Some Perspective

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some Perspective

MC Gusto wrote:What happens to this thread if we win?

Anyways hysteria aside if you read the op it does insinuate one game is more important to us than the other.

Do I have an issue with that if true? I honestly don't know by know to be honest. Half of me thinks of the business side of things and the strategic long term play and the other half thinks it should be the same effort, preparation and desire no matter the match.
Good summary. Head vs Heart debate is what you're alluding to.

I think you've nailed the whole vibe of this thread!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BakesFan
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
I think you've nailed the whole vibe of this thread!
Mabo?

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think the club is building to ensure that we have an emphatic win on Anzac Day in Wellington. I think the boys are going to hit Carlton like a freight train. Like Tony74 suggested, this game is too important, and another loss is not an option.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Anyways hysteria aside if you read the op it does insinuate one game is more important to us than the other.

Do I have an issue with that if true? I honestly don't know by know to be honest. Half of me thinks of the business side of things and the strategic long term play and the other half thinks it should be the same effort, preparation and desire no matter the match.
We'll start talking about making the eight if I know this place. And nothing wrong with that.... :wink:

bergsone
SS Life Member

Play to win every game every week,that will win over ALL supporters..............both sides of the tasman

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:gringo is on the gear i reckon… he's got that hard-roid-vibe happening... used to be such a nice positive young man, i can remember when he wanted every suburban player in the country on the list, now he wants blood.

You can talk mister grumpy. You used to be nicer than me. I'm having a go at some new supplements they are from a Mexican hepatitis sufferer and donkey scrotum extract. I'm ripped but angry. Anyway I like how it's made Plugger this pleading social justice defender. I might take up the alpha role more often. It's kind of liberating now I know why you went all Kurtz.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I think it's possible to separate the club from the team.
As a team, they are trying to win every game.

As a club, we may gain great long term benefit if we win the NZ game. And yes, there will also be benefit if we win a Friday night match.

I think Tony's posts point to both views, the team and the business realities.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Richo did a presser where he said straight after the game last week, he emphasised to the players how important the Friday night game is because we don't get those sort of showcases often. So this idea of the club not thinking its as important as NZ game is rubbish. Its a chance to get a bit more respect from the competition and fans if we play well which the sponsors and coterie members will love. Tonys point about Collingwood doing their homework on a guy like Bruce is a salient one. Once you pop your head above the trenches, the others clubs can't wait to knock it off. But that's what the big boys deal with week in, week out. We seem to have made sure our fitness is top notch early in the season when our best chances of winning are so we could have that in our favour to balance out the 6 day break. Plus the confidence flowing out of taking the game on last week. Could be interesting.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Both Collingwood and Carlton beat us by 85 points last time we played, so if we beat either or both of them, it will be a massive improvement in my opinion. I think Collingwood's midfield have us covered for now though. Carlton just look more beatable. The fact that if we don't win, the NZ experiement may fail adds an element of no compromise to that match as well. And that can't be underestimated as a motivating factor.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

From The Age this morning, a quote from Richo,

"We spoke about it straight after the game that our footy club doesn't get that opportunity often. We want to make sure we make our supporters and each other proud with the way we apply ourselves. It would be disappointing to not give the same effort as we did against the Suns."

Article :

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... ml328.html

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:I find the response to my post extraordinary. For the records......

I think we can win, the club thinks it can win, the players think they can win. But we/ they all realise Collingwood will put us under a great deal more pressure than GC did.
The NZ game is very important to us.
Our great club would never play for draft picks, and I have never suggested it.

Now that I have that off my chest I'll go back to discussing the game plan with Richo.
Ahh so it is true - we are tanking and accepting mediocrity, have no pride and a losing culture.

Well that's what I got from the above.

You are garbage - Enough said
sainter#4
Club Player

It's astonishing that some people believe we are tanking or picking and choosing where we will apply maximum effort. There is nothing wrong at all with what Tony said and quite frankly the reason that clubs aren't open with supporters is that alot of fans misconstrue the actually meaning of the message being delivered. The fact that sometimes as supporters we believe we should win every match is one of the best parts of being a supporter. But it means when someone tries to be realistic we can't see the truth.

Fact the club is building for a successful future and fact in 2015 our current list cannot go head to head with every side but that doesn't mean we won't apply effort at every contest. Look at all quotes by the coaching staff they talk about effort not the result.

Just take a back seat guys and enjoy watching these guys develop and our club grow this year. There are so many things happening at our club that you will all be very proud of when it all.comes out in the media.

Also appreciate the information that tony74 provides -not many clubs give you an insight the way we have been provided.

FQF
SS Life Member

It looks like Pendles might not get up for our match.

That is a major boost to our chances...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
tony74 wrote:I find the response to my post extraordinary. For the records......

I think we can win, the club thinks it can win, the players think they can win. But we/ they all realise Collingwood will put us under a great deal more pressure than GC did.

Now that I have that off my chest I'll go back to discussing the game plan with Richo.
Ahh so it is true - we are tanking and accepting mediocrity, have no pride and a losing culture.

