amount some people think.

Then the whole point of half this website should just be shut down if we just work on the assumption that every single the club does is the right thing. I don't think Saad playing against Willy would have got Sandy a win. Maybe Saad kept his spot by fluke when Minch got injured at training. I also don't think three ruckman helped Sandy's cause. Anyway 1 flag in 120 years gives us the right to question things.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Then the whole point of half this website should just be shut down if we just work on the assumption that every single the club does is the right thing. I don't think Saad playing against Willy would have got Sandy a win. Maybe Saad kept his spot by fluke when Minch got injured at training. I also don't think three ruckman helped Sandy's cause. Anyway 1 flag in 120 years gives us the right to question things.

I didn't know the current coaches were around 120 years ago. And who said you cant have a discussion on it. I was pointing out that what you said is easily explained. And maybe you are exactly right about Minchington. By the way I don't think him playing would have got the Saints a win. This is an easy game, isn't it.

Anyway I stand by my orininal point. Logic suggests there isn't a hell of a lot in the seconds so we aren't going to have massive changes and anyway don't people like young players to be given a certain amount of games in a row no matter how they go. It seems we want that but we also want to drop some young guys. Cant have it both ways and Con I don't mean you. Its just a general statement.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:It does sound like Roo and Joey won't get up for this week. I'd really like to see Minchington in but no mention of him from the Sandy game suggests he won't get his chance this week. I'd hope for something like this

Out: McCartin, Curren, Saad, Shenton, Schneider, Geary
In: Hickey, Weller, Acres, Webster, Minchington, McKenzie

I'm braced for something like this
Out: Curren
In: Weller
I don't think there's much chance Schneider and Geary will be tipped out this week.

Saad & maybe Curren. McCartin if there's someone to replace him. Roberton if injured. Doubt they will make 6+ changes.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Mon 27 Apr 2015 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Changes

Updated VFL stats have;
Acres 31 touches
Mckenzie 28
Webster 26
Templeton 19

Surely Acres and Mckenzie come in. Webster probably as well, he's had two games in the ressies since coming back from injury.

For mine McCartin stays in until at least Roo comes back. You just had to see our structure fall apart after he was subbed. He's a big broad guy that attracts the ball and creates a contest.

I don't expect Joey or Roo to play.

Too many smalls, some got to go.

Out
Saad, Curren, Wright

In
Acres, McKenzie, Webster

spot on
Club Player

Keen for a few changes this week. The boys are looking a bit tired. So for me
Saad out for minch who has been in good form and was first emergency last week
Mccartin out for hickey, keen to see how the 2 ruckmen go together, although been really happy with longer
Shenton out for acres
Curren out for Weller if fit
I would love to see Mckenzie get a run so maybe one of the young fellas need a rest

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

In: Webster, Acres, Hickey

Out: Saad, McCartin, Schneider

Saad and Schneider. Wehave enough small forwards who can't go through the middle. Paddy, not ready yet and Hickey may offer more as a marking forward at this stage.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 27 Apr 2015 7:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Out saad curren
In acres Webster

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Curren had 1 touch after qtr time. You would think he goes out and he's going to find it really tough now. He needed to make every post a winner. YOu would think Minch would be next to get a run in the seniors. Curren needs to absolutely tear it up in the VFL to even get another shot on the big stage but with Lonie looking creative and skilful and kicking goals as a small forward and Weller making the run with role his own it makes it really hard for Tommy. He just seems a bit too small and not quite talented enough to make it at AFL level.

bigballs
Club Player

In - McKenzie, Minchington, Goddard, Weller.
Out - Saad, Curren, Shenton, Wright.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Updated VFL stats have;
Acres 31 touches
Mckenzie 28
Webster 26
Templeton 19

Surely Acres and Mckenzie come in. Webster probably as well, he's had two games in the ressies since coming back from injury.

For mine McCartin stays in until at least Roo comes back. You just had to see our structure fall apart after he was subbed. He's a big broad guy that attracts the ball and creates a contest.

I don't expect Joey or Roo to play.

Too many smalls, some got to go.

Out
Saad, Curren, Wright

In
Acres, McKenzie, Webster
I really like those changes and give the new guys at least 3-4 weeks to have a crack.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am agreeing with Old Mate. Us geriatrics should stick together. I would like to see McCartin stay until Roos return. He would learn a lot from Roo. It is not aas if anyone in the seconds is playing well enough to put him out of the team.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Out: McCartin (we need to be patient, will be a gun); Shenton; Curren; Schneider & Saad

In: Riewoldt (hopefully); Weller; Webster, Acres & Montagna

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Out: McCartin (we need to be patient, will be a gun); Shenton; Curren; Schneider & Saad

Why would you want to drop Schneider?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Out: McCartin (we need to be patient, will be a gun); Shenton; Curren; Schneider & Saad

Well they wont and its silly suggesting it. It will happen but not whilst he is doing better than most.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well they wont and its silly suggesting it. It will happen but not whilst he is doing better than most.
Well, nice to see we agree on something.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

We are getting smashed in the midfield and have a glut of players who can play small forward but can't really contribute in the middle. Saad and Schneider are two who come to mind. Schneider has the skill to do it, for sure, but not sure about the tank. What do you think?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

We are getting smashed in the midfield and have a glut of players who can play small forward but can't really contribute in the middle. Saad and Schneider are two who come to mind. Schneider has the skill to do it, for sure, but not sure about the tank. What do you think?

Well firstly I think he is playing midfield or he is averaging the most ever disposals for a small forward and the least ever goals with those disposals so I don't think he is an issue. Saad will be dropped this week and I hope we don't fall for Minchington as a replacement otherwise we are just putting in another small forward. Need a mid who may jag a goal.

derby Street
Club Player

Out Membrey , Saad, Curren.

In : Weller (if fit) Acres, McKenzie

RW&B
Club Player

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Weller, Acres and Webster for mine.

Geary, Saad and god knows who else as the outs.

FQF
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:Weller, Acres and Webster for mine.

Geary, Saad and god knows who else as the outs.
Doubt Webster is ready but if he is, like for like with Shenton/Roberton.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:Curren had 1 touch after qtr time. You would think he goes out and he's going to find it really tough now. He needed to make every post a winner. YOu would think Minch would be next to get a run in the seniors. Curren needs to absolutely tear it up in the VFL to even get another shot on the big stage but with Lonie looking creative and skilful and kicking goals as a small forward and Weller making the run with role his own it makes it really hard for Tommy. He just seems a bit too small and not quite talented enough to make it at AFL level.
I said this last year but I reckon he is being played out of position - for me Tommy Curren looks to be the perfect fit for a back pocket player who can shut down the opposition small foward. He is reasonably quick, aggressive, can make a contest in a marking duell and is decent by foot. He reminds me a bit a Brent Geurra who when moved to another club they used him perfectly out of defence - admittedly Geurra was a better kick.

I would like to see him and Geary do a straight swap! Geary kills us with his turnovers out of defence, but I think he has the tools to be a reasonable shut down small forward, similiar to De Boer from Freo!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert Groin. Will he ever get back?

Goddard may not be far away going on Huddo's VFL report. Very impressive and may end up being the better of the Goddards :P