Rod Owen Story

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rod Owen Story

perfectionist wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:...Surely you jest, naming Graham Gellie in the same sentence as Bill Stephenson and John McIntosh?
John McIntosh was a class of his own, but Graeme Gellie wasn't too far behind. In fact, I would rate him around the level of Joel Selwood. Graeme was the full package - quick, tougher than nails, skilled on both sides, especially with handball and he could take a contested mark with an excellent leap. He won the B&F in his first year in 1978 - his first year! - and there were some good players in that side. Alas, as we all know, he did his knee pre season 1979, and although there were a couple of attempted comebacks, he could no longer run. The last game he played in 1978 was against Carlton in Round 22. They were third and we were 6th (there was a final 5 then). Whilst it was still possible that we could make the finals, we needed Fitzroy to beat Geelong at Cat Park, something they was rare. However, we smashed Carlton, in probably our best win for the year, and Graeme Gellie was BOG. Not only did he have 17 kicks but he had 14 handpasses, just to illustrate the point I made above.

He was good but he didn't play long enough to say he was as good as Joel Selwood. Hasn't Selwood finished at least top 10 in the brownlow about 4 times? Reckon that says he is a champion. Gellie wasn't a champion but may have become one.

Freebird
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:...Surely you jest, naming Graham Gellie in the same sentence as Bill Stephenson and John McIntosh?
John McIntosh was a class of his own, but Graeme Gellie wasn't too far behind. In fact, I would rate him around the level of Joel Selwood. Graeme was the full package - quick, tougher than nails, skilled on both sides, especially with handball and he could take a contested mark with an excellent leap. He won the B&F in his first year in 1978 - his first year! - and there were some good players in that side. Alas, as we all know, he did his knee pre season 1979, and although there were a couple of attempted comebacks, he could no longer run. The last game he played in 1978 was against Carlton in Round 22. They were third and we were 6th (there was a final 5 then). Whilst it was still possible that we could make the finals, we needed Fitzroy to beat Geelong at Cat Park, something they was rare. However, we smashed Carlton, in probably our best win for the year, and Graeme Gellie was BOG. Not only did he have 17 kicks but he had 14 handpasses, just to illustrate the point I made above.
Gellie had a hand in most of our goals that day...champion, way ahead of his time. Selwood a good comparison.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
Gellie had a hand in most of our goals that day...champion, way ahead of his time. Selwood a good comparison.

Cant see how but expected.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Loved watching Rod play, got to meet him on more than a few occasions.

His liking of the beer atom may also have had something to do with his short career.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

How many knee reco's did Gellie have, was it more than 1 ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:How many knee reco's did Gellie have, was it more than 1 ?
I believe two. But you have to remember, arthroscopic operations were still not "the thing" back then, in fact, they were very rare. Instead, it was the full cut and cover which, although better than putting in a cast like those in the 50s and 60s, meant little success - at least as resuming football at the previous level was concerned. These days, he would have been up and running within 8 months.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Wow, that 1978 side! If not for the mid season slump, possibly due to all the fuss following that Effndum game(?), that was a premiership that went begging. And to then lose so many players (for various reasons) and fall to the bottom of the ladder for 12 years... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Young. (How, how, how did George not make our Team of the Century???)
Big Carl.
Mad dog. :D
Sidebottom. (People forget just how good he was when he first started.)
Sarau. (IMHO one of our greatest ruckmen... pioneered the mobile ruckman/come ruckrover.)
Super Duper. (IMHO the second best Saint's rover I've seen. Absolute star.)
Rob Elliott. (Very underrated... as was his bro'.)
Callery.
Barks. :D
Russell Greene. :cry:
Perovic. :cry:
Dunne. (Played a couple of very very good years.)
Rexy Hunt. (Lumbering, but still very good, especially if it was dry.)
Lofts. (IMHO this bloke was one of the most underrated players ever to play for us. A star!)
Joffa Cunningham. (Very young then.)
Colling.

and, Graeme Gellie. (The best Saint's rover I've seen... I'd have him in the Team of the Century... despite only the one season.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0g0QIUMP8c
1:20 in, is a glimpse of Gellie goodness...
wins it under pressure,
then under extreme pressure, spots-up a team mate...
then...
the 'check-side' handball (who performs a 'check-side handball? :shock: :D )...
that forces his team mate to run to the correct position!

