Saintsational is slowly dying.

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saintsational is slowly dying.

Just had a squiz at the past 6 months of new posters signing up. There are a few but the number that have made at least 10 posts is only about 10.

My point is that as we gradually lose regular posters (that's reality), we are not getting them replaced by new regulars. The only newbie that posts regularly is IanRush.

Very much like our footy team it seems!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saintsational is slowly dying.

Every time there was one of these threads in the past, I would argue it wasn't the case.

I can't any longer.

I wish you could like, unlike posts.

I wish you could upload images easier.

I wish quality posters hadn't left.

I wish there wasn't such negative player threads.

Probably other stuff too.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Slanging matches between particular posters has not helped. The endless cutting and pasting of others' posts in an attempt to emphasise and antagonise is a part of that. There are some who come on here with what seems to be a determination to be contrarian and antagonistic at all times. None of that helps.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

While both posts are probably correct, the main reason may be where we are on the ladder and where we will be for the next few years.

I must admit I am drifting more and more to the BF forum for factual football news, while this forum is starting to get a bit like facebook in its analysis.

You are garbage - Enough said
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

The origins of the forum's demise trace back to Saints66auau and a few other cronies that were allowed to pot other posters without any bannings. Selective moderation killed the forum.

Oh and that weirdo Andrew de...something (Milan Faletic) going absolutely bananas once

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

The on field performances have little to do with it IMO.

It was the ridiculous slanging matches & great discussions that are highjacked by a select few that drove me away.

I only occasionally bother to look at SS now. Sad ...as it was a great place to interact with other mad Saints not so long ago.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:The on field performances have little to do with it IMO.

It was the ridiculous slanging matches & great discussions that are highjacked by a select few that drove me away.

I only occasionally bother to look at SS now. Sad ...as it was a great place to interact with other mad Saints not so long ago.
Agreed. I am just finding ways to get permanently banned.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:

Don't do that Redeemer we all value your input

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

Similar to you and buddy buddy's that ruined the forum a while back.

It is ok, just ignore it. You were given a free reign to abuse anyone you liked <edited by mods>

bigballs
Club Player

I have been a member on here for nearly 2 years now and I must say when I first joined, the slanging matches between certain posters on here was laughable at first. It is still laughable now nearly 2 years on, but it is getting to the stage now where it is becoming a bit annoying at times because so many threads have been ruined by all the constant bickering.

I was a member on Saints Central when it was going before one particular poster single handedly ruined it for everyone else with his constant unwarranted abuse on other posters. Most of the members on there had some great discussions with other members until that prick came along. The language, insults and just plain utter filth coming out of that persons posts was absolutely disgusting which ultimately led to the site being closed down permanently.

I don't think this site will suffer the same fate as Saints Central did because it is being moderated, Saints Central wasn't.

Hopefully all the personal attacks on certain posters will become less frequent and we can all get on with what we all came on here to do in the first place........talk about footy!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Apart from us masocists and die hards, who wants to talk Saints when we're losing every week.

Things will turn, don't worry, when the club's fortunes do.

Should we ever win three in a row the place will be positvely jumping with newbies.

it's true that the slanging matches and trolling makes it a less fun place than it could be, though.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

bigballs wrote:I have been a member on here for nearly 2 years now and I must say when I first joined, the slanging matches between certain posters on here was laughable at first. It is still laughable now nearly 2 years on, but it is getting to the stage now where it is becoming a bit annoying at times because so many threads have been ruined by all the constant bickering.

I was a member on Saints Central when it was going before one particular poster single handedly ruined it for everyone else with his constant unwarranted abuse on other posters. Most of the members on there had some great discussions with other members until that prick came along. The language, insults and just plain utter filth coming out of that persons posts was absolutely disgusting which ultimately led to the site being closed down permanently.

I don't think this site will suffer the same fate as Saints Central did because it is being moderated, Saints Central wasn't.

Hopefully all the personal attacks on certain posters will become less frequent and we can all get on with what we all came on here to do in the first place........talk about footy!!
But when I bring up that Jarryn Geary cannot kick, I get abused from certain posters that follow me around.

Go figure?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

It is ok, just ignore it. You were given a free reign to abuse anyone you liked because you were sleeping with the boss.
See - more quality posting from a quality human being.

Just cant understand why people don't want to post here anymore with this type of excellence.

FQF
SS Life Member

I actually think that the personal brawls have improved in recent times, probably since BM left.

There are still a number of posters here with good analysis/insight/ideas. We also have tony74 who is invaluable. A few posters can provide good info re Sandy matches. So in my view, there is still good reason to come here. A bit of personal flair is necessary and totally natural when humans interact in any setting.

There is a smallish Saints fan community on Twitter who interact with each other and with journos but 1) they are generally very passionate but often irrational and 2) you can't have much depth with 160 character limit.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

It is ok, just ignore it. You were given a free reign to abuse anyone you liked because you were sleeping with the boss.
See - more quality posting from a quality human being.

Just cant understand why people don't want to post here anymore with this type of excellence.
and as per usual, avoiding the fact your <edited by mods> gave you a free reign.

bigballs
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
bigballs wrote:I have been a member on here for nearly 2 years now and I must say when I first joined, the slanging matches between certain posters on here was laughable at first. It is still laughable now nearly 2 years on, but it is getting to the stage now where it is becoming a bit annoying at times because so many threads have been ruined by all the constant bickering.

