McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin

dragit wrote:Don't think I will ever recover if we take McCartin and he flops while Petracca becomes the gun that everybody is predicting.

We don't want to risk taking a raging bull mid/fwd with a hip problem, but we'll take the chance on an overweight, diabetic & injury prone full forward that is 3 inches shorter than the other key forwards coming through the system.

I'll be gutted if this happens.

Maybe the other forwards are to tall. Rooy and Roughead were about the best forwards this year and they are 193cm. As for being a diabetic well that matters as much as being a left footer. The overweight thing is an advantage because he wont be allowed to be overweight when playing AFL footy so he should become quicker, faster and fitter.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

So who's actually said McCartin?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:Don't think I will ever recover if we take McCartin and he flops while Petracca becomes the gun that everybody is predicting.

We don't want to risk taking a raging bull mid/fwd with a hip problem, but we'll take the chance on an overweight, diabetic & injury prone full forward that is 3 inches shorter than the other key forwards coming through the system.

Maybe the other forwards are to tall. Rooy and Roughead were about the best forwards this year and they are 193cm. As for being a diabetic well that matters as much as being a left footer. The overweight thing is an advantage because he wont be allowed to be overweight when playing AFL footy so he should become quicker, faster and fitter.
He's not overweight, just needs to get a bit more definition. Three months in an AFL system will see him right. He's got some growing to do as well, I'm told. Paddy will shape up, he's not that far off now.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

We'll I'm confused.

Some say big goal kicking forwards are passé, overrated and totally reliant on mids to deliver the ball to them.

We are told mids win games/flags.

Yet one modern, hip, young team seems keen to collect as many of these big goal slotters as possible.

And yet another team is prepared to pay $1,000,000 a year for one of these tall freaks despite having an abundance of young match winning mids.

So is it really such a stupid, crazy, insane idea to grab big Paddy???

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: So is it really such a stupid, crazy, insane idea to grab big Paddy???
yes

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

+1

Twomey has him coming to us...sounds like he's had some mail

Not trading for Picks 4 and 6(7) will look even stupider if we take McCartin

Our recruiters are effectively saying:

McCartin > Petracca > Wright and Pickett

Seriously hope we're wrong here, but I reckon the Boyd deal has spooked them and the recruitment staff have been sucked in by what a great story McCartin is...overcoming Diabetes (which is an issue btw!) and organizing his life etc etc

Take the gun midfielder set to be the next Judd FFS
Last edited by fugazi on Tue 25 Nov 2014 10:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

He's not overweight, just needs to get a bit more definition. [/quote]

That's exactly the excuse I keep using to the wife!

Nee!
andrewg
Club Player

We must get Petracca...that's it

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

+1

Seriously hope we're wrong here, but I reckon the Boyd deal has spooked them and the recruitment staff have been sucked in by what a great story McCartin is...overcoming Diabetes (which is an issue btw!) and organizing his life etc etc

Diabetics is not even a slight issue.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Maybe they'll go Angus Brayshaw

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Not trading for Picks 4 and 6(7) will look even stupider if we take McCartin
I've never seen anything official from the club in regards to what was offered for pick 1.

The same bloke who "broke" the McCartin scoop also reckons GWS never offered pick 4 - only picks 6 & 7.

If that was the case we would have been mad to trade regardless of which player we were keen on.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

+1

How does this guy get the mail?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Burkey 1
Club Player

The club has always said they will take the best player.....Industry is saying its Christian Petracca.....Saints view might be different, I am hoping it is Petracca, either way I think Saints and Demons will have the 3 best players in this years draft.

I don't see why if we go with Petracca we cant pick up another Key Forward later on for pick 21/22, apparently there are a few....Mckenzie being touted around ??

Freebird
Club Player

I'm afraid that passing on Petracca will gift Melbourne into becoming a very powerful team

SinCitySainter
Club Player

All this talk about must take the best midfielder as any old forward will do if you have a gun midfield is garbage.

You need quality in all areas to win the big one and maybe we get the best player with pick one and maybe we don't.

However, to say you should always go for the midfielder is patently stupid by that logic we should have gone for Didac over Roo.

Trixilver
Club Player

I'm beginning to feel that if we get McCartin and pick up two great mids at 21 & 22, I'll be satisfied.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

How does Twomey get the mail?
He'd have the phone number of most of the recruiters and the player managers.

Nee!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Pick Petracca as we need a gun midfielder. Don't forget we've got Buddy White in the wings for our next key forward.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:We'll I'm confused.

Some say big goal kicking forwards are passé, overrated and totally reliant on mids to deliver the ball to them.

We are told mids win games/flags.

Yet one modern, hip, young team seems keen to collect as many of these big goal slotters as possible.

And yet another team is prepared to pay $1,000,000 a year for one of these tall freaks despite having an abundance of young match winning mids.

So is it really such a stupid, crazy, insane idea to grab big Paddy???
No it isn't.

Razor
Club Player

Feel sick in the guts at the thought of drafting McCartin. What in the hell are they thinking? The modern game demands players being able to play multiple positions. Where is chubby fat ass Mccartin going to play apart from full forward? Can anyone show me one highlight where he looks half athletic.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Jungle drums are beating loud now...

Can remember the Kruzer/Cotchin and Watts/NicNat drafts being similar and #2 making a late run for consideration...

I've already gotten attached to Petracca!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Let's put up a poll after draft day, for posterity, for those who voted Petracca and those who backed in the recruitment staff on McCartin......refer to it in 5 years time.

First pick is a list managers greatest dream and worst nightmare....and I reckon ours are about to blink.

Nee!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
crippsy wrote:

But what happens if we take petracca and mccartin is the best key forward in the competition and is intsrumental in winning premierships for melbourne? Same logic applies wouldnt want to elshaug at all but possibly that explains all the lengthy interviews with both
The guy who is taken at pick 59 might become the best player in the comp, but right now we should take the player who is most likely to become the best - which has widely been accepted as petracca for months…

If we choose someone else and get it wrong we are a complete basket case.
Pull yourself together son.
What if the internet is wrong...and real people are right?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Razor wrote:Feel sick in the guts at the thought of drafting McCartin. What in the hell are they thinking? The modern game demands players being able to play multiple positions. Where is chubby fat ass Mccartin going to play apart from full forward? Can anyone show me one highlight where he looks half athletic.
See this is where it just gets silly.

I get that you want Petracca. I get that 90% or so of the "experts" probably have Petracca going at #1.

But that same 90% or so of the "experts" probably have McCartin going at #2 of at the latest #3.

Why would that be the case if he was simply an unathletic, chubby full forward?

Regardless of who you want at pick 1 the "experts" all agree that McCartin is a talented young footballer with a big career ahead of him.

Is it really necessary to put the kid down, especially as he's a realistic chance to come to us?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Pull yourself together son.
What if the internet is wrong...and real people are right?
No
And how dare you say that about the Internet.