Oh, and it ends up at full-forward... and...
Young!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Freebird
Club Player

I'm with you Dave, Lofts tough and beautiful kick, but Gellie almost carried the side. No coincidence he was injured when flogged by umpires at western oval

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Yeah that 78 season was a roller coaster. I always had memories that we had a crap first half of the season then came home strong in the second. But looking at the wiki of that season we actually went well in the first 8 games then had a lapse then a revival. I was only 15/16 so that happens sometimes.

Remember the final round very vividly. Listened to it in the radio and celebrated before learning that the win was in vain due to the other result.

Nevertheless, the next day I made sure I was wearing my Sts jumper when I rode to my mates parents shop to get milk - his dad was a fervent Carlscum fan! He smiled and congratulated me but I could sort of see he was pissed off. Lol

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Wow, that 1978 side! If not for the mid season slump, possibly due to all the fuss following that Effndum game(?), that was a premiership that went begging. And to then lose so many players (for various reasons) and fall to the bottom of the ladder for 12 years... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Young. (How, how, how did George not make our Team of the Century???)
Big Carl.
Mad dog. :D
Sidebottom. (People forget just how good he was when he first started.)
Sarau. (IMHO one of our greatest ruckmen... pioneered the mobile ruckman/come ruckrover.)
Super Duper. (IMHO the second best Saint's rover I've seen. Absolute star.)
Rob Elliott. (Very underrated... as was his bro'.)
Callery.
Barks. :D
Russell Greene. :cry:
Perovic. :cry:
Dunne. (Played a couple of very very good years.)
Rexy Hunt. (Lumbering, but still very good, especially if it was dry.)
Lofts. (IMHO this bloke was one of the most underrated players ever to play for us. A star!)
Joffa Cunningham. (Very young then.)
Colling.

and, Graeme Gellie. (The best Saint's rover I've seen... I'd have him in the Team of the Century... despite only the one season.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0g0QIUMP8c
1:20 in, is a glimpse of Gellie goodness...
wins it under pressure,
then under extreme pressure, spots-up a team mate...
then...
the 'check-side' handball (who performs a 'check-side handball? :shock: :D )...
that forces his team mate to run to the correct position!

Oh, and it ends up at full-forward... and...
Young!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

So you want a one season player in the team of the century? Who does he and Young replace Dave. Gellie couldn't make the team of the century as he didn't play enough games and fair enough too. Had a great year but because of injury didn't have a great career.

Anyway the game against Essendon killed us and also we had shocking depth unfortunately.

Mark
Club Player

Question Dave McNamara, if Gellie and Duper were a couple of the best rovers you've seen (and I agrre they were great rovers)
how do you rate Ross Smith, also another great rover? Not having a go at you, just interested in your thoughts as an obvious long
time sainter fan :)

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Mark wrote:Question Dave McNamara, if Gellie and Duper were a couple of the best rovers you've seen (and I agrre they were great rovers)
how do you rate Ross Smith, also another great rover? Not having a go at you, just interested in your thoughts as an obvious long
Hi Mark. Firstly, feel free to have a go. I (though I'm not Rob Caruso) often deserve it. :wink:

I can think of plenty of 'longer' time Sainter fans on here than I, who would know way more than I.

When we first moved to Melbs, the family originally lived at nana's in East Bentleigh, whilst waiting for our house in the 'burbs to be built. (Wish we'd stayed at East Bentleigh.) Sadly, I didn't know there was such a thing as footy till... 1967. :cry:

Don't remember much before the 1971 season. (Still the only time I cried because of the Saints... till Moorabbin was bulldozed. :cry: ) So nearly all my player assessments are with the caveat of 'best I've seen', and that largely dates from 1971. I do remember enough though of John McIntosh to put him in our Team of the Century.

Hence I did not see the best of the likes of Carl nor Ross Smith. I have, so close it doesn't matter, to no memory of the Doc. :( Though from all I've read and heard, I'd still rate him our greatest ever player... comfortably.

