Saints v Brisbane = review thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Brisbane = review thread

Bruce looked very good in the last quarter, I thought, but his kicking was lousy so he needs to do something about that.

Membrey was lively. McCartin certainly doesn't shirk any physical contact and looked poised when he got the ball.

Newnes looks like a big improver and I'm becoming more impressed with Seb Ross. He's not quick, but he seems to find time.

Holmes looks like a competitor, made some good tap outs.

All in all, a promising hitout and it will be interesting to see who puts his hand up for Rd 1

PJ
SS Life Member

Two major concerns

1/ for the majority of the game we were too cautious after taking a mark. Our movement, with the exception of the last quarter, is still very slow and predictable

2/ skill level - hugely frustrating watching players handball it to their team mates feet, or even worse directly in the pathway for their opponent to get it.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

FWIW I don't know why anyone would suggest getting rid of Armo or Steven. Heard the same stuff about Dal and BJ for years too.
And - for those who can't remember back this far - I remember hearing the same comments about Barry Breen as well.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Where did Bruce play?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

positives for me

armo starred

delaney played better than i though possible

eli looks to be better than last year

fish will be a bonus...as will geary

holmes will get a game this year....doesn't look out of place

macartin looks to be a good pick up...as is lonie.

lonie might just replace milne

bruce could havre a good year

roberton, weller and the guy with the tatts

negatives

that horrible music and terry wallace

lee

longer

curren

quality of the picture on full screen

our woeful disposal

terrible negative game plan

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:stkildafc

Saints members - stay tuned to your inbox for Richo's email #NABChallenge

arrived in my inbox this morning- Thanks Richo

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Curran was terrible. Didn't see him get a clean stat

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

That tap out from Holmes at the start of the 4th was sensational.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Curran was terrible. Didn't see him get a clean stat
With Dunstan, Mav and Seb all younger than him youd think hes in a fair bit of trouble.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

There are some great reviews on the team board at bigfooty. One in particular from someone at the game

Interesting that the wind was much stronger in qtr 4 and favoured the Lions.

Considering we ran all over them, it is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Watching the feed i was happy we ran out the game, but to then be informed that we were against, well maybe not a strong wind but a breeze that had picked up is encouraging.

30 degree day, only the first practice match, pretty young team, against the wind, we run all over the Lions who would be more used to the conditions

Would indicate that our team is pretty fit (or theLions are quite unfit).

Anyway some extra info that gives a positive indication

You are garbage - Enough said
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote: skill level - hugely frustrating watching players handball it to their team mates feet, or even worse directly in the pathway for their opponent to get it.
I saw Savage twice under no pressure handball to the feet of a team mate and which resulted in turnovers :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42 wrote:
sainters4eva wrote:Saw Billings in red vest at end of first or second quarter and he was limping.
Anal tightness after a big poo if i read this thread correctly
Don't underestimate the trauma that may be caused by a big dump, particularly after indulging in a bit of chilli.

Vazelos
Club Player

Didn't see the game was in Geelong watching my club from another code but some great feedback here. Interesting to see at the end of the year how many players deliver and change the perceptions of this first game positive or negative. Seems like Tommy Lee is under the gun. Can he be a 'Jason Heatley' or will he end up a Beau Maister and scratched just as we start climbing the ladder.
No doubt some real high level pace mid field class is next on the wish list next year. So many questions on who will keep improving and who will not.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:There are some great reviews on the team board at bigfooty. One in particular from someone at the game

Watching the feed i was happy we ran out the game, but to then be informed that we were against, well maybe not a strong wind but a breeze that had picked up is encouraging.

30 degree day, only the first practice match, pretty young team, against the wind, we run all over the Lions who would be more used to the conditions

Agreed re. the above. Being there, the positives of the contest far, far outweighed the negatives.

Personally I thought the Lions were not much chop and they should have demolished us.

Fitness was not really noted although how much of a collision sport AFL has become stuck out.

Myself, Batnoe and Bardon Saint (hy boyz) were all amazed at how McCartin was crunched a few times both front and back, took his time but got up. The dude can take the pain!

Someone needs to step up as a the second tall defender if Fisher is going to be an attacking weapon again. If nobody does then he now becomes the second stay at home back along with Delaney (god how I was wrong about him).

Bardon Saint
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:There are some great reviews on the team board at bigfooty. One in particular from someone at the game

Agreed re. the above. Being there, the positives of the contest far, far outweighed the negatives.

Personally I thought the Lions were not much chop and they should have demolished us.

Fitness was not really noted although how much of a collision sport AFL has become stuck out.

Myself, Batnoe and Bardon Saint (hy boyz) were all amazed at how McCartin was crunched a few times both front and back, took his time but got up. The dude can take the pain!

Someone needs to step up as a the second tall defender if Fisher is going to be an attacking weapon again. If nobody does then he now becomes the second stay at home back along with Delaney (god how I was wrong about him).
I was at the game against the fence and did not feel any wind at all aside from Batnoe burping after he was drinking his pear juice shandy. Maybe the bigfooty bloke was on a bank and received more breeze? I don't know. I think Richo summed it up well in his post game messages. We just took the game on a lot more.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I wouldn't get too carried away with the "breeze" comment. I was there. There was barely a puff of wind for most of the game - the occasional puff of wind was a godsend as it was hot and humid for most of the first 3 quarters. The sun was behind clouds for most of the last quarter - so it felt more bearable temperature wise and the puffs of wind were more frequent, but you wouldn't call it an advantage. The wind started to pick up after the game and into the early evening - perhaps that is what the reviewer was remembering.

