Mav Weller

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rosco
Club Player

Re: Mav Weller

longtimesaint wrote:
St Lenny wrote:If we traded Mav we would be mad. He has been fantastic.
Can we retain him as a rookie or can other clubs draft him?
Can stay as a rookie for 3 years I believe

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
St Lenny wrote:If we traded Mav we would be mad. He has been fantastic.
Can we retain him as a rookie or can other clubs draft him?
Can stay as a rookie for 3 years I believe
Locked in for two years, if he agrees he can stay for a third without being redrafted. But if he goes well next year presumably someone else would make him an offer.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

From the Pelican tonight:

"Maverick's management and the club have agreed that he will remain with the us next year either as a senior listed or rookie"

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if there are behaviour issues with him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I wonder if there are behaviour issues with him.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Something seriously amiss with Mav Weller not being included in the futurefest and Pelchens 'vague' answer in the twitter chat, he'll be styaing with us either as a rookie or senior listed player...not a glowing endorsement...i read that as depends on how all our trading goes as to where he lies...I wonder how he feels about Eli being bumped straight onto the senior list etc...

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yep something has gone amiss

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
FQF
SS Life Member

Very strange. There must be more than meets the eye on this one.

savatage
SS Life Member

They probably just want the option to trade in/draft someone else onto the primary list. I think you're probably reading too much into it.

RW&B
Club Player

savatage wrote:They probably just want the option to trade in/draft someone else onto the primary list. I think you're probably reading too much into it.

Keeping a spot on the senior list makes complete sense but why upgrade a 19 yo Templeton who played a handful of games and is coming off a serious injury over a 22 yo Weller who played the majority, top 10 bnf and was uninjured. Shenton and Minch had to be upgraded if we wanted to keep them due to the 3 year rule. Does seem strange to me.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
dragit
Saintsational Legend

RW&B wrote:
savatage wrote:They probably just want the option to trade in/draft someone else onto the primary list. I think you're probably reading too much into it.

Keeping a spot on the senior list makes complete sense but why upgrade a 19 yo Templeton who played a handful of games and is coming off a serious injury over a 22 yo Weller who played the majority, top 10 bnf and was uninjured. Shenton and Minch had to be upgraded if we wanted to keep them due to the 3 year rule. Does seem strange to me.
Bingo.

savatage
SS Life Member

RW&B wrote:

Well since Pelchen already mentioned that he would be kept on the list as either a rookie/senior list player - it sounds like a decision on elevation will happen after the trade period. Who knows the reason, they may have just negotiated Eli's contract with his management first & it's as simple as that. Either way he's still on our list so it's hardly an issue.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

That he has not been elevated yet after quite a good season I find interesting.

IMO I think it means that Pelchen has in mind some midfield targets that if we land, will mean that Weller is not as required and hence he would stay a rookie. This would include whether we have pick one and use it on Petracca.

If they do not land their midfield targets, then he may be elevated.
So for example take Petracca, land ORouke and perhaps say another player who can run through the midfield then Weller stays a rookie.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i actually think it has more to do with the list numbers more than anything else ... i think we may have our eye on a specific amount of draft picks we want to use but we need to do some dealing through trade week to find out if we have them or not also i think we are waiting to see if we land any players before we make the call on Schnider .. so basically if Schnides "retires" and Mav stays on the rookie list then the trade period has gone to plan .. if we keep schnides then we obviously didnt get the player we were hoping to get ... if we upgrade Mav then the trades to get the ammount of draft picks we wanted might not have worked out ...
its about keeping our options open

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Rosco
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i actually think it has more to do with the list numbers more than anything else ... i think we may have our eye on a specific amount of draft picks we want to use but we need to do some dealing through trade week to find out if we have them or not also i think we are waiting to see if we land any players before we make the call on Schnider .. so basically if Schnides "retires" and Mav stays on the rookie list then the trade period has gone to plan .. if we keep schnides then we obviously didnt get the player we were hoping to get ... if we upgrade Mav then the trades to get the ammount of draft picks we wanted might not have worked out ...
its about keeping our options open
ok, but why not elevate Eli later, keeping another option open?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

we dont know the dynamics inside the club ...
remember Eli got a game before Mav did to start off with so maybe Eli has a bit more than Mav does ... given Eli's first games there may have been enough shown to say he is going to make it before he got injured also the way he dealt with his injury with the rehab etc may have put him forward more ...

also from a marketing point Eli is more marketable as a saints player then Mav is .... chances are both are part of the longer term planning of the team but at this stage its more attractive to maybe have a third top 22 pick on the list then it is to have Mav on the list .. if we dont get that third pick in the top 22 then its prob worth putting mav on over a potential pick 30 draft pick ..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/