I accept Plugg's point re G Gellie and only the one season/not enough games to meet the critera, but I'd still have him in... yep, he was that good... and he was so far ahead of his time. I rate the tragedy of his knee even above the knee tragedy of the title of this thread... and Rod Owen's knee was a tragedy.

John McIntosh's knee was a tragedy. (Easily our best ruckman - that I've seen.) And based on what I've read and heard, so was Bill Stephenson's knee a tragedy that undoubtedly cost us at least a couple of 1960's flags. :cry:

Anyways, as per above, plenty of Saintsationalists know more of our past champs than I. Please feel to share guys n' girls. :D

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Mark wrote:Question Dave McNamara, if Gellie and Duper were a couple of the best rovers you've seen (and I agrre they were great rovers)
Hi Mark. Firstly, feel free to have a go. I (though I'm not Rob Caruso) often deserve it. :wink:

I can think of plenty of 'longer' time Sainter fans on here than I, who would know way more than I.

When we first moved to Melbs, the family originally lived at nana's in East Bentleigh, whilst waiting for our house in the 'burbs to be built. (Wish we'd stayed at East Bentleigh.) Sadly, I didn't know there was such a thing as footy till... 1967. :cry:

Don't remember much before the 1971 season. (Still the only time I cried because of the Saints... till Moorabbin was bulldozed. :cry: ) So nearly all my player assessments are with the caveat of 'best I've seen', and that largely dates from 1971. I do remember enough though of John McIntosh to put him in our Team of the Century.

Hence I did not see the best of the likes of Carl nor Ross Smith. I have, so close it doesn't matter, to no memory of the Doc. :( Though from all I've read and heard, I'd still rate him our greatest ever player... comfortably.

I accept Plugg's point re G Gellie and only the one season/not enough games to meet the critera, but I'd still have him in... yep, he was that good... and he was so far ahead of his time. I rate the tragedy of his knee even above the knee tragedy of the title of this thread... and Rod Owen's knee was a tragedy.

John McIntosh's knee was a tragedy. (Easily our best ruckman - that I've seen.) And based on what I've read and heard, so was Bill Stephenson's knee a tragedy that undoubtedly cost us at least a couple of 1960's flags. :cry:

Anyways, as per above, plenty of Saintsationalists know more of our past champs than I. Please feel to share guys n' girls. :D
Who is out for Gellie and Young?

Mark
Club Player

Thanks Dave McNamara for the detailed reply. I may be of similar vintage to you!
I lived on Centre Rd at East Bentleigh after moving from Brisbane in 1967. Doc was my
hero and I used to run out onto Moorabbin at the start of the game in those days.
I also saw the '68 1st Semi against Geelong (Docs last game for us). Then we transferred to
Sydney :( I'm even more passionate about the Saints now than I was as a 7 year old :)

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Who is out for Gellie and Young?
Guerra and Sweeney.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Whoops, wrong century. Try this one...
St Kilda Team of the Century: 1900–1999
B: Barry Lawrence, Verdun Howell, Kevin Neale
HB: Trevor Barker, Neil Roberts, Daryl Griffiths/Robert Murray (Stevo actually replaces Daryl, but he'd be wasted in defence)
C: Nicky Winmar, Ian Stewart, Lance Oswald
HF: Stewart Loewe, Darrel Baldock, (C) Bill Mohr
F: Dave McNamara , Tony Lockett, Nathan Burke/ Graeme Gellie (or for Ross Smith)
Foll: Carl Ditterich, Robert Harvey, Ross Smith
Int: Barry Breen/George Young , Bill Stephenson, Alan Morrow /John McIntosh ,
Jim Ross
Coach: Allan Jeans
Ok, my criteria for you to disagree with Pluggs. :wink:

I'm ignoring the games limit requirement. (Rightly or wrongly.)
I don't know enough about Jim Ross to have a opinion, so 'ignored' him when looking at who to replace.
I'm picking a 'balanced' team in positions they'd actually line up in... ie; if our ten best players where all ruckmen, I wouldn't pick ten ruckmen unless enough of them could also play other positions.

