WHO replaces Ross in midfield?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

WHO replaces Ross in midfield?

It was obvious that Richo had Ross pegged to play a major midfield role this year, so with his injury who replaces him in that inside role?

1. Acres from wing to inside mids.
2. Release Weller from tagging roles.
3. Curren to take on the role or tag.
4. Upgrade Sinclair to fill the role.
5. Minchington who seems more of an outside mid.
6. Wright or Webster?

As slow as Ross is he did have some unique ball winning capacities and looked to be dominating before his injury on the weekend. Lets hope with his loss whoever gets the chance takes it with both hands as it can only strenghten our midfield in the long term!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: WHO replaces Ross in midfield?

I'd go for Webster.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think we all might be getting a little romantic about Ross's stature...

The guy was fringe last year in the 18th side, has played 2 decent practice matches - one against a VFL side.

Played roughly 70% of both matches for 14 & 15 touches, 4 & 3 tackles, 4 & 2 clearances and a goal each game. Pretty good stuff really, but we are talking NAB cup against 2 ordinary sides.

With a full list to choose from Ross would still be on the fringe of our best 22 IMO. His impact on games at the moment is around the same mark as Curren/Weller/Geary/Saunders... We won't miss him too much.

PJ
SS Life Member

Upgrade Sinclair

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
FQF
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Upgrade Sinclair
Would like to see Sinclair get a chance - he's a natural midfielder (unlike Wright, Minch, Webster) who I reckon (based on very little) has a higher ceiling than Curren.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well I was surprised to see Sinclair is already 20yo.
A full 8 months older than Blake Acres and 6 months older than Eli.

Make of that what you will but he is close in age to Luke Dunstan and seems to have the body to compete already. Absolute Nugget. I suppose it comes down to Sinclair v Curren. Both will get an opportunity you'd think.

p.s
Anyone impatient with Acres progress should take note of his age. Hes still just 19.5yo. Is going to be an absolute beast by 21.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I think Sinclair will get first opportunity in the middle.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Give Minchington a go.

Credited with two clearances on the weekend.
We promoted him, might as well use him.

loris
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:Give Minchington a go.

He seems to have really bulked up with some muscle since last season. IMHO, thought he looked a triffle too heavy in the thighs............... hope his hammies can tolerate the stress !

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

To me this opens up the perfect vacancy for Mav Weller to step up as a full time, blue collar, in and under mid to take some of the load off Armo. I'm worried about Mavs disposal but his other attributes fit this well - huge body, tough with a bit of aggro, apparently he's been training the house down so should be fit to get to a lot of contests, in the leadership group so can help drive the team by leading from the engine room, likes the occasional poaching goal too. This is a great opportunity for Mav to prove he'll be more than just a run with player/big bodied cannon fodder for us while we bring up the kids. These are the sort of opportunities he needs to grasp with both hands.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

If who replaces Ross in the midfield then whats going to replace who

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
mick13
Club Player

dragit wrote:I think we all might be getting a little romantic about Ross's stature...

The guy was fringe last year in the 18th side, has played 2 decent practice matches - one against a VFL side.

Played roughly 70% of both matches for 14 & 15 touches, 4 & 3 tackles, 4 & 2 clearances and a goal each game. Pretty good stuff really, but we are talking NAB cup against 2 ordinary sides.

With a full list to choose from Ross would still be on the fringe of our best 22 IMO. His impact on games at the moment is around the same mark as Curren/Weller/Geary/Saunders... We won't miss him too much.
45% of the second game. And was our 3rd highest possession getter at the time he was injured. I'd say his impact is slightly higher than that of Curren (gets more of it), as well as being a much better user of the ball than all of them, especially Curren and Saunders. Weller's attack on the ball and man is intense, as is his ball winning ability at the contest, but he tends to just boot the ball as far as he can, whereas Ross seems to have a lot of time with the ball and usually makes a good decision. All 4 of Ross, Saunders, Curren and Weller are still forging (perhaps playing for in Curren's case) their careers - it's a shame to lose Ross to a serious injury right now because he was just starting to look like he belonged - even if it was a sub-par opposition.

At the moment, we won't miss too much, agree there. But I think his potential is much greater and it's a shame that this is going to come in the way of him reaching it, at least this year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:To me this opens up the perfect vacancy for Mav Weller to step up as a full time, blue collar, in and under mid to take some of the load off Armo. I'm worried about Mavs disposal but his other attributes fit this well - huge body, tough with a bit of aggro, apparently he's been training the house down so should be fit to get to a lot of contests, in the leadership group so can help drive the team by leading from the engine room, likes the occasional poaching goal too. This is a great opportunity for Mav to prove he'll be more than just a run with player/big bodied cannon fodder for us while we bring up the kids. These are the sort of opportunities he needs to grasp with both hands.
In & under mid is such a dinosaur concept bluthy, all midfielders need to be inside/outside/skilful/tough., it's all about versatility. :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:Give Minchington a go.

+1
Id like to see Minch get a fair opportunity.
Contracted until the end of this year only.
21yo.
Its now or never for him.
At least deserves a fair opportunity to answer the question one way or the other.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Billings or Ray would be alright....hang on.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Billings or Ray would be alright....hang on.
Yeah, unfortunately when we come to replacement options we are a little hamstrung ImageImage

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote: he's a natural midfielder (unlike Wright, Minch, Webster)
what makes someone a natural middielder?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Bluthy wrote:To me this opens up the perfect vacancy for Mav Weller to step up as a full time, blue collar, in and under mid to take some of the load off Armo. I'm worried about Mavs disposal but his other attributes fit this well - huge body, tough with a bit of aggro, apparently he's been training the house down so should be fit to get to a lot of contests, in the leadership group so can help drive the team by leading from the engine room, likes the occasional poaching goal too. This is a great opportunity for Mav to prove he'll be more than just a run with player/big bodied cannon fodder for us while we bring up the kids. These are the sort of opportunities he needs to grasp with both hands.
In & under mid is such a dinosaur concept bluthy, all midfielders need to be inside/outside/skilful/tough., it's all about versatility. :D
Well played, Mr Dragit. Well played. :lol: Ideally yes and its something hopefully we will work towards with drafting and development. In the here and now however we have to deal with what we currently have and we need another big body (or two) to help Armo at stoppages.

Gershwin
Club Player

How many do you need in the midfield? 8? (3 across the centre line), 2 followers, 3 on the bench).
Then I would go: Steven, Armitage, Montagna, Dunstan, Newnes, Weller, Savage and Curran.

summertime and the living is easy ........
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:How many do you need in the midfield? 8? (3 across the centre line), 2 followers, 3 on the bench).
Then I would go: Steven, Armitage, Montagna, Dunstan, Newnes, Weller, Savage and Curran.

About 12 I would think.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's an opening for Mav to make his own.

I like Minchington, but in the pocket, closer to goal.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Always felt Wright would progress into the midfield in time,injuries made have stunted that,now could be a opening to do that

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:If who replaces Ross in the midfield then whats going to replace who
I Don't Know!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:If who replaces Ross in the midfield then whats going to replace who
Hugh can't play midfield. And even if he could, Watts is no longer there to replace Hugh in Defence.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Hugh can't play midfield. And even if he could, Watts is no longer there to replace Hugh in Defence.
Good one Dr Spacey, good one :P :P :P