Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

Going by all the varied opinions on here, I'd say pick 21 is about right. My personal view I'd like to see them upgrade that pick a few places, taking into account his marks around the ground, his versatility & games played. Any pick from 16 to 21 is as much value as Rhys has shown & I think will be the best offer we would get for him over the next 5 years.

jaxons
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Couldn't be bothered reading past page one so sorry if repeating things. Firstly Im not sure Jaxons can claim this one. Was on SEN right at that time though I believe he has some knowledge of trades going from Ben last year.

Anyway 21 is overs for Stanley however that doesn't make the trade a good one. Pick 21 is a very maybe pick. We have spent 6 years getting this guy better and he is slowly improving so that has to be thought of. Secondly we lose our only second ruckman. That is a huge loss. Losing him as a forward isn't a great loss. Its touch and go. They will obviously trade him but I think it isn't a great move. If anyone has any ideas who can help in the ruck I would be very interested.

Hi Plugger
Not trying to claim it or be first with the news, don't really care for that either way.
I knew about this 2 weeks ago however, but there are some things that I can't post on here as I am trying not to hurt the club or player involved until everyone is in agreement.
Lots of things are mooted in trade week and lots of things don't happen, so trying to give you guys accurate information when it is going to happen.
This will happen, so could put it on here now.
I bet SEN didn't mention that we are also giving a late pick back to the Cats as part of the deal?

sax
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Couldn't be bothered reading past page one so sorry if repeating things. Firstly Im not sure Jaxons can claim this one. Was on SEN right at that time though I believe he has some knowledge of trades going from Ben last year.

Anyway 21 is overs for Stanley however that doesn't make the trade a good one. Pick 21 is a very maybe pick. We have spent 6 years getting this guy better and he is slowly improving so that has to be thought of. Secondly we lose our only second ruckman. That is a huge loss. Losing him as a forward isn't a great loss. Its touch and go. They will obviously trade him but I think it isn't a great move. If anyone has any ideas who can help in the ruck I would be very interested.

Hi Plugger
Not trying to claim it or be first with the news, don't really care for that either way.
I knew about this 2 weeks ago however, but there are some things that I can't post on here as I am trying not to hurt the club or player involved until everyone is in agreement.
Lots of things are mooted in trade week and lots of things don't happen, so trying to give you guys accurate information when it is going to happen.
I bet SEN didn't mention that we are also giving a late pick back to the Cats as part of the deal?
Trade Radio did!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
lefty
Club Player

Um, I think its a bit silly trading Stanley.

Out of Longer, Stanley and Hickey, he is the only one that can go forward, take big marks and kick goals.
Lets face it, Longer is not good enough yet, and Hickey has an ongoing issue with his knee.

Its not like trading a midfielder, where you can easily replace them.
Finding a tall target that is fast and mobile is very difficult.

I think Geelong win here easily, disappointing as Rhys could be anything.
I think you'd find if the team/midfield are on top, the forwards also get on top. If we get belted by 100+ points, the forwards can't really do much, ie the Hawthorn game.

Not really happy tbh, now it will be "kick it to Roo or no one", there's not even Maister, and you better hope White comes on rapidly.
I'd be much more comfortable with Longer going and Stanley staying.
I can't stand the thought of watching the ball be continually kicked to Roo vs 3 players every single time, sigh......

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If we give up a later pick and Stanley for pick 21 it's a dumb trade. There is no such thing as overs. The fact that a team will pay $1 million a year to an 18 yo who has played 7 games shows there are no overs in footy. If you are buying something on potential the price is what someone is willing to pay.

If we were getting Geelongs teens pick and putting up our second pick or something to target a very highly rated kid I could see logic but I'm not sure what they are doing now. We now have too many same type rucks. Hopefully we can get Pierce to play that role or drop Holmes in there because what we don't need is another frickin ruckman in development.

Peter Wright had better be a kick arse forward if that is who we are after.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I hate to say I told you so but ...

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Pick No 21 is not much use.
Now if we could get our hands on pick No14 that would be worth chasing.
I would trade picks Nos 21 and 22 for pick No 14.

If Geelong think Stanley is only worth pick No 21 then how about
Pick No 22 and Rhys Stanley for pick No 14.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
jaxons
Club Player

ace wrote:Pick No 21 is not much use.
Now if we could get our hands on pick No14 that would be worth chasing.
I would trade picks Nos 21 and 22 for pick No 14.