What I got was why the F%$# are people on the coaching panel or match committee posting on a fan site for idiots? Telling us to not have high expectations. I don't think anyone is cancelling September holidays after one win, most of the people on here were talking of a winless season last week. I only want to know we are going 100% effort and nothing else. And if not 110% would do. I can accept anything from this club but lack of effort in some matches is unacceptable.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

What I got was why the F%$# are people on the coaching panel or match committee posting on a fan site for idiots? Telling us to not have high expectations. I don't think anyone is cancelling September holidays after one win, most of the people on here were talking of a winless season last week. I only want to know we are going 100% effort and nothing else. And if not 110% would do. I can accept anything from this club but lack of effort in some matches is unacceptable.
gringo, just taking the piss mate. To be frank I was very surprised by your posts on this thread. usually you are a pretty cool and thoughtful poster. The hyperbole and OTT comment are my domain and don't forget it :D

This is not a challenge as I don't know you at all, but playing a competitive sport by ultra competitive sportsman will bring out the effort each and every time. I know when in the olden days when I played competitive sport, even if my team was completely outclassed, I would bust a gut and try as hard as I could.

As I was a pretty crap sportsman it was usually never good enough. Now a footballer who has reached AFL level has more drive, ability, competiveness and will than most of us.

I reckon even if they were instructed to not try, well for a start they would lose ALL respect for the coach, and then they would completely disregard the instruction and give it a red hot go.

On Friday the Saints will give it all they have, will it be enough to win? Who knows? heavy legs, young minds, undersized bodies, less skill. This is what will beat us, not the players effort.

Oh and if you are expecting 110% you will be disappointed. 100% is the maximum anyone can ever give. :P

You are garbage - Enough said
Megamaguire
Club Player

B E A T I N G C O L L 'W D

Glad AR is apparently V.keen in particular coming up against Coll'wood. Stressing the importance of putting on a good show on Friday night (like the Saints regularly did not too long ago).
Beating the pies would be a great confidence injection into this 2015 'development' year.
Here is an opportunity (as underdogs) for these Sainters to make a name for themselves.

G O F O R I T S A I N T E R S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Milne
Club Player

We will beat Collingwood this week.

I have put my money where my mouth is at 3-1.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

You seriously don't think Tony is on the coaching panel or match committee surely. If you have a look at his older poste he was just a person who watched training a lot. Even asked for tickets to games so he certainly wasn't employed. My guess now is they saw him at training all the time and maybe asked him to help out. he then may have done a training course or something like that. As if he is on match committee. No ide why you think there would be lack off effort from what has been posted. Are you ok??

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

You seriously don't think Tony is on the coaching panel or match committee surely. If you have a look at his older poste he was just a person who watched training a lot. Even asked for tickets to games so he certainly wasn't employed. My guess now is they saw him at training all the time and maybe asked him to help out. he then may have done a training course or something like that. As if he is on match committee. No ide why you think there would be lack off effort from what has been posted. Are you ok??
I'm sure he is either an employee or volunteer who enriches this place with great information. But I agree, I doubt he is on the coaching panel. I assume Tony meant that he was going to have a friendly chat with Richo about the game plan. No one sitting around the match committee table will be logged onto Saintsational reading the 'guess this weeks ins and outs thread".

gringo
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

I'm sure he is either an employee or volunteer who enriches this place with great information. But I agree, I doubt he is on the coaching panel. I assume Tony meant that he was going to have a friendly chat with Richo about the game plan. No one sitting around the match committee table will be logged onto Saintsational reading the 'guess this weeks ins and outs thread".
i was being a bit facetious I don' think he's really a coach. I like his input just don't like the message.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Must admit, still can't see what was wrong wth my original post. If I hadn't put in the NZ bit I'm sure there wouldn't have been the uproar. And Plugger just to clear one thing up. I gave never asked for tickets, just to swap a couple of GF seats that I had been allocated so that I could go to the game with the people who I had stood with in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc.
Make of that as you will.

Saint wagga
Club Player

If the match committee meeting is as boring and uninsightful as some of that drivle served up pre draft on the club website (where the best our supposed expert scouts could come up with was "comes from a good country family, good lad bla bla bla), then i'm pretty sure Tony74 is happy not to be on the match committee ;-)

Thought Richo nearly let the cat out of the bag with how much influence he has on selection at his last presser when he nearly said "I" instead of "We" with regards to match committee selection...

FWIW, i think 99% of what is said at these pressers is spin and generic boring bla bla...I used to get peeved with Watters pressers about never getting stra9ight answers and as much as i like Richo and I do, he doesn't give up any more insight, perhaps just less BS and doesn't do it with that annoying grin that Watters used to have :-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Must admit, still can't see what was wrong wth my original post. If I hadn't put in the NZ bit I'm sure there wouldn't have been the uproar. And Plugger just to clear one thing up. I gave never asked for tickets, just to swap a couple of GF seats that I had been allocated so that I could go to the game with the people who I had stood with in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc.
Make of that as you will.

Well if you are that age im going with you being a trainer. I might ask Luke O'Brien or Julie Rackstraw who Tony 74 is.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Are u name dropping Plugger?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Easier to ask Richo.