Well, that was way easier than I thought.
So it's...
- Gellie for Burke (or Smith).
- Young for Breen (seriously, Barry B will always be a Saintas' hero, but even at his best he wasn't half the player George Young was. george Young missing out would be a joke... if it wasn't a disgrace!)
- McIntosh for Morrow (or Dieterich... surely John McI only missed out coz he didn't play enough games).
-Stephenson for Griffiths, and of the blokes I haven't mentioned to date, I'd have Stevo ahead of the Cowboy and Buckets (surely... as per John McI, he only missed because he didn't play enough games.)

In position, something like this...

HB: Trevor Barker, Neil Roberts, Robert Murray
HF: Bill Mohr, Bill Stephenson, Darrel Baldock (C)
F: Dave McNamara, Tony Lockett, George Young
Foll: John McIntosh, Robert Harvey, Graeme Gellie
Int: Ross Smith, Carl Ditterich , Stewart Loewe
Jim Ross

Hmmm... looking a bit top heavy. I'd seriously consider Rod Owen for Buckets.
Definitely so if the ground was an old-school after-dark 'Stewie-enhanced' Moorabbin mud heap. :lol:

And apologies to the likes of Greg Burns, Gary Lofts, Glenn Elliott, Jeff Sarau, Bruce Super Duper, Gary Sidebottom (if you only look at his first couple of seasons, so ok, maybe not).

Ok, that should be controversial enough. Thoughts Team Australia... :wink:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Mark wrote:Thanks Dave McNamara for the detailed reply. I may be of similar vintage to you!
I lived on Centre Rd at East Bentleigh after moving from Brisbane in 1967. Doc was my
hero and I used to run out onto Moorabbin at the start of the game in those days.
I also saw the '68 1st Semi against Geelong (Docs last game for us). Then we transferred to
Sydney :( I'm even more passionate about the Saints now than I was as a 7 year old :)
Hi Mark, seems that you and I have more than the one shared Saints related tragedy. :lol: :cry:

And I do remember us losing that '68 semi. I remember that we beat them easily in the final H&A game, and I remember therefore being pissed-off as to how we could then lose the very next week. :x

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Whoops, wrong century. Try this one...
HB: Trevor Barker, Neil Roberts, Daryl Griffiths/Robert Murray (Stevo actually replaces Daryl, but he'd be wasted in defence)
HF: Stewart Loewe, Darrel Baldock, (C) Bill Mohr
F: Dave McNamara , Tony Lockett, Nathan Burke/ Graeme Gellie (or for Ross Smith)
Foll: Carl Ditterich, Robert Harvey, Ross Smith
Int: Barry Breen/George Young , Bill Stephenson, Alan Morrow /John McIntosh ,
Jim Ross
Ok, my criteria for you to disagree with Pluggs. :wink:

I'm ignoring the games limit requirement. (Rightly or wrongly.)
I don't know enough about Jim Ross to have a opinion, so 'ignored' him when looking at who to replace.
I'm picking a 'balanced' team in positions they'd actually line up in... ie; if our ten best players where all ruckmen, I wouldn't pick ten ruckmen unless enough of them could also play other positions.

Well, that was way easier than I thought.
So it's...
- Gellie for Burke (or Smith).
- Young for Breen (seriously, Barry B will always be a Saintas' hero, but even at his best he wasn't half the player George Young was. george Young missing out would be a joke... if it wasn't a disgrace!)
- McIntosh for Morrow (or Dieterich... surely John McI only missed out coz he didn't play enough games).
-Stephenson for Griffiths, and of the blokes I haven't mentioned to date, I'd have Stevo ahead of the Cowboy and Buckets (surely... as per John McI, he only missed because he didn't play enough games.)

In position, something like this...

Jim Ross

Definitely so if the ground was an old-school after-dark 'Stewie-enhanced' Moorabbin mud heap. :lol:

And apologies to the likes of Greg Burns, Gary Lofts, Glenn Elliott, Jeff Sarau, Bruce Super Duper, Gary Sidebottom (if you only look at his first couple of seasons, so ok, maybe not).

Its hard to take you seriously when you want a one year player in for Burke or Smith. No idea if you are serious about Rod Owen but if you are this conversation has to end now. Mc Intosh was a star but there was a games criteria I believe so he missed out. I couldn't have George Young in even though he was a very good player. Those appologies are obviously jokes as well. Well I hope so. Glad Russell Homlesby picked the side and not your good self.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:In position, something like this...