From my perspective, I thought Savage was close to our best in the first half, but in the 2nd half the game pressure got to him and he made lots of unforced errors - but couldn't fault his effort. I haven't watched the vision but from my recollection some of the criticism seems a bit harsh. Fisher looked comfortable back in his sweeping role, and together with a solid Geary, took some pressure off Delaney which allowed Delaney to position himself better for the 1 on 1s.. Shenton harder at the contest that Roberton.

Jack Newnes covered an amazing amount of territory. Would loved to have seen his GPS stats. Dare I say it - shades of Robert Harvey at times when he would be in the back pocket receiving the kick in and then shortly after would be the receiving option at half forward. Seb Ross is still on that incremental improvement journey - slowly getting more confidence at this level. Wont be a superstar this year, but should do enough to play 22 games.

Holmes looked more likely of taking a mark that Longer. Lee seemed to have gone back to the bad old days of 2014.

McCartin runs to the right spots and looks dangerous. Lonie is very smart when the ball is in his area, and once he gets fit enough to push himself harder and get to more contests, he is going to our best small forward by a mile.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Had a look at the replay of Saturday's game last night and although it was a first up hit out against another team, it was generally a good competitive effort, with some strengths and weaknesses. Some positives are the return of Templeton and Saad, and a real highlight for me was Lonie- he has class. McCartin is a natural and just needs development. Membrey is a bonus to have up forward- good competitor and good size. I think Shenton will get games this season- he is hard at the contest, is mobile and seems to have good smarts. Armo's form was very good, but needs to play at that level consistently.
Some of my concerns revolve around the midfield- still not running and spreading hard enough and the defensive work was pretty ordinary on Saturday, they let their opponents run away too easy- not a speed thing, just something the coach needs to work on, as the ball got into the Lions forward line a bit too easy and too often. Dunstan should make a difference when he returns. Steven did a couple of nice things, but I thought he was holding back a bit, and it is crucial for us that he has a good season. Rucks are ordinary, and we can't get Hickey back soon enough, plus like last year, the clearance work around the packs was not good and it's another thing the coach needs to get right.
I get the feeling even at this early stage, that we will improve a few rungs on the ladder this season.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

While Wallace's voice sounds grating after awhile, it was still more enjoyable listening to him and whoever the other guy was, rather than having to mute the volume for the entire season due to the rubbish 'commentary' dished up by seven

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Thanks to Bardon Saint and Zed who rectified the "breeze" issue.

Good to get more info.

Sorry to hear Batnoe was burping all over you

You are garbage - Enough said
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Thanks to Bardon Saint and Zed who rectified the "breeze" issue.

Good to get more info.

It was a blight on my day

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Ross - could be the new diesel William with his handballing.
That is a more outrageous prediction than Molly Meldrum declaring The Knack as the next Beatles!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ross is getting better bit by bit. Saw some encouraging things
McCartin was crashed into by Merrett a few times, yet did not get pushed forward under the contest. It shows he is strong and can hold his ground
Although Savage made some errors, i thought he ran to all the right places. His run is essential.
Newnes, although good, needs to more decisive when delivering the ball into the forward line. Some of his inside 50s were awful

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bardon Saint wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Thanks to Bardon Saint and Zed who rectified the "breeze" issue.

Good to get more info.

It was a blight on my day
yeah but how fit are you looking these days boi?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

One tremendous positive to take from this match is that it looks as though the team's fitness has improved out of sight. We finished with more left in the tank than Brisbane. Last year we would have faded as the game went on.
plugger66 wrote:What do we do with Longer. he can ruck but that's where his game ends. He needs to work harder to get into some space.
He'd want to improve soon. Big Holmes looks eager for a promotion.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Megamaguire
Club Player

Saints' First hit-out

Glad to hear from cwrcyn and a few others that Ross was looking more comfortable in the thick of things. Robbo back and maybe shaping up to help bring more valuable improvement to the defence - yes thanks. Didn't see the game but pleased to hear some good comments about these two.
Happy for Paddy to get his first goal but also show he has a forwards brain and ability.
Eli getting a run around and inspiring some confidence that the ball is safe when he has it is great to hear after his injury challenges from 2014. I usually feel the ball is safe when Robbo is heading towards it or has it so for Eli to generate a similar response in some is encouraging.
It's funny commenting on others' comments but positive comment can become infectious when it comes to these new-look Saints. Brucey and Members looking competitative up front sounds like a tonic especially for the smaller fwds - all about development of coarse but Lonie taking his opportunity is going to help the team beautifully as well as his own prospects. Gotta check what he looks like - all very new still.
Holmes tapping well at times - I'd really love to see Jason go from strength to strength since he rolled the dice and set off across the pacific to have a go at AFL. It's a potentially a great story.

G O S A I N T S :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.