Saints- Pass or Fail for Trade Period?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints- Pass or Fail for Trade Period?

HitTheBoundary wrote:
tony74 wrote:Think you may find the big ticket item will line up for us in 2016. In the meantime it's all about bolstering the midfield.
So you're thinking Petracca with pick 1?
He said 2016 and so he may mean Cameron.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

So in two years we have dunny billings acres prob petracca plus picks 21 & 22 to come plus membry for SFA.
Plus next year a nice low pick, prob in top 5 and more than likely sniffing around a gun out of contract in Cameron.

Look at the big picture of the draft building plan over 3 to 4 years.

Looks good to me so far

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Fail

Did we even know the Trade period was happening

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Royston
Club Player

Agree....it's the sum of all parts and I don't know what peeps expect. I am happy to have Pick 1 (Petracca it better be), Membry
and 21 & 22.
We need to try something different with a forward line minus Stanley....imagine another year of 'more of the same'....
Roo 1 year closer to retiring and no succession plan. Play Spencer, Lee, Membry and a como of others, see how they go
and then insert FA for 2016.
Imagine it was Cameron.....if you think the buzz around Boyd is big - fast forward 12 months and swap Boyd for Cameron !!

matrix wrote:So in two years we have dunny billings acres prob petracca plus picks 21 & 22 to come plus membry for SFA.
Plus next year a nice low pick, prob in top 5 and more than likely sniffing around a gun out of contract in Cameron.

Look at the big picture of the draft building plan over 3 to 4 years.

Looks good to me so far

howlinwolf
Club Player

I give the trade period an A+.

We didn't sell the farm for half of what's it worth because we went into a "panic share sell off"
We held our nerve, we knew what our prize was worth, threw it out there for a fool to pay overs and it didn't happen.

So we're stuck with the No.1 draft pick !
Some people would complain if you'd pi55ed on them when they were on fire !

Build an invincible midfield and the others will come. :D

Get the Pet, Get the Pet !!

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote:Agree....it's the sum of all parts and I don't know what peeps expect.
It is not what we expect, but how the club went. This thread is just a rating of whether you think in the trading period that the Saints outperformed, were just average or under-performed. So it is IMO no different to discussing how the Saints went in say a particular football match.

Last year IMO we outperformed. Did brilliantly.

This year IMO we underperformed.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Last year IMO we outperformed. Did brilliantly.

This year IMO we underperformed.
This year we did what we had to do. And what we were able to do given it takes two to tango.

We didn't slay it.

We didn't dazzle it.

We simply did the right things in the circumstances.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

From Jon Ralph in the Hun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7092874309

"ST KILDA — DISTINCTION

IN: Nil

OUT: Rhys Stanley. James Gwilt

DRAFT PICKS: 1, 21, 22, 41, 78, 96, 114

VERDICT: This might have been a high distinction if they had lured GWS into offering picks 4, 6 and 7 for their No. 1, which they believed was a chance. But it is highway robbery for them to get pick 21 for Rhys Stanley, who they knew had a nice highlights reel but did little for most of the time. For the second straight year they have three picks inside 22, a big tick. And they will get Tim Membrey for a packet of chips. They just love likely No. 1 draft pick Christian Petracca, who they believe is a game-changer. Think Dangerfield — dynamic and strong and with breakaway speed.
"

I'd be pretty happy with that if I was our recruiting team. He gives Sydney and WCE a "Fail", and marks Freo "Absent". Only Brisbane and the Hawks were rated higher. And many lower … FWIW.

Always loyal
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

howlinwolf wrote:I give the trade period an A+.

We didn't sell the farm for half of what's it worth because we went into a "panic share sell off"
We held our nerve, we knew what our prize was worth, threw it out there for a fool to pay overs and it didn't happen.

So we're stuck with the No.1 draft pick !
Some people would complain if you'd pi55ed on them when they were on fire !

Build an invincible midfield and the others will come. :D

Get the Pet, Get the Pet !!
Spot on.