Jim Ross

Its hard to take you seriously when you want a one year player in for Burke or Smith. No idea if you are serious about Rod Owen but if you are this conversation has to end now. Mc Intosh was a star but there was a games criteria I believe so he missed out. I couldn't have George Young in even though he was a very good player. Those appologies are obviously jokes as well. Well I hope so. Glad Russell Homlesby picked the side and not your good self.
Now Pluggs, I did acknowledge the games number requirement re John McIntosh... a couple of times... you must have missed that. :wink:

Like Tirdy on pushing on with his court appeals, I don't back away for a second on Gellie being our greatest rover that I've seen, despite only the one season.

Which of the 'apologies' do you have an issue with... and why?

Which part of that side looking a bit top heavy, and hence if the ground had been watered overnight by Stewie, I'd play the Rocket for Buckets don't you like? I'd have Stevo ahead of Buckets (and Cowboy and Carl) if 'team balance' came down to them.

But Pluggs, because I know you like the simple things :wink: I'll make this simple for you...

Its hard to take you seriously when you want Barry Breen (a good, and occasionally, a very good player) in for George Young who in good Saints side and in crappy ones... was an out and out...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:In position, something like this...

Jim Ross

Now Pluggs, I did acknowledge the games number requirement re John McIntosh... a couple of times... you must have missed that. :wink:

Like Tirdy on pushing on with his court appeals, I don't back away for a second on Gellie being our greatest rover that I've seen, despite only the one season.

Which of the 'apologies' do you have an issue with... and why?

Which part of that side looking a bit top heavy, and hence if the ground had been watered overnight by Stewie, I'd play the Rocket for Buckets don't you like? I'd have Stevo ahead of Buckets (and Cowboy and Carl) if 'team balance' came down to them.

But Pluggs, because I know you like the simple things :wink: I'll make this simple for you...

Its hard to take you seriously when you want Barry Breen (a good, and occasionally, a very good player) in for George Young who in good Saints side and in crappy ones... was an out and out...

Owen ahead of Loewe has to be a joke. Owen's family wouldn't have in the side or even if we had 5 TOTC sides. And who said I would have Barry Breen ahead of George Young. I said I wouldn't have Young in the side. Who said I would have Breen? Didn't miss the game requirements. Just said it again because a lot seems to go over your head. The ability of certain players for one. Not sure how Stevo helps team balance either. Anyway get back home to fantasy land. It very late and its obviously time for a nap. I too saw Gellie but we obviously saw him differently. had a very good year and won a B&F which was helped by many players missing games that year. One year of his footy doesn't deserve to be in any TOTS no matter how good the year was.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Owen ahead of Loewe has to be a joke. Owen's family wouldn't have in the side or even if we had 5 TOTC sides. And who said I would have Barry Breen ahead of George Young. I said I wouldn't have Young in the side. Who said I would have Breen? Didn't miss the game requirements. Just said it again because a lot seems to go over your head. The ability of certain players for one. Not sure how Stevo helps team balance either. Anyway get back home to fantasy land. It very late and its obviously time for a nap. I too saw Gellie but we obviously saw him differently. had a very good year and won a B&F which was helped by many players missing games that year. One year of his footy doesn't deserve to be in any TOTS no matter how good the year was.
"And who said I would have Barry Breen ahead of George Young."
I'm assuming that's actually a question(?) You asked who I replace in that side. So to keep it simple, Young is in another league c/f Breen. So Young in, Breen out. Are you trying to tell me that Breen should stay in the original side at the expense of George Young? Now Pluggs, we all like a joke (even though you seem not to appreciate knock-knock jokes), but Breen ahead of Young isn't funny... except in a tragic kinda' way.

"Not sure how Stevo helps team balance either. "
A did say that if that was an issue, I'd have him ahead of several tall players currently in that side. Missed that too, or just choice to 'overlook' it? :wink:

"Owen ahead of Loewe has to be a joke."
More 'overlooking' of what I wrote Pluggs? I wrote that if Stewie had done his thing with a hose (I mean fire-type hose, nothing to do with Dandy High School, and hence why Jeansy got rid of him :oops: ), then in the interests of team balance, for that team, yes, Rod Owen for sure. Absolutely nothing against Buckets, but I rate Stevo as even better again... so for team balance on a Stewie-hosed deck... Rod Owen over Buckets.