But when I bring up that Jarryn Geary cannot kick, I get abused from certain posters that follow me around.

Go figure?
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, we all know that.

Unfortunately some posters can't help themselves, they obviously get a kick out of abusing people. It's very easy to put your point across without personal attacks. Obviously the certain posters you are referring to have a grudge against you for reasons I don't know of.

I guess the old saying goes......it takes two to tango!!

.....and for what it's worth, Gears isn't the best kick around, but he makes up for it with guts and determination imo.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I've not been on here long, so not really qualified to comment on how this forum was beyond a couple of seasons ago, but i must say, I love the occassional input from actual club sources like Tony74 and Jaxons, they are really exciting to get the inside take with a bit of mystery and intrigue!! Other than, that, sometimes good threads get swamped with personal battles, but generally, the good debatable posts are good reading.

There are clearly some strong opinions out there, but i guess this forum is where they come, fanatics debating with other fanatics. If we were just sort of casually interested in the saints, i dare say, we wouldn't be spending time on a dedicated saints forum so heated debate is to be expected.

Maybe mods could just shut threads down a bit quicker when they become swamped with an obvious 2 person squabble. Nip it in the bud quickly.

Just my thoughts.

GRAMophone
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote:I've not been on here long, so not really qualified to comment on how this forum was beyond a couple of seasons ago, but i must say, I love the occassional input from actual club sources like Tony74 and Jaxons, they are really exciting to get the inside take with a bit of mystery and intrigue!! Other than, that, sometimes good threads get swamped with personal battles, but generally, the good debatable posts are good reading.

There are clearly some strong opinions out there, but i guess this forum is where they come, fanatics debating with other fanatics. If we were just sort of casually interested in the saints, i dare say, we wouldn't be spending time on a dedicated saints forum so heated debate is to be expected.

Maybe mods could just shut threads down a bit quicker when they become swamped with an obvious 2 person squabble. Nip it in the bud quickly.

Just my thoughts.
'Like'

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

There are 3, maybe 4 posters on here who have driven a lot of people away.

When I was a mod here I had atleast a dozen people ask if we can ban a single poster who hadn't actually broken any rules.

That poster is still active and is continuing to keep people away.

Unfortunate really.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely no doubt that season 2014 killed the passion for so many Saints supporters whether you like it or not. We are a club who had good era in the 2000s, played finals, then got itself into huge financial difficulties, and if that wasn't enough, coughed up $500k it couldn't afford, to remove a coach in order to keep a few prima-donnas happy..if that doesn't spell weakness, then nothing does. Top this off with a pathetic 2014 season, and that's the outcome.
We as Sainters can only hope that season 2015 sees more competitiveness and wins, plus a solid business effort. People are not interested in potential or hope- they want success, and if they don't get it, they look elsewhere, and Saintsational seems to show that.

loris
Saintsational Legend

I'm not so certain that it's our lowly position on the ladder that has put off some long time posters on this site.

I know personally of a number of posters from WA who previously posted on this site A LOT, and they still have renewed their membership to the Club this year. They aren't supporters who joined during the winning years. They all go back to supporting the Saints from 1970's -80's. Most of these members are original posters from the first Saintsational days. Over the past 2 seasons they have dropped off with their posting.

Discussions I have had with them, usually the common responses - the hijacking of threads by the usual suspects has deterred them from posting plus the degeneration into personal slanging matches. They tell me they still log onto the site to catch up on the latest Saints info from good posters, as we don't get much media coverage in WA, but find the rest boring and useless.

Sad really to lose long term Sainters and long term posters. Just saying......................

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Poor recruitment I blame John Beveridge and the Geelong saboteur John Peake.
We need to have scouts all across the country looking for lunatics,

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Whilst we have had trouble attracting new members - the stats on this site show we average 40-80 daytime "unique" readers at any one time during a weekday and 100 -150 unique readers per night ... With an average weekday being 150 to 200 unique readers per day.

These are just the registered members who log in.

For Internet forums these I am told are strong numbers in this day and age of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Our key problems are:

- many left due to historical moderation problems that we hope we have somewhat addressed with new rules and moderators

- many are "gun shy" to post because they don't want to enter into an argument and see the bickering here - we do try to move the worst of it to the Animal Enclosure but that isn't instantaneous so some readers will get to it before we do.

- we struggle to attract new forum members now that the club itself uses social media so well - we have updated the forum software as far as we can (added tapatalk for mobile phone users; features that help the reader find last post in threads or responses to posts they made etc but the software is limiting) and I don't want to swap software platforms for fear of losing the historic posts.

I shall look to see if the software has updated to allow LIKE buttons.

I had proposed relaunching and reinvigorating saintsational.com as a website and app and fought over it publicly to just give up but now I think we have little choice but to integrate ourselves within the Saints social media landscape and expose this forum site to a much wider audience wanting to discuss all things Saints.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The best way to avoid bickering is by not being notified when someone responds to your posts. Problem is that the ego gets in the way.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

I enjoy reading all the stuff! The bickering, differnt points of views that become heated...

Can you possibly imagine the kind of vomit material that is on a Bummer forum? And all of them still believe in their team?