I can't believe the disappointment from the vast majority. Mostly based on chinese whispers on fan forums. Seriously, people should be happy that we didn't cave in & give pick 1 up for 2 lesser talents.

Don't forget that we're building a team for 2018 & beyond....not 2015.

The Raging Bull will have us all salivating for years to come

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Seems like this kid seriously has his head screwed on straight and is in a sports mad family. Has every chance of making it.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I'm sitting on the fence about the OP's proposition.

With Stanley gone though at least I don't have to listen to the Mrs saying he's crap.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

SemperFidelis wrote:From Jon Ralph in the Hun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7092874309

"ST KILDA — DISTINCTION

IN: Nil

OUT: Rhys Stanley. James Gwilt

DRAFT PICKS: 1, 21, 22, 41, 78, 96, 114

VERDICT: This might have been a high distinction if they had lured GWS into offering picks 4, 6 and 7 for their No. 1, which they believed was a chance. But it is highway robbery for them to get pick 21 for Rhys Stanley, who they knew had a nice highlights reel but did little for most of the time. For the second straight year they have three picks inside 22, a big tick. And they will get Tim Membrey for a packet of chips. They just love likely No. 1 draft pick Christian Petracca, who they believe is a game-changer. Think Dangerfield — dynamic and strong and with breakaway speed.
"

I'd be pretty happy with that if I was our recruiting team. He gives Sydney and WCE a "Fail", and marks Freo "Absent". Only Brisbane and the Hawks were rated higher. And many lower … FWIW.
He obviously hasn't spoken to Stinger :D

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
noob
Club Player

Pass considering the current list setup. Not too many players at the club had a trade value of pick 20 or better, so we probably couldn't do much more.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Got the feeliung it was as frustrating for the recruiters as it was for all of us.....I was surprised we didn't have a crack at Sam Frost though.
We surely have to take Petracca now....who do we think we can get with 21 AND 22?

Nee!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Havent bothered to read all but im sure a few said a pass. Cant see how it could possibly be a pass. Lets just compare this year to last time we finished last. The problem we have this year is most players from other clubs realise we haven't bottomed out and secondly we have a no name coach. Was always going to be a fail. Next year is very important to us or we could be in for the longest rebuild in the history of footy. Yep Fail unfortunately and probably with no chance of it being better than that.

robbie muir
Club Player

Overall I am quite happy with the way things panned out.
If it is true that GWS offered 4 & 7 in exchange for 1 & 21 , I am glad we didn't take it.
Reading between the lines we will definitely take Petracca. If you look at his highlights reel , the kid can play.
In addition we will get Membrey for nothing in the PSD.
Pick 21 for Stanley is overs in my book. He has teased us for 6 years. He might occasionally take a good mark and kick a goal from outside 50 but he is not a good reader of the play.
With 21 & 22 we should be able to get 2 reasonably good players and a speculative one at 41.
Don't forget Rome wasn't built in a day . It will take more than a couple of drafts to recover from the years we took Polo , Gamble and others.
I can't understand how some on the forum saying we failed in the trade period. For me it is a clear win.

evo
Club Player

In effect we have lost Stanley and gained dp #21. Loosing Lenny to retirement and not attracting at least one good, to very good player to our club puts our list looking very threadbare.

lefty
Club Player

Neutral

Losing Stanley imo is a big loss, you don't find players like him.
Getting Membrey in the PSD is a win.

I just feel losing Stanley is going to be very bad.
Some people rate him, some don't.
When Rhys is on, he's a gun. When he's off, every cracks it.
He's still very young and if half the people commenting when to the majority of games, you would of seen a much better Stanley than the previous years. He gave a great chop out for Roo, now all our ace's are on Spencer White.

groupie1
Club Player

Let's be fair:
Last year our drafting of Billings, Dunstan and Acres looks to have been a long-term success. Templeton and Holmes look likely to become the same.
We swapped a ruckman who can't get three inches off the ground for a ruckman who may be a decent ruck, or future trade bait.

