The next Milney?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

The next Milney?

I know it's going very very early, but we haven't got too much else to be overly positive about after rd 1 loss so I thought I'd throw this chrystal baller out there. Jack Lonie has shown enough IMO to get really excited about as a small creative forward pocket. His size, evasiveness, ability to create space out of knowhere and acceleration of the mark remind me heaps of when Milney was in his younger days. It's putting a huge expectation on the kid likening him to a recently retired club legend and one of the most prolific forward pockets of all time, but there is a lot to like about our pick no 41. So much has to go right, including a large slice of luck on the injury side of things, but I'm really hoping he can become a 200+ gamer for us and part of our next successful era, looks like a very likeable young lad!

Other peoples thoughts? I get the vibe on here there is overwhelming positivity towards the little fella.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: The next Milney?

Twice on Sunday I thought he was absolutely going to get caught with the ball and both times he managed to duck, weave, fend and baulk his way into position to get a decent kick. Pretty impressive from a first gamer.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saint-stu
Club Player

His ducking, weaving, foot skills, goal sense and height all remind me of Milney.

He seems to be a harder worker than Milney though. Milney took quite a long time to develop a defensive game, and Lonie appears to have that already. His 1%er highlights were shown by Monty as the reason why he was selected to play in the first game.

I really hope he can be an exciting small forward like Steve. He was definitely a fan favourite.

1ac46a38
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

It is such a pleasure when he gets the ball in his hands to know he can kick it to one of our guys instead of one of their guys.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hope he becomes a mid resting forward to be honest. And I think he will be a mid.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Hope he becomes a mid resting forward to be honest. And I think he will be a mid.
I hope so, too, though he's pretty slight and small which may count against him. As I said in another thread, he's slippery as a bucketful of snot. Could be a very good player

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote: we haven't got too much else to be overly positive about after rd 1 loss .
Bruce was a positive

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Milne never had a defensive side to his game and was one sided. Amazing he kicked so many goals

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:I know it's going very very early, but we haven't got too much else to be overly positive about after rd 1 loss so I thought I'd throw this chrystal baller out there. Jack Lonie has shown enough IMO to get really excited about as a small creative forward pocket. His size, evasiveness, ability to create space out of knowhere and acceleration of the mark remind me heaps of when Milney was in his younger days. It's putting a huge expectation on the kid likening him to a recently retired club legend and one of the most prolific forward pockets of all time, but there is a lot to like about our pick no 41. So much has to go right, including a large slice of luck on the injury side of things, but I'm really hoping he can become a 200+ gamer for us and part of our next successful era, looks like a very likeable young lad!

Other peoples thoughts? I get the vibe on here there is overwhelming positivity towards the little fella.
The kid shows some ability, but there will never be another Milne. Never.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Milne will never be replaced - he had his critics sure - GT was one of them - but Milne is a once in a generation player and they only come along once - well, in a generation.
Like Lockett - sure we have had Gehrig since, but he was not another Lockett.
Players like Lockett and Milne are very special, and like Winmar can be trouble and sometimes we wonder whether they are worth all the drama; then they retire or get traded in old age and we realise just how much they were worth all the trouble.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

People forget how good Milne was as a lead-up player.

A few times when we were missing Roo and Kosi for extended periods, Milne would play from the goal square. He took a lot of marks inside 50 over his career, hence his reputation for taking on the man on the mark. Very few players in the history of the game have been able to both kick goals as a leading forward, and as a crumbing forward at the same time.

Lonie is much more like a genuine crumbing forward. He, like Eli, Sinclair, Saad etc. need extra bows to their games to become great AFL players. The days of being a permanent forward pocket are gone.

Milne would struggle for an opportunity at AFL level if he was 18 year old right now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I am excited by Lonie too.

But I do not see him at all in the "Milne" mould.

He is more a "Schneider type" or even mid.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milne
Club Player

I am irreplaceable, but Lonie looks the goods :)

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

yep - skills of schneider and evasiveness of Milney. Kid looks like like he could develop into an absolute beauty.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
OldGeorgeYoung
Club Player

Hopefully Lonie is the next Lonie (his own man) and we're saying that the kid we've drafted in 2029 is promising and hopefully will be half as good as Lonie :)

If we don't have hope. All is lost.
Freebird
Club Player

Milne turned the ball over terribly and was selfish in many of his years I hope Lonie does not suffer these traits....Milne was exciting who won and lost games but drew the crowds

matrix
Saintsational Legend

goal kicking midfielder
gun potential all over him

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:goal kicking midfielder
gun potential all over him
He needs to not be a small forward for his career as the % chance of him making it a good/meaningful is really low.

Milne was an absolute freak both for his talents but also longevity. Similar to Roo, we should not look for replacements, just a bunch of above average players that ideally can win us the thing.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:People forget how good Milne was as a lead-up player.

A few times when we were missing Roo and Kosi for extended periods, Milne would play from the goal square. He took a lot of marks inside 50 over his career, hence his reputation for taking on the man on the mark. Very few players in the history of the game have been able to both kick goals as a leading forward, and as a crumbing forward at the same time.

Lonie is much more like a genuine crumbing forward. He, like Eli, Sinclair, Saad etc. need extra bows to their games to become great AFL players. The days of being a permanent forward pocket are gone.

Milne would struggle for an opportunity at AFL level if he was 18 year old right now.
Yes, Milnes first couple of years he was a knee high FF. What was astounding about Milne was he was able to adapt and reinvent himself over and over.

Lonie looks a gun so far but I hate crowing early on guys. He is definitely a guy you enjoy watching.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

There's a guy at West Coast. Goes by the name of Jamie Cripps. He is good for a couple of goals every week. Could be the next Milney. Oh, wait ...

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Same height as Lewis Taylor at Brisbane. Same height as our own Andrew Thompson from a few years back. Just needs another 5kg on his frame before he can move into a regular midfield role.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Same height as Lewis Taylor at Brisbane. Same height as our own Andrew Thompson from a few years back. Just needs another 5kg on his frame before he can move into a regular midfield role.
Better fatten him up quickly then because we need some class in the midfield fast

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I actually see quite a bit of Rioli in how Lonie plays. Missing the explosive speed but has shown fantastic hands and ball reading so far, that ball-on-a-string thing when its loose, ability to set up his forwards and that x-factor unpredictability. Hopefully can also go onball as an impact player to provide something different. Small forwards have to push up the field quite a lot anyway these days.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Lonie moves just like a young Schneider...............hence his nickname

not a milne type

saint4life
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Definately got that goal sneak skill set. That little dribble kick and a couple fakes and sidesteps around the ground was great to watch.