Onya Gil - lower food prices at The MCG!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Onya Gil - lower food prices at The MCG!

Great to see.

Hot dogs $2.50 less along with the other discounts.

Great pressure and listening by Gil has helped this outcome.

Now for Etihad to naturally follow or they'll cop a massive PR outcry.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: Onya Gil - lower food prices at The MCG!

Kudos to who ever is responsible !!!

In red white and black from 73
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Great to see.

Yep but will it matter if there PR is bad? I will still go to watch my club whatever the price of food. If the PR bad would people actually not go to games? Not to many I would think but I think the prices may come down a little. The funny thing in all this outrage about price is the AFL copped it but weren't good at saying it isn't just AFL. All sports have pretty the same prices at games but the AFL seem to be the only one to get the bad publicity.

Grrrrr
Club Player

My guess is that MCC dropped the "catering right" % (from memory it was around 30% of turnover), which in turn led to a decrease in retail price set by Spotless.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Well done Gil - he does seem to be listening.

However, anyone who buys food at the venue, well, good luck.

(I'd rather support the little guy trying to make ends meet somewhere close by...)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yep but will it matter if there PR is bad? I will still go to watch my club whatever the price of food. If the PR bad would people actually not go to games? Not to many I would think but I think the prices may come down a little. The funny thing in all this outrage about price is the AFL copped it but weren't good at saying it isn't just AFL. All sports have pretty the same prices at games but the AFL seem to be the only one to get the bad publicity.
Crowds were down a lot last year plugs as you know.

Perception is reality and if the negative PR under that the turd Dimwit created continued crowds would likely drop further.

Bit like what our club has done - listen and respond rather than using the big Cypriot Sandpit strategy goes a long way.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Pity we don't play there more than twice

And Etihad is still "talking " to AFL

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Crowds were down a lot last year plugs as you know.

Perception is reality and if the negative PR under that the turd Dimwit created continued crowds would likely drop further.

Bit like what our club has done - listen and respond rather than using the big Cypriot Sandpit strategy goes a long way.

Yes they were down but food prices weren't up so you need a better reason than that. And you again finish with a racist comment. You really cant help yourself SP. If that why you didn't like AD? Because he isn't an Australian, whatever that means. And why would you even mention his name anyway. It isn't even relevant.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Anyone crazy enough to pay big dollars for rubbish food does not have my sympathy , eat before you go or smuggle it in.

Protest with your mouth.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Anyone crazy enough to pay big dollars for rubbish food does not have my sympathy , eat before you go or smuggle it in.

Protest with your mouth.

You don't have to smuggle it in anymore at Etihad and you could always bring it in at the G. I always eat at the footy but I do love takaway.

saint-stu
Club Player

Am I the only one who thinks the price is OK, but the quality is the real problem?

1ac46a38
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

That's a good point, music concerts, other sports, all the same or similar pricing structures.

Pretty simple really, if you don't agree with the prices, don't buy the product.

Good on the AFL and Gil.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

If you have kids games are usually a rushed to event. After going to kids sports etc there is usually the mad scramble to get there. The kids want something to eat and it's easy to spend $50 on what is really just a rubbish snack and you still need to feed them afterwards. A box of chips is around $7.50 and a coke $5.50 or mount franklin water is $4.50 and there is no tap anywhere in either stadium to get a water bottle filled. I usually get the kids sushi and water each and chips to share, get myself a coke or a beer and if you get out of their without spending $50 you ate pretty organised or go with out. It s***s you off because you know if you grabbed them outside it would cost about $20 and probably be better. We went to the derby a few weeks ago at Etihad and discovered that if you get there early there is a Pizza place at the entrance to the shopping mall that has a pizza and drink deal for $10 it actually fills the kids up and stops them wanting more.

The overpricing gives an impression of the AFL and ground management as money gouging opportunists. It is sensible PR IMO.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:If you have kids games are usually a rushed to event. After going to kids sports etc there is usually the mad scramble to get there. The kids want something to eat and it's easy to spend $50 on what is really just a rubbish snack and you still need to feed them afterwards. A box of chips is around $7.50 and a coke $5.50 or mount franklin water is $4.50 and there is no tap anywhere in either stadium to get a water bottle filled. I usually get the kids sushi and water each and chips to share, get myself a coke or a beer and if you get out of their without spending $50 you ate pretty organised or go with out. It s***s you off because you know if you grabbed them outside it would cost about $20 and probably be better. We went to the derby a few weeks ago at Etihad and discovered that if you get there early there is a Pizza place at the entrance to the shopping mall that has a pizza and drink deal for $10 it actually fills the kids up and stops them wanting more.