We filled immediate gaps with Delaney and Bruce.
Picked up Savage who will fulfill the role Gram fulfilled when Gram could play (in his one year of greatness).

We lost Dal Santo, who would have become a 300-gamer.

Picked up Mav Weller... will be a decent player.

On balance, it was a success, which came at a cost (Dal Santo)

This year
We'll get the best kid in the country, and, if our recruiting is up to the challenge, 21 and 22 should be good. They're about the same positions as Dunstan and Acres were picked last year (taking father-son/academy selections into account).

If we end up with another 3 promising players in the draft, Membrey shows promise, and a fit ruck division plus White cover for Stanley, we win.

I think some perspective we need to have is the excellent drafting during the Watters era: Newnes, Webster, Murdoch, White.
Maybe they see something worth pursuing with in Tom Lee and Siposs.

We were busier last year; but this year may yet prove to be successful if Elshaugh nails 21 and 22.

I am only disappointed they didn't manage to offload Gilbert, Ray, Schneider, etc to GWS for another pick inside 10.

What happened to Milera, by the way? Did he get to move to Adelaide or are we keeping him?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
fingers
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Fail.

It was odd to trade our one ruckman who can go forward, and draft another mid-size forward.

We actually traded a ruckman who can go forward and do nothing.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote:Boyd may turn out to be a very good player but it will be interesting to see whether it creates any unrest at the Bulldogs with their other young guns and what they think they are worth in comparison. It's a big punt on a young player who hasn't shown a lot as yet. If the Saints are going to throw that sort of money around I would prefer it was for someone with more of a track record.
I think you're spot on. I wonder how much Bomptempelli, Stringer and the other guns will ask for next year when their 2 years is up. How hard will it to be to entice some of those to leave?
I'm sure they are asking the same questions to themselves and would be quitely amused. The Bulldogs have a lot to lose but possibly a lot to gain. It's boom or bust. Will be interesting to see how they go in the next 2 or 3 years.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:Let's be fair:
Last year our drafting of Billings, Dunstan and Acres looks to have been a long-term success. Templeton and Holmes look likely to become the same.
We swapped a ruckman who can't get three inches off the ground for a ruckman who may be a decent ruck, or future trade bait.

We filled immediate gaps with Delaney and Bruce.
Picked up Savage who will fulfill the role Gram fulfilled when Gram could play (in his one year of greatness).

We lost Dal Santo, who would have become a 300-gamer.

Picked up Mav Weller... will be a decent player.

On balance, it was a success, which came at a cost (Dal Santo)

This year
We'll get the best kid in the country, and, if our recruiting is up to the challenge, 21 and 22 should be good. They're about the same positions as Dunstan and Acres were picked last year (taking father-son/academy selections into account).

If we end up with another 3 promising players in the draft, Membrey shows promise, and a fit ruck division plus White cover for Stanley, we win.

I think some perspective we need to have is the excellent drafting during the Watters era: Newnes, Webster, Murdoch, White.
Maybe they see something worth pursuing with in Tom Lee and Siposs.

We were busier last year; but this year may yet prove to be successful if Elshaugh nails 21 and 22.

I am only disappointed they didn't manage to offload Gilbert, Ray, Schneider, etc to GWS for another pick inside 10.

What happened to Milera, by the way? Did he get to move to Adelaide or are we keeping him?
Milera will go home for nothing. Big fail there by the Saints.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
How can that be a fail?

There was zero interest.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
How can that be a fail?

There was zero interest.
The fail was trading him in the first place. Wasn't good enough for the AFL

dragit
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
How can that be a fail?

There was zero interest.
The fail was trading him in the first place. Wasn't good enough for the AFL
Like 75% of players that are drafted…

I think he was worth a try, clearly has talent & he didn't cost us anything, so I wouldn't call it a big fail.

31 goals in 30 games says he isn't a complete spud.