If Geelong think Stanley is only worth pick No 21 then how about
Pick No 22 and Rhys Stanley for pick No 14.
Glad you are not doing deals for us Ace!
Your proposed deal means we trade Stanley to jump up 8 places in the draft and we would have picks 1, 14, 41....whereas now we will have 1, 21, 22, and 41 thanks!
Pick 21 not much use.....you are kidding right?
Lets see what you say about the player we take with pick 21 in 12 months time.

jaxons
Club Player

gringo wrote:If we give up a later pick and Stanley for pick 21 it's a dumb trade. There is no such thing as overs. The fact that a team will pay $1 million a year to an 18 yo who has played 7 games shows there are no overs in footy. If you are buying something on potential the price is what someone is willing to pay.

If we were getting Geelongs teens pick and putting up our second pick or something to target a very highly rated kid I could see logic but I'm not sure what they are doing now. We now have too many same type rucks. Hopefully we can get Pierce to play that role or drop Holmes in there because what we don't need is another frickin ruckman in development.

We are giving up a pick we won't be using, not sure how that's dumb.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

Hi Plugger

Funny that you mentioned it a minute after another poster mentioned it on here. And no mention of another pick then. I heard about it 6 weeks ago. At the least the poster who mentioned it first on here stated he heard it off SEN. Co incidence. Could be. Happy to give you Ben last year. Im not giving you this. Why you would even both to care is a little strange. Anyway don't worry about me because there are plenty who rate you.

Beekay
SS Life Member

Pull the trigger on Tom Lamb?

If De Goey lasted to that pick I'd be slightly giddy. That kid has it. One-two-three punch with Billings & Petracca.

saint6709
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
gringo wrote:If we give up a later pick and Stanley for pick 21 it's a dumb trade. There is no such thing as overs. The fact that a team will pay $1 million a year to an 18 yo who has played 7 games shows there are no overs in footy. If you are buying something on potential the price is what someone is willing to pay.

I would keep Stanley and trade Longer and a low unusable pick for a higher pick from GWS who to the best of my knowledge are short on ruck stock

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

Don't we have to upgrade 3 rookies?

Beekay
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Happy to give you Ben last year. Im not giving you this.
Oh great and powerful Plugski, ruler of lands and king of his kin, bestower of power and overlord of Men. Knight me with gift and acknowledgement of feat.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:Honestly how good do people think Stanley will become?

Forget the ultra top liners, so as good as Jack Riewoldt/ Taylor Walker??.. No hope.
Josh Kennedy (WCE)? Kurt Tippet? Also no hope, so let's go a tier lower.

Will he be as good as Chris Dawes? I think Dawes has him covered, although it's a toss up.

I'd just like some feedback as to a comparison as to how good he'll become, after 5 full seasons in the system?

Brad Ottens was used before.. As I mentioned, former number 2 draft pick and real natural footballer, is a terrible comparison. Ottens is 4 times the player.
I don't think too much of any of those forwards to be honest and reckon Stanley is probably a little closer than that. Tippet in particular is yet to validate his wage.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Happy to give you Ben last year. Im not giving you this.
Oh great and powerful Plugski, ruler of lands and king of his kin, bestower of power and overlord of Men. Knight me with gift and acknowledgement of feat.

Weird unit. It seems you care enough about the crap I write to waste your time commenting. I actually love Jaxons. Next time try humour.

Beekay
SS Life Member

What do clouds wear under their shorts?
Thunderpants

jaxons
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
jaxons wrote:

Yeah, but we can upgrade rookies with up to pick 200, that doesn't matter.
We won't take a live pick past #41.
4 kids and Membrey in the PSD, plus 3-4 rookie upgrades.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
jaxons wrote:

I know that but at the moment we don't have enough picks. Certainly rules out trading pick one for 2 or 3 picks. I know Schneider will retire but it also means a contracted player will be delisted. And also reckon stopping at 41 is madness. And what about the PSD?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

What's really going on in this forum??? It's a real pick measuring contest here.

Who cares who said what first??? We all follow St Kilda, I'm guessing & all have opinions, some good, some not so good & some bizarre...just like the outer, play on people.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:What's really going on in this forum??? It's a real pick measuring contest here.

Who cares who said what first??? We all follow St Kilda, I'm guessing & all have opinions, some good, some not so good & some bizarre...just like the outer, play on people.
Its is.

jaxons
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
jaxons wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
jaxons wrote:

I know that but at the moment we don't have enough picks. Certainly rules out trading pick one for 2 or 3 picks. I know Schneider will retire but it also means a contracted player will be delisted. And also reckon stopping at 41 is madness. And what about the PSD?

Sorry mate, not sure what you mean by not enough picks?
You mean not enough spaces on our list I presume?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

our list is going to be the same average age as GWS the way we are going. Only problem is they have way more talent.
Wooden spoon here we come again, and again, and again.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote:

So are we only using 1, 21, 22 and 41 in the draft?

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

No deal as far as I'm concerned. Not enough.
Just about to take a bit step forward in consistency
Show some loyalty to your players st kilda