Jack Lonie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Jack Lonie

I didn't see the game but the stats say he had:

17 disposals at 82% efficiency
0 clangers
1 mark inside 50
5 inside 50s
4 goal assists
1 goal

And he only played three quarters. Sounds like a pretty good all-round small forward performance! Keep in mind no-one else on the ground had more than 1 goal assist.

Quoted at 174cm and 67kg, he's by no means massive but is he maybe big enough to play 10 or 15 games in a forward pocket?

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jack Lonie

From the little I've seen this pre-season, he's possibly the most 'ready' of the recurits. A possibility for round 1 perhaps?

Reckon I notticed him do some usefull stuff in the middle, he may be a mid who can go forward..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gun player.
174cm with below average pace but hes very good.

Just goes to show a good footy player will always beat a good 'athlete'.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Lock him in for round 1. He really impressed me with his footy smarts. Ripped the game apart early in the last quarter. A lovely kick.

Everybody I spoke with at the game were nodding in agreement. Pretty unheralded before the draft; we'll hear plenty about him this year.

Saint supporter since '62
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Lock him in for round 1. He really impressed me with his footy smarts. Ripped the game apart early in the last quarter. A lovely kick.

Everybody I spoke with at the game were nodding in agreement. Pretty unheralded before the draft; we'll hear plenty about him this year.
+ 1
I know he doesn't get enough of it but I am always impressed with Minch when he plays. Our small fwd brigade is very very good.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Agree Con. If Minch and Lonie learn to get more of the ball we will get more venom in the forward line.

As an aside, I am sure the "rookie" #38 today showed plenty of smarts as well. On top of Milney retiring at the end of 2013 we missed Ahmed last year.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

2015 version of Lewy Taylor

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Lonie's size is a bit of a worry. The game seems to be going past the smaller players in general but you'll always have exceptions. Minchington must be cursing the day Lonie walked into the club. I can't see them both being in the team and Lonie is showing stacks more than the Minch already.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:Lonie's size is a bit of a worry. The game seems to be going past the smaller players in general but you'll always have exceptions. Minchington must be cursing the day Lonie walked into the club. I can't see them both being in the team and Lonie is showing stacks more than the Minch already.
Lonie will never be a giant. He is, however, a footballer. With football smarts. Not too many of these type coming through the system these days. I look forward to Lonie and Minch battling for a position in the team. We will just have to wait and see.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jones started at 176 and 64kg
He went ok for lightweight

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Lonie's size is a bit of a worry. The game seems to be going past the smaller players in general but you'll always have exceptions. Minchington must be cursing the day Lonie walked into the club. I can't see them both being in the team and Lonie is showing stacks more than the Minch already.

What? Did you watch the game or watch the measuring tape?

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Mosquito fleet did well today. Lonie, Saad, Minch

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Milne went a few times to his scool or football team to assist him I think.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Milne went a few times to his scool or football team to assist him I think.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

So is his nickname "The Ranger" or is it "Abba" ?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Did you not watch Lewis Taylor last year?? He is smaller than Lonie and seems to do alright. It just proves that if you have ability then height doesn't matter as much

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Did you not watch Lewis Taylor last year?? He is smaller than Lonie and seems to do alright. It just proves that if you have ability then height doesn't matter as much
The problem is in finals where there is no space the small players tend to be squeezed out and struggle to make an impact. Milney always struggled in prelims and grannies to replicate the damage he could do through the year. Rioli has that explosive pace to separate him from the pack. From his highlights package Lonie shows that mecurial "ball on a string tapping in front of him" to get it out of crowded situations so that might give him the edge needed. And his disposal has been first class so that is a real weapon. Need to see if he can still be impactful in a genuine game against suffocating teams like Swans and Hawks or will he tend to be bouncing off players uselessly. Your great disposal becomes pointless if you can't get your hands on the ball.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
The problem is in finals where there is no space the small players tend to be squeezed out and struggle to make an impact. Milney always struggled in prelims and grannies to replicate the damage he could do through the year. Rioli has that explosive pace to separate him from the pack. From his highlights package Lonie shows that mecurial "ball on a string tapping in front of him" to get it out of crowded situations so that might give him the edge needed. And his disposal has been first class so that is a real weapon. Need to see if he can still be impactful in a genuine game against suffocating teams like Swans and Hawks or will he tend to be bouncing off players uselessly. Your great disposal becomes pointless if you can't get your hands on the ball.

Im not sure we should be worrying about what Lonie may or may not be able to do in finals. Anyway I would suggest most forwards, tall or small, struggle in finals. Im certainly not worried by his height. Hopefully he will prove a bargain. We need the Steven, Joey type bargain's to get back up the ladder because one wont do it on its own.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

A more 'structured' footballer than Milne but of course, only Milney had that incredibly elastic movement and unbelievable goal sense.

Different style of player but one who is going to be very effective for us for a very long time, especially if our forwards create spillages.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

There will never be another Milne.

He was unique. One of a kind.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He is much more a of a Schneider than a Milne.

Like everyone else I am loving what I have seen.

We have lacked smart footballers who are also good ball users, and Lonie looks to be both.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:He is much more a of a Schneider than a Milne.

Like everyone else I am loving what I have seen.

We have lacked smart footballers who are also good ball users, and Lonie looks to be both.
Gee whizz hes like Schneider. The way he shifts to his left foot. He seems quite tough. And hes relatively slow but reads the play better than everyone else and hits the ball at top speed.
Reminds me heaps of Schneider.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Jack lonie

Deserves a thread!
Just watching the replay and this kid can play footy! Just a natural - finds the space, is very aware of his surroundings and uses it well.

#1 Ryder fan
karnaby
Club Player

Re: Jack lonie

Yes. I thought he had quite a few bright moments on Saturday. When he got near the ball he seemed intent on staying there with good 2nd efforts.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack lonie

MC Gusto wrote:Deserves a thread!
Has one - here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88224