Oh, Pluggs, I was expecting by now that you would have posted your Team of the Century. Looking forward to that.

Promise I won't bag it... unless the only pre-WW1 (and dual Champion of the Season medal winner, could play any position... need I go on...?) member loses his place. :twisted:

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Ross Smith was mentioned earlier as one to jettison out of the TOTC. Ross was substance over style. Not flashy, skills pretty reasonable, not overly quick, and quite small. Allan Jeans described him as 'quite possibly' the finest person he coached. Because he wasn't flashy he was often under rated.

He was incredibly durable, and always in and around the ball. Very fit, he just ran all day. Got his hands on the ball constantly. He kicked a few goals, and was rarely out of the play. For such a little guy, he was very tough. He was constantly getting bumped and crashed, but seemed to ride his way clear of trouble.

Just a very reliable footballer, a leader, and a constant presence for well over 200 games. You could say he hardly ever played a bad game. And he won a Brownlow.....and he captained Victoria.

You wouldn't leave him out.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Owen ahead of Loewe has to be a joke. Owen's family wouldn't have in the side or even if we had 5 TOTC sides. And who said I would have Barry Breen ahead of George Young. I said I wouldn't have Young in the side. Who said I would have Breen? Didn't miss the game requirements. Just said it again because a lot seems to go over your head. The ability of certain players for one. Not sure how Stevo helps team balance either. Anyway get back home to fantasy land. It very late and its obviously time for a nap. I too saw Gellie but we obviously saw him differently. had a very good year and won a B&F which was helped by many players missing games that year. One year of his footy doesn't deserve to be in any TOTS no matter how good the year was.
"And who said I would have Barry Breen ahead of George Young."
I'm assuming that's actually a question(?) You asked who I replace in that side. So to keep it simple, Young is in another league c/f Breen. So Young in, Breen out. Are you trying to tell me that Breen should stay in the original side at the expense of George Young? Now Pluggs, we all like a joke (even though you seem not to appreciate knock-knock jokes), but Breen ahead of Young isn't funny... except in a tragic kinda' way.

"Not sure how Stevo helps team balance either. "
A did say that if that was an issue, I'd have him ahead of several tall players currently in that side. Missed that too, or just choice to 'overlook' it? :wink:

"Owen ahead of Loewe has to be a joke."
More 'overlooking' of what I wrote Pluggs? I wrote that if Stewie had done his thing with a hose (I mean fire-type hose, nothing to do with Dandy High School, and hence why Jeansy got rid of him :oops: ), then in the interests of team balance, for that team, yes, Rod Owen for sure. Absolutely nothing against Buckets, but I rate Stevo as even better again... so for team balance on a Stewie-hosed deck... Rod Owen over Buckets.

Oh, Pluggs, I was expecting by now that you would have posted your Team of the Century. Looking forward to that.

Promise I won't bag it... unless the only pre-WW1 (and dual Champion of the Season medal winner, could play any position... need I go on...?) member loses his place. :twisted:

Don't do teams and don't have serious discussions with people who would mention Rod owen in any team of the century side unless its the drinking team of the century or the tattslotto team of the century. Rod would feel the same way. By the way I wouldn't have Breen or Young in it. Don't do favourite players as I reckon you have done. Did you see Stevo play much? I never saw him play but I did see Loewe and he was a star for most of his 300 games aswas Burke. Both must play. Well until they add Milne, Hayes, Rooy and maybe Chips.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Don't do favourite players as I reckon you have done.
Blokes I'd include are favourite players... but based on my assessment of their footballing ability.

plugger66 wrote:Did you see Stevo play much?

:? Uhmmmm... did you see the Doc play much Pluggs?

(He was probably over-rated, wouldn't you say? :wink: )

plugger66 wrote:Don't do teams
Now why don't I find that surprising...? :lol:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:By the way I wouldn't have Breen or Young in it.
Then you've forgotten you opening question Pluggs. You asked who in the current team I would leave out so as to include George Young. :idea:

Kah-ching! :wink:

BTW... I thought you didn't do teams...? :?