The overpricing gives an impression of the AFL and ground management as money gouging opportunists. It is sensible PR IMO.
Where exactly is the pizza joint?

Is the ten buck deal a whole small pizza or just a slice?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
gringo wrote:If you have kids games are usually a rushed to event. After going to kids sports etc there is usually the mad scramble to get there. The kids want something to eat and it's easy to spend $50 on what is really just a rubbish snack and you still need to feed them afterwards. A box of chips is around $7.50 and a coke $5.50 or mount franklin water is $4.50 and there is no tap anywhere in either stadium to get a water bottle filled. I usually get the kids sushi and water each and chips to share, get myself a coke or a beer and if you get out of their without spending $50 you ate pretty organised or go with out. It s***s you off because you know if you grabbed them outside it would cost about $20 and probably be better. We went to the derby a few weeks ago at Etihad and discovered that if you get there early there is a Pizza place at the entrance to the shopping mall that has a pizza and drink deal for $10 it actually fills the kids up and stops them wanting more.

Where exactly is the pizza joint?

Is the ten buck deal a whole small pizza or just a slice?
Just as you come up from the spencer street car park in front of the DFO mall thing. It was two big slices and a drink of soft drink or water. Pretty big slices like a small pizza size.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Happens at every single sporting even or concert in a bigger stadium. It isn't just the AFL. matter of fact its the catering at the ground whatever the sport. Anyway its only fun tickets and you take them with you.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

When I go to a Suns with one of the kids ( they are both going with me to the Saints game in a few weeks) I take 2 water bottles which have been in the freezer for a few hours. They thaw whilst driving to near Metricon and then on the bus to the ground. My wife makes heaps of bread rolls with ham and cheese. Also take potato chips and muesli bars. I take a thermos of coffee. Usually buy the kids hot chips or ice creams at half time.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the price is OK, but the quality is the real problem?
I think they're both a problem, SS. At least they've attacked the price side of things. Now onto the quality. Good luck with that, Gil.........

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
saint-stu wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the price is OK, but the quality is the real problem?
I think they're both a problem, SS. At least they've attacked the price side of things. Now onto the quality. Good luck with that, Gil.........

Isnt it just normal takeaway? Seems like the same as any other place you buy a pie or chips or a hot dog. Maybe im biased though as I have lived a takeaway at lunch for the last 36 years and Friday to Sunday nights for the last 28 years.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think our expectations of takeaway might be the product of our environment, plugs. Hot dogs, pies, chips etc. is what the likes of us demanded. These days, when i go to events with my kids (early twenties), they're looking for sushi, wraps, kebabs and salad rolls. While the chippered, fried potato still leads the pack for preference, there is no doubt expectations of quality and variety have risen. Imagine asking for a coffee at Moorabbin in the 80's, p66. At best it would've been some lukewarm water in a styrofoam cup with a scant teaspoon of Nescafé blend 43. And it would've been thrown at you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I think our expectations of takeaway might be the product of our environment, plugs. Hot dogs, pies, chips etc. is what the likes of us demanded. These days, when i go to events with my kids (early twenties), they're looking for sushi, wraps, kebabs and salad rolls. While the chippered, fried potato still leads the pack for preference, there is no doubt expectations of quality and variety have risen. Imagine asking for a coffee at Moorabbin in the 80's, p66. At best it would've been some lukewarm water in a styrofoam cup with a scant teaspoon of Nescafé blend 43. And it would've been thrown at you.

Probably but I have never had a coffee in my life so I reckon a good coffee would taste bad to me. Can you please teach my daughter what to eat.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Chips are the go. Everybody loves them. There's no teaching kids what to eat. Mine love junk as much as the next one, but they kid themselves they eat "healthy" when they're out and about. They eat healthy during the week and then pour gallons of piss and other crap into themselves over the weekends. We can only do our best. In the end, it's entertainment and they don't indulge too often, when you think about it.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Chips are the go. Everybody loves them. There's no teaching kids what to eat. Mine love junk as much as the next one, but they kid themselves they eat "healthy" when they're out and about. They eat healthy during the week and then pour gallons of piss and other crap into themselves over the weekends. We can only do our best. In the end, it's entertainment and they don't indulge too often, when you think about it.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Good stuff Gill!

common sense prevails.